• Feldmarschallin: Congratulations. Two people I know got tickets, one for the premiere and one for the second... 7:50 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Not to mention the piano G on ‘Rosn’ . 7:47 AM
  • tiger1: The opening phrase of the trio also contains a high B flat and should be very “floating 221;... 7:43 AM
  • Lohengrin: May be in Salzburg he was not as familiar as necassary withe Don Carlo…... 7:29 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well I heard Hampson as well live in Salzburg and thought he was horrible. Dry tone the... 7:00 AM
  • Lohengrin: Ich have seen DC livein Sakzburg. TH was in general a convincingly Posa, but his singing was... 6:31 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well in that Arabella it is a tie who is worse and it is also a tie who looks older. Not all... 4:26 AM
  • ML: He is past the end of his shelf life. Have you heard the Sony Don Carlo? 4:04 AM
  • m. croche: Also forthcoming. Reviews enclosed. Can you spot the JJ? httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=5... 2:27 AM
  • danpatter: Camille, I believe Beverly Sills’ recording of NORMA has “Casta diva” in G,... 10:47 PM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.