• armerjacquino: It happens, but it’s certainly not a house policy. I’ve seen four or five TOSCAs... 4:41 PM
  • moritz: You’re welcome, Porgy. I probably should have included the next sentence of the review as well:... 4:20 PM
  • Gualtier M: BTW: there is another whole generation of young Italian singers working all over Italy. This... 4:14 PM
  • antikitschychick: This took place on Sept. 28th so very recently :-). I second your concern about the burnout... 4:11 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: I’ve heard that they don’t clap after this aria at ROH. It was even... 4:10 PM
  • damekenneth: I always seem to confuse Riccardo Massi with Massimo Giordani, another goodish looking Italian... 4:10 PM
  • 98rsd: Sheer hypocrisy of attending a baseball game–because of Ebola? (The sound of a head shaking) 4:08 PM
  • operainsider: I use to believe the “Aida is the boring role” or “the opera should be called... 4:07 PM
  • 98rsd: That said, I just listened to the Celeste Aida and he sounds rather unsteady. Listen to the... 3:46 PM
  • 98rsd: The audience there doesn’t burst into applause at every opportunity. I’m not sure Kaufmann... 3:36 PM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.