• manou: kash – not to mention any other kind of wind. (Yes, we are staying with the bad taste.... 7:37 PM
  • zzzznombula: MERCI, operacat, for this link!!! Can someone suggest a way to download and save this video? We... 7:24 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Here’s an example of a prompter in the pit without a proper box httpv://www.you... 7:12 PM
  • kashania: Manou: I bet that the messed up the woodwind balance big time! 7:10 PM
  • manou: Rumour had it that Luciano had Hervé Villechaize concealed upon his person (usually in his waistcoat... 7:07 PM
  • La Cieca: In the old days, when the MET toured to theaters that did not have prompters boxes as part of the... 7:05 PM
  • DellaCasaFan: Interesting story about the original score for glass harmonica in Lucia. I wasn’t aware... 7:03 PM
  • Henry Holland: Opera Holland Park announced their 2015 season (no casting or conductors listed yet): Puccini:... 7:00 PM
  • Henry Holland: I don’t live in Berlin but the last time I was there, I stayed in a nice hotel less than... 6:55 PM
  • Krunoslav: I heard Sellars’ Purchase GIOVANNI in 1987, not 1989 following when this– which I have... 6:45 PM

The voice of the pundit

Our Own Dawn Fatale (artist’s conception, above) will take to the airwaves of Bloomberg Radio this evening at 9:00 pm to discuss the Met’s current woes. You can listen on Sirius XM Channel 119. online, or on your iPhone or Android phone.

UPDATE: this interview is now available as a podcast (after the jump.)

(The segment on the Met starts at about the 31:00 point.)

• Hippolyte says:

Bravo/a, RL aka Dawn!

• phoenix says:

Is this on archive somewhere? Sounds like the greatest thing since ‘Garbo talks’.
    - Congrats to RL!

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

You mean even greater than “Give me a whiskey, ginger ale on the side… and don’t be stingy, baby?”

Yes, a second request—is it archived? I would assume so but one never knows.

I love that Cernei picture. Opera as high camp.

• La Cieca says:

With all due respect to Dawn, the money quote in this piece comes from AGMA’s Alan Gordon, who says, “When the Met produces a standard opera… I don’t really like opera, so I can’t give you the names… but…”

• m. croche says:

The thing is, Alan Gordon appears to have the full support of the people he’s representing. Whether he prefers hip-hop, old-time polka, or musicals is kind of beside the point. When you find a good number of union members questioning Gordon’s leadership or tactics, then you’ll have a money quote.

• m. croche says:

I mean, if you want an example where there really is daylight between union leadership and the members they claim to represent, look at the video game music industry and in particular at the case of Austin Wintory.

• No Expert says:

Ah, so he and Gelb have something in common :)

• steveac10 says:

And this is why Alan Gordon is bad for this scenario and opera in general. How a man who couldn’t tell Verdi from Sting became the public face of the union representing classical singers and dancers is beyond me. He’s already assisted (whether by accident or design) the board of one major NYC opera company to cease operations. He couldn’t give two shits if the art form survives in this city. He’s an old school union operative who thinks it’s still 1938. He’s a blowhard and a bully. He’d rather put a couple of thousand people out of work permanently than publicly compromise with Gelb in any way (at least until the federal mediator steps in). For better or for worse (and I think for worse), public and political support for unions is at low tide right now. Even people normally inclined to support the unions at the Met are not very likely to stand in solidarity with them. Ultimately they run the risk of turning the Met into a non-union house.

• Dabrowski says:

You are trying really hard, but you are never going to match this performance.

• norma54 says:

Mr. Gordon DOES have the full support of his negotiating committee AND the membership at large…both AT the MET and across the country. The orchestra and stage-hand unions are also standing strong ,…. why does everyone on this site like to vilify Mr. Gordon so much? Negotiating ability is defined far more by knowledge of the working conditions of the people you represent……. than the actual works they perform.

• m. croche says:

Not everyone, Norma, just the usual suspects.

Just relax and enjoy their helpless and misdirected pique. I think it most fun to read their posts in a Marvin the Martian voice.

• SilvestriWoman says:

Too true… Alan Gordon may go over the top, but union choristers (especially opera) see him as their top advocate. Whatever happens at the Met may very well follow at Chicago/San Francisco/you name it.