• ML: I’m jealous. Barenboim seems to be on an Elgar kick. I saw a new Elgar 2 from him on disc the other... 6:51 AM
  • Regina delle fate: We can’t escape it over here! But Barenboim and Rattle have been championing it in... 5:25 AM
  • ML: I’d love to hear Gerontius with anyone. It seems to be forgotten. 5:20 AM
  • Regina delle fate: To which you can add, Wozzeck, Lulu (three-act version), Betrothal in a Monastary, The... 5:18 AM
  • Regina delle fate: She is doing a song recital in Edinburgh – not at the Festival – on the back... 5:12 AM
  • ML: In any case, she is certainly now launched. I hope she comes to Europe and that the casting managers and... 3:15 AM
  • La Cieca: I think Ms. Barton is in a somewhat unusual situation here. She is neither a lyric mezzo-soprano... 2:37 AM
  • ML: There’s a “pro” version of Operabase that may be more complete. 2:26 AM
  • ML: M. Croche, on the subject of the casting of Norma, I’m convinced Adalgisa is the lighter, brighter... 2:23 AM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: “Favorably impressed” is just about right for that young tenor at this... 12:47 AM

You will, David, you will

La Cieca hears that parterre fave David Daniels will get all eponymous and stuff for a world premiere opera entitled Oscar, based on the life of Oscar Wilde, for Santa Fe Opera in 2013, with Opera Company of Philadelphia to follow.  The work is to boast music by Theodore Morrison and a libretto and stage direction by John Cox.

• Nerva Nelli says:

Actually, *this* is the role David will be playing in OSCAR:

• Joe Conda says:

During my Peabody student days, Morrison was head of the choral department and gave me two of the most enriching musical experiences of my life -- singing Purcell’s Aeneas and solos in Britten’s Cantata Misericordium. He is a brilliant musician and great intellect. I never knew he was a composer and wish him a great success.

• Buster says:

If this is a hit they could perhaps revive Dorian Gray, which had Philip Langridge in it, and Roberta Alexander as Sybil Vane.

With this title post I could not resist, sorry:

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Daniels is a fine musician, but who knew that Oscar Wilde sounds like a fairy?!!!

• zinka says:

The reason (well,one of them) that I am a mess today is when I was 8 my ma took me “innocently” to see “The Picture of Dorian Gray” and I got so scared..(The picture was in COLOR in a B/W film)…I had nightmares even worse than when I dreamt of making love to Kurt Baum…..
    Will they show a scene from the scary novel in the opera??If so, who will play the portrait….Is Albert Innaurato available????

• zinka says:

Looking at Parterre ad..and not wanting to help La Cieca lose money….Zinka, my all-time fav.singer hits high notes like Vassilka Petrova…I was THERE!! Sony is so stupid…..