• ilpenedelmiocor: Oops, sorry, should have replaced the “s” it seems: httpv://www.you... 11:05 PM
  • ilpenedelmiocor: OK, these quotes make me feel just a *LITTLE* bit better about the fact that every... 11:04 PM
  • Grane: I like Christmas at Carnegie Hall with Kathleen Battle, Kathleen Battle’s Big Red Dress, oh,... 11:02 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I also never get tired of showing this video for the way Fiorenza Cossotto carries on and on at... 11:00 PM
  • Rackon: Bethlehem Down is one of my 2 favorite Christmas carols. It’s quite well known to choral... 10:52 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Only that she completely messed up her lines during Aida’s entrance. 10:30 PM
  • Clita del Toro: If you call the cries of a dying hyena, ” squillo” then good for you. Giordani... 10:29 PM
  • zinka: Sorry to hear,even from friends NOT prejudiced against the wonderful SQUILLO of Marcello(people call... 9:47 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Guys I found this gem from nearly 20 years ago of Olga Borodina’s Amneris. Look at that... 9:37 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Palombi was the substitute when Alagna threw a hissy fit at La Scala. 7:41 PM

Going to the mattresses

La Cieca reminds the cher public (pictured) of today’s live webcast of Der Rosenkavalier from Malmö Opera starting at 1:00 PM, accompanied by a chat session in La Casa della Cieca.

• redbear says:

Yikes! Really love the Mohammed casting!

• almavivante says:

Judging from that horrifying photograph of the Marshallin and Octavian, I gather that Malmo is using that notorious designer Vehdi Oogli. I will leave it to others with a stronger disposition than I to let us know if the production was the work of Kno Kandu.

• Does anyone know of the production will remain for latter viewing? it kept crapping out on me and I had to give up.

I have to say the production did not bother me at all.

• redbear says:

Don’t know if it’s available but the same company says they’re streaming Boheme the day after tomorrow (18th) but an hour earlier. In Paris it worked fine and the final trio was extraordinary. Who were the Sophie and Octavian? Both world class!

• phoenix says:

Lindo, I’m sure you are more interested in looking at it than listening to it, but here is an audio archive of the premiere:
      - As redbear notes, the Octavian (Dorottya Láng) and
      Sophie (Sofie Asplund) were in prime shape -- as I noticed in the premiere audio broadcast. I didn’t see/hear the video today, but the Marschallin (Charlotta Larsson), although she was about as decent as Martina Serafin was at the Met last season, was not outstanding. I remember Charlotta Larsson in previous performances, most notably her crystalline, lovely Mme. Lidione (Malmö 2010) -- in fact I listen to it once in awhile just to hear the beauty of her signing again. She doesn’t sound like the same singer in this Marschallin.

• redbear says:

Just got a note that Madrid is streaming the new Contes d’Hoffmann (in a Marthaler production, obviously a Mortier creation from beyond the grave) on the 21st at 7pm CET. When Opearcat.com gets that posted, it looks like I will have only one day this week to get to wash my hair.
    Here: http://www.palcodigital.com

The staging of the orchestral introduction of Act I in the Malmo Rosenkavalier is spectacular. Can’t figure out why the crazy costumes and make-up don’t disturb things.

Talking of Rosenkavalier, it sounds like all the usual Richard Jones tics are on display in the new Glyndebourne production. Apparently wallpaper was much in evidence too.

• operaassport says:

I particularly enjoyed when the hot muscle stud showed up at the end of Act One!

• operaassport says:

Was the conductor Father Time?

The Malmö La boheme features one of the worst Musettas I’ve ever seen.