• laddie: httpv://www.youtub Q4fow2c 10:24 AM
  • grimoaldo: The very greatest Montsy in the beautiful preghiera from Maria Stuarda- heavenly singing! httpv://www.youtub 10:24 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: httpvh://www.youtu FjiyYXhw 10:14 AM
  • Camille: Here is the link, Bill. Available in mp3: https://www.hungar a/die-konigin-von- p2636.html It’s with... 10:13 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Neither original nor even old, but I loved it and had a marvellous evening: httpv://www.youtub lHCnPMg 10:11 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Some of my favorites httpvh://www.youtu Wr6GbqE0 httpvh://www.youtu vFylrW4E... 10:10 AM
  • laddie: httpv://www.youtub JlR9rsY 10:07 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Bill, my friends told me that Budapest Rheingold was, unlike the Goldmark, a real stinker, both production and singers. 10:05 AM

You will, David, you will

La Cieca hears that parterre fave David Daniels will get all eponymous and stuff for a world premiere opera entitled Oscar, based on the life of Oscar Wilde, for Santa Fe Opera in 2013, with Opera Company of Philadelphia to follow.  The work is to boast music by Theodore Morrison and a libretto and stage direction by John Cox.

• operagirl40 says:

What an awful idea!

• atalaya says:

What’s awful about the idea?

• ianw2 says:

The title could use some work, but yay for Teddy Daniels! And yay for my two absolute favourite companies in the country being committed to new work!

• CruzSF says:

Right. Even Wilde is a better title.

• ianw2 says:

I’d never even heard of Theodore Morrison, I confess. I’m vaguely curious how he landed such a major commission- doesn’t even exist on wikipedia, hahaha! And there only seems to be one clip on youtube.

Makes me think of Britten. He appears to be quite a choral bigwig on further digging.

• papopera says:

The Reading Gaol is even better.

• lrhonn says:

Indeed this is a awful idea. Mr. Daniel’s voice now is shrinking in size and it has become toneless--all breath. He still has a fine stage presence but when you add voice to that, it adds up to less than successful.

• wasww says:

Well, that’s just wrong. Yes, being that singing is about breath, it is all breath. However, I’ve been hearing the most amazing singing out of him in the last 2 productions I’ve seen in him. Such a bitter and uneducated comment. Yikes.

• CG says:

I guess LRhonn was not at Mr. Daniels’ Carnegie concert or performances as Orfeo at the Met this spring. His voice easily filled those huge halls with unforced, glorious sound.

• CruzSF says:

At last!

• hagenschmagen says:

according to

“Daniels also continues to record, having recently released an excellent CD of Bach arias and cantatas. Additionally, Daniels has something in the works that will be of great interest to LGBT audiences. “I have an exciting project happening in the summer of 2013—a new opera being written for me entitled Oscar.”

This work, based on the trial and imprisonment of Irish writer and aesthete Oscar Wilde, is being composed by Theodore Morrison, of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Morrison, the Director of Graduate Studies in Conducting at the University of Michigan, has written for Daniels before, composing Chamber Music, a cycle of songs set to poems by James Joyce.

“Morrison was my choral professor at the University of Michigan,” Daniels says. “We put together a demo tape of pieces and sent it to several opera companies, one of which decided to commission the work.””

• Clita del Toro says:

OT: Macbeth

Don’t especially like Lucic or the Lady Macbeth. And Muti is making the opera sound like Traviata???

Yes, but, after having seen Stephen Fry do the part so well in the movie “Wilde”, it’s really difficult for me to ‘hear’ Oscar in any voice other than baritone.

I do hope it is a good work as I am so fond of Wilde’s writing. Once, about ten years, I saw his grandson, Mr. Holland--I believe it is, give a talk about his new book on his grandfather, at NYPL. It was a very moving experience to hear him speak of the great Wilde.

• tannengrin says:

I thought exactly the same!

Let’s hope, then, that they will recruit Bosie from the current list of barihunks! Although, he would be the quintessential tenor character, to me. Is Bostridge available?

• iknowthings says:

I thought that this was a gossip site? We can ALL “hear” things that are on formal press releases (of which La Cieca forgot to mention the rest…the Weir opera, the new Higdon Cold Mountain, etc).

Santa Fe Opera are notoriously slapdash about sending me their press releases. Some years I don’t even get one!

• ianw2 says:

Aren’t you clever, iknowthings.

About time Higdon did an opera, and Miss Fortune seems to have been a success at Bregenz.

Were I composing opera, I would crawl over broken glass for a Santa Fe commission.

• mrmyster says:

Anyone who wishes can go to and
      there you will find full details and the press release as
      Do a little digging; it’s not at all hard!

Living, as I do, several thousand miles from Santa Fe, their season is not at the top of my google list. Nonetheless, I am grateful to find out via a site like this one when they are doing something as interesting-sounding as this. Is that so terribly hard to understand?

I’m not sure why the sharing of information should be the trigger for pissing and moaning.

• Maury D says:

As Frank Sinatra says to Bing Crosby: you must be one of the newer fellows.

• louannd says:

It’s not at the top of my Google list either, and I live a mere 510 miles from Santa Fe and spend a week there every summer. Thanks Parterre.

• mrmyster says:

Lou, as you know I live in SFE but do not always attend all the operas; I surely could have done without the painfully boring Griselda and the
            very empty Last Savage, and I am doing without La boheme — but Faust (just to hear the score again) and Wozzeck, for every reason, were worth the four-mile drive :) Next summer I shall trouble myself to hear Maometto II and King Roger; that’s it. The more interesting, summer diversion for us old timers, is the Chamber Music Festival, which is thriving. The Debussy/Schumann piano recital by Joyce Yang is one I shall always remember; she is a very major talent, of the order of Guiomar Novaes; I heard her Tuesday and she still owns my imagination. I cannot say that about the opera. Alas, after many years of resisting change, SFO is slowly limping into post-modern deconstructionism (much favoring “set in the time of composition”), which can certainly take the luster off treasured masterworks. The wings of change are disturbing our mountain breezes. I’ll say no more.

louann and monsieur myster, please…

I just learned of this organization a few days ago; the Church of Beethoven, in Albuuerque.

Their website is, for your information.

• Krunoslav says:

Ana Maria Martinez’s Mimi is the best performance of the SF season!

• louannd says:

@Mr. Just so you know I was BORN and RAISED in New Mexico and have been attending the SFEO since the old days. I much loved the Faust this year for the dazzling camp piece that it was, won’t comment no more on Griselda (well, maybe, just one- “WTF?”), and, I agree that AMM was by far and away the best thing about the Boheme, with a nod to the Curran production, which was intelligent in the traditional sense. :)

Le show du jour.

Brava, madame!

• No Expert says:

They just better not cut the ballet

• mrmyster says:

Kruno: No argument from me on Ms. Ana Maria Martinez’s singing; I find her one of the best around. Her Donna Elvira at SFE was unforgettable.

She’s the performer who slid off the stage at Glyndebourne into the orchestra
      pit and landed on a priceless cello. But now I hear she married an Englishman
      and lives in Sussex! Must have been a serious fall! :)

• ianw2 says:

I’m pretty sure she lives in Houston…? And that she’s married to Chad Shelton…?

She did a great Butterfly in DC. I’ve always thought she’s pretty fab.

• Nerva Nelli says:

Well, it was a good story, no?

A few more mai tais and he’ll be telling us (yet again) how **incredibly** old Pat Racette is and how dear old Eleanor crashed through the TOSCA scenery…

• ianw2 says:

I suppose, to quote another Paterriani, that you should Do a little digging; it’s not at all hard!

• A. Poggia Turra says:

Off-Topic reminder: The live webstream of the opening opera of the Rossini Opera Festival, ADELAIDE DI BORGOGNA, has begun:

(Click on “Ascolta” to listen)

• phillyoperalover says:

maybe there will be a gay scene ;)

• Nerva Nelli says:

Actually, *this* is the role David will be playing in OSCAR:

• Joe Conda says:

During my Peabody student days, Morrison was head of the choral department and gave me two of the most enriching musical experiences of my life -- singing Purcell’s Aeneas and solos in Britten’s Cantata Misericordium. He is a brilliant musician and great intellect. I never knew he was a composer and wish him a great success.

• Buster says:

If this is a hit they could perhaps revive Dorian Gray, which had Philip Langridge in it, and Roberta Alexander as Sybil Vane.

With this title post I could not resist, sorry:

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Daniels is a fine musician, but who knew that Oscar Wilde sounds like a fairy?!!!

• zinka says:

The reason (well,one of them) that I am a mess today is when I was 8 my ma took me “innocently” to see “The Picture of Dorian Gray” and I got so scared..(The picture was in COLOR in a B/W film)…I had nightmares even worse than when I dreamt of making love to Kurt Baum…..
    Will they show a scene from the scary novel in the opera??If so, who will play the portrait….Is Albert Innaurato available????

• zinka says:

Looking at Parterre ad..and not wanting to help La Cieca lose money….Zinka, my all-time fav.singer hits high notes like Vassilka Petrova…I was THERE!! Sony is so stupid…..