• Feldmarschallin: Well I will be in the lines for the third and fourth as well. Will you be at one of those? 7:11 AM
  • ML: tote 7:06 AM
  • ML: I remember Die Tote Stadt at the Dorothy Buffum years back, when Hollreiser conducted Karan Armstrong... 7:04 AM
  • ML: One would certainly think so! Feld, thank you again for offering to ease the pain on Friday morning, but... 7:02 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: http://www.volksbu ehne-berlin.de/pra xis/meistersinger/ Here a Meistersinger with Castorf... 6:43 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: No I understand that they need time for the replacement but would think that they would take... 6:06 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I know that the head of the press office at the “Wiener Oper” has... 6:02 AM
  • manou: Dear croche – I am completely overwhelmed by all this information! I have transmitted it to... 5:22 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well the Wiener Oper doesn’t seem to update their website very often. Just checked to... 5:18 AM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: Whenever I see a staged mad scene it always occurs to me that these directors or... 5:15 AM

Licia Albanese 1913-2014

La Cieca has just heard the sad news that the beloved soprano Licia Albanese died earlier this evening. She was 101.

For various reasons, here is one of my favorite Licia recordings:

• fidelio101 says:

/Users/PAULJOHNSTONDESKTOP/Desktop/Sondheim -- Follies (1985) in Concert -- Carol Burnett, Mandy Patinkin, Lee Remick copy.mp4

• mercadante says:

That is a great way to describe it, it had “face”. So di VDL, Callas, Olivero, Modl, Favero, Muzio and several others. That is one element that seems lacking today, however many other virtues the singers on the boards now have.

The other thing Mdm. albanese had in spades was the clearest diction.

• La Valkyrietta says:

She will be remembered forever.

• La Valkyrietta says:

• All-knowing Earth Goddess says:

Early Romantic:
    You responded emotionally but did not prove your point. You were supposed to write that what you had read was delusionally offbalance for reasons x, y, and z. Then, if you can prove you case rationally and without any contradictions, I’d consider your response.

• BB says:

No dying Mimi is more affecting than hers, especially on the Toscanini recording.

• Wunderkind says:

Speaking as one who had the joy of attending Licia’s 90the birthday lunch at The Plaza hotel, I am glad to see the New York Times has her correct age! What a wonderfully warm and funny artist she was. RIP!