• La Cieca: The 1954 Doris Day musical Love Me or Leave Me, which is based on the life and career of 190s... 5:30 AM
  • tiger1: Thanks for sharing, Zinka, really great singing – and the first time I have heard this cut... 4:30 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well sometimes those foreigners don’t want to be integrated. If you come to a... 4:28 AM
  • tiger1: There are LOADS of films about real crime stories, LMM. What about the family whose kid was taken by... 4:27 AM
  • tiger1: Well, not all of the column is dumb. I agree, for instance, that “The point is not that “The... 4:23 AM
  • La Cieca: So you’re advocating that Western countries should emulate Muslim theocracies? 4:20 AM
  • tiger1: Kashania, how did Sutherland and Bonynge know that the audience would prefer a too low lying... 4:15 AM
  • CwbyLA: Is this the best defense you can come up with Guestoria Unpopularenka? 3:40 AM
  • tancredipasero: Not quite the dumbest – google Mark Langfan – but it is really dumb. Choice,... 1:15 AM
  • tancredipasero: great typo, thanks!! I am pretty sure you meant “non-photoge nic” – the... 12:46 AM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.