• Poison Ivy: Well I disagree. I think Don Giovanni’s second act loses a lot of steam. Almost everything... 4:53 PM
  • operaassport: Great review but I must disagree with your first few paragraphs. Giovanni is absolute perfect... 4:40 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Here’s a clip on youtube I found of the Leporello/Don Giovanni action: httpv://www.you... 4:17 PM
  • spiderman: Bretz has 7 kids … While he is a great singer and a fabulous actor, I think it is still too... 4:12 PM
  • ML: Tsymbalyuk would make an interesting Don! I don’t care for Frizza, who conducts the other DVD. 4:11 PM
  • kashania: When I made my post, I was still in Act I but yes, he’s wonderful. Even a few years in the... 3:54 PM
  • Nero Wolfe: Did you ever see Stratas in The Canadians? http://www.imdb.co m/title/tt0054715/ ?ref_=nm_flmg_... 3:37 PM
  • mskapay: Indeed, but he is only just 50, which isn’t wildly out there for a male singer, and he’s... 3:29 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Perhaps the original pirates. The Mapleson Cylinders. I love this clip from Tosca. It sounds like... 3:25 PM
  • mirywi: According to my ears, it’s Mr MacNeil who is the surprise vocal standout in that Tosca. 2:54 PM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.