• m. croche: Another part of the Al Jolson legacy: He was such a popular entertainer worldwide, that he... 2:05 AM
  • fletcher: HH, are you planning to go to Salonen’s Pelléas next spring at LA Phil? The semi-staged... 1:58 AM
  • Krunoslav: True enough httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=tWCe 6bW0-Fs 1:46 AM
  • Batty Masetto: My late ex, a theater designer, used to tell about attending a Met performance (maybe... 1:17 AM
  • Fritz: You could still see blackface on British television until the late 70s. httpv://www.you... 1:03 AM
  • PCally: The best example currently would be the Schenk Rusalka, which is in serious need of a paint job,... 12:35 AM
  • Krunoslav: ‘Jolson’s style has dated terribly, but I don’t know how many performers of his generation... 12:19 AM
  • parpignol: I heard Rysanek sing in this production in 1977; I have no memory of the production at all. . . 12:06 AM
  • Sempre liberal: An advantage of cheap, distant seats: I have never seen a production looking faded or... 11:50 PM
  • Henry Holland: Pelleas et Melisande is a good example for me of the “traditional ” v.... 11:28 PM

Love is only love

“Of the two love stories that unfolded at David et Jonathas Wednesday night, it’s hard to say which was more moving: biblical hero David’s affection for his childhood friend—or the passion Les Arts Florissants lavished on this obscure but delectable work.” [New York Post]

• bergbag says:

It was simple and beautiful. I enjoyed Mr. Christie’s elegant fingers and red socks as well.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

Very enlightening review. Talking about reviews, has anybody read today’s NY Times critique of Vienna State’s opera production of Eugene O? Apparently, singing in the missionary position has become one of Netrebko’s trademarks!

• Often admonished says:

from New York: “New York Post Editor Apologizes, Unwittingly, for Terrible Coverage”

anything to do with you, JJ?

Has anyone heard from Poison Ivy? I do hope she is well.

I am sorry this is in the wrong thread but I did not want it buried in the overloaded Intermission thread.

This is a thread entitled “Love is only love” so it would appear correct to me as it is loving concern which prompted your concern. Her blog is back up--I came upon it par hasard a day or so ago. Let’s hope her job stays and it is admittedly a very difficult situation, but in the end, Ivy is too smart and, well, she will figure it out. We can all only hope so and wish her the health and happiness her young life is warranted.

Thank you Camille -- I shall try to reach her through the blog. I am glad it is back online -- good news anyway.

I was also pleased to see Ivy back on Twitter.