• uwsinnyc: To me, Devia is one of the greatest singers of this generation. With respect to her limited engagements at the MET, 1.... 1:14 PM
  • Krunoslav: One understands some journalists follow this protocol for interviewing barihunks. Speaking of which, kudos to Jarrett Ott for... 1:11 PM
  • messa di voce: ‘He offered you a part in Cats? I thought you hated Cats. You said it was an all time low in a lifetime of theatre... 1:01 PM
  • Dolciamente Pipo: This is sad news. Is it typical for an ‘incoming executive director’ to shut down a company as his first... 12:59 PM
  • Krunoslav: Miss Albanese’s last Philadelphia Violetta was in 1957; her last Met Violetta was in 1963. *How* useful is the reference... 12:58 PM
  • La Cieca: httpv://www.youtub 19CNIsI 12:54 PM
  • Krunoslav: ‘In my slightly disreputable alter ego as gossip columnist “La Cieca” ‘ Think Bette Davis in HUSH, HUSH, SWEET... 12:45 PM
  • perfidia: What “Jaws” did to movies, “Cats” did to Broadway. 12:44 PM

World weary

You only thought the “BrokebackEugene Onegin was the gayest possible take on the Tchaikovsky “lyric scenes.” Now, along comes La Cieca’s fave director Stefan Herheim‘s extravagant, transgressive, high-camp symbolist (and about a dozen other adjectives) approach to the work, “gay” in the very best sense of gay sensibility. Video after the jump!

For background on how these scenes fit into Herheim’s overall concept, the always insightful Intermezzo is a good place to start.

The letter scene:

Last moments of Lensky’s death, followed by the Polonaise:

Final scene:

And the whole thing may be watched below. (Note: “Verbinden met videoserver” means “Video loading,” so be patient.)

Get Adobe Flash Player
Als het niet mogelijk is Flash te installeren kunt u de video bekijken via deze link.

• werther says:

BTW, Benedikt von Peter SUCKS!!!!! he is a conman. He has absolute no clue whatsoever about anything. TERRIBLE!

• Regina delle fate says:

Gawd -- I’ve only seen on of his productions. A dire Fidelio at the Komische Oper shorn of its overture and performed in the Ur-version in which Florestan was imprisoned in a rubbish skip. A never-again evening for me, anyway.

• werther says:

I saw his Idomeneo there…. appallingly boring. and the whole piece passes him by without him understanding ANYTHING.

• ilpenedelmiocor says:

K, WTF was up with the pathetic entrechat-quatre during the polonaise? Was that a comment on Mother Russia as well?

• Nelly Melbacioiu says:

Is it me or did this whole thread get deleted from the Parterre home page even though it’s still available on the site?

In any case, I look forward to watching the whole Onegin after staying up too late watching the excerpts. Regardless of my verdict on specific moments, there is undeniably a level of directorial intelligence on display here that almost never makes it to the stage of American opera houses.

And I agree with those who think Stoyanova’s Letter Scene seems to be pretty fabulous. A real shame if the conductor has indeed nixed a DVD release.

• louannd says:

I have watched most of it, and that letter scene was some stellar singing. I love opera that makes me think, and, you are right that directorial intelligence is lacking, though I have some high hopes for upcoming Santa Fe productions.