• ML: What? Why? He’s the only true French voice we have! I think long-standing Parterrians should be... 6:24 AM
  • LJ: here’s the SBS interview http://www.sbs.com .au/news/article/2 014/08/08/operas-h ottest-tenor-ho... 6:15 AM
  • manou: œdipe is on the naughty step – but I hope he will be back soon, holding hands with bassoprofundo. 6:15 AM
  • ML: Oedipe — où es-tu? 5:42 AM
  • ML: Well, as you suggest, there are not performances in French of comparable quality. This is ultimately the... 5:34 AM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: Cocky, I have to disagree re Goerke as Elektra. I didn’t attend last night as... 5:24 AM
  • lyrebird: Actually, the figures are worse than my rough estimates above. If anyone cares (and I’m... 5:19 AM
  • lyrebird: Sorry to disagree. The second concert in Sydney went on sale well before anything like the first... 4:59 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: I saw Elektra last night at the proms and seem to be at odds with everybody on Facebook and... 4:41 AM
  • Lohengrin: I also wondered about the way of PR. For exemple in Krumlov/Tchechien they offert JK in all... 4:40 AM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.