• DeepSouthSenior: Ouch! That picture looks like a rejected first design for Darth Vader’s helmet,... 7:06 AM
  • DeepSouthSenior: A very young Danielle de Niese sang Barbarina at the Met in 1998 with Fleming, Bartoli,... 6:49 AM
  • DeepSouthSenior: I like Keenlyside but can’t picture him as Rigoletto under any circumstances. By... 6:33 AM
  • mandryka: Never a great fan of AG, I saw her several times when her performances showed up on my... 6:25 AM
  • DeepSouthSenior: No, “antik … chick” (how do you abbreviate antikitschychick?) , the IMAX... 6:22 AM
  • mandryka: Speaking of wild nights at the opera, I haven’t seen Lois Kirschenbaum recently. For years,... 6:18 AM
  • manou: http://kurier.at/k ultur/buehne/krank er-rigoletto-musst e-aufgeben/103.850 .270 5:58 AM
  • Lohengrin: Non curo! from Incoronatione diPoppea ismy favorite! Another from Manon Lecaut: Donna non vidi... 3:40 AM
  • antikitschychick: LMAO this is hilarious zinka. Thanks for sharing :-). 3:31 AM
  • NPW-Paris: I tried some of my Italian learnt from Monteverdi’s Orfeo on Roman friends. It made them... 3:14 AM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.