• Porgy Amor: An infamous production. Whenever the anti-Gelbites get nostalgic for the Volpe years, when, in a rosy revisionist view, all... 7:59 PM
  • Signor Bruschino: What about the final scene with him and Zajick on the crazy merry-go-round thing? That night is burned in my brain! How... 7:58 PM
  • PCally: Big big fan, particularly as Hoffmann. He could be a bit much at times and I never found the sound the most intrinsically... 7:39 PM
  • Krunoslav: Well, thanks. I rather liked “IPHIGENIA IN TAURUS”, which sounds like a former Alden AD’s elevator pitch. 7:11 PM
  • armerjacquino: Heh! You are KILLING it this week, sir. 7:01 PM
  • Krunoslav: It took me four days to hitchhike from Fermanagh. 6:57 PM
  • armerjacquino: I’d agree with everything you say, with a slight caveat about ‘sounding more or less like herself’. The... 6:47 PM
  • The Poet Lenski: I suppose finding Shicoff’s behavior “so repulsive” that it impedes enjoyment of his art is a personal... 6:28 PM

Red sauce

La Cieca has put her little grey cells to work and deduced that Opera Orchestra of New York will present two performances next season: Andrea Chenier on January 6, 2013 at Carnegie Hall, with Roberto Alagna in the title role; followed by I Lombardi on April 8 starring Angela Meade and Michael Fabiano (pictured). Both performances will be conducted by Alberto Veronesi.

• 1
    belcantomaniac says:

So now that Eve’s no longer the head honcho does that mean there aren’t any more belcanto rarities?

• 2
    Nerva Nelli says:

Maybe he should go by “Mike von Otter”…

• 3
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

Is that photo hailing a cab in front of the Lyric Opera of Chicago?

• 4
    zinka says:

WHO is the Maddalena…?????????That will tell me if I want to go….

• 5
    wenarto says:

hot DIVO Fabiano….!

• 6
    DonCarloFanatic says:

Has anybody seen Fabiano lately? Has his acting improved?

• 7
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

Similar sleuthing seems to indicate Domingo’s first Renato in new production of Un ballo in maschera at La Scala by the director who just brutalized La boheme in Salzburg:

• 7.1
      Cocky Kurwenal says:

Domingo could conceivably be conducting that Ballo… but you’re probably right, perhaps he’s lost all sense of shame and is just going to sing whatever baritone roles take his fancy.

• 7.1.1
        armerjacquino says:

Domingo AND Radvanovsky, CK- booked your ticket yet?

• 7.1.1.1
          Cocky Kurwenal says:

Throw in Camilla Tilling as Oscar and I’ll have to book for the whole run.

Cocky, my only experience of Tilling was a CD of Strauss songs, which seemed a non-event (unexceptional lyric soprano in the characteristic early 21st century vein) rather than anything tooth-grating. Whence your particular aversion?

Maybe Annette Dasch could alternate with Sondra, in which case it’ll be one for Armer.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Monty, I think your reaction is the more appropriate to her particular set of attributes which I agree are much as you describe. But for some reason, I simply cannot stand her, not for a moment. I’ve seen her in Ballo, Orlando, the Mozart c minor mass and also having a brave stab at Ah Perfido!, and apart from in the Beethoven where she really was out of her depth, there was nothing about her performances one could really criticise. Nevertheless, I just can’t bear her.

What are your views on Eri Nakamura?

Monty, I’m hijacking your question to cocky- but my view of Eri Nakamura is that she has an unremarkable voice and overacts. Her ‘girlish laughter’ in the PASQUALE aria she sang at Cardiff would have been better suited to the end of ELEKTRA.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

I quite like Eri Nakamura. I know she isn’t popular around these parts, but I enjoyed her as Frasquita and Sophie, and on TV in her Cardiff heat. I must have seen her in countless other things at the ROH too but she hasn’t stood out. Not a soprano I can ever see myself raving about, but perfectly decent.

I think my reaction to Eri is a bit like yours to Fröken Tilling. I’m with Armer in his views on her singing and acting, but I also have a desire to slap her. Her Sophie in the ROH Werther with Mr Bean and Sophie Koch came over as a simpering little minx.

• 7.1.2
        Quanto Painy Fakor says:

Nabucco will be before Renato.

• 7.1.2.1
          Cocky Kurwenal says:

Yes I know, but in London fortunately he’s double cast with Nucci who together with Monastyrska could actually come up with something quite thrilling.

Wait, really? That I have to see.

It strikes me that, as usual, I know the entire Met season in every detail but have no idea what’s going on at CG!

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Nucci and Monastyrska are also doing it at La Scala just before, with Antonenko as Ismaele and the awesome Vitalij Kowaljow as Zaccaria, who was amazing as Ramphis the last time ROH did Aida. Now THERE’s a cast one really coudln’t grumble about!

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Just noticed Kowaljow is Zaccaria in London too, which is cheering -- we’re only missing Antonenko who, in truth, does seem a bit unnecessary for Ismaele.

• 7.1.3
        kashania says:

Once he committed to singing Dutchman (is that happening in Verona this summer?), all bets were off.

• 7.1.3.1
          Quanto Painy Fakor says:

No Dutchman.

Well, thank goodness for that!

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

I wonderd why we hadn’t heard anything. At what point did he cancel, and how did he position it? He should be taken to task over it- he ought to have the experience aged whatever he currently admits to to judge whether a role is appropriate or not, long before it gets announced and sold to the public.

• 7.2
      RosinaLeckermaul says:

And Domingo is singing the title role in Nabucco in London next Spring. I’m waiting for his Wotan.

• 7.3
      MontyNostry says:

Ulrica, maybe? But can he manage the bottom G?

• 8
    arepo says:

There is no booking indication anywhere on Sunday January 6 for Roberto Alagna.
    What gives?

• 8.1
      armerjacquino says:

La Cieca’s link to Alagna’s official Facebook page shows a listing for Carnegie Hall for Jan 6.

• 8.1.1
        arepo says:

Looks like Alagna is NOT singing at Carnegie Hall, according to an article. He is supposedly performing the Chenier at Avery Fisher Hall under the baton of Queler.
        So where and when can one purchase tickets?

• 9
    Hippolyte says:

Actually if one reads the provided link to Shuman Associates, it states that both OONY performaances are at Avery Fisher and that the Lombardi is being conducted by Queler.

• 10
    DeCaffarrelli says:

Speaking of early Verdi, the Lady Macbeth ID-quiz posted last week still has 36+ hours to run, ending at midnight tomorrow.

The Weird Sisters who helped me concoct it hasten to point out that no one has yet correctly identified all 18 Ladies. In fact, a few haven’t yet been mentioned at all, while others have been incorrectly placed--by some, and a couple mentioned but not placed in order at all.

Be the first on your block to be hailed “Thane of Cawdor” (and win an Amazon gift card too)!

• 11
    tiger1dk says:

Maybe Domingo should offer to sing Gerard -- he sings the aria often enough these days (and got favourable mention for it in Lodnon recently) and it would probably sell well with Alagna and him in the same show. It would be a way to make up for the farce/fiasco of this year Simon Boccanegra.

Cocky Kurwenal, why should Domingo be “taken to task” for NOT singing the Holländer (talking about a misguided idea)? It is not like he ever confirmed it or that the tickets were sold under the pretext that he would sing the part.

• 11.1
      Cocky Kurwenal says:

I thought it was originally slated for 2012, but I see that I remembered wrong- it was to be in 2013, in which case you are quite right- no sales will have yet been made on the strength of his involvement.

• 11.1.1
        tiger1dk says:

And I actually do not think Domingo’s involvement was ever to be found on any official Verona websites or his own website -- you would have to look pretty obscure places (like Parterre…) to find it.

• 11.2
      MontyNostry says:

Somehow, I can’t see Domingo wanting to play Gérard. He’s the most interesting character in the opera, but maybe too much of an almost-villain (and, ultimately, a loser) for Mr Good Guy Placido -- and without the tragic stature and title-role status of Rigoletto.

• 12
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

In case Eve needs a backup, the Family Pondman is always ready to step in

and Walter is already studying Chenier

and the family is heavily invested in projections

and Walther has learned Lohengrin in the original version with Saxophone

• 12.1
      Quanto Painy Fakor says:

Not since Corelli has anyone mastered the Pondman technique for Manrico, which is superior to many singing in the big houses.

• 12.2
      Clita del Toro says:

Walter sounds as if he about to throw up when he sings, and I am about to barf as well. LOL