• Sempre liberal: I have a CD of that concert. A young Deborah Voigt was superb. 5:20 PM
  • Lohengrin: There is a verynice story about a concert with Cleveland-Orchestr a, conducted by Welser –... 5:20 PM
  • Camille: O armerjay! Povero ragazzo! Did you ever write a short story about the horror of it all? shall never... 5:19 PM
  • kashania: Camille: Sorry, I forgot to clarify his Met role. Nireno is the eunuch in Giulio Cesare. Maniaci... 5:18 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=pSVy YtwI9F8 When I went to City Opera for GALVANY’s... 5:17 PM
  • Will: Mr. Maniaci sang a recital with orchestra at the Monadnock Festival last summer and was very well... 5:11 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=3kxq iuHu9Kw When I play this, I remember why I ran out of breath... 5:10 PM
  • Camille: That is a very good point, the one about the cross-dressing thing with Cherubino in the... 5:09 PM
  • kennedet: I am a native of Philadelphia, nalasal and I enjoyed viewing all of the operatic performances as a... 5:06 PM
  • Camille: OMG, zinky! I am shocked, SHOCKED you would advocate Tony “Never can sluff off enuf... 4:58 PM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.