• ML: Wise ass. That was not my point. 2:02 AM
  • Poison Ivy: I’ve never thought of DG as playing out in real time, the way Who’s Afraid of... 1:56 AM
  • La Cieca: Well, to be sure, Donna Anna cannot properly marry while she is mourning her father, which means... 1:16 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Heres a pretty long review of the ROH DVD: http://operajourna l.blogspot.co.uk/2 014/09/mozart-... 1:11 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Well the thing is you (and I) might find the sextet unbearable/hypocri tical/preachy, but the... 12:59 AM
  • La Cieca: A theater that is doing the Prague edition of Don Giovanni. 12:52 AM
  • ML: What kind of house omits Mi tradì? 12:44 AM
  • ML: If you heard his Gurnemanz, you would know he is ready for Sachs — a role that benefits from the... 12:37 AM
  • Bill: Mrs. JC – what is wrong with having a weakness for Mara Zampieri? – she is the last great... 12:26 AM
  • Avantialouie: The only way I can make sense of “Don Giovanni” at ALL is for Don Giovanni to be... 12:15 AM

Final immolation update

The score in the Immolation Quiz now stands tied at 23 all, with both leading entries identifying wrongly the same two segments of the quiz. The names of these singers associated with those two fragments, furthermore, have not been guessed by anyone playing the quiz.

So there you have it: figure out which are the two leading entries, which are the two slots both have guessed incorrectly, conjure up the names of the two mystery singers, and the copy of Wagner at the Met: Legendary Performances is yours for the taking.

Remember: Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:00 am ends the competition, so this is your last chance!

• k0000 says:

La Cieca notes that 1) the two current leading entries both wrongly identify the singers in the same two segments of the quiz, and that 2) the names of the singers associated with these fragments have not been identified by anyone who has contributed to this thread.

For those of you still in the game, here’s an alphabetized list of the singers who have been mentioned so far. La Cieca, will you confirm that the two mystery singers do not appear on this list?

Altmeyer, Jeannine
    Watson, Linda
    Wildbrunn, Helene
    Wilson, Jennifer
    Wray, Margaret Jane
    Yoes, Janice

• k0000 says:

I inadvertently omitted Christa Ludwig from the list I just posted.

• La Cieca says:

Read what I said more carefully. I said that the two missing names had not been “guessed,” that is, offered as a possible identification for a specific clip. (A lot of other names have been mentioned in the more general discussion, and I do not asset that the “missing” singers have never been mentioned by name in that discussion.)

UPDATE: I have just checked again, and neither of the two singers in question has been offered as an official guess, though their names may have been mentioned in the more general discussion.

• Hippolyte says:

Without combing through the other threads about this quiz, I will offer that I previously mentioned Kniplova at some point, and I’d be surprised if Dernesch wasn’t brought up somewhere, and given that Behrens is discussed “ad nauseum” on virtually every other topic, I suspect she should be on the list as well.

• stevey says:

Isn’t this fascinating??? I’m DYING to find out who the two mystery ladies are…. Oh, and am I wrong in thinking that BIG kudos are warranted for the magnificently comprehensive list o’ Brunnhildes above?? Pretty impressive, I’d say!

Accordingly, I’m going to hazard another guess (“guess”, of course, being the operative word here… ;-) ). Here goes:

1- Birgit Nilsson
    20- Kirsten Flagstad
    21- Anita Valkki
    22- Martha Modl
    23- Johanna Gadski
    24- Leonie Rysanek
    25- Matti Salminen

I was torn between Baird, Lisa Gasteen, and Luana DeVol for 10, and with Dvorakova, Gladys Kuchta, and Berit Lindholm for 16. Then I realized that vacillating wasn’t going to get me any further (perhaps further CONFUSED, but it doesn’t take much to do that…), so I’d better just find a reason for deciding on somebody (no matter how specious), PICK someone, and then go reward myself with a nice, big glass of wine (it’s got to be ‘wine o’clock’ somewhere… if not, then I can always fall back on ‘beer thirty’… ;-) )

Best wishes to you all!! :-)

• k0000 says:

As you’ll see from Hippolyte’s post, my list isn’t in fact comprehensive (I inadvertently omitted Dernesch and Behrens). And despite the list’s length, there are still a number of singers who recorded some or all of the scene who aren’t on the list because no one mentioned them.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Returned to the Siegfried tonight at the Met, after finishing the Ring cycle last week. I was curious enough about the new cast that I braved the possibility of sitting through Voigt’s Brünnhilde. Well, if there’s a role that might be the least offensive as far as she is concerned right now, this might be it since it sits very high and her top register is the least compromised of her tattered voice. Unfortunately even her top notes are thinning out a lot… Fortunately, it’s also the shortest of the Brünnhildes…

Cleveman made a very successful debut in the title role. It’s a somewhat lightweight and more lyrical voice than we might be used to — not as dark, barytonal as many Siegfrieds, nor endowed with a lot of metal or heft. I liked him a lot, he projected well, and only ran out of steam a little bit towards the end.

Loved Richard Paul Fink’s powerhouse Alberich and Brubaker’s Mime. I’ve been very lucky with Mimes. My first was Brubaker in 2009, when he outsang the Siegfried; then Siegel last week. Like Siegel, Brubaker is a wonderful character tenor but also sings some heldentenor roles. They both produce very even, well-supported and substantial voices. Siegel’s tone is much brighter though.

Fink’s Alberich was sonorous and incisive, in contrast with Owens’, which can be grainier and mushier in tone. König was very solid again as Fafner. The audience liked Grimsley’s Wotan more than I did, but he was certainly more sonorous than Delavan. It’s a somewhat distinct voice, but there’s a buzz to it that is not always attractive.

What a glorious and beautiful score. That’s the main reason I went back tonight. Unfort. it ended more with a whimper than a bang. “Ewig war ich” is just glorious, glorious music, but it was marred by Cleveman getting tired by then (who can blame him?) and Voigt’s Grannyhilde… No matter, it was a very good evening at the Met.

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Well in that case I’m definitely guessing Veronica Villaroel now.

• Etienne F. says:

One more go then. Still clueless about #10 and #16.

1. Birgit Nilsson

4. Violeta Urmana
    5. Gwyneth Jones
    6. Edda Moser
    7. Marjorie Lawrence
    8. Gertrud Grob-Prandl
    9. Helen Traubel
    10. Berit Lindholm (London 1976?)
    11. Marilyn Horne
    12. Germaine Lubin
    13. Montserrat Caballe
    14. Frida Leider
    15. Margaret Harshaw
    16. Amy Shuard (Covent Garden 1965)
    17. Eileen Farrell