• moritz: I was about to write “I’ve never heard or read that someone used the verb “fistelnR 21; although... 3:25 AM
  • siegmund: I believe she sang almost all of the big wagner roles including brunnhilde and isolde in places like London and Vienna. 1:43 AM
  • Bluebeard: A pivotal scene features that image, plus it’s the poster used by other companies, such as the ROH. It’s a... 12:38 AM
  • Poison Ivy: I saw the livestream. Opolais is a great actress, and a decent musician, but her voice really lacks any bloom. It kind of... 11:19 PM
  • WindyCityOperaman: RIP singer Lynn Anderson httpvh://www.youtu be.com/watch?v=2g0 f3_Gke84 8:59 PM
  • aulus agerius: Why do the WRITTEN ON SKIN ads feature tats? It’s not about that is it? I decided not to go, BTW, affer viewing the... 7:46 PM
  • Bill: I liked Ludmila Dvorakova a great deal – she had a Flagstad like warmth to her voice – very rich in the middle. She sang... 6:37 PM
  • luvtennis: I would have a hard time suspending my disbelief too. How can you kill nuns to music that’s this much FUN!... 5:49 PM

Licia Albanese 1913-2014

La Cieca has just heard the sad news that the beloved soprano Licia Albanese died earlier this evening. She was 101.

For various reasons, here is one of my favorite Licia recordings:

• fidelio101 says:

/Users/PAULJOHNSTONDESKTOP/Desktop/Sondheim -- Follies (1985) in Concert -- Carol Burnett, Mandy Patinkin, Lee Remick copy.mp4

• mercadante says:

That is a great way to describe it, it had “face”. So di VDL, Callas, Olivero, Modl, Favero, Muzio and several others. That is one element that seems lacking today, however many other virtues the singers on the boards now have.

The other thing Mdm. albanese had in spades was the clearest diction.

• La Valkyrietta says:

She will be remembered forever.

• La Valkyrietta says:

• All-knowing Earth Goddess says:

Early Romantic:
    You responded emotionally but did not prove your point. You were supposed to write that what you had read was delusionally offbalance for reasons x, y, and z. Then, if you can prove you case rationally and without any contradictions, I’d consider your response.

• BB says:

No dying Mimi is more affecting than hers, especially on the Toscanini recording.

• Wunderkind says:

Speaking as one who had the joy of attending Licia’s 90the birthday lunch at The Plaza hotel, I am glad to see the New York Times has her correct age! What a wonderfully warm and funny artist she was. RIP!