• Cicciabella: Oh, I see. You were joking. Obviously I’m no good deprived of sleep. 9:27 AM
  • warmke: Well said. It’s been amazing the degree of risk one has felt by simply stating that one... 9:21 AM
  • Bill: Quanto – One is taken with the beauty of the score of much of Euryanthe as seen in the first... 9:17 AM
  • Cicciabella: Sounds like something Marschner would write. Any forgotten opera experts who can link Marschner... 9:13 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Born on this day in 1848 composer Robert Planquette httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=E... 8:58 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Here the whole Forza with Kaufmann for those who couldn’t see the ARTE transmission.... 8:31 AM
  • Archaeopteryx: She doesn’t sound more out of tune than Netrebko on an average basis, except the fact... 8:29 AM
  • Archaeopteryx: Oh yes and Vaccai’s “Giovanna Gray”, which is a stunning piece and which has... 8:24 AM
  • Archaeopteryx: Hutrah re 2). More obscure belcanto please!! The operas you list all sound wonderful but I... 8:21 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: Nice. Option B: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=6Hh- i6pRo9g 8:17 AM

Plying her trade

“Renowned soprano Renée Fleming demonstrates how she can treat a song like a mini-opera.”

Header photo: Andrew Eccles

The videos on the Rysanek collection on Youtube have some wonderful photos of Leonie, even though the audio tracks are well known.

I wish someone could find the Fidelio she did at La Scala in the 1970s, which has never been in circulation.

• Cicciabella says:

From the New Year’s concert at the Semperoper in Dresden:

• Porgy Amor says:

Klaus Florian Vogt’s English is excellent.

• tiger1dk says:

While Mr Vogt’s hair is HORRID -- look a bit like a bad copy of Ms Fleming’s… And his timbre is not really interesting -- difficult to imagine him singing the big Wagnerian part (he sounds more like a Basilio/Curzio or, on a good day, a Pedrillo than a Tristan). Well, maybe it is not fair to judge him based on just Tonight.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe? Do you think?

• tiger1dk says:

Well, now I also listened to Ein lied geht um der welt (or whatever his first solo is called). And I stand by my first judgment -- Mr Vogt sounds a bit like the tenors that would sing the second tenor in the EMI Anneliese Rothenberger -- Nicolai Gedda operetta recordings… Similar his stage demeanor. Sorry to be a bit harsh but I am not impressed.

There is no accounting for tastes: in voices, singing styles, dress styles, hair, sexiness, “bubbles”, you name it…

One thing I think we can agree on: Vogt’s English is much better than his Italian.

• Cicciabella says:

Also:

And, inevitably:

P.S. Renée looks gorgeous in emerald green.

• -Ed. says:

I was just teasing, I’m actually quite the Fleming fan. I just bought a ticket to attend her recital next month here in Pittsburgh. I couldn’t resist joining La and her little witticism regarding that tire gown (plying her trade. get it? ply. tire.)
    And I never pass up an opportunity to mock Bjork.