• papopera: when do they serve chop suey? 8:29 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I agree the second act was weaker, but I didn’t think it was so weak as to drag down the... 7:36 PM
  • Satisfied: We are all entitled to our opinions, but I thought the first act very promising (albeit flawed and... 7:23 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I saw Something Rotten! Wonderful show. http://poisonivywa lloftext.blogspot. com/2015/04/som... 6:45 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=r03i kE2Hl4E 6:17 PM
  • m. croche: “[Chairs are} a European thing” This is a joke, right? Chinese opera traditionally... 6:07 PM
  • Salome Where She Danced: I have never seen Jessye’s tear gutter so pronounced as on this intriguing... 5:19 PM
  • LT: His repertoire isn’t what I usually listen. That explains it. 4:05 PM
  • manou: Shame on you LT. He is absolutely superb. 4:00 PM
  • LT: Why they keep kissing her ass is beyond me. I had to google the male winner. Never heard of him. 3:55 PM

Even smiling makes my face ache

Call it brio, joie de vivre, zest, élan vital, perhaps Lebenslust. You might even call it “fun.” But no matter what you call it, that’s not the mood Renée Fleming was in when she dropped in for lunch with Muse at Bloomberg.

• Pelleas says:

Sally Field looks terrific.

• irontongue says:

I would like to see the attendance numbers that back up the interview’s contention that her efforts are having a great effect.

• phoenix says:

Uh -- what happened to Manuela von Hohenstaufen? Manuela was always much more fun to read than Zinta -- also quite often closer to the mark -- all that experience with Spontini, ya’ know.
    - But upon reflection -- considering the toploftiness of the interviewee -- they just couldn’t have booked anyone of the calibre of Manuela = who might have actually tried to get La Pretenciosa to say something interesting instead of dropping name after name after name … .

• MrGuy1804 says:

It was indeed quite pretentious of Renée Fleming to acknowledge that she met her current husband through Ann Pratchett. Who knew a world renowned opera singer would have acquired relatively famous friends. I suppose if she had said she met her husband Mr. Blank through a friend who is a writer-who-shall-not-be-named you would have taken no qualms with this with interview with-- wait, who was it again? La Pretenciosa?

Would that we all had your shrewd insight into the necessary social graces governing interviews. Though given your high standards it seems that almost all famous people are insufferable. Pity.

• Bosah says:

What name after name? She named the composer and lyricist of an opera she’s curating, as well as the author who wrote the book on which it’s based.

Is that your issue? That she dared to credit the writers who are responsible for an opera? I suppose you’re right. She should have neglected to mentioned them; I’m sure that would have gone over even better here.

I wish someone could explain to me that antipathy toward a woman out there working constantly to increase opera’s audiences. I don’t get it.

• MrGuy1804 says:

I completely agree with you. She’s simply the hated soprano du jour. If she had answered that her name was in fact Renée Fleming I’m sure someone would have found reason make her out to be an elitist, pretentious snob. Oh and she scoops a lot and isn’t a good Violetta.

The animosity toward any damn thing this woman does is beyond me.

• zinka says:

Could the Mayor hear her?

LOC is having, or just had a student performance of Don Pasquale, where the audience was permitted to eat popcorn in the theater !

• Clita del Toro says:

And Rennay is at the popcorn machine handing out the bags of popcorn and asking the kids if they want extra butter!