• decotodd: Yes the audiences at LA Opera are generally younger and more diverse than the HD crowd at my theater, too (Beverly Hills/Century... 7:29 PM
  • fletcher: I go to almost every Met HD broadcast in downtown Los Angeles. I’m always the only one there under 30, usually under 40,... 7:13 PM
  • armerjacquino: The audiences at the Met HDs I’ve been to in London have been largely in their 30s and 40s. 6:46 PM
  • javier: this is great news. 6:21 PM
  • EarlyRomantic: In a separate thread yesterday, I wrote about the Trovatore HD transmission (which I enjoyed and which, by the way, was my... 5:51 PM
  • armerjacquino: That’s a shame about Serjan. I have a live recording of her in the role under Muti and she’s terrific. 5:33 PM
  • parpignol: stumbled into Vienna Macbeth prima this evening, and really appreciated again how great the Trovatore at the Met was last week;... 5:24 PM
  • antikitschychick: Thank you messa di voce :-). Still have to write about Anna Bolena and Turandot. Hope to get it done by tonight.... 4:15 PM

Whippersnappers invade lawn

“A lot seems to be spent on productions that simply aren’t worth it. There seems to be a somewhat useless quest among directors for novelty and something alternative at any price. I wish managements could get directors and designers away from the idea that somehow or other they’ve got to do something different,” grumbled a 90-year-old. [The Telegraph]

• -Ed. says:

I can only speak to iTunes as it’s what I use, perhaps Amazon and other sources behave similarly. The tracks are numbered. When you download an album, the tracks will sort in the order that the other music on your PC is currently sorted. Again, the sort order is easily changed by simply clicking on a column header. Sometimes I sort my music by artist, sometimes by album, sometimes by file size, etc.

• phoenix says:

I tried Google Play this time and got all the tracks numbered and in sequential order. All I have to do is click on the first track. The only drawback is some of the tracks have awkward breaks resulting in a split-second empty click in the music (whereas a CD or DVD recording would be smoother without brokenup tracks). For some things this download track system is fine, particularly if I have the time to go in and try to remove the breaks.
      -Ed., thanks again.

• -Ed. says:

Welcome! Sometimes in iTunes I hear that momentary break between tracks, but usually not. You might poke around the settings in Google Play to see if there is an adjustment to compensate for it. If the original recording from the record label contained no gap, there shouldn’t be one from these other sources. I’ve had a few instances where the track title was wrong. In my recording of La Bohème (Serafin; Tebaldi, Bergonzoni) the album name for acts 3 and 4 is written in Chinese. As you say, the technology is not perfect and their QC efforts, particularly in the classical music genre, are sometimes found wanting.

Should you decide to rip a copy of the album onto a CD be sure to indicate in the settings that you do not want a time break between tracks.

Bergonzoni? What was he on?

• phoenix says:

-Ed.: More problems encountered. I downloaded a two disk opera that I had previously owned, so I knew the work & the recording. The first disk downloaded complete; the second disk didn’t come through -- it merely repeated the first 15 tracks of the first disk over again and only included the last 2 tracks from the original 2nd disk at the end. I called Google Play and they checked the download out -- they couldn’t figure out what happened, they said they’d investigate the original files next week -- so they gave me a refund for now and told me to keep the download and wait for an update if they can fix it -- they have good customer service.

• -Ed. says:

Well that’s nice of them, I guess. Sounds like iTunes and Google both need to pull up their socks.