• La Cieca: Check back tomorrow at noon for a link to the video and a discussion page for La Juive. 4:23 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Another senior moment. I read “porker̶ 1;. 1:25 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Anna Netrebko’s “Vier letzte Lieder” (“Four Last Songs”) of Richard Strauss are now on Mixcloud. Christian... 1:04 PM
  • laddie: Whoops, WRONG day, dearie. 11:52 AM
  • laddie: No thread for La Juive? 11:51 AM
  • Will: Just when I’m thinking this whole barihunk thing is getting a little tired, along comes a picture of Mr. Jarrett Ott and I... 10:17 AM
  • Donna Anna: David, Watch “Alive Inside” if you want to see just how powerful music can be for people with dementia. Amazing... 9:15 AM
  • arepo: Can’t wait to see a real actor-singer doing Minnie in Santa Fe. That Poker scene has just GOT to rock big time! 8:15 AM

Smiling through

And we have a Mot du Jour!

• 1
  • 2
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

• 3
    Porpora says:

It is true that NYCO’s sugar daddy, the one who bought all the tickets which were then offered for $25 last season, has now turned off the faucet? If so, the vultures are circling.

• 4
    Nero Wolfe says:

The Associated Press
    Koch Industries Inc. is buying electronic components and cables maker Molex for $7.2 billion.

Koch — run by the billionaire brothers Charles and David — said Monday that it will pay $38.50 per Molex Inc. share. That’s a 31 percent premium to the company’s common stock price of $29.34 on Friday.

The companies put the deal’s total value at $7.2 billion when stock options and restricted stock for Molex are added to the valuation of its outstanding shares. Molex Inc. has about 178.2 million outstanding shares, according to FactSet.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Since, I believe, Koch Industries is wholly owned by the Koch family, let them pony up some dough for the tenants in the theater that bears their name so it’s not so dark all the time. Maybe that will slow their donations to the right wing groups they fund so generously.

• 4.1
      dcrazmo says:

Nero, where have you been? NYCO hasn’t been a tenant of that theater for a couple of years now. Of their own choosing, I might add. If I were the Koch Brothers I’d consider that decision a slap in the face. Why should they care at this point? Why should anyone?

• 5
    oedipe says:

OT, but about upcoming future seasons: the management change at La Scala and the Paris Opera will be effective earlier than expected: Pereira and Lissner will start their jobs in 2014, rather than in 2015 as previously planned.

• 6
    jatm2063 says:

I laughed and spit up my morning coffee when I read this!

Speaking of coffee, maybe they mean that the Starbuck’s where they hang out all day and have their staff and board meetings would close if they went out of business.

• 6.1
      EdgardoNYC says:

I, for one, am not surprised that the NY City Opera is in such sad shape.
      As an opera company, they have been without any sort of artistic vision for years. The current season is a good example of it.
      It is a total mish-mash of operas and styles.
      Why are they doing Le Nozze di Figaro?
      Why are they doing Endimione? That is certainly not an opera that anyone is clammoring for.
      I think perhaps they should only do contemporary operas, such as Anna Nicole.
      Their web-site is a good example of their total lack of artistic integrity.
      In their listing for Bluebeard’s Castle, they mention the conductor and the director twice, yet they do not list the singers!
      Whoever this George Steele is, he has no clue about how to run an opera company, if they can still be called that.
      They need to have someone at the helm who can get audiences to attend.
      I have no desire to see Le Nozze di Figaro performed by third tier singers. Heck, the Met can’t even cast that opera well.
      Maybe if they got some interesting singers doing interesting operas, they might have a shot at staying around.
      Just my 2 cents…….