• MontyNostry: Is that Kevin Kline on the left in the Csárdásfürstin image too? 1:41 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well doesn’t every production have a Regisseur? In Europe one never says it is a... 1:15 PM
  • overstimmelated: “… it would be a reggie production” And a senseless one perhaps, but that... 12:49 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Faites attention Manou. 12:28 PM
  • SF Guy: La Cieca–I interpreted La V’s post as deadpan satire, a long and honorable tradition... 12:13 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Thank you much for posting this, Quanto – what a kind, wise lady she is. 12:09 PM
  • bluecabochon: Klinghoffer director Tom Morris will answer questions live today at 1 PM EST at the Guardian:... 11:40 AM
  • Buster: Thanks for that story, Zinka. He seems to have a lot of fun here: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v... 11:06 AM
  • Cicciabella: Absolutely, MdM! The interpretation is sweet without being cloying. And such a beautiful,... 10:45 AM
  • La Cieca: Never mind that you think it would be cute assign to a mob of political opportunists the absolute... 10:32 AM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.