• Sanford: Bonisolli isn’t too shabby, either. 11:02 AM
  • PCally: I too had never heard a single recordings of hers, even that first otello telecast with Domingo. I really enjoying her lovely... 10:55 AM
  • Sanford: I must say that I wasn’t familiar with Ms. Cruz-Romo’s voice before listening to this but I’m in love.... 10:33 AM
  • PCally: Well as I said in feel Grahame rose to the occasion until the final scene. Up until then I thought she tended to fade into the... 10:25 AM
  • olliedawg: marshiemarkII, You and me both. MartinW was simply amazing, sang his part as if he were born doing so, incredible diction,... 8:24 AM
  • PCally: *Tristan, the ring, and parsifal in terms of wagner love, but it’s still one of my all time favorites. 7:44 AM
  • PCally: Porgy, I don’t think Meistersinger is lesser Wagner, in fact I said that the best of it ranks as the finest music wagner... 7:43 AM
  • williams: …oops sorry mercadante. 7:14 AM

And now a word…

Cher public, La Cieca is delighted to introduce to you our sponsors for the month of February. Please extend your thanks to Carnegie Hall, Gotham Chamber Opera and The New York City Opera for their support of by visiting their websites and sampling their wares!

Organizations wishing to reach the astute readership of are invited to peruse our advertising information.

Isn’t Eliogabalus one of the operas the marvelous Mr. DeCaffarrelli reviewed a few months ago, the one by Cavalli? That does look mighty interesting.

Oh god, I remember that issue of parterre box and still have it.
    Tempus fugit.

• Will says:

Considering all the abuse that NYCO has had thrown at it on this site, I think it very generous of the company to be one of the sponsors of the month. Welcome to a beleaguered company, betrayed and plundered by those who should have been its leaders and protectors, that’s fighting the good fight to survive.

• pavel says:

Who is that in the photo on Gotham’s site? If he’s a real singer, then we’ve reached new heights of shirtless-worthiness.

• Nerva Nelli says:

I assume that’s a model, but Christopher Ainslie, in the Cavalli cast, is a counterhunkentenor:

Sang and acted quite well, to, in AMADIGI in Central City.

• damekenneth says:

I was at a recent benefit evening for Gotham Opera. In addition to a private screening of the movie Quartet, which was worth it only really for the presence (and too little of it) of my beloved Dame Gwyneth, they presented a few brief excerpts from Eliogabalo sung by Christopher Ainslie and one of the sopranos from the cast. Mr. Ainslie was comely of both voice and visage, cuts an elegant stage figure, and delivered a very finished product of an interpretation in his brief scenes. Lovely voice, with just a tad of strain on top, excellent Italian language sense and ability to make alive that style of music which, like Monteverdi, is rather heavy in recitative and arioso style melody. I was extremely impressed with him. His casting in this is a real coup for Gotham. (The soprano, by contrast, was kind of a “why” singer. As in “why bother?”)

• Ilka Saro says:

It’s interesting the way countertenors are becoming the sexiest guys on the stage. Harkening back to the mythic charms of “i musici”.

• la vociaccia says:

OT, but I just found this video of Monastyrska singing Santo Di Patria

Also OT, but Jessye doesn’t seem to know her Donizetti from her Verdi (listen at about 7’00″) I know neither was ever really her rep, but …

Whoops! And I think she refers to the sextet as the septet. Still, it’s a great interview — thanks for sharing. I prefer this interview to the interview portions of the film made about her a few years ago. Too bad about the editing that repeats a few sections.

I must watch the whole interview. The first section was very interesting -- but that blooper did stop me in my tracks.

• Speaking of bloopers, the City Opera is presenting ‘The Turn of the Screw’ by that well-known composer Benjamin Bitten.

I wonder what this woman sounds like without the electronic enhancements

Kathy Gifford does Nabucco!
    When not out with Woz or entertaining the masses:

• Ilka Saro says:

I am puzzled by the grotesque image that was used in Gotham Opera’s publicity for Eliogabalo. It is still the weblink banner image, and I got a postcard advertising the show with this same ugly picture of a sort of cretinous ogre with bad teeth. I suppose I am supposed to look at this and think “hmm, erotic depravity” or something. But I don’t. Seems like a misfire. The image seems to have been removed from their website. Hmm.

• m. p. arazza says:

It’s the prices that I find more off-putting…

Standing Room w/ Stage View $50.00

Video Lounge Standing NO STAGE VIEW $30.00

Next thing you know the Met will be selling tickets to view the opera on the TV screen in List Hall.

Don’t give them any ideas. Or watching the TV monitor by the Box Office!

• Jamie01 says:

Those prices are rather steep. Is there also a two drink minimum?

• brooklynpunk says:

Gotham Opera prices have been the ONLY reason that I have NEVER gotten to see this Company, in works that I was otherwise very eager to hear/see

VERY VERY EXPENSIVE..for the size of the House…