• kashania: :) 1:33 PM
  • armerjacquino: Janowitz has a CALM INTENSITY, dammit. 1:32 PM
  • Krunoslav: But armer, the rhetorical strategies people here advance for making the faults of their Supreme... 1:27 PM
  • armerjacquino: Hmmm. Well, maybe I’ll let you off because it’s Christmas, but I still think... 1:10 PM
  • antikitschychick: Yes I know it doesn’t strictly mean maternal armer. It’s kind of a negative... 12:47 PM
  • turings: You probably have seen this already, zinka, but the premiere of the new Vienna Rigoletto with... 12:23 PM
  • MontyNostry: That you for that Meta-data, zinka (not unconnected with Croatia yourself …) 12:07 PM
  • zinka: I was introduced to Meta yrs.ago..FABULOUS. .Died so young (33.) This is one of the values of the... 11:02 AM
  • zinka: Piotr is my favorite tenor (Giordani says,”I know..but I love him too.” I love Calleja... 10:57 AM
  • LittleMasterMiles: My mother played percussion in the pickup orchestra for that Astrodome concert. 9:37 AM

The wanton doyenne

La Cieca (right) invites all of you to spend this intermission in a constructive way: not rioting for Italian independence, but discussing off-topic and general interest subjects, as people do.

• zinka says:

From Opera-L

Here is an approximate translation of the German by Google translate.

Piotr Beczala: “There is for me a black list of directors’

Ljubisa Tosic 19, December 2012, 19:18

The Polish tenor singing with a cold, Linzer experiences and directors

Vienna -- Piotr Beczala’s in the mood. The Pre-Christmas right merrily, the
    tenor would be after the State Opera Bohème at the Christmas in Vienna
    concert (“Quite a serious, serious thing to rehearse”). The mood in no way
    detrimental is the fact that the man from the Polish Czechowice-Dziedzice
    (born in 1966) has just signed with Universal Multi-CD an exclusive contract.

However, the conversation turns to the chapter opera direction, it is somehow
    uncomfortable. Since Beczala knows, suddenly slightly dark, no mercy: “For
    me, these people are really crazy and try to reinvent the new opera, nothing
    is lost in this genre I’m sorry -- I’m quite hard for the director asserts.! that he
    was a creative force, he is out for me. thank God there are people who know
    about music, and opera can of course be re-told. But the core has to be
    there. we are all artists, the creative is the composer! ”

Interpret something new was “a lot harder than it virtually reinventing. I can
    do that, think of what some people do in a half hour using a half bottle of red
    wine. A correct interpretation, however, is difficult.” Yes, Beczala has rejected
    many offers to this effect. “There is for me a black list of conductors and
    directors with whom I would not work.” With some of them, “I have worked
    Others are on the list because they have a great reputation -… In certain
    circles I will not mention any names”

Is foreseeable that with this stance he will never sing in Bayreuth, Beczala will
    then leave it be not. “This is your statement, I can not confirm that. But I can
    not confirm that I will be singing there. Who knows I probably will not sing
    Lohengrin sitting on a crocodile. I have no problem with Lohengrin, when I
    have a Swan get. A real. ” Beczala can afford such rigorous positions. As a
    tenor with a twist in the high notes he has arrived to right at the top. He has -
    by his definition -- climbed the third step of the career ladder.

The tenor at the Linzer opera house

Beczala: “The first stage -- this is the house tenor who does everything I was
    in Linz, where I sang in a season eight premieres and 120 performances in the
    first season that was very dangerous, and we have in this situation.. two
    possibilities: One is stronger, or you sink. ” At that time he had a teacher “who
    has accompanied me through this hard time. Virtually every weekend I was
    with him. A house tenor has no choice. You can discuss a bit, but whether it
    is heard is not safe. In addition: As a young Polish singer in Austria in 1992
    had not many options. ” Also with the work permit was complicated -- and the
    atmosphere is not particularly rosy:

“In the house you got to feel that one is from Poland and at any time could be
    rejected. From the third time I had to sing, however, pretty things, and I owe
    Conductor Martin Sieghart, who was then music director. That one of the
    Gage could afford anything is another matter. ” This will also be at the Zurich
    Opera House, where he then climbed “the second stage”, have become a little
    bit better.

“Stage Two means to be back ensemble member, but a member with a free
    walk for guest-After four years but I have said that I do not want -- I had
    gotten so many offers Then I got a guest contract -- I stayed.. because until
    two years ago. ” The lucky freelancers met his Zurich employers Alexander
    Pereira then in Salzburg, where he sang in La Bohème -- and this is actually
    sick, “From the health point of view I would not be allowed to sing the
    premiere, but it was all very close, there was no cover.. This had to take
    place. ” As a kind of reminder of the house tenor time. (Ljubisa Tosic, THE
    STANDARD, 12/20/2012)

One has to admire a singer of principal.

THAT”S MY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1919 bass Ernst Wiemann

Born on this day in 1924 baritone Giangiacomo Guelfi

Born on this day in 1928 tenor Bruno Prevedi

Happy 72nd birthday bass-baritone Domenico Trimarchi

Happy 68th birthday conductor Michael Tilson Thomas

Happy 66th birthday conductor Christopher Keene

Happy 59th birthday soprano Nadine Secunde

Happy 54th birthday tenor Thomas Randle

Jingle Bells got you down? Beat the Blues with the Bells and go back to Bach!

Turn to WKCR.org (89.9 FM NY). for their annual Bach Christmas Bash.
    Starting tomorrow night, Saturday, December 22nd at 9:00 p.m. It runs throughout the end of the year right up to midnight and January 1st! At that point you should be kissing someone other than Santa Claus, so your holiday blues should be over.

With best wishes for a Happy Holiday to the Par-Tyriens, all over the world.

Camille

• We spend our time traipsing through the Brooklyn Botanical Garden looking for a hurdy-gurdy man. No it’s not the Zodiac Killer, it’s Schubert’s Winterreise performed by baritone Christopher Dylan Herbert. Review on Superconductor

• zinka says:

OK..That’s it…I am joining the new NRA ( NO ROTTEN ARTISTS) and from now on, my compatriots and I (all escapees from Bellevue) will be able to “take care’ of Met staff members,singers,etc.) who have the following flaws:

1.Divas with no chest voice.

2, Tenors who sing baritone roles.

3. Tenors who do not sing high notes in act two Aida

4. Anyone who looks like Kurt Baum

5. Aida divas who could hide the pyramids behind them (They Sphinx!!)

6. Singers who need mikes (The new King in Aida and Mrs.Alagna..sorry,Roberto..you are adorable,but…..)

7. Stage Directors at their curtain calls for the first perf.of a new production, unless you can tell what opera it is.

8. Prompters who are louder than Birgit Nilsson. (Ever hear some tapes???)

That’s it!!!! Any more suggestions and/or possible normal new members..let us know.

9. Singers who never heard of Zinka Milanov

Carlo Corleone

• RosinaLeckermaul says:

I second Zinka’s NRA list! Brava!!

Talking of Zinka, I found this on YouTube the other day, from 1945. She really sounds magnificent here.

• zinka says:

BUT..as the Parterre supreme Kunc authority(No comment!!0 I adored her after she came back..The C was problematical but the gorgeousness of the voiced was for me radiant as compared to the 40′s,when the top was better….but there was a bit of vibrato I did not love then…but in the 88 (count them) times i saw her…most of the time it was heaven…

zinka, when did Zinka ‘come back’?

• Feldmarschallin says:

I believe she came back in the early 50′s after Bing started. She hadnt sung at the Met since about 45 or so. Perhaps a year or so earlier even. She went back to Europe with her husband and then must have layed low since I don’t think she sang in Wien during that time but in the 30′s. Early Milanov is always better IMO especially the things from the 30′s and 40′s.

Thank you, Feldmarschallin. As I said, that recording from 1945 really shows what all the fuss was about.

• rapt says:

Here’s the scoop on Milanov’s hiatus from the Met archives:

[Met Performance] CID:144390
            Aida {491}
            Boston, Massachusetts; 03/22/1947
            [Met Performance] CID:155730
            New productions
            Cavalleria Rusticana {342}
            Pagliacci {379}
            Metropolitan Opera House; 01/17/1951
            Debuts: Hans Busch, Horace Armistead, John Robert Lloyd, Max Leavitt

• zinka says:

Thank you so much..Maybe I AM a lgend in more than my own ass.

• zinka says:

FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not bad ladies…..

• Famous Quickly says:

I made my acclaimed Met debut opposite Warren replacing the *first* Zinka, whose musico-dramatic sensibilities bespoke the Austro-Hungarian deep provinces before the First World War. This younger (?) one seems as bibulous and sentimental as the hillbilly drunk opposite whom Roz Elias, Nicky Gedda, George Tozzi and I salvaged VANESSA. That was--of course--after I reworked my technique with Danise, enabling me to star as Carmen, Eboli and in all my RING roles at the Festwochen and for Sir David at the Garden and then come home to face… Marcellina.

Stop me if I’ve told you this before!

• zinka says:

May I wish all of you,and that includes Mara Zampieri’s grandma, a wonderful holiday season..You all make my life and the lives of others so happy….It is a pleasure to know you.

Love and happy Holidays