• grimoaldo: Yes we are interested Orion (some of us anyway) please report ( I hope manou will too)! 6:05 PM
  • grimoaldo: “CuirassR 21; is not a word you hear very often, it brings to my mind “This tight... 6:01 PM
  • Orion: Kashaniar, I read your comment with great interest, because I know that many people have the same... 5:58 PM
  • Stendhal: Your comment is a perfect example of ideological thinking that has become accepted as fact by... 5:54 PM
  • Cicciabella: She could take a fashion tip from Brünnhilde. This lovely cuirass only costs $525, peanuts for a... 5:16 PM
  • Orion: Not false Oedipe and Grimoaldo, when you are saying that European houses are proposing interesting and... 5:13 PM
  • Sanford: Nah. It’s cool. 5:06 PM
  • Camille: Severed? Like Anne Boleyn’s head? Hoping it was not a painful one and just a natural kind of... 5:05 PM
  • Sanford: Dell’arte and I have severed our relationship. But I’m singing chorus for Ballo with... 5:01 PM
  • Camille: Oh silly! She’s singing Marzelline on this one! Are you singing with Dell’Arte again... 4:59 PM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.