• mia apulia: just so……. boring 2:01 AM
  • NPW-Paris: I have it tonight. I avoid premières. 1:39 AM
  • DharmaBray: I guess time is running out for the fabled opera of En attendant Godot Boulez was supposed to be... 12:36 AM
  • vilbastarda: Mea culpa Krunoslav! I promise to never speak on rumors alone again, before doing my own... 12:26 AM
  • Phantom Violist: Wow, delighted to see LHO still on top of their game. I played in the pit as an undergrad,... 12:00 AM
  • DharmaBray: Episode 4 of Opera Australia’s Opera on the Harbour brings us a comic book Aida, complete... 11:48 PM
  • Satisfied: Russian…Russ ian…everywhe re a Putin Russian. 10:40 PM
  • Poison Ivy: well in other news it seems as if a regie production of Tannhauser got an impresario sacked in... 9:49 PM
  • Ilka Saro: Thanks to Buster for the ID on Conley, and to all the other folks for quite an interesting read on... 9:48 PM
  • Cicciabella: How obliging of Jonas Kaufmann to warn us about these (Southern) Italian men who suddenly... 8:54 PM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.