• Walther von Holzhaufen: A very perceptive observation, m. croche. 4:10 AM
  • gerbear: Thank you PCally: Ms. Pieczonka was the first person I thought of as well. 10:38 PM
  • Krunoslav: “what to make of Christopher Marlowe’s Edward II? ” That’s a Poker Scene to rival the one in FANCIULLA. 9:10 PM
  • m. croche: The lyrical, expressive score by Paula M. Kimper is the opera’s central attraction, and the closest comparison I can make to... 4:38 PM
  • La Cieca: Check back tomorrow at noon for a link to the video and a discussion page for La Juive. 4:23 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Another senior moment. I read “porker̶ 1;. 1:25 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Anna Netrebko’s “Vier letzte Lieder” (“Four Last Songs”) of Richard Strauss are now on Mixcloud. Christian... 1:04 PM
  • laddie: Whoops, WRONG day, dearie. 11:52 AM

Weekend in München

A parterre reader writes: “After much effort I obtained excellent Parkett seats (2) for Onegin Jan. 4 and Forza (Kaufmann) Jan.5.  Now, my trip to Munich has been cancelled and I am hoping to be able resell the tickets at face value.”

If you are interested in contacting this reader to purchase these tickets, please email hamish.toronto@gmail.com.

• 1
    Feldmarschallin says:

May I add that both productions are certainly worth seeing and certainly the Forza will be one of the opera highlights of the winter season. I will be at that Forza and at the Onegin on the 7th.

• 2
    Clita del Toro says:

Marshie La dearest, Madame Camille sends you a hug and a kiss and wishes you a restful and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. She and Mr. Camille have come down with a bug in Florida.

• 2.1
      marshiemarkII says:

Oh Clitisssima, please send her all my LOVE and best wishes for the promptest recovery! and off course tell her how much we miss her! I just saw this, as I had company all evening! bug kisses to you Clita also, my carisssimaest!

• 2.2
      Feldmarschallin says:

Florida? I thought she was going to Switzerland for some treatments.

• 2.3
      bluecabochon says:

Please extend healing thoughts from bluecab to the Camilles. I have missed her voice and wish them both a very merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and I look forward to seeing her again on these pages.

Too many bugs and geckos in Florida, anyway!

• 3
    PushedUpMezzo says:

She looks terrified
    What did he say?

• 4
    bluecabochon says:

“Don’t pull on my extensions”.

• 5
    La Valkyrietta says:

ALVARO
    traendo una pistola
    No. Difenderti degg’io.

LEONORA
    Ripon quell’arma. Contro al genitore
    Vorresti? . . .

ALVARO
    No, contro me stesso!

LEONORA
    Orrore!

• 6
    Clita del Toro says:

I will watch next week, but so far I am not big on Harteros’ Verdi. After her DC, Trovatore, I think she us an excellent singer, but not my idea of a great Verdi interpreter. I know this is a blasphemous statement, but what am I gonna do. But I am still open to her Leonora.

• 7
    La Valkyrietta says:

The same exchange if we want to go back to ‘Don Álvaro o la fuerza del sino’ of Ángel de Saavedra, Duque de Rivas. It shows how wonderful PIave was condensing text.

LEONOR. (Oyendo el ruido más cerca.) ¡Ay, desdichada de mí! Don Álvaro, escóndete aquí…, en mi alcoba.

ÁLVARO. (Resuelto.) No, yo no me escondo… No te abandono en tal conflicto. Defenderte y salvarte es mi obligación. (Prepara una pistola.)

LEONOR. (Muy asustada.) ¿Qué intentas? ¡Ay! Retira esa pistola que me hiela la sangre… Por Dios, suéltala… ¿La dispararás contra mi buen padre? ¿Contra alguno de mis hermanos?… ¿Para matar a alguno de los fieles y antiguos criados de esta casa?

ÁLVARO. (Profundamente conmovido.) No, no, amor mío. La emplearé en dar fin a mi desventurada vida.

LEONOR. ¡Qué horror!… ¡Don Álvaro!

• 8
    La Valkyrietta says:

Piave.

• 9
    operaassport says:

I’m seeing it on Christmas Day or is it Eve? Have to look at my ticket. Forza doesn’t really work without exceptional singer but I’m hoping for the best!

• 10
    antikitschychick says:

Am really looking forward to this!!! Hopefully I can watch it live…Jonas looks uber cute with that long mane…he and Anja have great chemistry and they are both excellent singers and interpreters. Thanks be to the Opera Gods and technology for allowing us the opportunity to see and hear these two greats in their prime making role debuts.

• 11
    hamish says:

Many thanks La Cieca and Lohengrin. Several readers responded and one generously posted on the Forum for me. (my German is inadequate for the site).
    Eventually the Staatsoper offered, as an “exception”, to cancel the orders and refund me. So the tickets are longer mine.

• 11.1
      Feldmarschallin says:

They only do that when it is completely sold out and those tickets are long sold again. There were people paying twice the amount and holding up 100€’s.

• 12
    CwbyLA says:

Dear Knowlegable Parterrians,
    Are there other opera houses in Munich in addition to Staatsoper? I will be there between Feb 16-19. The only think they have is Il Turco in Italia but I saw the same cast (and maybe the production) in LA so I don’t want to go to that again if there are alternatives. Many thanks for your suggestions.