• La Cieca: The 1954 Doris Day musical Love Me or Leave Me, which is based on the life and career of 190s... 5:30 AM
  • tiger1: Thanks for sharing, Zinka, really great singing – and the first time I have heard this cut... 4:30 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well sometimes those foreigners don’t want to be integrated. If you come to a... 4:28 AM
  • tiger1: There are LOADS of films about real crime stories, LMM. What about the family whose kid was taken by... 4:27 AM
  • tiger1: Well, not all of the column is dumb. I agree, for instance, that “The point is not that “The... 4:23 AM
  • La Cieca: So you’re advocating that Western countries should emulate Muslim theocracies? 4:20 AM
  • tiger1: Kashania, how did Sutherland and Bonynge know that the audience would prefer a too low lying... 4:15 AM
  • CwbyLA: Is this the best defense you can come up with Guestoria Unpopularenka? 3:40 AM
  • tancredipasero: Not quite the dumbest – google Mark Langfan – but it is really dumb. Choice,... 1:15 AM
  • tancredipasero: great typo, thanks!! I am pretty sure you meant “non-photoge nic” – the... 12:46 AM

Spin cycle

Your Wagnerian alternatives for today’s chat in La Casa della Cieca: Siegfried from the Met beginning at 11:00 am or a webcast of Der fliegende Holländer from the Bayerische Staatsoper starting at 2:00 pm.

A four-hour, concert version of the Ring starring Jay Hunter Morris and Jane Eaglen!!

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Did this actually say *all-star*???????

They do have Richard Paul Fink!!

I’ve never heard of the Wotan/Fasolt, Philip Skinner, eventhough the mini-bio says that he’s sung with the Canadian Opera Company.

And I love how Eaglen’s bio makes it seem like her career is still going on.

• Batty Masetto says:

Kashie, Skinner has been singing in San Francisco for years. I haven’t heard him recently, but last I heard him he was very good.

Glad to hear it. I’m just surprised I can’t recall having heard him…

• reedroom says:

Skinner has also sung in Seattle, though not for several seasons. “Wotan/Fasolt” seems an odd pairing since the two appear onstage together in Rheingold…

Reedrom: It’s a four-hour version of the whole thing so the majority of the work is cut.

• LittleMasterMiles says:

It isn’t Wotan/Fasolt. Fink is Wotan/Gunther and Skinner is Alberich/Fasolt.

• LittleMasterMiles says:

Sorry, I mixed up Fink and Skinner, but the roles are combined as I said.

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Better again, I see that Luretta Bybee -- l’Italiana in a Dublin production 20 years ago -- will take on the roles of Fricka and Floasshilde. Now there’s a career that I thought had long ago evolved into full-time teaching; my mistake, by the looks of the bio.

BTW the web-site describes the show as “one of the most unique offerings” of this anniversary year. God, I got a roasting from my English teacher way back when for saying this. “Uniqueness is an absolute!” But my Chambers Dictionary notes that the term is often used loosely for ‘unusual’, which is how I was using it at the time. Think I’ll send Mr. Lynch a Chambers for his 80th birthday. It may be one of the most unique offerings he gets, after all.

We are all unique, Baltsamic! At least that’s what we are told by the cosmetics manufacturers who want to sell us the umptieth version of a generic product which we all DESERVE because of our uniqueness…

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Hi oedipe -- and you wouldn’t believe the number of orders I took from gal pals before my recent New York visit on account of such unique Clinique stuff costing way less than in Yurp. Plus you remind me of the scene from the Life of Brian in which he tries to impress on the dumb-ass crowd that they should be able to think for themselves, that they are all individual. “Yes! We are all individual!” they cry, as one.

“I’m not”, mumbles a lone, apologetic voice…

BV,
            A familiar TV advert from some years ago which has filtered down to us via various other divæ, but this is the original and WORTH watching IT!

Yank version,

And —

The Brit version

A more recent [2004] version:

Now YOU’re Worth It!

• Nerva Nelli says:

• Loge says:

Ms. Bybee’s husband is Greer Grimsley. She has been singing smaller Ring roles. I guess she wants to be his wife onstage as well.

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Camille e Nerva -- molto grazie, I only just got these clips now as I have been away. Oh, what treasured memories!

And hasn’t “the other Met” done rather nicely out of those cosmetics fortunes lately?

Yessir, BV, it is a very BIG deal for the Met Museum.

It just goes to show that wrinkle creams are good for something besides crowsfeet.

• derschatzgabber says:

That reduction has been performed twice in the SF Bay Area. First by Berkeley Opera, and then by West Edge Opera (the company that evolved out of Berkeley Opera). It’s interesting, if not entirely satisfying to anyone who knows the complete cycle well (it might make a useful introduction for a newbie hesitant about trying the whole cycle). It is also re-orchestrated for a chamber orchestra and all of the big orchestral passages are cut (no Rhine Journey or Funeral March). The reduction tells the basic story, but some characters are completely cut. There is no Erda, so Wotan changes his mind about giving the giants the Ring with no external prompting.

It’s a bit of a shame that this will be a concert performance. A big part of the fun of seeing the abridged version put on by a smaller company, like Berkeley Opera, was the ingenious ways in which the production team staged the Ring on a shoe-string budget.

At the end of Gotterdamerung, Loge came out in a janitor’s suit (with “Loge” name patch on the shirt), swept all of the props into a garbage can, and wheeled it off stage.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Well, she has a lot of metal in the voice… She looks much bigger than when I saw her at the Met a few years back as the Bruenni in Siegfried.

(Loved that top comment about the Met ‘craptacular.’)

Is that Theorin? Her sound is exciting -- I like that shimmer and spin it has. Shame about the lack of words, though.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Yes, it is. I saw her as a very appropriately athletic, teenage-like Bruenni in the Siegfried at the Met maybe 4 yrs ago… She had a much more secure, brighter sound then, but she’s still very exciting and certainly more appropriate than many out there.

Must be something in the water in Sweden???? Theorin, Stemme and Dalayman…

She is meant to be pregnant in the Copenhagen production, isn’t she?
          I once read that Sweden produces good singers because Swedish is a ‘vomitory’ open-throat language.

• luvtennis says:

As for Theorin, I can’t really tell what pitches she is singing much of the time. I love you all but I don’t think this does justice to the music. By the way, Siegfried J., whom I have enjoyed in the past, sounds in trouble in the GD excerpt. The voice cannot get all the way up there sometimes so he fakes it. Must have been I’ll. He was a better singer of this.

• phoenix says:

yes, Theorin’s Götterdämmerung Brünnhilde got much better over the last few years -- but in Siegfried not so much (IMO, of course) -- unfortunately you really need a voice in it’s prime.
    - Getting back to the subject of this thread, Saturday’s webcast -- does anyone actually have anything honestly viable to say about it? Many of us come on here just to exercise their wit (I don’t have any to exercise) -- such web literari are informative & clever but rarely take the risk of true cut-throat criticism (am I beginning to sound like Geneviève?)
    - In all honest I did not see/hear that webcast Saturday but yesterday they rebroadcast another fliegende Holländer from Stuttgart done last January at Zürich Oper -- with Kampe again as Senta. Now I have listened to several Kampe Sentas (pun intended) -- in Zürich she was almost stripped down to ‘topless” vocally -- aim, scream = hit or miss. Nothing reliable above an ‘A’. But isn’t that what audiences thrill to (will she make it or will she not? poor dear!)? Zinka, Leonie & my beloved Régine (in their late careers) were glaring practitioners of that grand out-of-legato vocal archery & look what great success they garnered! Ah, welcum Kampe! Keep it up, girl!

• m. croche says:

So far as I can tell, Phoenix, you are the first person on the internet and perhaps in print to use the evocative phrase “vocal archery”. Well done.

• phoenix says:

From a Grand Master, much appreciated!

I am a bit worried about the targets though -- could they be related to fundamental topics discussed elsewhere?

• phoenix says:

Absolument -- ces caractères mensongers -> elswhere indeed, all over the place. As Nerva has pointed out, the most accessible can be found on NYT and AP, but don’t forget the bloggeress mesdames who loquaciously prostitute their opinions in conformity with these most powerful propagandists -- such meritricious hags give free passes left and right -- for what? do they get free tickets, dvd’s, cd’s, parties, etc. or does it just make them feel accepted, exalted or whatever? There is the infamous shrill offpitch coloratura who advertises her favorite role in her website title, but she is eclipsed by the Grande Patroness of Filth across the sea, Mistress of the Intermezzo Court. There are many, many more of course, but thankfully I have not encountered most of them yet.
            - I admired and do miss the revealing insight of Poison Ivy -- probably the most interesting reading of any of the classical arts blogs.

• bluecabochon says:

Phoenix, Ivy’s blog is back up! :)

E? troppo sibillino!

• phoenix says:

blue, thanks for the good news about Ivy! I haven’t seen any comments from her recently (but I don’t read every thread on here, either).
            manou, I didn’t know they were related!

• bluecabochon says:

Ivy popped into chat on Saturday for a bit, phoenix -- it was good to see her. :)

Bravo Phoenix, you have a “bonne plume”!
            I generally agree with you on everything you write (except for your antipathy for Sophie Koch).

• phoenix says:

Œdipe, France Musique broadcast a recital with Sophie Koch last year -- I don’t know whether you heard it or not -- but it was quite successful, particularly her Debussy -- as good or better than anyone I’ve ever heard do them. Why is she wasting her time with the operas when she is probably the best singer around for those impossibly difficult mélodies lyriques? No, I don’t like her in the operas -- not enough splash for me -- but on the concert stage she would conquer the world!

Dunno, Phoenix. She already has a very successful career, though she rarely sings in the US and will probably never sing at the Met. I do think she is better in some roles rather than in others. But then, unlike some others, I don’t that’s true of ALL singers, there are no “gods” among them.

…I think that’s true of ALL singers…

• phoenix says:

Œdipe, I am not a musician nor even a college graduate, but I am sure you, too, would notice how much more fluid, idiomatic & unpretentious uncontrived she sang that rep than most who attempt it nowadays.
            - I think she will show up at the Met, but unfortunately like many foreign singers who come here, not until her better days are behind her.

• Nerva Nelli says:

“unfortunately like many foreign singers who come here, not until her better days are behind her”

• phoenix says:

You have to have had some better days in order to get them behind you -- this particular item has not to my recollection had any better that I know of -- check out her fabulous Donna del Lago!

Camille, DO NOT CLICK!! :)

Hahaha!!! Thanks for the warning but Nerva shall not lure me back into her bed of roses! Ich bin kein Napolitänischer General..wo ich steh’, steh’ ich!