• turings: Good luck with it, Sanford! 6:08 AM
  • armerjacquino: there are certain reliable singers who show up on time …and some of those singers get... 5:56 AM
  • redbear: Peter Sellars: “This is a period of mass intimidation, one where it’s no accident that... 5:48 AM
  • Cicciabella: Pierre Audi has promised that Prince Igor, a co-production with the Met, will soon come to... 4:25 AM
  • Sanford: Well, I have started a business. It’s called So Noted Music and I’ll be selling mp3 and... 3:49 AM
  • Krunoslav: https://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=bWK4 zsTacTU https://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=y2DK I2iQMfI 1:08 AM
  • Krunoslav: “check out who this Mafalda Favero gurl was” httpsv://www.youtu be.com/watch?v=... 1:07 AM
  • La Cieca: Well, no, I assume Favero would have had at least some further Met career. But factually speaking,... 1:01 AM
  • Andie Musique: Madame Butterfly, New York City Opera, March 2010! 12:43 AM
  • m. croche: My memory could be off, but I’m pretty sure the comments about the Prince Igor poppies were... 12:32 AM

Licia Albanese 1913-2014

La Cieca has just heard the sad news that the beloved soprano Licia Albanese died earlier this evening. She was 101.

For various reasons, here is one of my favorite Licia recordings:

• fidelio101 says:

/Users/PAULJOHNSTONDESKTOP/Desktop/Sondheim -- Follies (1985) in Concert -- Carol Burnett, Mandy Patinkin, Lee Remick copy.mp4

• mercadante says:

That is a great way to describe it, it had “face”. So di VDL, Callas, Olivero, Modl, Favero, Muzio and several others. That is one element that seems lacking today, however many other virtues the singers on the boards now have.

The other thing Mdm. albanese had in spades was the clearest diction.

• La Valkyrietta says:

She will be remembered forever.

• La Valkyrietta says:

• All-knowing Earth Goddess says:

Early Romantic:
    You responded emotionally but did not prove your point. You were supposed to write that what you had read was delusionally offbalance for reasons x, y, and z. Then, if you can prove you case rationally and without any contradictions, I’d consider your response.

• BB says:

No dying Mimi is more affecting than hers, especially on the Toscanini recording.

• Wunderkind says:

Speaking as one who had the joy of attending Licia’s 90the birthday lunch at The Plaza hotel, I am glad to see the New York Times has her correct age! What a wonderfully warm and funny artist she was. RIP!