• NPW-Paris: (Warning: there’s some pretty dodgy singing on that clip; but that isn’t Erkel’s fault, of course.) 11:35 AM
  • Batty Masetto: “stage right, something that was variously the street, the prop room, and if I’m not mistaken, the unconsciousR... 11:28 AM
  • kashania: Very sweet indeed. Thanks for sharing. 11:28 AM
  • NPW-Paris: It’s a shame that composers like Goldmark and Erkel get so few performances outside Hungary. httpv:// 11:15 AM
  • armerjacquino: danpatter, that is utterly beautiful. Thank you so much. 11:05 AM
  • NPW-Paris: I was supposed t osee her as Norma in Paris in December, but have to be at work that evening. I’m not very pleased about... 11:03 AM
  • NPW-Paris: That’s a useful tip, Manou: I hope to be back there next spring. 10:59 AM
  • NPW-Paris: I think we’re extremely lucky to have her singing such interesting repertoire (and I admit I really don’t mind if... 10:58 AM

Erlösung dem Erlöser!

La Cieca has just heard that the acclaimed production of Parsifal by Stefan Herheim will be telecast and filmed for DVD release next summer in Bayreuth.

• phoenix says:

With who singing what role?

Forgive me for asking. I know the cast is not supposed to matter with such a STUNNING regie, but how skillful the musical aspects of the performance are would determine whether I, for one, would be interested in the thing.

If they have the same Kundry they had this summer, I would advise HRM Katharina the Great to consider replacing her with the legendary Madame Vera Galupe-Borscht, whom I am sure could do a better Kundry than what I heard this summer,

According to someone very familiar with Bayreuth, Philippe Jordan will conduct and Burkhard Fritz will sing the title role (he sang Stolzing this year).

• Please noooo! Fritz’s Stolzing was just awful. Simon O’Neil’s Parsifal this summer wasn’t too great either but Fritz was worse. I liked this year’s Kundry (Susan Maclean), though!

Three cheers for the DVD! I heard the same a few days ago. They were originally planning to record Tannhäuser next summer, as APT says below, but the production was, um, not well-received, so I’m guessing this is a substitution. It seems like a surprisingly (for Bayreuth) sensible decision.

It IS a substitution.

Well, I for one, would take Fritz over Simon O’Neill any day! Not that either of them is great…

• eric says:

I wrote to Madame Vera (Ira Siff) to let her know she’s still remembered fondly in these parts.

She responded “I actually saw that Parsifal last week! I thought she was pretty good, although rather screechy on top -- but then who isn’t these days?
      Thanks for forwarding!”

• Maury D says:

That’s right, these new directors (doesn’t matter which; they are all one snarling, moustache-twirling mass of opera-ruination) don’t want good singing. They’ve actually asked all your friends which singers you like least and are casting ONLY FROM THAT POOL!

Voigt is alternating as Kundry with Fleming. Bostridge and Villazon are sharing Parsifal duties. And Marina Poplavskaya is EVERY SINGLE Flower Maiden.

• Maury D says:

“The role of Kundry in tonight’s performance,” the program reads, “will be performed by the absence of Angela Meade.”

• ianw2 says:

Huh. I thought de niese was at least dancing the flower maidens

• La Cieca says:

La Cieca is not holding back the names of the cast out of sheer perversity; she reported as much as she heard. But please don’t let that prevent you from getting your sniping started a full 12 months in advance.

hope it’s not an erlooser.

• Clita del Toro says:

Can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• A. Poggia Turra says:

So one wonders if this welcome news concerning the Herheim Parsifal means that the planned 2012 filming and webstreaming of the Baumgartner Tannuauser will not take place?

Or, as I hope is the case, is the Parsifal filming in addition to the Tannhauser?

(Saying it another way, is the Parsifal being sponsored (paid for) by a different entity than the Siemens Stiftung, which has sponsored the previous filming/DVD projects (Meistersinger, Tristan, Walkure))?

• Signor Bruschino says:

Now will Herheim be doing his own telecast and video? Not related to the opera… that would make my rainy night.

• OT POST:
    Salvatore Licitra, 43, was one of the leading tenors of the opera national scene, is hospitalized in critical condition in hospital in Catania Garibaldi from injuries sustained in a car crash on the Vespa, which occurred near Modica, in the province of Ragusa, where the artist was going to collect a prize. The artist, perhaps due to a sudden illness, he lost control of the bike crashed to the ground that it would. He suffered extensive trauma to the skull and chest, and was already subject to a delicate surgery to reduce swelling vast.

• CwbyLA says:

This is very sad news. He is really young. I hope he recovers from the traumatic injuries he sustained. I wish him well.

Ahime…It says he was not wearing a helmet but his girlfriend was, and is relatively uninjured in comparison.

I am so terribly sorry for Signor Licitra and pray he will come out of this. I have many memories of him and have always rooted for him. Especially now.

Hopefully, Ercole Farnese will give us more news and keep us current with the situation.

Here’s hoping that La Cieca is fine and was not left alone in the storm. But, if so, maybe Captain Enzo has been able to rescue her so life on Parterre can continue.

“Madre adorata, vieni”.

Cieca, did you finally get your D batteries?

I hope you are all right, as the natives are restless and are clamouring for their new Intermission Feature, s’il vous plait.

• Bart says:

I hear that Bayreuth requires such long rehearsal periods, and most star (famous) singers lose so much money by spending so much time rehearsing, so this is why Bayreuth tends to get so few “stars.” The stars are able to make tons more elsewhere. They don’t want to commit to such long rehearsals. Since their careers can be short lived, in a way you can’t blame them trying to make as much as they can as fast as they can, b/c they are like football players. Their career could end suddenly without notice. I was surprised Kaufmann appeared last year. I bet the cast they scrape up for the dvd will be mediocre at best. I wonder why there are no Wagner singers anymore.

• iltenoredigrazia says:

Or no Verdi singers. Or no verismo singers.

• iltenoredigrazia says:

Singers with Wagner roles in their repertoire value being able to add to their resume that they sang at Bayreuth. Even if only once. It’s like getting Ricky’s blessing.