• Fidelia: For info for those who left the chat before the production team came out for bows. There was the usual battle between boos and... 3:51 PM
  • JohninSeattle: It’s nice to know that outside of graduate schools for english literature and gender studies Foucault is still a... 12:17 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: In three hours we’ll be watching the final live telecast of the season on Digital Concert Hall. Berlin Phil. with... 11:29 AM
  • rapt: Ouch! 11:05 AM
  • PCally: She’s quite open about it as well. I believe she’s married with a child. 9:08 AM
  • Walther von Holzhaufen: A very perceptive observation, m. croche. 4:10 AM
  • gerbear: Thank you PCally: Ms. Pieczonka was the first person I thought of as well. 10:38 PM
  • Krunoslav: “what to make of Christopher Marlowe’s Edward II? ” That’s a Poker Scene to rival the one in FANCIULLA. 9:10 PM

The pain in Spain

Just a reminder, cher public, that the live webcast of La forza del destino from the Bayerische Staatsoper is at noon today, with concurrent chat at La Casa della Cieca.

• 21
    Satisfied says:

On vacay so could only enjoy part of this performance. I was planning on attending the first half of the Opernfestspiele, but now trying to arrange my schedule to see Anja (Tosca, Destino…who cares!!)

What a performance.

• 22
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

Best moment was when Kaufmann hurled himself at Carlo after jumping up on the table and sliding like a hockey player. That sleale duet an the final act were the best parts of the otherwise boring staging.

• 22.1
      grimoaldo says:

Yes, that was great. The staging was rather boring and so was the conducting, very very meh, but the singing was glor-i-ous, oh how I loved it, I am still under its spell. It struck me that no one in the chat, though, made any comments along the lines of “what a silly story” which one usually hears in relation to Forza, so maybe that is a tribute to the staging.

• 22.1.1
        Batty Masetto says:

To tell the truth, this staging was the first ever to get me beyond the “well, it’s beautiful music, too bad about the story” stage.

• 22.1.1.1
          Noel Dahling says:

Really? I always thought it had a strong story, and I love that “Huh?” ending.

• 22.1.1.2
          Noel Dahling says:

Never mind, Batty dear; I thought we were discussing Don Carlo, not crazy (but wonderful) Forza.

• 22.2
      antikitschychick says:

Agreed Quanto. Very nice choreography there :-D.

Gotta say, I was pretty floored by the singing by all the leads and enjoyed the performance very much. I won’t comment on the production much since I was kind of multi-tasking while watching the perf and was not familiar with this Opera so I shall try and re-watch it to get a better grasp of all the details. I will say though that I like the concept of having the production set in a sort of dystopia but I don’t think it was as effective as it could have been although the giant, layered holes in Acts 2 and 3 were striking.

Hope everyone had a pleasant weekend :-). OMG the year is almost over…crazy how time flies :!:

• 22.2.1
        antikitschychick says:

Forgot to mention that I did think that Jonas was pushing (and it made me worry slightly about the prospect of Otello), but it was still very exciting singing. Anja was fabulous in every way and deserved to be the last one to take her solo bow :-D. Neither of them have dramatic voices so this is def a stretch for both of them but but its good that they are willing to take risks and give us such thrilling performances.

• 23
    Camille says:

When does anyone who jnows about these things conjecture the Forsa will hit the YouTubes? A day, a week?

• 24
    pobrediablo says:

• 25
    Camille says:

At least the mystery of the missing crucifex in re causus celeberrimus Tosca, Act II, Bondy production, has finally been solved. Leonora da Vargas found it!

Now I am retiring to Leonora’s Grotto for the night and hoping the Vergine degl’Angeli will cover every suffering soul with her glorious mantle.

Marshie, don’t worry. A pure heart is that which matters.

• 25.1
      marshiemarkII says:

CammiB, you are so right, but just in case to protect myself from evil vampires (you where they come from :D) I have an identical crucifix on my night table, right next to the silks. It comes from my grandma, who inherited it from Colonial times from the late 17th C, it will always protect Marie Madeleine-Claudine!
      It looks almost exactly like the one in the picture.

• 25.1.1
        Camille says:

Entonces,
        La abuelita tuya era Leonora da Vargas, MarshieMadeleine???
        Are you then the product of her union with Don Alvaro and that then therefore you are truly “gl’ultimi degl’Inca”????

I always figured Leonora was ‘penitente’ and couldn’t go to “un chiostro”, like any other nice girl on the lam would have done, because she and the Don and “done it” somehow or another before they were separated in that deep, dark limitless night.

You got a lot o’ ‘splainin’ to do, Marshie-Madeleine degl’Inca!

• 25.1.2
        marshiemarkII says:

Die allwissende Muschel strikes twice in two days :lol:
        And you know the crucifix is twice Heilige because it was brought to Sucksee by none other than the holy hands of Leonore Florestan herself!
        And then just last year MMIIM ™ (that is MMII-Madeleine(tm)) acquired a 17th C Tapestry of “The Walk up Mount Olive” in an Eglomise frame that guards her bedroom entrance.
        So Marshie-Madeleine’s bedroom far from looking like Marie-Theres’ boudoir (or Joan Rivers’ :lol:)is looking more like un chiostro :lol:

• 26
    Feldmarschallin says:

Does anyone have the EXACT timings of the Forza? I am interested in the music only since there are several times during scene changes when there is no music. I believe the first half is less than 80 minutes of music but the second?

• 26.1
      nibelungen says:

Dear Feldmarschallin! We are coming to Munich to celebrate My husbands 70th birthday and have tickets for Brokeback Onegin the 7 th of Jan. Of course it would have been a hit to combine it with a Forza, either the 5 ot the 8th. The next time you get an offer as the one above, would it be possiblr for you to contact me? Yours, nibelungen. (Ill. post my email adress here if you agree)

• 26.1.1
        Feldmarschallin says:

I will be at that Onegin on the 7th. We can meet if you like. For the 8th I have no ticket myself. I will be there again on the 2nd and 5th. Yes I can email you if I hear of something. I know of many people who have tickets and kurzfristig someone can always get sick as has happened for the last two.

• 26.1.1.1
          nibelungen says:

We would love to meet up with af fellow Parterrian. My email adress: Johan.arvidson@kbh.uu.se I hope you write to me, and We can arrange to meet the 7 th!

nib -- my experience with sold out shows is that you always manage to snag a last minute ticket (cancellation, some tickets held back at the box office that are released, etc.). In the last two weeks I have attended four shows (ballet, opera and theatre) that had been completely sold out for months and we still managed to obtain extra tickets for my sister who was visiting.

Good luck!

• Bill says:

Manou -- this does not always work. There are exceptions -- at the opening of the
              Bayerische Staatsoper Summer Festival years ago in Munich we tried everything to see the Arabella with della Casa, Rothenberger and Fischer-Dieskau and there was no hope. At the last minute Ludwig Erhardt. the Chancellor, came up in a chauffered standard Mercedes and stepped out alone ascending the stairs with no body guards -- Arriving fresh out of the Peace Corps in Africa and not having seen an opera in over two years, I did not muster up the guts to go up to him and ask if he had an extra ticket to sell. So no Arabella -- but did get tickets for a superb Meistersinger the next night. Once I could not get into a Manhattan School of Music production of Kalman’s “Csardasfuerstin” and most recently a production of Hary Janos in Budapest this autumn was (twice) impossible for tickets to be obtained.

That said, once in Vienna with Varady singing Desdemona and with all seats and
              standing room tickets sold, I managed to
              rather nervously sneak in. An old friend in Vienna who ALWAYS managed to get in to a performance there was totally shut out of a Freischuetz with Boehm conducting and Janowitz singing Agathe -- the only time in his life he could not get into an opera house for a performance he wished to attend. Even once in Munich when he and his wife and I were trying to get tickets for a Traviata with Kleiber, Cotrubas and Aragall where crowds were clamoring for a ticket we managed to get only two -- he chose not to go but as the curtain came up on the first act he popped into our loge (though there were no available seats) and stood behind. He never “confessed” how he managed to get in to me or his wife -- but we suspected
              a bribe was in order.

Each opera house is different. Most of the Met performances these days are
              not at all full and one can either obtain last minute tickets at the Box Office or from patrons selling extra tickets outside --
              but some European Houses are frequently sold out and if they do not have standing room sold the day of the performance it
              can be tough to obtain a ticket. Even in Vienna with a generous number of standing tickets sold day of performance (some 550) for popular performances they can be entirely snapped up by those who waited in line all afternoon. The question is always how to gauge the popularity of any given performance so one does not lose time waiting for hours but does not risk getting there too late for available standing tickets.

You are right that it does not always work, but it very often does. There is of course as you mention the bribe route -- we once got the concierge of a grand Vienna hotel to book us tickets for Netrebko in Manon and a few zillion €€€€€ later were ensconced in the best seats of the house. I do no recommend this of course, but persistence, grit and stamina generally pay.

Geliebter Bill—

What did you do in the Peace Corps? Or do you not like to say?

That is very funny, your story of watching the Chancellor ascend the staircase. Had you accosted him you may have experienced a “Night at the Opera” moment.

It is true what you say about obtaining tickets. Even the greatest ticket grabbers have their off nights. My husband has that magical talent and almost always finds a way in but has been foiled on about half a dozen times in the last twenty years. He managed to get me a ticket for the Muti Otello a couple years back for which I am eternally grateful. And with no hope—later he showed up in the box.

It’s best if one is fearless and intrepid.

• peter says:

The hardest time I ever had scoring a single ticket to an opera was in 1980 with the return of Nilsson and Rysanek in Elektra. Nilsson hadn’t sung in the States in several years (tax problems) so it was particularly tough. I knew I wouldn’t have a chance in front of the Met so I ventured downstairs as people were coming out of the subway turnstiles. Of course, I wasn’t the only one with that idea and I practically had to knock a few competitors down to land a ticket. I found a little old lady who sold me her extra ticket but I was so aggressive I think she assumed I was there to mug her.

• marshiemarkII says:

Peter, how we shared the same experiences!, I had tickets for three performances, but for the one I didn’t have one, I decided to do the same as you did. I was standing in front of Avery Fisher Hall looking dazed and desperate, and suddenly this lady walks up to me and says, do you need a ticket? whereupon my eyes must have popped out of the sockets, she opens her purse and hands me a ticket to second row of Grand Tier. Then she just says enjoy! I’ll see you inside…. puzzled I asked…. and how much do you want for the ticket?, answer, oh it’s my pleasure, my husband is sick and I wanted someone to enjoy the ticket……. it was FREE!!!!! unbelievable story but true :lol:
              That’s how I was able to see all four performances!

• 27
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

I missed this cute part from Act I

You can buy those nets at Bed Bath and Beyond

• 27.1
      Feldmarschallin says:

Well what I want to know if I buy one does it come with Jonas? Will he play hide and seek with me like with her?

• 27.2
      DonCarloFanatic says:

Inept camera work. I do not ever need to see a full figure shot of the maid.

Why can’t these guys figure out the basics?

• 27.2.1
        -Ed. says:

I’ve been riding that hobby horse for years, I get so pissed at the shoddy and manic and yes inept camera work these days. Is there a union requirement that all camera operators must be jacked up on blow, or what? They need to calm it down and stop twiddling all their freaking camera knobs and buttons and shit.

• 27.3
      Camille says:

This looks more like IKEA.

Don’t neglect to take along those 20% discount coupons Bed, Bath & Beyond is so generous with. It makes a difference at the cashier stand when used on a big item!

• 28
    Feldmarschallin says:

Did anyone here see the Livestream yesterday until the end? Do they show the curtain calls as well or was it over when the opera ended?

• 28.1
      grimoaldo says:

Yes I watched to the end, yes they showed the curtain calls.
      Btw some had trouble with the livestream, it was perfect for me, I think that may be because I did not have the subtitles switched on, so for future streams from Munich, if you have trouble with the transmission, switch off the titles and see if that helps.

• 28.2
      FragendeFrau82 says:

FM, Anja received a GORGEOUS bouquet flung to her from a loge and presented by H. Kaufmann. She was beaming. I can’t look now but will check later to see if this appears in the stream. :-)

• 29
    armerjacquino says:

Bianca, that FORZA you posted with Stefka Evastatieva is from the Canadian Opera Company. Says so in the titles about twenty seconds into the overture.

• 29.1
      Bianca Castafiore says:

Oh duh… I tend to listen but not watch the Youtubies. Grazie. I did have a suspicion it was in Canada due to the Canadian Preziosilla and Carlo. Grazie.

• 30
    bluecabochon says:

What has the world come to? Here’s a “Handsome Priest” calendar for 2014!

• 30.1
      armerjacquino says:

It’s been going since 2004, blue. Although there’s been controversy over the years as to whether all the men pictured really are priests…

• 30.2
      Camille says:

Blue—
      These were all over the kiosks near the Vatican, and proudly displayed I might add!—when last I was in Rome, five years ago.

Sex sells.

Funny I have never noticed any priest nearly so ‘bbono at ANY church I’ve ever visited, either in Rome or here. Maybe they only come out for photo-ops!

• 30.3
      Bianca Castafiore says:

What? No Thomas Williams? No Gänswein?

• 31
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

• 31.1
      Quanto Painy Fakor says:

• 31.1.1
        Rowna says:

In case any parterrians are interested, here is my opinion: httpv
        ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzi22FIDEI

• 31.1.1.1
          Rowna says:

Arghh -- try again

• Spen says:

Nice review Rowna.

• pobrediablo says:

I liked you review, Rowna. By the way, Kusej is pronounced KOO-shay.

• grimoaldo says:

“I loved every second of the music” -- so did I, Rowna.
            “Thank you Munich opera house” -- I agree, very grateful.
            Couple of little things -- that was not Harteros being dipped into the “baptismal water”, it was a double, and Leonora is not going to become a nun, she is going to be allowed to live in a hermit’s cell near the monastery, with a stream nearby and a little bread brought to her once a week, and a bell to ring when she is about to die so a priest can come and give her the final rites.
            Enjoyed your yt review Rowna!

Well, if everyone’s doing corrections, it’s probably also worth mentioning that it’s ‘re-gh-EE-ye’ (approx) not ‘reggie’.

• Rowna says:

Thank you to all who watched my video and commented. I will try to say “Anya” in the future as I would imagine she will sing again. I am totally name pronunciation impaired. Help was appreciated re Kusej and the baritone’s name, too. Thank you, Grimo for the clarification re the water dunking. After I spoke on my video, I thought about it an realized that it HAD to be a double, but was too late and I thought . . .maybe no one else will notice. Yes, also re the correction about Leonora becoming a nun . . sometimes I get confused in my own mind. I will put some new notes on the upload to make some corrections. Hugs to you all :)

Correction to your correction “regie” is pronounced rejIe (accent on the last syllable). Yes, even in German.

• Rowna says:

In the “about” section I tried to fix the mistakes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzi22FIDEI

manou, that was what I was attempting to impart, although I now see that the h was probably a bad choice. I was trying to express that ‘halfway between a hard and soft g’ thing that you managed so much more simply with a j.

Rowna, the baritone’s name is Tezier!

As mentioned above, Kowaljow is the bass.

• Batty Masetto says:

Another option (since the International Phonetic Alphabet is unavailable as a character set and most people wouldn’t be able to decipher it anyhow): “reh-ZHEE”

• pobrediablo says:

Rowna, some names are impossible to guess. For example, I would have not in a million years imagined that Karine Deshayes name is pronounced deh-EH.

OK, some names are impossible to guess. But just because they sound foreign, does that make them impossible to, like, learn?

• pobrediablo says:

Well, I learned her name. What else do you want from me?!?!? LOL

• Batty Masetto says:

“Si l’écriture des noms communs en français relève d’un certain nombre de règles orthographiques (et d’un nombre important d’exceptions), celle des noms propres est par contre plutôt aléatoire.” (fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Annexe:Prononciation/français)

• Bianca Castafiore says:

I thought it was deh-ZAY??

• Batty Masetto says:

I’m also sure Oedipe pronounces MacMahon in the correct, original way rather than in that barbaric 18th-century French distortion.

• pobrediablo says:

Bianchissima, me too, but we’ve been wrong.

That’s nothing -- what about the pronunciation of the Princess de Broglie someone mentioned here a few days ago?

Well, I learned her name.

OK, OK. But…on second thought, if you’ve learned how to spell and pronounce all these foreign singers’ names, doesn’t this now disqualify you from being an opera reviewer?

• antikitschychick says:

lovely review Rowna. Happy new year’s eve to you! :-D

• 31.1.2
        Rowna says:

catch it while you can httpv
        ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3zKHlcsoU&feature=share

• 32
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

The IKEA curtains and Leonora’s hat were used in 2008 here

• 33
    Clita del Toro says:

Last post for the year, for which may get the Misogynist/Tacky/Nasty/ Anti-Feminist Queen of the Year Award, but I think La Harteros needs some electrolysis to raise her hairline a là Margarita Cansino! ;)

Tutti: Have a great New Year.