• PushedUpMezzo: Not sure these days where to post things, but wanted to recommend the weird and wonderful... 8:25 AM
  • MontyNostry: That Carmélites in Nice was one of my personal Great Evenings at the Opera. 8:06 AM
  • Dabrowski: She is now being praised even on aspects of her singing for which she was previously criticized... 7:48 AM
  • DeepSouthSenior: It would be nice to read a one-time contribution from someone paying tribute to Groucho:... 7:34 AM
  • ML: Feld, that’s six lines bitching about poor Olga and no words at all about how the symphony was... 6:27 AM
  • ML: Vociaccia, I agree completely. 6:06 AM
  • ML: Justin Davidson, below, tackles the Klinghoffer controversy better than others I have read.... 5:59 AM
  • Baltsamic Vinaigrette: Thank you as ever, WCO. Guy Chauvet is not the only notable French musician born on... 5:37 AM
  • Cicciabella: Here’s another thinking reviewer/bowling pin knocked over by Ms Netrebko: http://tinyurl... 3:25 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: I am wondering if perhaps Mrs. Claggart and I were at that same Salome since I also heard... 2:55 AM

You will, David, you will

La Cieca hears that parterre fave David Daniels will get all eponymous and stuff for a world premiere opera entitled Oscar, based on the life of Oscar Wilde, for Santa Fe Opera in 2013, with Opera Company of Philadelphia to follow.  The work is to boast music by Theodore Morrison and a libretto and stage direction by John Cox.

• Nerva Nelli says:

Actually, *this* is the role David will be playing in OSCAR:

• Joe Conda says:

During my Peabody student days, Morrison was head of the choral department and gave me two of the most enriching musical experiences of my life -- singing Purcell’s Aeneas and solos in Britten’s Cantata Misericordium. He is a brilliant musician and great intellect. I never knew he was a composer and wish him a great success.

• Buster says:

If this is a hit they could perhaps revive Dorian Gray, which had Philip Langridge in it, and Roberta Alexander as Sybil Vane.

With this title post I could not resist, sorry:

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Daniels is a fine musician, but who knew that Oscar Wilde sounds like a fairy?!!!

• zinka says:

The reason (well,one of them) that I am a mess today is when I was 8 my ma took me “innocently” to see “The Picture of Dorian Gray” and I got so scared..(The picture was in COLOR in a B/W film)…I had nightmares even worse than when I dreamt of making love to Kurt Baum…..
    Will they show a scene from the scary novel in the opera??If so, who will play the portrait….Is Albert Innaurato available????

• zinka says:

Looking at Parterre ad..and not wanting to help La Cieca lose money….Zinka, my all-time fav.singer hits high notes like Vassilka Petrova…I was THERE!! Sony is so stupid…..