• Henry Holland: Thanks for the heads up, I’ll give it a listen this weekend. 1:57 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: OK – this cements it: I am officially changing the cast and date on my Mixcloud page and removing... 1:44 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Listen to her Leonore from Wiener Staatsoper in June at my Mixcloud page and judge for yourself.... 1:39 AM
  • Cicciabella: Soffel is not the youngest of singers. Making allowances for that, I liked what she did with the text. No-one was anywhere... 1:11 AM
  • dr.malatempra: Indeed, the finest Verdi baritone singing I have heard since the prime of Cornell Macneil or the young,(Goldovsky Opera... 12:52 AM
  • Rosemont: Thank you for the reports and reviews from Santa Fe! I will be there for the first time first week of August…und freue... 12:25 AM
  • Lohenfal: Sure, but as I said, they (or others) may not be available. These singers are signed up way in advance. One never knows what... 12:11 AM
  • Sanford: She is terrific but the men are pretty awful, especially the tenor. The other voice I liked was Margareta Elkins. 11:34 PM

You will, David, you will

La Cieca hears that parterre fave David Daniels will get all eponymous and stuff for a world premiere opera entitled Oscar, based on the life of Oscar Wilde, for Santa Fe Opera in 2013, with Opera Company of Philadelphia to follow.  The work is to boast music by Theodore Morrison and a libretto and stage direction by John Cox.

• Nerva Nelli says:

Actually, *this* is the role David will be playing in OSCAR:

• Joe Conda says:

During my Peabody student days, Morrison was head of the choral department and gave me two of the most enriching musical experiences of my life -- singing Purcell’s Aeneas and solos in Britten’s Cantata Misericordium. He is a brilliant musician and great intellect. I never knew he was a composer and wish him a great success.

• Buster says:

If this is a hit they could perhaps revive Dorian Gray, which had Philip Langridge in it, and Roberta Alexander as Sybil Vane.

With this title post I could not resist, sorry:

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Daniels is a fine musician, but who knew that Oscar Wilde sounds like a fairy?!!!

• zinka says:

The reason (well,one of them) that I am a mess today is when I was 8 my ma took me “innocently” to see “The Picture of Dorian Gray” and I got so scared..(The picture was in COLOR in a B/W film)…I had nightmares even worse than when I dreamt of making love to Kurt Baum…..
    Will they show a scene from the scary novel in the opera??If so, who will play the portrait….Is Albert Innaurato available????

• zinka says:

Looking at Parterre ad..and not wanting to help La Cieca lose money….Zinka, my all-time fav.singer hits high notes like Vassilka Petrova…I was THERE!! Sony is so stupid…..