• Porgy Amor: I was rooting for Nick Nolte for Affliction among that crop, but Edward Norton (American History X or McKellen would have been... 5:27 PM
  • Porgy Amor: I copied one other line from the SJT Anna Nicole review, when I linked to it for someone elsewhere: “We also have a wild... 5:14 PM
  • Porgy Amor: All those voices in her head. 4:11 PM
  • sutherlandfan: Re Herheim, here’s his take on the upcoming Boheme: http://www.theoper aplatform.eu/en/ar ticle/new-old-la-b oheme 4:08 PM
  • Rowna: I have only listened to the first hour – I have work to do! The conducting is so fantastic I forgive all average and below... 4:03 PM
  • manou: The Internet reports that Gloria felt nauseous in the public transport. 3:57 PM
  • Porgy Amor: He also wrote the notes for a reissue of the Muti Ernani — whichever one came out around middle of last decade. 3:42 PM
  • Cicciabella: I hope he also got to review Jerry Springer, the Opera. Opera Britannia has good reviewers, but they need to spruce up the... 3:02 PM

Licia Albanese 1913-2014

La Cieca has just heard the sad news that the beloved soprano Licia Albanese died earlier this evening. She was 101.

For various reasons, here is one of my favorite Licia recordings:

• fidelio101 says:

/Users/PAULJOHNSTONDESKTOP/Desktop/Sondheim -- Follies (1985) in Concert -- Carol Burnett, Mandy Patinkin, Lee Remick copy.mp4

• mercadante says:

That is a great way to describe it, it had “face”. So di VDL, Callas, Olivero, Modl, Favero, Muzio and several others. That is one element that seems lacking today, however many other virtues the singers on the boards now have.

The other thing Mdm. albanese had in spades was the clearest diction.

• La Valkyrietta says:

She will be remembered forever.

• La Valkyrietta says:

• All-knowing Earth Goddess says:

Early Romantic:
    You responded emotionally but did not prove your point. You were supposed to write that what you had read was delusionally offbalance for reasons x, y, and z. Then, if you can prove you case rationally and without any contradictions, I’d consider your response.

• BB says:

No dying Mimi is more affecting than hers, especially on the Toscanini recording.

• Wunderkind says:

Speaking as one who had the joy of attending Licia’s 90the birthday lunch at The Plaza hotel, I am glad to see the New York Times has her correct age! What a wonderfully warm and funny artist she was. RIP!