• Quanto Painy Fakor: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=OlfY c4Ee3T8 10:05 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: It’s good enough for me. Do I need to cover my face to make it better? 10:01 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: I’m sure that country is devastated to hear that. 9:57 PM
  • m. croche: Racist ? Don’t make me laugh. Ok… The veil is not only a very primitive expression, Well... 9:42 PM
  • antikitschychick: Happy Birthday Batty! :-) xoxo. 9:23 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Why I am overwhelmed. Thank you all. Luckily none of you can see how unappealing I look when I... 8:46 PM
  • Lurker_del_Cairo: Oh, and PS – thank you Jungfer Marianne for the recording and Manou for the libretto! 8:13 PM
  • Ruxxy: Dear Armer if you live in the USA you live in a country which preaches human rights while allowing any... 7:38 PM
  • armerjacquino: I think a country which tells people what they are or aren’t allowed to wear, for any... 7:31 PM
  • Ruxxy: Racist ? Don’t make me laugh. The veil is not only a very primitive expression, it insults every... 7:17 PM

Lèse majesté

Dame Gwyneth Jones is fighting an attempt to oust her as president of the Wagner Society, a position she has held for 23 years. An exciting story, but the best bit is the comment: “Whew! that was close—you nearly managed to write an article on Wagner without mentioning Hitler!” [The Telegraph]

• StageLefty says:

I was lucky to be working backstage on a prodn of FROSCH in which she sang Dyers Wife. I was watching Act III from the wings, made room for her when, over my shoulder, I saw her approaching, and she stopped and stood there for a minute, with her dresser, towel draped across her shoulders. This was before I knew the piece -- I figured she was about to enter… Turns out she was. Just vocally. Full bore. 48 inches from my ears.

BAAAAAAAAAAA-RRAAAAAAAAAAAK.

My teeth stopped rattling about 2 months later.

• tiger1dk says:

I just saw Quartet (which, IMHO, starts quite horribly but becomes quite sweet and interesting once Maggie Smith enters). Near the end Dame Gwyneth Jones sings Vissi d’arte. Does anybody know if that was recorded just now for the film? It sounds quite good, I think.
      I wondered, btw, why in the credits she is listed as “Dame Gwyneth Jones” but Dame Maggie Smith only as “Maggie Smith” -- anybody knows?

Individual choice, I should think. Maggie Smith never uses her damehood on credits, posters, programmes etc.

• Ravenswood says:

Yes. The credits (which I read from another website) for the music performances in the film also list Adrian Muller, Dame Gwyneth’s present husband, as the pianist in that recording of ‘Vissi d’arte’.

• la vociaccia says:

That is a GREAT story.

• mjmacmtenor says:

I saw/heard her as the Dyer’s wife with LA Opera in the early 90s. 2 things stood out. The vibrato that I found sometimes intrusive on her videos was a “non issue” hearing her live in the house. Also, at one point she dropped to some low note in full chest voice (she started her career as a contralto). I felt like I was run over by a truck (in a good way). The only think I ever heard comparable was the Russian dramatic tenor Vladamir Atlantov. Some things can only be experienced and appreciate live.

• danpatter says:

Though I heard Birgit Nilsson (and other prodigious sopranos as well), it was Gwyneth Jones who sang the loudest high note I ever heard, the high C in “Laggiu nel Soledad” (FANCIULLA) in Los Angeles. Incomparably thrilling performer, and easily the best Brunnhilde since Nilsson.

• mjmacmtenor says:

She could also be wonderfully lyrical. Her Rosenkavalier film is one of my faves. I also recall a filmed Tannhauser where she sang both Elsabeth and Venus. The Venus costume was not much more than a body stocking, and she was a knock our!

• danpatter says:

I love Jones’ Marschallin, and thanks for the heads-up on the Bayreuth Tannhauser. I did not know about it and have ordered it.

• Ravenswood says:

Here’s the link to a fuller report on the controversy at the London Wagner Society:

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Not so much a fuller report, as the same report accompanied with a bit of conjecture, speculation and reflection.

• Niel Rishoi says:

This is the role I would have liked to see/hear Dame Gwyneth in person:

I imagine I would have gone home with a headache -- the best kind!

• Ravenswood says:

There really should be a commercially-available DVD documenting her awesome Elektra.

• damekenneth says:

Not to mention her Turandot! It’s such a pity that the ROH has not released a dvd of their wonderful Serban production with Jones from 1984 (filmed, I believe, in ’85).

• Niel Rishoi says:

I saw clips of this on YOuTube -- dame Gwyneth is in GREAT voice here

• Ravenswood says:

Yes, indeed! For Elektra, there’s at least an audio commercial recording available from the Swiss label Claves, but we got nothing as regards Dame Gwyneth’s fabulous Turandot. Shouldn’t there be some proper documentation of this major assumption for posterity’s sake? As has been suggested, the Serban production should’ve been released on video, but I suppose record executives nowadays are more mindful of video quality than artistic standards…

• Niel Rishoi says:

Yes, Ravenswood -- a lot of us have been waiting for years for this to be put out onto DVD.