• Guestoria Unpopularenka: Ma anch’io ero una volta ammirabile e bellissima. Adesso sono solo ammirabile. 12:21 AM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Where do you see videos of it? I only saw the cabaletta. 12:18 AM
  • Gualtier M: Marianne, the “Adriana Lecouvreur” production was an old production designed by... 12:12 AM
  • Camille: Yes, she was. Look at that Trovatore from Scala with Muti et al (including a still spry Nucci)... 12:07 AM
  • laddie: Just watching the videos from I puritani of Ms. P.: Interesting the Qui la voce is beautifully sung... 12:01 AM
  • johns33: The Met never has any cute t shirts! Dull! I once bought a tshirt at the flagstaff AZ ring: on the... 12:00 AM
  • laddie: new and interesting – offers more features than MOD including live streaming: http://www.sta... 11:38 PM
  • Sempre liberal: I recall going to Philadelphia Orchestra concerts in the early 90s for $3 and (horrors) $4 a... 11:38 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: And that facility or service fee they slap is disgusting. 11:38 PM
  • laddie: …ROTFS… ; really wanted another of …. http://screencast. com/t/xDMwrVwQ0gw 11:33 PM

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Richard Wagner!

That most profound and controversial of all operatic composers was born 200 years ago today.

In celebration of the natal day, WKCR is broadcasting a Wagner marathon, all the operas from Rienzi to Parsifal, over the next two days.

La Cieca expects the cher public will assist in the festivities by sharing favorite YouTube clips of Wagnerian brilliance.

• La Valkyrietta says:

Helen starts at 1.40.

La Vally dear—do you have the DVD of this movie? There are a couple outakes in the extras, two more songs with Mme. Traubel. She is so wonderful in this, as is that brilliant man, José Ferrer.

Also included is William Olvis, my long ago shirttail relation, singing the gayest possible “Overhead the moon is beaming”, complete with an army of chorus boys.

I met Mr. Olvis as a two year old, while visiting relatives in California, and upon meeting him, he slung me up over his shoulders and walked around singing his head off in my great aunt and uncle’s home. It was not to be the last I was terrorized by a tenor, but certainly, it was the FIRST!

Another song, “Auf Wiedersehen”, as sung by Helen Traubel in the Sigmund Romberg biopic Deep in my Heart.

Here it is. Sorry.

• La Valkyrietta says:

Camille,

I don’t have the DVD of this movie. They show the movie now and then on TV. In a closet somewhere must be the vinyl long play record I got sometime in the 50s.

Funny story about being terrorized by your distant relation Mr. Olvis. It could have been worse, he could have started an impersonation of Ann Miller in “It” and started tap dancing. :)

• pobrediablo says:

Die Walkure flashmob (professional)

• La Valkyrietta says:

pobrediablo,

I wish my visits to the supermarket were as musical :) .

• La Valkyrietta says:

Divine, divine, divine.

• La Valkyrietta says:

In the 200th Wagner birthday, there has been lots of talk of Nazis, the Holocaust and all that. Even some Wagner opera productions with those themes. Wagner died in 1883, as everyone knows. I don’t think Wagner would have been pleased with any of those events at all, rather horrified. He would have been pleased, though, with the actions of two Wagnerian singers. They were selling war bonds in 1945, and I must stress, on the side of the allies.