• antikitschychick: goodness what a harsh review! Poor Joseph Calleja is reduced to a Teddy Bear…and... 12:35 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: If it is 1914, then that small (and lovely) area on the Adriatic coast that is now Slovenian... 12:26 AM
  • zinka: http://www.handelm ania.com/mad.htm There is probably ONE PERSON here who knows if I have posted this... 10:42 PM
  • Camille: I seriously doubt it, as how many recordings would there be of this bewitching piece? What a... 10:42 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=9XXC Snqse54 I have this and the quartet on video..GREAT MAN!!!! It... 10:29 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Just saw the new highly erotic Warlikowski production of Don Giovanni from La Monnaie. I... 10:28 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=rAgs kmPiRWkv Bianca Berini really was UP with the best..Dec.20,19... 10:24 PM
  • Camille: Grand merci! Sabine Devieilhe first came to my attention earlier in the year, while listening to a... 10:08 PM
  • Camille: Thanks for having posted. It has always been my favourite section of that film and the one readily... 9:45 PM
  • Camille: Brava! Very funny “Morrò, ma prima in grazia”̷ 0;ecc .! And about the windmill... 9:39 PM

“If the headline is big enough, it makes the news big enough”

For those of you who might have overlooked the fact that James Levine is conducting tomorrow night at the Met, the New York Times will get you up to speed this morning with no fewer than four (4) features on the return of “somebody who may be the greatest opera conductor in history.”

VIDEO FEATURE: James Levine at the Metropolitan Opera

Behind the Scenes With James Levine, in Full Preseason Swing

Met’s Maestro Heading Back to His Podium

VIDEO FEATURE: ‘Così Fan Tutte’ at the Met

• semira mide says:

Considering all the bad news we usually wake up to, this is really a morale boost, even if it isn’t really news!

• Jamie01 says:

Regardless of your opinion on the Met’s artistic choices under Gelb, you have to admit the man knows how to play the hype game.

I put it on the wrong thread, dammit:

Hope the popemobile is working for him!

• Todd says:

Given both the hype as well as Americans’ general admiration for Levine I was surprised to see that, as of one minute ago, there are still a lot of seats available for tonight’s performance.

I’m not a huge Levine fan--I don’t think I’ve ever once heard something new or revelatory under his baton--but genuinely wish him well. Yet even the steamroller of the Met publicity department and the NYTimes as enthusiastic lackey can’t get people to buy tickets.

• Grane says:

Didn’t they just do this production very recently? And is it kosher to call it a revival if the original was only a year or two ago? Sounds more like a rerun to me.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

What’s the difference between a revival and a rerun, in your head?

• Grane says:

Seems like a “revival” should allow enough time to go by that we didn’t feel we’d just seen it.

• Todd says:

Christie conducted a few years ago (at least a year before Enchanted Island); I could be wrong but don’t recall their doing Cosi in the meantime. I want to say that it was mainly the Salzburg/Guth cast, though with Breslik.

At the performance I attended, which I think was the first of that year’s run, there was a fascinating disconnect between stage and pit. Tommasini blamed Christie but as far as I could tell the singers simply weren’t looking his direction. It was as if they’d never gotten the memo that Christie’s tempi might not be what they were used to, and the performance itself didn’t seem to bring them any closer to that realization.

• World’s greatest opera conductor? They finally finished the clone of Hans Knappertsbusch? (Franz Knappertsbusch!)

• operaassport says:

Knappertsbusch? A reputation built on the conducting of 1 opera doesn’t even get you into the conversation.

• operaassport says:

Are they really still keeping up with the fiction that he “resigned” from the BSO job?

• havfruen says:

Who is “they” and why is it “fiction” that he resigned from his BSO appointment? Just curious.

• operaassport says:

The writer of the article is the “they” and it’s “fiction” because he was essentially fired. When your employer tells you that your employment situation is untenable and if it doesn’t change you have to go, that’s not resigning, that’s being shown the door. And that’s what happened.