• Buster: Thanks Camille, to you too! The (renovated) opera house in Liege is beautiful. Lots of elderly... 12:33 AM
  • Buster: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=VJSp 9mYT9GM 12:11 AM
  • zinka: The old standing line was a “life unto itself.” I just cannot figure out why,wearing a... 11:59 PM
  • peter: Kennlyside’s understudy sang the dress rehearsal. They probably just plugged in footage from it. 10:38 PM
  • Camille: Many happy returns to Maestro Tilson Thomas, whom I remember from the late sixties(!) onward, and... 10:32 PM
  • aulus agerius: Correction: Keenlyside in the first act and someone else after that. 10:08 PM
  • aulus agerius: I don’t see any debacle. All I see is a different Rigoletto in the first two acts from... 10:06 PM
  • antikitschychick: “The more you talk the less I have to…” “vat is the genesis? I dont... 9:52 PM
  • antikitschychick: Monty: http://images.soda head.com/polls/004 367075/1350461932_ soap_funny_xlarge. jpeg ;-)... 9:34 PM
  • antikitschychick: haha muchas gracias Camille que disfrutes estos dias de festejo; te deseo mucha salud y... 9:31 PM

Smiling through

And we have a Mot du Jour!

• Porpora says:

It is true that NYCO’s sugar daddy, the one who bought all the tickets which were then offered for $25 last season, has now turned off the faucet? If so, the vultures are circling.

• Nero Wolfe says:

The Associated Press
    Koch Industries Inc. is buying electronic components and cables maker Molex for $7.2 billion.

Koch — run by the billionaire brothers Charles and David — said Monday that it will pay $38.50 per Molex Inc. share. That’s a 31 percent premium to the company’s common stock price of $29.34 on Friday.

The companies put the deal’s total value at $7.2 billion when stock options and restricted stock for Molex are added to the valuation of its outstanding shares. Molex Inc. has about 178.2 million outstanding shares, according to FactSet.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Since, I believe, Koch Industries is wholly owned by the Koch family, let them pony up some dough for the tenants in the theater that bears their name so it’s not so dark all the time. Maybe that will slow their donations to the right wing groups they fund so generously.

• dcrazmo says:

Nero, where have you been? NYCO hasn’t been a tenant of that theater for a couple of years now. Of their own choosing, I might add. If I were the Koch Brothers I’d consider that decision a slap in the face. Why should they care at this point? Why should anyone?

OT, but about upcoming future seasons: the management change at La Scala and the Paris Opera will be effective earlier than expected: Pereira and Lissner will start their jobs in 2014, rather than in 2015 as previously planned.

• jatm2063 says:

I laughed and spit up my morning coffee when I read this!

Speaking of coffee, maybe they mean that the Starbuck’s where they hang out all day and have their staff and board meetings would close if they went out of business.

• EdgardoNYC says:

I, for one, am not surprised that the NY City Opera is in such sad shape.
      As an opera company, they have been without any sort of artistic vision for years. The current season is a good example of it.
      It is a total mish-mash of operas and styles.
      Why are they doing Le Nozze di Figaro?
      Why are they doing Endimione? That is certainly not an opera that anyone is clammoring for.
      I think perhaps they should only do contemporary operas, such as Anna Nicole.
      Their web-site is a good example of their total lack of artistic integrity.
      In their listing for Bluebeard’s Castle, they mention the conductor and the director twice, yet they do not list the singers!
      Whoever this George Steele is, he has no clue about how to run an opera company, if they can still be called that.
      They need to have someone at the helm who can get audiences to attend.
      I have no desire to see Le Nozze di Figaro performed by third tier singers. Heck, the Met can’t even cast that opera well.
      Maybe if they got some interesting singers doing interesting operas, they might have a shot at staying around.
      Just my 2 cents…….