• siegmund: Westbroek has sung Isolde before, in Nov/Dec 2013 in Dresden and i think she had positive reviews. 2:33 PM
  • PCally: Interesting I wasn’t aware of this. I’m not really sure Isolde is a very good option for... 2:07 PM
  • PCally: Ivy I actually had never thought of that. She sang at Stuggart for years in all three Janacek parts,... 2:06 PM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: He was quite entrancing the one time I saw him live, which was as Wolfram, but I don’t... 2:05 PM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: I think that’s true Ivy – I’ve heard Westbroek give thrillingly secure... 2:02 PM
  • decotodd: I saw the operas at the HD on Saturday, and largely concur with JJ. The woman next to me had never... 2:00 PM
  • Hippolyte: Westbroek simply canceled the Isoldes at Bayreuth. She hasn’t dropped the role–she&... 1:39 PM
  • No Expert: I have loved Blegen’s version of this one for decades. httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=g... 1:28 PM
  • baridave: Puzzling performance: moments of real tonal beauty, with, IMHO, off-putting straight tone and going... 1:21 PM
  • Poison Ivy: another thing about EMW is that even though she only made her Met debut in 2011 she’s been... 1:17 PM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.