• Hans Lick: I’m glad folks have mentioned Steffani — but no one’s named Cavalli yet?... 11:32 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Aww thanks DSS. I’m glad Mrs. DSS is in the Jonas fan-club :) 11:27 PM
  • arepo: Hearing this clip and comparing it to Hymel’s Pinkerton left me scratching my head too. He... 10:50 PM
  • Krunoslav: Among High Stalinism’s millions of 1937 victims: Archpriest Georgi Izvekov, a composer of... 10:24 PM
  • RobNYNY: Liszt was an abbé. 9:39 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Voice teachers today don’t seem to instruct their students in this method always... 9:36 PM
  • basso profundo: “centred around” 9:17 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: others: Agostino Steffani, Giovanni Battista Lampugnani, Manuel de Zumaya, Giovanni... 9:04 PM
  • le cerf agile: A fourth:Lorenzo Perosi. 8:57 PM
  • Will: A second priest/opera composer: Antonio Vivaldi A third: Claudio Monteverdi 8:22 PM

The long and winding rodent

Since Jonas Kaufmann is so in the news right now, Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin has selected as this week’s listening treat the tenor’s debut performance at the Bayreuth Festival, a July 25, 2010 performance of Lohengrin.

Richard Wagner: Lohengrin

Bayreuther Festspiele
Andris Nelsons, conductor
25 July 2010

Lohengrin – Jonas Kaufmann
Elsa von Brbnant – Annette Dasch
Ortrud – Evelyn Herlitzius
Friedrich von Telramund – Hans-Joachim Ketelsen
Heinrich der Vogler – Georg Zeppenfeld
Der Heerrufer des Königs – Samuel Youn

• bluecabochon says:

Let me be the first to say THANK YOU!

• Satisfied says:

I second…wonderful listening and a nice little warm up for Herlitzius’s Marie at Carnegie this Friday.

Thanks LC!

• Rory Williams says:

So blue gets “First!” but I get second. Thank you, thank you. Now if this would just come out on DVD! A mind-boggling production that I need to see in better res than my little YouTube steal. Thanks way mucho to Jungfer (and, of course, Our Hostess, LaC). Happy Lohengrin, guys.

• laddie says:

Rory -- Do you mean a DVD with JOnas because the Rat Lohengrin has long been available on DVD with Klaus Florian Vogt, MY secret husband!

• Rory Williams says:

I mean Jonas plus Anette getting her hand slammed in the piano plus Jonas barefoot in the reeds. I am aware that my not-a-secret openly acknowledged husband KF has been rocking the rats for some time now, so … Back Off!

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Ah, the Guth LaScala production: I loved that! I also hoped very much it would be on DVD but haven’t heard anything about it…LOVED that production. It was up on YT for a while.

• Fidelia says:

FraFra, Somebody saved the YT video for me of that great Guth production. Would you like me to see if I can send it to you? It’s the next best thing to a DVD …
              We saw it live at the next-to-last night, when they pulled out all the stops (with Anja that night). An unforgettable night.

I thought you were married to Peter Mattei???

Just how MANY of these secret husbands is a girl allowed, as I want to get in on this action, too……..?

• Rory Williams says:

blue always gets first while I get second! (pouts)

• bluecabochon says:

Posted at 8 AM…first thank you’s after 4 PM! I felt bad that no one thanked Jungfer for 8 hours!

Going to see Jonas in Werther tomorrow night. :)

True blue…..but should one listen first and thank later or thank first? There must be some protocol to follow.

With no disrespect to Kaufmann, here is a young tenor to nurture for the future -- David Portillo

• hagenschmagen says:

Couldn’t agree more! He’s sung a few times here in Philadelphia on loan from LOC’s young artist program and was clearly a singer to watch on each occasion.

He comes back in April for Don Giovanni with a cast that reads like a Met National Council Auditions reunion- Elliot Madore, Michelle Johnson, Joseph Barron, Nicholas Masters, plus the lovely Amanda Majeski, Cecelia Hall and Wes Mason.

• SacredMonster says:

I’m sorry but this sounds like a poor man’s Stephen Costello….

• la vociaccia says:

I’m not doing backflips over his voice (just slightly in the nose for me) but he sings this aria much better than Costello. I don’t even think the comparison is necessarily valid; Portillo has demonstrated an affinity for French music (he was great in the Juilliard Armide two years ago), while Costello sings all of his music, from Donizetti to Gounod, through the same one-size-fits-all Italian approach

• Krunoslav says:

Agree absolutely, David Portillo is a very good artist and was excellent in the Minnesota BOLENA, far more stylish and musical ( and less deer-in-the-headlights dramatically) than Costello at the Met. And ARMIDE was also terrific. Watch for him.

Totally different singers! If Portillo plays his cards right, he will last.

• Ilka Saro says:

This Lohengrin made a tedious day of writing data code whiz by.

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Thank you! Is it possible to save this, so that I don’t have to be next to my laptop to hear it? (I have a Mac)

• Rory Williams says:

Fragende (everyone else stop reading boring tech info): If you listen via Firefox for Mac you can use Download Helper to download. This is a Firefox “Add On” that you may have to add on (geddit?). Look just right of your big fat “back/forward” icon up left on yr Firefox menu (the ones that look like tape deck buttons). If you see a little twirly click it and Helper will be there. If you don’t see a twirly, go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/. You may need to add/enable the Add On. These are Firefox OK, so don’t worry about adding to yr system; they won’t harm you. (Some other Add Ons listed there may be appealing, too.) Once a stream starts, you can download it as an MP3, or whatever format it’s in, that you can move into yr iTunes or listen via QuickTime Player, as you prefer. Once you start the download, you can leave it by closing the source window (like Parterre) and it will continue (which will make the download way faster, since you won’t be downloading twice simultaneously). You can see where it’s going to download before you click start (can be yr desktop or yr downloads folder, depending on how yr defaults are set). Notice the file name and you can use Find to find the file later if you aren’t sure where it will go. This works for “unprotected” (most) YouTube clips etc. These files can be kinda big — this Lohengrin took me about 20 minutes on a well fast T1 at work — but they will come across. Only tricky part can be spotting file name if you have a crowded hard drive, so watch for that file name. If this is confusing, Google Firefox Add Ons and prowl. Best, Rory

• bluecabochon says:

Thanks for the instructions, Rory! :D I hardly ever use Firefox for some reason but am glad to for this.

You can also save the file to your desktop so it’s easier to find.

I have a little arrow next to the swirly and I clicked on that to choose the download option I wanted. I’m sure it will take a lot of time, but my morning I will hopefully have it all.

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Thanks, Rory! Especially for the tip that the source window can be closed & the download wil continue…I appreciate the clear instructions.

• Fidelia says:

Thank you for this treat! And thank you, Rory, for the info on how to save it.

I loved this version when I listened to it live on line. How lovely to be able to save it and come back to it henceforth, whenever the urge arises.

• Rory -- this all worked for me to download Jungfer Marianne’s Lohengrin, but when I tried to download Obratzova’s debut as Amneris the file downloaded as an mp4, so when I copy it into iTunes it shows up as a movie, not a music file.

Any workaround for this?

Many thanks.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

Google “convert mp4 to mp3.” Find a safe program and download it. Do the conversion and delete the program from your system unless you think you’ll need it in the future.

Mixcloud will only accept mp3 files, so I occasionally have to convert files when they are in another format and this is what I do. It takes me a while to prepare an upload, as I have to convert to mp3, and then join all the tracks, then upload, and then time-stamp the individual acts, plus create/find and upload text and artwork.

• Rory Williams says:

Jungfer: In trying to help Lurker I realized a workaround that might be useful for you. If you have an audio-only file with the extension mp4 change it to m4a. Import that into iTunes and it will be recognized as audio-only. Then when you select it and open File/Create New Version in the iTunes menu the option Create MP3 Version will be available. The extension mp4 makes iTunes think there’s video, so it grays out Create MP3 Version. The file structure is the same; you just have to tip iTunes that the file is audio-only. May not always work, but worth a try.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

Thanks, Rory, but I actually don’t (gasp!) use iTunes. If you Google “mp4 to mp3 free” there is a quick, easy, reliable program available through through CNET that I use. It’s very rare that I need it, though, as the majority of my uploads are coming from CDs, so I just use CDex to create mp3s.

• Rory Williams says:

I’m assuming you’re on Mac. Don’t much know Windows.

Instead of double-clicking the file to open it, launch Quicktime Player and open the file via the Open File command there. Then via File/Export you can select to export the audio only from the pick list.

If you Get Info (command + i) on the file, you can change your preferences to open all such in Quicktime rather than installing into iTunes. I prefer that since I often don’t want to install a YouTube movie, just export the music. If I want it as a movie, I can always Add File in iTunes.

Hope that helps! Rory

• Jungfer and Rory -- thank you both so much for taking the time to explain. I didn’t respond right away because I wanted to see if either of your suggestions works. Yes, Rory, I am on a mac.

Using Quicktime to export to an audio file (m4a) somehow only exports 1/2 of the file -- the m4a file stops, to the second, halfway through. I’ve done this now twice, so I don’t think it’s me!

The free mp4 to mp3 programs I found are all trial versions which will only work for very small files -- to convert larger files you have to purchase the full version.

I still can’t understand why the mixcloud file downloads as an mp4, very strange.

Mille grazie.

• Rory Williams says:

I know you don’t think it’s you, but … it’s always us, Lurker. Our masters have decreed it be so! :) I’ve done this a few times but not for a while and the stuff I need to refresh my memory is at work and I’m now home. Let me get back to you. (Or, probably wiser, you get to me via rorywilliams20003 at gmail.com and I can reply, since this may already be more TM[public]I about sorta shady file sharing than La Cieca cares to have the Parterriat indulge in when we are her guests). Best! Rory

• A very public call out to thank Rory for all his help!

3>

• -Ed. says:

Things were simpler years ago during the advent of television, when all we had to do was hang a big piece of tinfoil from the rabbit ears.

• Rory Williams says:

Wot, you sit at your computer w/out protective tinfoil on your head!?!? Not me!!!!!!!! (borrowing exclamation points from The Zinka; she’ll never miss ‘em). Dude, watch for black helicopters over your abode at any minute! :)

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Thank you for the kind offer, Fidelia! I will check to see if I have it--I had gotten it from YT but suffered a catastrophic external HD death a while ago and lost all my JK treats…I’ve slowly gotten some back but still looking for others. Thanks again!

• Rackon says:

If your download fails, the JK La Scala Lohengrin is available as a dvd from Premiere Opera -- $4 this week.

• Rory Williams says:

Thanks for the tip. What kind of res are these, Rackon? Better than YouTube?

• Rackon says:

Almost all the DVDs I’ve had from Premiere have been excellent to good. It all depends on the source.

Recent operas,like the La Scala Lohengrin, are taken from either live streams or (more usually) TV broadcasts. Although they don’t list the bitstream rate, their videos are typically much better than YouTube. Some of their older material, shot from the audience, archive tapes, old TV broadcasts, home movies etc ranged from OK to wretched but that is true of most old, collector type material. They also have a ton of CDs, again, varying quality.

I just got the La Scala Lohengrin and haven’t had time to view it. My other JK DVDs are all happy purchases. I have always found PO very cordial to deal with. YMMV.

If you are into downloads there are sharing groups and a couple other “live opera” collector sites . Premiere is by far the most reasonable.

• Rory Williams says:

Thanks, Rackon. I wasn’t expecting super hi-res, just something watchable in a larger format than YouTube. I’ll check it out.

This has been just a great boon and a terrific gift to hear this, Jungferrissima!

It has prepared me for the Die Hertliziussound—-not pretty, but at times pretty terrific. Other than that, Frau Dasch looks pretty and sounded like a pretty weak sister and one easy to knock over, while Herr Kaufmann sounded as good in this as it can get these days and a league away from the Werther impersonation.

A great gift to us all, Marianne and my gratitude to you for your magnificent munificence!