• Henry Holland: Thanks for the heads up, I’ll give it a listen this weekend. 1:57 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: OK – this cements it: I am officially changing the cast and date on my Mixcloud page and removing... 1:44 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Listen to her Leonore from Wiener Staatsoper in June at my Mixcloud page and judge for yourself.... 1:39 AM
  • Cicciabella: Soffel is not the youngest of singers. Making allowances for that, I liked what she did with the text. No-one was anywhere... 1:11 AM
  • dr.malatempra: Indeed, the finest Verdi baritone singing I have heard since the prime of Cornell Macneil or the young,(Goldovsky Opera... 12:52 AM
  • Rosemont: Thank you for the reports and reviews from Santa Fe! I will be there for the first time first week of August…und freue... 12:25 AM
  • Lohenfal: Sure, but as I said, they (or others) may not be available. These singers are signed up way in advance. One never knows what... 12:11 AM
  • Sanford: She is terrific but the men are pretty awful, especially the tenor. The other voice I liked was Margareta Elkins. 11:34 PM

Whippersnappers invade lawn

“A lot seems to be spent on productions that simply aren’t worth it. There seems to be a somewhat useless quest among directors for novelty and something alternative at any price. I wish managements could get directors and designers away from the idea that somehow or other they’ve got to do something different,” grumbled a 90-year-old. [The Telegraph]

• -Ed. says:

I can only speak to iTunes as it’s what I use, perhaps Amazon and other sources behave similarly. The tracks are numbered. When you download an album, the tracks will sort in the order that the other music on your PC is currently sorted. Again, the sort order is easily changed by simply clicking on a column header. Sometimes I sort my music by artist, sometimes by album, sometimes by file size, etc.

• phoenix says:

I tried Google Play this time and got all the tracks numbered and in sequential order. All I have to do is click on the first track. The only drawback is some of the tracks have awkward breaks resulting in a split-second empty click in the music (whereas a CD or DVD recording would be smoother without brokenup tracks). For some things this download track system is fine, particularly if I have the time to go in and try to remove the breaks.
      -Ed., thanks again.

• -Ed. says:

Welcome! Sometimes in iTunes I hear that momentary break between tracks, but usually not. You might poke around the settings in Google Play to see if there is an adjustment to compensate for it. If the original recording from the record label contained no gap, there shouldn’t be one from these other sources. I’ve had a few instances where the track title was wrong. In my recording of La Bohème (Serafin; Tebaldi, Bergonzoni) the album name for acts 3 and 4 is written in Chinese. As you say, the technology is not perfect and their QC efforts, particularly in the classical music genre, are sometimes found wanting.

Should you decide to rip a copy of the album onto a CD be sure to indicate in the settings that you do not want a time break between tracks.

Bergonzoni? What was he on?

• phoenix says:

-Ed.: More problems encountered. I downloaded a two disk opera that I had previously owned, so I knew the work & the recording. The first disk downloaded complete; the second disk didn’t come through -- it merely repeated the first 15 tracks of the first disk over again and only included the last 2 tracks from the original 2nd disk at the end. I called Google Play and they checked the download out -- they couldn’t figure out what happened, they said they’d investigate the original files next week -- so they gave me a refund for now and told me to keep the download and wait for an update if they can fix it -- they have good customer service.

• -Ed. says:

Well that’s nice of them, I guess. Sounds like iTunes and Google both need to pull up their socks.