• Regina delle fate: or maybe Dutch. 6:29 PM
  • Ilka Saro: “bodygebuild ete” looks plenty English to me. 6:27 PM
  • MontyNostry: It looks as though something has gone terribly wrong with the commedia dell’arte troupe in... 6:24 PM
  • pasavant: This is America. Speak English! 6:20 PM
  • Archaeopteryx: Here is what you are looking for, in full HD glory: http://www.amazon. de/Verdi-Trovat... 6:10 PM
  • Lindoro Almaviva: Yum… I’d do him 5:48 PM
  • operaassport: Okay, I’ll say it. He’s HOT! 5:48 PM
  • semira mide: Boy, didn’t they! 5:48 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I am just in from the Britten “War Requiem” – today is the 100th anniversary... 5:47 PM
  • semira mide: Yes,but I was assuming that the broadcasts needed the GM’s support, approval etc. 5:47 PM

Jersey girl

When has one “made it?” La Cieca will tell you when one has “made it.” One has “made it” when one is lampooned by that edgiest of all late-night funnymen, Jay Leno.

• -Ed. says:

Wasn’t the music for the US national anthem borrowed from an old English drinking song? I seem to remember something about that. I know from personal experience that it’s a lot easier to sing that thing after you’ve had a few belts. And it sound better then, too..

I don’t own a TV so I decided to go watch the Super Bowl in a bar. I thought Renée did just fine, but my favorite and most memorable experience that night was meeting the guy sitting on the stool next to me. We’re going to the symphony together this Friday. And he’s an opera newbie, so I’m taking him to La Bohème in April. And you know what it was that got us engaged in conversation? Renée. So I kinda owe her!

The orchestrator of the Superbowl 2014 version sent this comment to Slipped Disc: “For those interested it is written as a waltz. In other words it is in 3. “Oh oh say can you see by the 1-2-3-1-2-3?. It is ever so occasionally expanded to be in 4, though rarely. Renée wanted the beginning to really suggest an openness and purity and she wanted to float above it. Putting the first two stanzas in 4/4 time gave her that room she wanted. I went to the traditional 3/4 time after “Rocket’s Red Glare”—gave “proof through the night” etc etc. Into 3 we went for a traditional barn storming close. What an absolute trip to hear it in the midst of all that madness. Giant Bud Light cans and bombs and women on horses and rockets. You name it. Renée gave it her all and just hit it out of the park I think.”

• CwbyLA says:

that is such a nice story Ed. I hope you have fun with your new guy in the symphony, La Boheme and beyond!

• Regina delle fate says:

Things like that never happen to me. I should go to more Renée performances, probably.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

You should Regina -- I met a man at a Renee Rosenkavalier at the ROH, so it definitely isn’t an isolated incident.

• operaassport says:

Good for you! Another Renee story with a happy ending :)

• Spen says:

Good to hear Ed, have fun!

• Poison Ivy says:

Leno is so unfunny. I always feel like he’s some D-list Catskills stand-up who somehow made it to the Tonight Show. How he did it I have no idea, as he’s NOT FUNNY.

Everyone else who has made it to late night I find funny. Conan, Jimmy Fallon, Dave, Jimmy Kimmel, they’re all funny in their way. But Jay is just a lump of nothing.

• Spen says:

I love how she says ”IMAAAGINE”.

• olliedawg says:

Jay Leno is, thankfully, going away from our nighttime lineup. No reason to belabor his lameness any further. Renee is way too classy for his feeble attempts at poking fun of her to stick. She’s Teflon, he’s duck tape.

• Clita del Toro says:

Renee certainly is teflon:
        Teflon® is a brand of polytetrafluoroethylene , a solid polymer that is considered to be one of the world’s most slippery substances. :)

• uwsinnyc says:

I think the very fact that she was invited to sing-- and that an opera singer got such a mega-mainstream venue — trumps everything else.

I thought she did a great job and felt very very proud despite the somewhat peculiar and changing rhythm.

• PetertheModest says:

Has this set a precedent ? Will there be more to follow ?

• uwsinnyc says:

I hope so but can’t see it happening again for another few years.

• CwbyLA says:

Yes, it has PetertheModest. I hope you have seen the headlines on CNN that every major sports league will be inviting opera singers to sing the national anthem from now on.

Also, in the three days since the performance, the number of students enrolled in vocal programs has doubled. ALL the opera houses sold their remaining tickets and majority of them added extra performances. Isn’t it incredible?

I mean imagine where we would have been if the performance hasn’t taken place. Thankfully, we had low expectations from this 2 minute performance.

• Clita del Toro says:

I am selling my condo and giving the money to LOC, just because Renee sang at the Super Bowl. Renee has saved opera for at least the next 150 years. I can die happy!

• CwbyLA says:

Clita, since you are in such a generous spirit, may I offer to buy your condo from you and pay you back with Fleming albums? I’ll throw in her book to sweeten the deal. ;-)

• Flora del Rio Grande says:

Clita, tut tut!! Too soon for you to die. You are one of our Icons. You must spend more time with Renee; I can tell she fulfills some of your emotional needs. She IS an awfully nice person.
            Love ya! Dolores del Rio Grande, or similar.

+1!

• Flora del Rio Grande says:

Clita! I’ll outbid Cowboy and throw in a
        prostate massage in addition. Come on out to
        Palm Springs, where we are freezing to death
        at night this week, for demonstration.
        Yrs, FLORA del Cactus

• Clita del Toro says:

Flora, my partner and I have been actually thinking of visiting Palm Springs, LOL

• olliedawg says:

uwsinnyc: Yes about everything you said, including the strange rhythm.

Now Renee has had her prolonged moment of glory on here, I felt I had just had to post this alternative diva (or aspiring diva) version — plus bilingual Canadian anthem …

Well, I finally got through it this time.
      Oh dear, the poor Measha the Bgurl just doesn’t get it, does she?

At least, you could hear her: when she sang the Wesendonck Lieder at Carnegie Hall she just brought a wisp of a voice that evening. Lovely yellow gown and behaved and waved like a queen, though.

I heard she had had heart problems—perhaps that is a part of it…….?

She has a major operation for something like an aneurysm a few years ago.
        I saw her in recital in 2006 and really liked it, but when I saw again a few years later she had become more than somewhat mannered and the voice seemed to have lost focus. A shame, because she certainly has something.

• pobrediablo says:

“Lemme hear you!!”

• olliedawg says:

She brings to mind what I believe was Judy Garland’s standard line when visiting colleagues post-performance: “Darling, how do you do what you do?”

• Renée Fleming made it back by swimming across the icy Hudson to sing Rusalka at the Met on Tuesday night. The review on Superconductor.