• Cocky Kurwenal: As discussed on here recently, PLENTY of people are unconvinced by Leonie’s Sieglinde... 7:49 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: Does Sayao really have legendary status, though? Until this thread I don’t think... 7:45 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: http://parterre.co m/2014/08/17/catal ani-is-no-mrs-bill ington/ 7:38 AM
  • semira mide: Totally OT, sorry. Live stream of first performance of critical edition of Rossini’s... 5:14 AM
  • PushedUpMezzo: I know Spanish rake is a Don G reference, rhyming neatly with mannish fake; but Ildebrando is... 4:09 AM
  • steveac10: Hah! Good catch! Oddly, D’Arcangelo is one of my imaginary boyfriends (I have a virtual... 12:45 AM
  • mia apulia: indeed, lovely; in a period when recordings were left so much closer to what the singing... 12:34 AM
  • Krunoslav: Sylvia Sass under-recorded? MACBETH, ATTILA, BELFAGOR, BLUEBEARD’S CASTLE, DON GIOVANNI,... 11:59 PM
  • RobNYNY: Of course, Troyanos was a mezzo soprano, 11:22 PM
  • bluecabochon: The Oracle HAS SPOKEN. 11:19 PM

Going to the mattresses

La Cieca reminds the cher public (pictured) of today’s live webcast of Der Rosenkavalier from Malmö Opera starting at 1:00 PM, accompanied by a chat session in La Casa della Cieca.

• redbear says:

Yikes! Really love the Mohammed casting!

• almavivante says:

Judging from that horrifying photograph of the Marshallin and Octavian, I gather that Malmo is using that notorious designer Vehdi Oogli. I will leave it to others with a stronger disposition than I to let us know if the production was the work of Kno Kandu.

• Does anyone know of the production will remain for latter viewing? it kept crapping out on me and I had to give up.

I have to say the production did not bother me at all.

• redbear says:

Don’t know if it’s available but the same company says they’re streaming Boheme the day after tomorrow (18th) but an hour earlier. In Paris it worked fine and the final trio was extraordinary. Who were the Sophie and Octavian? Both world class!

• phoenix says:

Lindo, I’m sure you are more interested in looking at it than listening to it, but here is an audio archive of the premiere:
      - As redbear notes, the Octavian (Dorottya Láng) and
      Sophie (Sofie Asplund) were in prime shape -- as I noticed in the premiere audio broadcast. I didn’t see/hear the video today, but the Marschallin (Charlotta Larsson), although she was about as decent as Martina Serafin was at the Met last season, was not outstanding. I remember Charlotta Larsson in previous performances, most notably her crystalline, lovely Mme. Lidione (Malmö 2010) -- in fact I listen to it once in awhile just to hear the beauty of her signing again. She doesn’t sound like the same singer in this Marschallin.

• redbear says:

Just got a note that Madrid is streaming the new Contes d’Hoffmann (in a Marthaler production, obviously a Mortier creation from beyond the grave) on the 21st at 7pm CET. When Opearcat.com gets that posted, it looks like I will have only one day this week to get to wash my hair.
    Here: http://www.palcodigital.com

The staging of the orchestral introduction of Act I in the Malmo Rosenkavalier is spectacular. Can’t figure out why the crazy costumes and make-up don’t disturb things.

Talking of Rosenkavalier, it sounds like all the usual Richard Jones tics are on display in the new Glyndebourne production. Apparently wallpaper was much in evidence too.

• operaassport says:

I particularly enjoyed when the hot muscle stud showed up at the end of Act One!

• operaassport says:

Was the conductor Father Time?

The Malmö La boheme features one of the worst Musettas I’ve ever seen.