• phoenix: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=8_8w AYHXJ5c httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=SKvm bfZCszU 11:23 AM
  • oedipe: But I was struck by its similarity with the photos I saw of the Bayerische Staatsoper bldg. after... 11:22 AM
  • Bill: Krunoslav – well yes, Lysiart does require a Paul Schoeffler timbre – Ryan Kuster sang it... 11:08 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: It’s interesting that both Caballe and Sutherland had made their sensational US debuts... 11:08 AM
  • Chanterelle: Here’s the thing: there’s been months of ugly posturing to the press from both... 11:06 AM
  • manou: Plus there is also this: http://www.bayeris che.staatsoper.de/ 861-ZG9tPWRvbTEmbX NnX2lkPTE3MjY1-... 11:01 AM
  • manou: God forbid. 10:48 AM
  • kashania: Mozart Freak: Fair enough, there has been plenty of invective expressed at the unions here. But... 10:46 AM
  • DeepSouthSenior: I’m encouraged reading the positive comments about William Burden. Burden is... 10:46 AM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: Aida – Sesostri re d’egitto (Terredellas) Traviata – Semele... 10:45 AM

Love letter in the sand

Well done, littoraldrift! Your combination of YouTube video and comment regarding Jamie Barton lead an excellent field of competitors. You’re the winner of a free pair of ticket to the Greene Space presentation tomorrow night!

Adesso daró fastidio -- an excellent of competitors?

• antikitschychick says:

Kudos and congrats to littoraldrift :-D I agree that Jamie’s performance was a tour de force.

Oh gee, I had my little heart set on winning, sob!

Don’t I get a consolation prize, La Cieca? A rap on the knuckles? A Bronx cheer?
    A one-way ticket to Flushing?

I kinda thunk that la vociaccia shoulda won but, whatevah—!
    At least Jamie Barton deserved to win!

• antikitschychick says:

now now Camille,

My entry didn’t qualify since I don’t live in NY but we ALL know I’d have won hands down otherwise! :-P

Neither of these biatches can compare to the supreme byotch (or is it byatch??) I forget lol.

Don’t get your biatches mixed up with bialys, honeychild. You need to know the difference between bialys, biatches and BYOTCHES, which is the current, correct form of the word.

Seriously, chica, I have a good book which I would like to recommend to you, its title is: Singing in Style — A Guide to Vocal Performance Practices, by Martha Elliott, publisher Yale University Press. The reason I recommend this book to you (today I was going through a bunch of them and deciding their ultimate destinations) is because it is very clear, succinctly laying out its groundwork in an orderly fashion and covering a very wide range of stylistic territories, from early baroque to early 20th c. nationalism and the last section is working with living composers. Even if you look through it and think ‘Oh, I already know that’, and you very well may have already covered that ground in your musical studies, read and reconsider, and then there is a goldmine of a bibliographical further reading section in the back which lays out twenty extra pages on original reference books on many, many kinds of stylistic practises. I believe most of them are probably in English but have not perused the entire list.

Anyway, it may be helpful and might acquaint you with many more ideas which you may enjoy, find useful, and most importantly, continue to open up the unending vista of that pathway to the heart, MUSIC.

Keep the spirit, chicaquerida!

• antikitschychick says:

A gazillion thanks for that great book recommendation Camille! I went ahead and ordered it via Amazon (along with Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk w Eva-Maria Westbroek which I’ve been wanting to see since foreverrrr).

Also, prometo que I shall make a very conscientious effort to NEVER AGAIN conflate my bialys, biatches and BYOTCHES w each other :-D

• Porgy Amor says:

Was it you, antikitschychick, to whom I was talking up that Netherlands Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk here a while back? Hope you love it as much as I do. Sometimes it all comes together — great stage direction, great singing and acting, great conducting and playing — and one feels really lucky to be there for it, whether it’s a live performance, a DVD, a streaming broadcast, whatever. This was one of those for me.

• antikitschychick says:

Hey Porgy :-)

I’m not sure if it was you but it came highly recommended so I decided to buy it…if it was indeed you then muchas thanks…I shall let you know what I think upon viewing it.

• alejandro says:

That Jamie Barton video made my day.

• No Expert says:

Looks like I’ll be spending the weekend with Karen instead of Anna. I hope my back yard doesn’t look like that graphic on Sunday.