• phoenix: Good interpretation, but why don’t writers specify ‘broken̵ 7; or ‘shattere... 11:51 AM
  • phoenix: - Another possible meaning – glass is either concave or convex, depending on the angle you... 11:46 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Think of a broken glass – hard, sharp edge. So a voice with a hard, sharp edge is (IMO)... 11:36 AM
  • phoenix: Yes, I find the acoustics at Wiener Staatsoper a bit dry compared to Bayreuth – plus the... 11:29 AM
  • whiskey per tutti: Jorden used it in his review of Pagliacci, referring to Racette’s voice. I’m... 11:10 AM
  • phoenix: it all depends if the whiskey glass is covered with condensation or if it is clear – I... 10:59 AM
  • LT: Serves me right for not reading the article first. 10:54 AM
  • Bluebeard: Phoenix-I will say Merbeth’s Bayreuth Senta was excellent last year. Far from a beautiful... 10:46 AM
  • phoenix: I saw Popp sing Elsa, Eva and the Marschallin, toward the end of her career (and life). She was my... 10:42 AM
  • Poison Ivy: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=KeYf -rhMQIQ 10:15 AM

Licia Albanese 1913-2014

La Cieca has just heard the sad news that the beloved soprano Licia Albanese died earlier this evening. She was 101.

For various reasons, here is one of my favorite Licia recordings:

• fidelio101 says:

/Users/PAULJOHNSTONDESKTOP/Desktop/Sondheim -- Follies (1985) in Concert -- Carol Burnett, Mandy Patinkin, Lee Remick copy.mp4

• mercadante says:

That is a great way to describe it, it had “face”. So di VDL, Callas, Olivero, Modl, Favero, Muzio and several others. That is one element that seems lacking today, however many other virtues the singers on the boards now have.

The other thing Mdm. albanese had in spades was the clearest diction.

• La Valkyrietta says:

She will be remembered forever.

• La Valkyrietta says:

• All-knowing Earth Goddess says:

Early Romantic:
    You responded emotionally but did not prove your point. You were supposed to write that what you had read was delusionally offbalance for reasons x, y, and z. Then, if you can prove you case rationally and without any contradictions, I’d consider your response.

• BB says:

No dying Mimi is more affecting than hers, especially on the Toscanini recording.

• Wunderkind says:

Speaking as one who had the joy of attending Licia’s 90the birthday lunch at The Plaza hotel, I am glad to see the New York Times has her correct age! What a wonderfully warm and funny artist she was. RIP!