• manou: In one of the Frasier episodes, Niles and Frasier had to do some very late night shopping for a... 7:13 PM
  • zinka: A few years ago I was contacted by the the cousin of a dear friend from the olden days. Shakeh... 7:12 PM
  • messa di voce: Singing and dancing: obviously not members of the Met chorus. Or the now non-existent ballet... 7:07 PM
  • MontyNostry: But the ROH’s Cherevichki at Xmas 2009 was a dispiriting farrago, even with Diadkova and... 6:25 PM
  • zinka: When Regina sang Sieglinde in 1953, Weiland Wagner asked why the”mezzo 221; was doing... 6:24 PM
  • armerjacquino: Fun piece from parterre ‘favourite&# 8217; Christine Rice: http://www.theg... 6:21 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=ukOM Dmzcs7s Comments to follow 6:21 PM
  • armerjacquino: I get that she gave a poor performance. But I still don’t understand why casting an... 6:14 PM
  • armerjacquino: Don’t know the Russian name, but ENO had a huge success years ago with a Rimsky Korsakov... 6:13 PM
  • operadunce: What would be your holiday recommendations? I’m curious. Amahl and the Night Visitors? If... 6:05 PM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.