• ML: It’s actually Médée, en français, and it’s high on my list of never-seens too. 2:33 AM
  • Walther von Holzhaufen: Lady Abbado, in my opinion, steveac10 and Krunoslav are right on the money. I would... 2:00 AM
  • guy pacifica: Not sure where this will land, but I have a question for the Parterriani. Today I made final... 1:31 AM
  • Camille: Thank you so much, phoenix. It meant a treat deal to me to hear the sounds of home I hope the Met... 1:20 AM
  • schweigundtanze: I’ve heard much worse Violettas than the Jaho excerpts posted here (which is not to... 12:44 AM
  • DonCarloFanatic: Thanks. I enjoyed hearing it. 11:19 PM
  • ML: As you said weeks ago, in effect, they got greedy. Still, I’m surprised they didn’t put... 11:15 PM
  • ML: Anything Goes doesn’t go at an opera company. 11:10 PM
  • ML: Butterfly is a symphony: lousy conductor (i.e. nearly always) = lousy Butterfly. It is no coincidence... 11:00 PM
  • ianw2: Heavily discounted in Sydney, and that’s after the in-built walk-up benefit of the Opera House... 10:39 PM

World weary

You only thought the “BrokebackEugene Onegin was the gayest possible take on the Tchaikovsky “lyric scenes.” Now, along comes La Cieca’s fave director Stefan Herheim‘s extravagant, transgressive, high-camp symbolist (and about a dozen other adjectives) approach to the work, “gay” in the very best sense of gay sensibility. Video after the jump!

For background on how these scenes fit into Herheim’s overall concept, the always insightful Intermezzo is a good place to start.

The letter scene:

Last moments of Lensky’s death, followed by the Polonaise:

Final scene:

And the whole thing may be watched below. (Note: “Verbinden met videoserver” means “Video loading,” so be patient.)

Get Adobe Flash Player
Als het niet mogelijk is Flash te installeren kunt u de video bekijken via deze link.

• werther says:

BTW, Benedikt von Peter SUCKS!!!!! he is a conman. He has absolute no clue whatsoever about anything. TERRIBLE!

• Regina delle fate says:

Gawd -- I’ve only seen on of his productions. A dire Fidelio at the Komische Oper shorn of its overture and performed in the Ur-version in which Florestan was imprisoned in a rubbish skip. A never-again evening for me, anyway.

• werther says:

I saw his Idomeneo there…. appallingly boring. and the whole piece passes him by without him understanding ANYTHING.

• ilpenedelmiocor says:

K, WTF was up with the pathetic entrechat-quatre during the polonaise? Was that a comment on Mother Russia as well?

• Nelly Melbacioiu says:

Is it me or did this whole thread get deleted from the Parterre home page even though it’s still available on the site?

In any case, I look forward to watching the whole Onegin after staying up too late watching the excerpts. Regardless of my verdict on specific moments, there is undeniably a level of directorial intelligence on display here that almost never makes it to the stage of American opera houses.

And I agree with those who think Stoyanova’s Letter Scene seems to be pretty fabulous. A real shame if the conductor has indeed nixed a DVD release.

• louannd says:

I have watched most of it, and that letter scene was some stellar singing. I love opera that makes me think, and, you are right that directorial intelligence is lacking, though I have some high hopes for upcoming Santa Fe productions.