• Camille: Hooray, it’s Linda Esther Gray Day!! Her fabulous Isolde, at least one of the versions as I believe there are two,... 1:08 PM
  • Camille: httpv://youtube.co m/watch?v=eh9WayN7 R-s A truly great artist but an even greater human being. Long may he be remembered for... 12:54 PM
  • JackJack: Terrifically written, in your distinctive voice. You made me care to read a review of Carmen. 12:40 PM
  • armerjacquino: Try the 60s DON CARLO from Berlin on DVD. King, Fi-Di and Johnson are only ok, but Lorengar and Greindl are on FIRE both... 12:15 PM
  • Sempre liberal: In addition to Gergiev, I recall Maazel’s conducting some MET Walkures a few years ago. 11:52 AM
  • semira mide: Sorry I won’t be able to see the film. I had the good fortune to hear Paul Robeson sing in person many years ago ( of... 11:48 AM
  • Camille: SHOWBOAT, in the 1936 film adaptation will be shown once more at MoMA, next Friday evening, June 3rd @ 7:00 pm, ergo, GRATIS!... 10:23 AM
  • Tory Adore: was anyone else turned on by that clip of Solti conducting? So physical and visceral. I think I’m going to faint. 10:20 AM

Licia Albanese 1913-2014

La Cieca has just heard the sad news that the beloved soprano Licia Albanese died earlier this evening. She was 101.

• 21
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

For various reasons, here is one of my favorite Licia recordings:

• 22
    fidelio101 says:

/Users/PAULJOHNSTONDESKTOP/Desktop/Sondheim -- Follies (1985) in Concert -- Carol Burnett, Mandy Patinkin, Lee Remick copy.mp4

• 23
    mercadante says:

That is a great way to describe it, it had “face”. So di VDL, Callas, Olivero, Modl, Favero, Muzio and several others. That is one element that seems lacking today, however many other virtues the singers on the boards now have.

The other thing Mdm. albanese had in spades was the clearest diction.

• 24
    La Valkyrietta says:

She will be remembered forever.

• 25
    La Valkyrietta says:

• 26
    All-knowing Earth Goddess says:

Early Romantic:
    You responded emotionally but did not prove your point. You were supposed to write that what you had read was delusionally offbalance for reasons x, y, and z. Then, if you can prove you case rationally and without any contradictions, I’d consider your response.

• 27
    BB says:

No dying Mimi is more affecting than hers, especially on the Toscanini recording.

• 28
  • 29
    Wunderkind says:

Speaking as one who had the joy of attending Licia’s 90the birthday lunch at The Plaza hotel, I am glad to see the New York Times has her correct age! What a wonderfully warm and funny artist she was. RIP!