• Dabrowski: “Do people protesting about anti-Semitism tend to bomb cinemas?” Well, the JDL is... 7:55 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I realize this was a very different situation, but I know Anne Frank’s father after the war... 6:55 PM
  • Baltsamic Vinaigrette: aj, Gelb has just been interviewed on Newsnight [BBC2] and told Evan Davis all about... 6:28 PM
  • armerjacquino: This. The story has already been adapted into art. It’s dodgy at best to help some... 6:26 PM
  • armerjacquino: Sorry, but this is the first I’ve heard about ‘bomb threats in cinemas’... 6:24 PM
  • Rudolf: @ steveac10 He’s gotten older and wiser. Or has he? Just joking … :) 6:14 PM
  • kashania: Well said, Luvt. Some artists are able to develop as artists and change the audience expectations... 6:12 PM
  • La Cieca: JJ’s take in the New York Observer: http://observer.co m/2014/10/opera-re view-an-imperfe... 6:04 PM
  • luvtennis: Kashie: I have made a similar point in past posts about the stars from that era. They were always... 6:03 PM
  • kashania: Luvt: Yes, Joan had earned the right to do whatever she wanted. As a rule, I don’t object to... 5:56 PM

Money pit

munksignal_thumbThe good news is that the Met reduced its operating deficit for 2008-2009 to $1.3 million, down from $12.2 million a year earlier. The bad news is the company’s assets fell by $72.6 million (down to $422.7 million) primarily because of investment losses. In other news, the Met paid James Levine a bit more than Peter Gelb received for the fiscal year, slightly over $1.5 million. (La Cieca will now sit back and listen to the online explanations of how unfair this is, because Jimmy actually makes music whereas Gelb just sits in an office all day thinking about how much he hates opera.) [via Bloomberg]

• brooklynpunk says:

I really hope..for the safety of the staff at the MET…that Oceaneering International had no involvement in supplying equipment to oil-rigs in the Gulf of Mexico…….

• mrmyster says:

How about treating Levine just like any of his divas — no show
    no dough?! It turns out he’s a sort of piece worker anyway, as
    he certainly has not been doing much music/artistic direction
    at the Met -- and for a long time.

• DonCarloFanatic says:

After laughing hysterically at all the naughty puns, I have to be serious.

It appears that Levine has serious health problems and that his recovery will be more complex than he and others had hoped. It might not happen at all; hence Luisi’s appointment. This is something anyone could find difficult to accept. Levine probably does not want to retire anymore than Domingo does, but that may be right around the corner.

And now, please do continue with the awful puns.

• BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

Yeah, sure, uh huh.

Okay.

I hap-PUN to think that James Levine is one of the greatest artists ever to appear at The Metropolitan Opera and I thank him heartily for what he has done.

Rest and recover, Maestro.

• luvtennis says:

Agreed. Jimmy is awesome.

I feel so left out of this punning thing!!! You all are way too adult for me. And just not Christian enough!!!!!

But it’s okay I guess, since all you godless heathens are going to H-town while I, like all good little Catholic boys, will go to heaven from whence I can look down upon you and frown briefly.

There have some fun with that one.

• Alto says:

I recently heard from a member of the Met orchestra that he feels Levine doesn’t like him and he thus fears for his future there. This would imply to me that Levine’s role is somewhat more pervasive than showing up for a few performances. Am I wrong?

• La Cieca says:

Well, there is power and then there is responsibility. I have no doubt Levine can get people fired on not much more than a whim, but there’s a lot more to the position of musical director than just firing people and assigning yourself the cream of the assignments.

• Alto says:

But do we have actual evidence that that’s all he does at the Met? (My question is a sincere one, since I realize that you may in fact have such evidence.)

• DonCarloFanatic says:

I can only hope that some of Levine’s taste rubs off on Gelb.