• La Cieca: People here might think “the economy is bad and people don’t like opera anymore” are very... 2:36 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: I’ve just finished watching it. The parallel story with Els was poignant and brilliantly... 1:16 AM
  • Jack Jikes: Ivy – I’m a fan of your critiques – but – your enthusiasm for Soviet... 12:20 AM
  • Pia Ngere-Liu: And after all – is there a more diva like name than hers? Take a look at... 11:54 PM
  • Rackon: Wrong time for those of us on this side of pond with day jobs. Also not available in US without work... 11:28 PM
  • johns33: As a subscriber I’d love to bring first timers to the opera..nieces nephews out of... 11:16 PM
  • laddie: I watched it! Wonderfully moving- D’Oustrac continues to be stunning! 11:09 PM
  • Leontynes Weave: What’s been presented is the fact that Gelb’s production/directo r focus is not... 11:06 PM
  • Lady Abbado: New Kaufmann interview: http://www.theoper ablog.com/jonas-ka ufmann-an-intervie w/ 11:02 PM
  • phoenix: It was scheduled for broadcast on a German station, but that broadcast was cancelled a few days... 10:43 PM

The pain in Spain

Just a reminder, cher public, that the live webcast of La forza del destino from the Bayerische Staatsoper is at noon today, with concurrent chat at La Casa della Cieca.

• Rowna says:

In case any parterrians are interested, here is my opinion: httpv
        ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzi22FIDEI

• Rowna says:

Arghh -- try again

• Spen says:

Nice review Rowna.

• pobrediablo says:

I liked you review, Rowna. By the way, Kusej is pronounced KOO-shay.

• grimoaldo says:

“I loved every second of the music” -- so did I, Rowna.
            “Thank you Munich opera house” -- I agree, very grateful.
            Couple of little things -- that was not Harteros being dipped into the “baptismal water”, it was a double, and Leonora is not going to become a nun, she is going to be allowed to live in a hermit’s cell near the monastery, with a stream nearby and a little bread brought to her once a week, and a bell to ring when she is about to die so a priest can come and give her the final rites.
            Enjoyed your yt review Rowna!

Well, if everyone’s doing corrections, it’s probably also worth mentioning that it’s ‘re-gh-EE-ye’ (approx) not ‘reggie’.

• Rowna says:

Thank you to all who watched my video and commented. I will try to say “Anya” in the future as I would imagine she will sing again. I am totally name pronunciation impaired. Help was appreciated re Kusej and the baritone’s name, too. Thank you, Grimo for the clarification re the water dunking. After I spoke on my video, I thought about it an realized that it HAD to be a double, but was too late and I thought . . .maybe no one else will notice. Yes, also re the correction about Leonora becoming a nun . . sometimes I get confused in my own mind. I will put some new notes on the upload to make some corrections. Hugs to you all :)

Correction to your correction “regie” is pronounced rejIe (accent on the last syllable). Yes, even in German.

• Rowna says:

In the “about” section I tried to fix the mistakes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzi22FIDEI

manou, that was what I was attempting to impart, although I now see that the h was probably a bad choice. I was trying to express that ‘halfway between a hard and soft g’ thing that you managed so much more simply with a j.

Rowna, the baritone’s name is Tezier!

As mentioned above, Kowaljow is the bass.

• Batty Masetto says:

Another option (since the International Phonetic Alphabet is unavailable as a character set and most people wouldn’t be able to decipher it anyhow): “reh-ZHEE”

• pobrediablo says:

Rowna, some names are impossible to guess. For example, I would have not in a million years imagined that Karine Deshayes name is pronounced deh-EH.

OK, some names are impossible to guess. But just because they sound foreign, does that make them impossible to, like, learn?

• pobrediablo says:

Well, I learned her name. What else do you want from me?!?!? LOL

• Batty Masetto says:

“Si l’écriture des noms communs en français relève d’un certain nombre de règles orthographiques (et d’un nombre important d’exceptions), celle des noms propres est par contre plutôt aléatoire.” (fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Annexe:Prononciation/français)

• Bianca Castafiore says:

I thought it was deh-ZAY??

• Batty Masetto says:

I’m also sure Oedipe pronounces MacMahon in the correct, original way rather than in that barbaric 18th-century French distortion.

• pobrediablo says:

Bianchissima, me too, but we’ve been wrong.

That’s nothing -- what about the pronunciation of the Princess de Broglie someone mentioned here a few days ago?

Well, I learned her name.

OK, OK. But…on second thought, if you’ve learned how to spell and pronounce all these foreign singers’ names, doesn’t this now disqualify you from being an opera reviewer?

• antikitschychick says:

lovely review Rowna. Happy new year’s eve to you! :-D

• Rowna says:

catch it while you can httpv
        ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3zKHlcsoU&feature=share

The IKEA curtains and Leonora’s hat were used in 2008 here

• Clita del Toro says:

Last post for the year, for which may get the Misogynist/Tacky/Nasty/ Anti-Feminist Queen of the Year Award, but I think La Harteros needs some electrolysis to raise her hairline a là Margarita Cansino! ;)

Tutti: Have a great New Year.