• mjmacmtenor: Here a bit from the Trovatore httpv://youtu.be/c QV_mJe1mq4 9:36 PM
  • WindyCityOperaman: At 60 still striking looking. Reading up on him on wiki and You Tube – interesting... 8:14 PM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Wasn’t it because her husband punched her in the face? She was probably smelling... 8:06 PM
  • manou: Celui-ci? http://tinyurl.com /nkmesfs 7:51 PM
  • Sanford: One of my favorite albums was the French arias album of Christiane Eda-Pierre which included the... 7:33 PM
  • danpatter: I’m very glad this has been so splendidly remastered. When it was first released, I... 7:15 PM
  • Henry Holland: He was supposed to retire from his position at the Los Angeles Opera in the summer of 2013,... 7:10 PM
  • Henry Holland: I love Boulez’ music and heavy metal (Mastodon is a current favorite) and hi-hop (old... 7:03 PM
  • manou: I may have posted this before – Bjorn Andresen now: http://img4.wikia. nocookie.net/__... 7:02 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: DIVA WATCH: Anne Schwanewilms has cancelled the premiere of the new “Elektra”... 6:14 PM

Licia Albanese 1913-2014

La Cieca has just heard the sad news that the beloved soprano Licia Albanese died earlier this evening. She was 101.

For various reasons, here is one of my favorite Licia recordings:

• fidelio101 says:

/Users/PAULJOHNSTONDESKTOP/Desktop/Sondheim -- Follies (1985) in Concert -- Carol Burnett, Mandy Patinkin, Lee Remick copy.mp4

• mercadante says:

That is a great way to describe it, it had “face”. So di VDL, Callas, Olivero, Modl, Favero, Muzio and several others. That is one element that seems lacking today, however many other virtues the singers on the boards now have.

The other thing Mdm. albanese had in spades was the clearest diction.

• La Valkyrietta says:

She will be remembered forever.

• La Valkyrietta says:

• All-knowing Earth Goddess says:

Early Romantic:
    You responded emotionally but did not prove your point. You were supposed to write that what you had read was delusionally offbalance for reasons x, y, and z. Then, if you can prove you case rationally and without any contradictions, I’d consider your response.

• BB says:

No dying Mimi is more affecting than hers, especially on the Toscanini recording.

• Wunderkind says:

Speaking as one who had the joy of attending Licia’s 90the birthday lunch at The Plaza hotel, I am glad to see the New York Times has her correct age! What a wonderfully warm and funny artist she was. RIP!