• steveac10: This whole exchange raises the conflicted feelings I have on these issues. On the one hand we have to be sensitive to peoples... 11:17 PM
  • RudigerVT: You can be warm and friendly toward employees. But they aren’t your friends. Friends don’t pay to spend time with... 9:22 PM
  • m. croche: To be clear, I agree that “just makeup” is not an argument, but merely hand-waving away the issues. Always a good... 8:50 PM
  • Donna Anna: JIS: My favorite part of the opera, too, and one of my favorites–tu tti gabbati with the house lights up. And JL is in... 8:45 PM
  • armerjacquino: the idea that blackface is “just makeup” To be clear: blackface isn’t in any way ‘just makeup’. It has a... 8:29 PM
  • m. croche: Absent a guarantee of anonymity, I would not presume to guess what a young opera singer of color felt free to say or not say in... 8:23 PM
  • armerjacquino: Who’s saying his decision has been made ‘primarily in the face of ‘political correctness’ ?’... 8:17 PM
  • jackoh: “just as I don’t see why Sher saying ‘blackface is problematic so I won’t use it in my production’ is censorship” I don’t... 8:11 PM

Licia Albanese 1913-2014

La Cieca has just heard the sad news that the beloved soprano Licia Albanese died earlier this evening. She was 101.

For various reasons, here is one of my favorite Licia recordings:

• fidelio101 says:

/Users/PAULJOHNSTONDESKTOP/Desktop/Sondheim -- Follies (1985) in Concert -- Carol Burnett, Mandy Patinkin, Lee Remick copy.mp4

• mercadante says:

That is a great way to describe it, it had “face”. So di VDL, Callas, Olivero, Modl, Favero, Muzio and several others. That is one element that seems lacking today, however many other virtues the singers on the boards now have.

The other thing Mdm. albanese had in spades was the clearest diction.

• La Valkyrietta says:

She will be remembered forever.

• La Valkyrietta says:

• All-knowing Earth Goddess says:

Early Romantic:
    You responded emotionally but did not prove your point. You were supposed to write that what you had read was delusionally offbalance for reasons x, y, and z. Then, if you can prove you case rationally and without any contradictions, I’d consider your response.

• BB says:

No dying Mimi is more affecting than hers, especially on the Toscanini recording.

• Wunderkind says:

Speaking as one who had the joy of attending Licia’s 90the birthday lunch at The Plaza hotel, I am glad to see the New York Times has her correct age! What a wonderfully warm and funny artist she was. RIP!