• lastregamarzapane: Janis Martin was also great as the Witch in Hansel and Gretel back in 1988(with Blegen and... 1:57 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Another review from last night: http://www.gbopera .it/2014/12/new-yo rk-metropolitan... 12:38 AM
  • Orion: Act II “Nuit divine…” http://www.youtube .com/attribution_l ink?a=c_WJx-wnvq8& amp;u=%2Fwatch%... 12:01 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Here’s Marina Rebeka in Tell: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=x8cv LMhnnEU 11:58 PM
  • Orion: Last Tuesday in MADRID, a dream-trio was on the stage of the Teatro Real to sing « Romeo et Juliette... 11:56 PM
  • Porgy Amor: One of my favorite moments in the Carsen is when Alfredo throws the money at Violetta. We are... 10:46 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=j-tW EKDYdvI OK..CONFESS!!!! Which queen on Parterre is this? She... 10:39 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I too love the Carsen production. I feel like it’s more emotionally engaging than the... 10:18 PM
  • alejandro: ^Haven’t seen that. 9:40 PM
  • Porgy Amor: Interesting, Will; I think that the view of him as cold is not entirely supported either. Once he... 9:24 PM

Red letter day

“Her letter scene was glorious, and her final meeting with Onegin beguiling. Netrebko leaves nothing to be desired vocally and is a consummate artist as well. She has joined the list of the greatest interpreters of this role and is a gift to the world of opera.” That’s what Der Kurier had to say about Anna Netrebko‘s role debut as Tatyana last Friday night, and now you, cher public, can get a sense of what all the fuss was about.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to the full clip (I’ve not even had a chance to listen to the Immolation quiz!) but I have to pipe in that Netrebko looks simply smashing in that photo.

• aulus agerius says:

Well I see she’s starting to wear those sleeves that performers of a certain age incline to, so I guess gravity is beginning to take its toll.

• marshiemarkII says:

Not so aulus!!!!! categorically not so. I saw her in person for about 5 seconds, backstage as she was leaving with Bezcala, whom she had gone to visit, after the premiere of Rigoletto. She is more gorgeous than anything you can imagine, because her skin is so fresh and gorgeous!, and she has this shy look that makes her look even more alluring, because it’s as if she doesn’t know the effect she can cause on people…..
      She is also perfectly slim for her size, not anorexic slim as she was for the Traviata, but perfect for all intents and purposes. She can make a lifelong homo turn straight :-)

• marshiemarkII says:

Now why didn’t Angela Meade use one of those sleeves for the Norma at Caramoor, is totally beyond me! Those pictures in the NY Times were…. oh well I’ll keep it to himself, lest I am jumped on by the PC police….

It’s good to know she would take the trouble to see Beczala as I do look forward to more of their outings together, so well matched as they are.

Marschie, if you flip for Anna, you’ll have to get in a long, long line, you know.

Now what were you saying about sleeves at Caramoor?

• marshiemarkII says:

CammiB, not only she went backstage, but she was completely ALLEIN weh ganz allein! we were standing by the green room door with some cast poeple, and as you know the hall is very narrow, and she had to snake her way through the several of us, who were kind of blocking the way, completely unprepossessing, and without even a hint of divism! Only when she had passed, we all looked at each other, and WOW it was SHE herself!!!!!!!! she was wearing a gorgeous body-hugging gray silk dress with a sort of 60s pattern. After she and Piotr were leaving, I was introduced, and MMII for once was completely speechless, and felt that the backbone had just been removed by a magic hand. I so wanted to tell her how much the greatest Behrens worshiped her (“whenever she appears on TV, I drop everything I am doing and just have to watch her”) but all I could say was the customary “you are wonderful in everything you do” oh so cliched and unimaginative!

CammiB you are a provocateur! why do you want me to say what I really feel about those pictures from Caramoor :-) , do you remember those hams hanging out of that dress? By God!, girlfriend should never EVER wear a sleeveless dress, dontcha think?

Marschie!
          that was a real lost opportunity as she would have undoubtably been very touched and happy to have heard that an artist such as HB would go to the trouble of stopping everything to listen to her — I mean, she has heard the ‘wonderful’ stuff countless times now. Knowing an artist on a high level had such a consideration of her would have been giving her a real ‘gift’ --(not in the German sense, mind you!).

I think you should sit yourself down to write a letter, NOT to Mr. Gable, but to Anna N. , and let her know just that. You could politely and decorously include compliments on your own. The important thing would be for her to know that someone who had walked the walk, so to speak, had such an opinion. Don’t you think she may have her dark mome ts at times, as we all do? Did ‘t Hildegard cherish the good opinion of Unser Heilige Leonie and take strength from that?

You know what I mean, I am sure and will shut up now as I hear NN’s cackles of laughter in the wings.

Denken Sie an!

Camelbells

• marshiemarkII says:

Oh CammiB, the letter is a wonderful idea but I prefer in person. There will be other chances in future I hope. I was invited to a dinner party at the Sherry Netherland a couple of years ago, and she was supposed to be there, along with a couple of other Met people, she didn’t show up, and the other Met people were the Hexe Zambello, and the other Hexe (don’t want to offend carisssimo Batty). Disappointing evening!
            But the hostess is a very good friend of Anna, so one day there will be another party, and hopefully MMII will still be in the good graces, and get her chance!

No, the word you seek is provacatrice!

• luvtennis says:

Aulus? Really, what’s your excuse for being an anonymous asshole. Gravity? Or Advanced AGE?

Please turn your keen powers of observation on yourself. But remember, you have to post a recent, non-photoshopped picture of yourself so we can see how accurate your assessment is.

Loser.

R A P E !!!!! Poised like a dart does NOT mean pick up a prop and point it at the mezzo! And so much for ‘he beats out the candle’ What a crappy staging.

• Donna Anna says:

Gawd, I love this opera and AN’s embodiment of this role makes up for the lifeless orchestral reading. Here’s Der Standard’s review:

• DurfortDM says:

Ugh! Cringe!

…thoughT and thrOW…

In any case, point very well taken, MMII! I’ll generally stick to my Latour analogy (though not really sure its especially apposite for Trebs or fair to Trebs: she’s much livelier and less moody -- in that negative Latour way -- though the richness might fit nicely. ;-) .)

DurfortDM,

For me Netrebko is a Burgundy. Definitely not a Bordeaux. Now Monastyrska, who was mentioned somewhere above, is more like a Bordeaux: less rich and full-bodied, but with more of a bouquet.

Both intoxicating.

• peter says:

If she were a white wine, she’d be a Meursault.

No way could she be a white wine! Gheorghiu, yes. Probably an Yquem.

• peter says:

Yes, Nebs is more a red wine than a white wine but if she were a white, it would have the richness of a Meurseault or a Puligny Montrachet.

Now, Angela is definitely not a white wine. She’d be more of a Beaujolais.

Beaujolais is a wine that’s not very subtle or elaborate, and that one generally drinks pretty young. Whatever one can say about Ange’s singing, unsubtle and uncomplicated ain’t it.
            Yquem is a perfumed, flavorful wine that’s sweet without really being sweet. It’s actually full-bodied and light at the same time, like her voice.

• peter says:

Back to the cellar Oedipe! Angela’s voice may be more complex than a Beaujolais but it’s hardly full bodied. Perhaps a Pinot Noir.

Peter, a Pinot Noir is a generic name for a type of grape. There is nothing generic about Ange’s voice, it’s a voice that’s distinctive in a million.

• Batty Masetto says:

Oedipe, speaking from the heart of Pinot Noir country, I can tell you that some extremely good California wines are indeed called “pinot noir,” usually plus a local appellation.

• peter says:

OK, Oedipe. A Chambertin. No more discussion :-)

I know that, Batty. But just calling a wine “a Pinot Noir” WITHOUT an appellation makes it generic. Because Pinot Noir is just a cépage, as you well know.

At any rate, here’s an idea: why don’t we each uncork a bottle of a favorite wine and drink to each other’s health?

• DurfortDM says:

Angela’s voice not rich enough for Yquem or any of the better Sauternes.

Certainly not Chambertin. The voice is too rich and distinctive for the crappy stuff and really good Chambertin is much more appropriately analogized to to a high quality bass-baritone.

• marshiemarkII says:

And if the white wine were “creamy” she would remind you of……

Bravo Durfort for your commitment to the gym also, that’s the only way to keep that unsightly avoirdupois off!

• marshiemarkII says:

Oedipe Caro, but a “creamy” white wine, certainly, no? :-) :-) :-)

Well, the Loire Valley wines are “creamy”. They are sweet wines, and the top quality ones have a lot of bouquet. What these wines are missing and Anna has in spades is heartiness. Red Burgundies are hearty.
          Calleja is probably a Loire Valley white.

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

oedipe, I cannot agree that Loire Valley wines are “creamy”, nor are they always sweet; it is the home of Sauvignon Blanc (Sancerre, Pouilly-Fumé) after all. In viticultural terms, the Loire has a marginal climate; precious little dry white wine from there could be termed “creamy” -- in the sense of a full-bodied wine. Perhaps some of the better-made Sauvignons might need food, but by and large they’re easy gluggers, especially the local Chenin Blanc when vinified dry. There are some glorious stickies: I have some Huet Cuvée Constance 1997 [AOC Vouvray, made from Chenin Blanc and vinified sweet] in half-bottles which I have sampled ere now and hope to continue to enjoy for quite some time to come, especially when Dialogues is on the radio.

For me, Anna Netrebko is a Montrachet: absolutely top-notch, even a novice “gets” it while the experts will rave until the cows come home. [As for what they'll do whenever the cows come home, we can discuss again]. Joseph Calleja brings to mind a favourite come-hither red: the operatically-named Tancredi from Donnafugata, a powerful Sicilian Cabernet-Nero d’Avola blend. If you insist on comparing him with a white, perhaps he’s another Italian, Antinori’s Cervaro Della Sala -- a blend that nobody dreamt of before and that works an absolute treat.

Durfort, given that there’s an elegant, “feminine” AC Margaux by the name of Ch. Durfort-Vivens, who do you feel fits the bill -- Gheorghiu, maybe?

You are quite right, Baltsamic, that was a gross oversimplification on my part of the wide variety of Loire Valley wines. Mea culpa! I was looking for a “creamy” white (which I interpreted as rich and sweet) and I didn’t want to pick a Sauterne; and I was in a hurry.

Netrebko as a Montrachet is an excellent idea. The other possibility I was toying with was a Charmes Chambertin.

If everybody insists on a red for Gheorghiu, I would suggest Château Margaux: sophisticated and flavorful, but not hearty. A white wine that would go with her voice would need to have panache (that’s what I mean by “full”), smoothness, and a subtle sweetness; thus, the Yquem connection. A Vouvray maybe?

Calleja’s voice has a distinctive bouquet, it has body (and legs) and lots of sweetness, but no edge. I therefore thought of a heady white wine, a Sauterne or a Riesling Auslese. I don’t see him as a full-bodied red wine.

Alagna, on the other hand, is definitely a red Bordeaux. Probably a Co d’Estournel: spicy and corsé, with a distinctive edge.

I also very much like the idea of Chambertin being a bass-baritone.

We could go on and on…

• Buster says:

Liebfraumilch = Eva Lind.

• Nerva Nelli says:

Gail V. Gilmore = Night Train

Victoria Livengood = Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill

• DurfortDM says:

Meursault … maybe a Riesling. Really depends on vintage and producer. I suppose, maybe a Sancerre a particularly luscious one might do.