• Flora del Rio Grande: Well done, Gualtier. Thank you. I had forgot about the Goerke-Soviero tuition, and yes... 5:08 PM
  • Maury D: Death in Venice or: the only opera that has ever given me a non-metaphorical headache. 5:01 PM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Yes, aulus, it was Agrippina! I agree with you about that season and several others... 4:48 PM
  • marshiemarkII: what’s wrong with “flattenR 21; as in lay them supine with pleasure, carisssima... 4:45 PM
  • manou: It’s the “flattenR 21; that bothers me – surely that can’t be the aim? 4:36 PM
  • marshiemarkII: “If she is wearing silk and satin she can flatten any Latin…” Now that’s definitely my... 4:17 PM
  • marshiemarkII: My beloveds all, the gurl shall be back next week, that I promise! hugs to all :-P 4:09 PM
  • Clita del Toro: Today my partner, Mike forced me to buy tickets for four operas at LOC this season: 6... 4:02 PM
  • Gualtier M: I have several times wanted to throw my panties onstage during performances of “Hansel und... 3:53 PM
  • Henry Holland: Thanks so much for posting that JML, a terrific performance. I really liked the conducing and... 3:52 PM

Our retrospection will now be all to the future

La Cieca predicts you will be seeing more of the same old puritans at the Met next season, and she’s not just talking about the ones who slouch around during intermission hissing, “You call that a trill?” But uou will also see six new productions (including a Met premiere of a 21st century work) and the local debut of one of opera’s most controversial stage directors.

UPDATE: Further casting for Wozzeck; see below.

The following information—rumors, all of it, remember—is gleaned and compiled from, oh, all over the place. Some of the more familiar details derive from Brad Wilber‘s old Met Futures site, though obviously in the time since that wonderful resource was removed from the web a little over a year ago, casting and repertoire has evolved significantly and (all modesty aside) your doyenne has done a little sniffing of her own.

Besides the expected return of James Levine to the podium, the biggest news in 2013-2014 at the Met looks to be the New York premiere of Nico Muhly‘s Two Boys and the company’s first performances since 1915 of Borodin’s Prince Igor—in a production by Dmitri Tcherniakov.

The bad news is that three productions have apparently been 86ed: Tannhäuser, Parsifal and Mahagonny.   Also canceled is a new production of I Puritani once planned for Natalie Dessay, who is, so far as can be told, not on the roster for this season. But the Bellini work will be performed in a revival of the familiar Sandro Sequi staging last seen in 2007.

Added to the bill on fairly short notice is a revival of Wozzeck, with three cast members of the defunct Parsifal rolling over.

And so, this is how next season looks likely to shape up at the Met. La Cieca welcomes the cher public’s educated guesses (or, even better, insider information) to fill in the TBA gaps, as well as general speculation. In your doyenne’s opinion, it’s quite an interesting season, even without any Wagner or Weill.

New Productions:

Eugene Onegin (Opening Night), conducted by Valery Gergiev, directed by Deborah Warner. With Anna Netrebko, Ekaterina Semenchuk, Piotr Beczala, Kwiecien, Ferruccio Furlanetto. Also performed later in the season with Marina Poplavskaya, Oksana Volkova, Peter Mattei, Alexei Tanovitski, conducted by Alexander Vedernikov.

Falstaff, conducted by Levine, directed by Des McAnuff. With Angela Meade, Lisette Oropesa, Stephanie Blythe, Ambrogio MaestriFranco Vassallo.

Die Fledermaus, conducted by Adam Fischer, directed by John Hall; new dialogue by David Hirson. With Susanna Phillips, Christine Schaefer, Anthony Roth Costanzo, Michael Fabiano, Paulo Szot.

Prince Igor, conducted by Gergiev, directed by Tcherniakov, choreography by Sergei Alexei Ratmansky. With Oksana Dyka, Semenchuk, Ildar Abdrazakov, Stefan Kocan, Vladimir Ognovenko.

Two Boys (Muhly/Craig Lucas), conducted by David Robertson, directed by Bartlett Sher. Ensemble cast includes Alice Coote, Felicity Palmer, Paul Appleby, Daniel Sumegi.

Werther, conducted by Alain Altinoglu, directed by Richard Eyre. With Oropesa, Elina Garanca, Jonas Kaufmann, David Bizic.

Revivals:

Andrea Chenier: Patricia Racette, Blythe, Marcelo Alvarez, Zeljko Lucic; Gianandrea Noseda.

Arabella: Genia Kuhmeier, Olga Peretyatko, Roberto Sacca, Michael Volle, John Del Carlo; Donald Runnicles. [Title role TBA.]

La Boheme: Maija Kovalevska/Anita Hartig, Joseph Calleja/Vittorio Grigolo, Alexey Markov/Luca Salsi, Massimo Cavalletti; Marco Armiliato/Philippe Auguin.

La Cenerentola: Joyce DiDonato, Juan Diego Florez, Luca Pisaroni, Alessandro Corbelli; Fabio Luisi.

Cosi fan tutte: Phillips, Isabel Leonard, Danielle de Niese, Matthew Polenzani, Rodion Pogossov, Maurizio Muraro; Levine.

L’elisir d’amore: Netrebko, Ramon Vargas.

The Enchanted Island: de Niese, Susan Graham, David Daniels, Placido Domingo, Pisaroni; Patrick Summers.

Die Frau ohne Schatten: Anne Schwanewilms, Christine Goerke, Ildiko Komlosi, Torsten Kerl, Johan Reuter, Richard Paul Fink; Vladimir Jurowski.

Madama Butterfly: Amanda Echalaz, James Valenti/Massimo Giordano, Scott Hendricks.

The Magic Flute (abridged) Jane Glover, conductor.

A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Kathleen Kim, Iestyn Davies; James Conlon.

Norma: Sondra Radvanovsky/Meade, Kate Aldrich, Aleksandrs Antonenko, James Morris; Riccardo Frizza.

The Nose: Szot, Ognovenko, Claudia Waite, Brian Frutiger, Grigory Soloviov.

I Puritani: Lawrence Brownlee, Kwiecien, Michele Pertusi; Michele Mariotti. [Elvira TBA.]

Rigoletto: Alexandra Kurzak, Polenzani, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Kocan; Pablo Heras-Casado.

Der Rosenkavalier: Martina Serafin, Mojca Erdmann, Garanca/Daniela Sindram, Eric Cutler, Hans-Joachim Ketelsen, Peter Rose; Edward Gardner.

Rusalka: Renée Fleming, Emily Magee, Dolora Zajick, Beczala, John Relyea; Yannick Nezet-Seguin.

La Sonnambula: Diana Damrau, Javier Camarena, Michele Pertusi; Armiliato.

Tosca: Racette/Radvanovsky, Roberto Alagna/Marcello Giordani, George Gagnidze.

Wozzeck: Deborah Voigt, Simon O’Neill, Thomas Hampson; Levine.

• belcantomaniac says:

Totally OT, but sorry to hear of Montserrat Caballe’s stroke and hospitalization. Here’s hoping that she’ll recover completely. I can’t believe that this clip is listed as from September 2012!!!

• belcantomaniac says:

Or this one from earlier this summer: http://youtu.be/l4rOt1akbbw

Oh no. I am terribly sorry to hear this. Let us hope she gets the best of care and quickly, too. We love you, Montsy!

• marshiemarkII says:

Oh no……. indeed we truly love you Montsy, hope you recover soon…..

• marshiemarkII says:

Thanks God it is only a “minor” stroke. “A causa de un ictus de carácter leve….” Barcelona paper.

• DonCarloFanatic says:

Don’t want to spoil your relief but often strokes are reported as minor when they cause significant damage. As long as the person can still talk and walk, in fact, they’ll call it minor.

I hope it really was minor.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Scusi, but where is our beloved artist, TBA???? I don’t see her listed at all. I’m sure she’s been at the Met every year since… forever.

• Rory Williams says:

LOL, Bianca, you’re right! I hope such a prolific and reliable artist isn’t retiring.

Some of the greatest performances I have ever heard of Tosca, Traviata, Aïda lottapasta, and Bohème, have ALL been sung by the FABULOUS Signoria Tu Bi Annunziata! Una grande artists e tanto bella~~~!!!!

• quinquin1 says:

OT: La Netrebko just recieved an award in Germany and announced, that she will be signing two new roles at the Bavarian State Opera in Munich until 2015. I could not understand the first one, but the second one was defintely Lady M.

• Buster says:

Erika Köth once had a Met contract, for Queen of the Night, in 1959. She had to learn it in English, which she hated (Zuruck! became Away with You!). Bronchitis then prevented her from singing there:

Zylis-Gara:

Hertha Topper:

• Buster says:

Seefried:

Maria Stader:

Fassbaender:

• Buster says:

Last one: Helen Donath:

• phoenix says:

Thanks for the remembrances -- Hertha wins 1st prize!

• Buster says:

I agree Phoenix, although Seefried is very moving too, like Köth, filmed just a year before she died. I love it when she rehears a very early recording of Baronin Freimann’s aria, and is visibly moved by it, and starts to gesture along, pointing out all the fine touches she made as a young girl. She has not forgotton one little detail! I wish there was a complete Wildschütz with her.

The Schubert clips hidden in the Agnes Giebel interview are unique as well. For those alone the guy who uploaded all this stuff earns all the thanks in the world:

• messa di voce says:

Seefried is a singer I love to distraction, but have to admit she could look quite frumpy during her prime years. She obviously put some work into her appearance during retirement.

I bought a guide book to Vienna before my first visit there that contained a time-line of the city’s history. The two post-war musical events included were the re-opening of the Oper and Seefried’s death.

• sycorax says:

So, concerning the HDs of Bohème and Tosca. Which one do you think will be broadcast?
    For Tosca, are Radvanovsky and Alagna still singing together? If not Racette/Alagna >>>> Rad/Giordani. And if they really plan an HD, why do they cast the same Scarpia?
    For Bohème, none of the cast are really HD stars, though Calleja allready appered in two broadcast. So I would say the Kovalevska/Calleja/Markov one will be the HD. But maybe they’ll be doing it for Grigolo?

Geez. I hope they just scrap the plans for those two HD and broadcast instead Midsummers, Norma (yes, even in that production; can’t be worse than a second HD Bondy Tosca!), or Frau (for that beautiful production that needs a preservation).

• Billys Butt says:

What about Kristine Opolais? As far as I know she will do several roles in the coming MET seasons…

• phoenix says:

Did anyone listen to the Götterdämmerung broadcast on BBC Radio 3 today from ROH?

from wikipedia:

Bullock may refer to:

Bullock (in British English), a castrated male bovine animal of any age

OT (I don’t know where else to put this):

Andrew Richards was scheduled to sing in a few Tosca performances at the Bastille in November, but he has canceled, unfortunately.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

How about in the dedicated thread for OT posts? Smart fellow like you ought to have been able to work that one out!

Terrible news for Mr Richards, I wonder what’s really going on there.

I don’t know about smarts, but I did try to weigh “les pros et les cons” of post placements, if you will excuse my French. Since this is a Met futures thread and Mr. Richards is scheduled for a few Don Josés in February 2013 at the Met, I concluded there is a (tenuous) connection here and I decided to bury my post in this thread.

But anyway, the news is worrisome.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

I’ve kind of lost track -- every time you hear his name it seems to be in connection with another cancellation -- has he performed at all recently?

I do think he has the wrong idea altogether about what his Fach is, but at the same time I never thought that his way of singing was doing him any harm. Officially he is suffering from allergies of course, so it’s frightfully cynical and jumping the gun of me to start talking about what might be up with his singing, but one has to wonder…