• le cerf agile: Oh my… Thank you for the recommendation: after a 12-hour day at work, that closed captioning really was a true... 11:16 PM
  • gustave of montreal: Königskinder, sumptuous score. 9:58 PM
  • Ilka Saro: Yes, true! One can’t imagine such spritely madrileña favorites as “Ella giammai m’amo” keeping their... 9:47 PM
  • gustave of montreal: those who are time-challenged and/or want to test-drive ? ? ? what does that mean in plain English ???? 9:41 PM
  • Stefan: I definitely agree with the earlier comment that said “There’s no such thing as bad regie, just regie you don’t yet understand.” I... 9:20 PM
  • Batty Masetto: For true delight, turn on closed captioning for this. (Best if you know some French.) Better than Google translate. 9:13 PM
  • la vociaccia: I have no words. How someone who would say something like that ever found himself in opera is fucking beyond me. I mean. Wow 7:48 PM
  • manou: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=-xci 9XyvKqo or https://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=-xci 9XyvKqo 7:35 PM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.