• kashania: I was thinking the 60s in general, around the time of that Carmen and those farewell Toscas. 11:40 AM
  • kashania: Luvt: It’s true that she sang certain roles only a handful of times. But, as we all know,... 11:38 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: What that means is that it would be incorrect to say Dame Joan Sutherland never sang a... 11:37 AM
  • ML: Ah! Clita is back. Servus! Still waiting on Oedipe and Camille … . I suppose the “why???&#... 11:31 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: Depends what you mean by ‘later years’ here, Kashania. Perhaps in the second... 11:29 AM
  • Milady DeWinter: Tubsinger, the stereo remake is definitely worth getting, not only for Callas, but as you... 11:29 AM
  • ML: I think I have said why. I would just be repeating myself. Warner doing this and not making new opera... 11:26 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: Luvt, I’m not making any great claims for Maria’s versatility – just being... 11:25 AM
  • kashania: It’s a shame she didn’t concentrate on the song repertoire in later years. Even after... 11:25 AM
  • DeepSouthSenior: I thought that Morris was wobbly and unstable as Sachs at the Met (seen on video) in 2001.... 11:24 AM

Boy wonder

Which clean-shaven young tenor must be feeling full of beans to hear he is the winner of this year’s Richard Tucker award?

• quibbleglib says:

Congratulations to Mr. Fabiano! (Fabiano = bean farmer http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/fabiano)

• Milady DeWinter says:

Very quick quibb! Yes, congrats to Mr. Fabiano (who I was wishing was singing Pinkerton last night instead of Mr. Valente!)

• pavel says:

I was thinking “clean-shaven” = got rid of his beard ;)

• alejandro says:

*ooh snap*

What is the dealio there? I heard he was once out and then ran back in.

I saw The Audition and felt he was the best thing in that group (well, next to Jamie Barton, but they never really showed her doing much), but damn did I want to pour him a drink and give him a Valium and tell him to chiiiiiiillllllll.

• kennedet says:

Agreed, Alejandro. I also saw The Audition and did not appreciate his condescending comments regarding the tenor who sang, Ah mes Ami. It showed his nervous jealousy and inability to deal with intense competition. Didn’t Cieca have a heading on one of the blogs that said: “Shut-up and sing”? I hoped he would learn his lessons but he is still causing havoc with his outspokeness.

Interesting. I thought “clean-shaven” was a reference to Barbieri but I’m hopelessly square when it comes to deciphering La Cieca’s blind item clues.

• SilvestriWoman says:

Not only his beard but his entire head is now shaved… Looks fantastic!

• alejandro says:

Congrats!

Now let’s book this guy at the Met!

• Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

Certainly deserving, but I would have liked for someone else to get some money. He already won the Sills prize.

• operacat says:

Another winner is Ryan Speedo Green who won the Annenburg award which provides $50,000 a year for two years — http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/style/wp/2014/04/08/from-trailer-park-to-staatsoper-bass-green-wins-annenberg-grant/. He will be doing Milhaud’s PAUVRE MATELOT at Wolf Trap this summer.

• Bill says:

Opera Cat -- the ensemble members of the Vienna Opera often get a good start at a major career if they are talented. The cover certain roles, sing some minor parts, and get assigned some major parts -- Among other things Ryan Speedo Green will
        sing Basilio in Barbiere next season in Vienna
        and if he is good, he will be noticed. I know nothing about him -- has someone at partierre heard him and like to comment? Is he a likely candidate to be a future star ? The money he has just won will certainly aid his training and his name will stick in the minds of anyone who swims in the USA or Europe.

Anita Hartig is one of the singers who has been an Ensemble Mitglieder at the Wiener Staatsoper and has been
        been granted more and more important roles. Next year she is a guest performaer in Vienna and seems to be contract everywhere in the future.

• operacat says:

Ryan has been in the Met Young Artist program for two years and can be seen on last years AIDA and a few others I cant remember just now. I saw him last year at Wolf Trap in VIAGGIO A REIMS. He has a big lovely bass voice and lots of stage personality. He will be noticed!

• Sempre liberal says:

I love the name Speedo.

• Regina delle fate says:

Ryan Speedo Green is obviously the US’s answer to David Butt Philip -- but maybe he’s a better singer. :)

• A. Poggia Turra says:

I’d like to see a duo concert with Ryan Speedo Green and Frank Dolphin Wong (maybe at marine World) :)

• Krunoslav says:

Milhaud’s PAUVRE MATELOT

…..

Why would anyone bother? I love all kinds of French opera,but that is a ghastly score.

• operacat says:

It is paired with MAMELLES DES TIRESIAS and, as I become more acquainted with PAUVRE MATELOT, I am finding a much musically to enjoy. Theatrically, it reminds me of a half hour episode of Alfred Hitchcock show. The cast will also include the spectacular Tracy Cox.

• A. Poggia Turra says:

Yves Abel’s Opera Francais de New York performed Pauvre (late 90s I think) -- it was paired with La Voix Humaine (with Mrs. James Conlon as Elle, if memory serves)