• No Expert: Unfortunately many listeners have come to believe that the auto tuned voice is what the human voice is supposed to sound like... 11:19 AM
  • redbear: I never get an answer to this one question. Why is Bondy’s production of Tosca not artistically valid? Americans who speak... 11:13 AM
  • armerjacquino: I have the OCR of the recent Broadway revival of PROMISES, PROMISES. Gorgeous score but the recording is ruined by the... 10:22 AM
  • armerjacquino: Ha, brilliant, williams! Call off the search, we’ve found the joke. 7:37 AM
  • tiger1: I am sure you have – and I should not just have focused on this small lapse but also thanked you for a good review. Sorry. 6:49 AM
  • thenoctambulist: Well, I hear so much of maestro’s works that it hardly leaves me any time for anybody else. I can hardly make... 3:46 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: Thank you, Porgy, for being so kind. After I had posted I realized there was more than one poster here with a handle that... 1:55 AM
  • Cicciabella: Thanks, Ed. Everytime I see Callas on video it reinforces how much expression she put in the voice. You can see that she is... 1:43 AM

“Where are my marrons glacés?”

Take a break from eating sweets, cher public, to participate in this week’s discussion of off-topic and general interest subjects.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Did anyone attend the Rheingold in Rome with Petrenko conducting? He got a rave review in the SZ today.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Sawallisch on the radio now talking about his career. Bayern 4 Klassik.

Didn’t anyone attend the CAROUSEL last night?

Before I plunk down the pesos for this one, I want to hear something about it………

• bluecabochon says:

Camille, check out opera-l for reviews on that Carousel. I wasn’t planning to go but now….

• zinka says:

Die Marschallin needs to look in the mirror and see that her heart is in her ass…..
    Lucine and others who are older are not at the Met. Mme.Feldmarschallin needs a lesson in humanity.

• zinka says:

More Lucine,for her 88th birthday on March 1.Here she is only a baby at 70. This clip is for only people who appreciate “nostalgia.” Da geht er hin….

• WindyCityOperaman says:

I won’t bother with a b’day tribute for serene Lucine on the 1st as Zinka has already done the honors. I do recall an Opera Quarterly interview they did with her about a decade ago in which she outlined her career as the Met’s “cover” soprano -- someone who was always ready to jump in and perform any number of roles with class, versatility and style. If you tuned in and happened to notice that Martina or Evelyn was ill, Lucine did more than a creditable job and you it was great. Shame on the Met when her anniversary broadcast of Mimi was coming up, covered in Opera News and everything, and then Caballe decides she wants to do it and poor Lucine was left with nothing.

• rapt says:

I was one of those habitually disappointed when Lucine jumped in for a broadcast--but the only time I heard her live, at a Wolf Trap Nozze, I was blown away by the beauty of her Countess. Apparently her Ariadne was well-received at Glyndebourne, which makes me wonder if she was really a Mozart-Strauss soprano stuck in the wrong fach.

• steveac10 says:

Her fach was whatever Bing told her it was on any given day. She just sang what she was told to. I saw her live several times with the Met spring tour -- where she was ubiquitous. I don’t think I ever heard her emit a less than pretty sound, but she was not a gripping artist by any means. The overall quality of the house singers of the Bing era really was pretty amazing -- and there were a lot of them.

• peter says:

I heard Amara live in a Met Forza in the early 80′s as a substitute for Bumbry, I think. I remember the moans and groans from the audience when the announcement was made but she really sang wonderfully that night and her Pace Pace was flawless.

• m. croche says:

If I’ve got my Parterre pseudonyms right, then some congratulations are in order for occasional commenter “Zwölftöner”, whose blog “Von Heute auf Morgen” got a nice mention in the New York Times today.

• rysanekfreak says:

Can someone here please tell me the title of the ETA Hoffmann story in which a man gets out of bed and discovers that his bedroom door leads into an opera house?

(This story is mentioned, but not by name, in a review of the French film “Holy Motors,” and I would like to read it.)

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

Though I know it is a blasphemy to say so, I must confess I have never been a great fan of Marian Anderson’s voice. Nonetheless it is her birthday and she deserves all honors and glories.

I’ve never been a huge fan of Anderson’s voice either. I think it’s because she had such a bright tone and I prefer a darker colour for deep female voices (altos, mezzos, dramatic sopranos). Still, whenever I hear her version of Schubert’s “Ave Maria”, I think that it couldn’t possibly be bettered:

• rapt says:

Thanks so much for posting this, Kashania. I’m also not a fan, though I haven’t heard that much of hers. But I do think this rendition was great--unmannered yet conveying personality not to mention technique.

• la vociaccia says:

Happy Birthday to a very important opera fan: Frédéric Chopin

• Buster says:

Listening to Hilde Konetzni in Bettelstudent, what a joyous performance, just bubbling with life. She must have been in her sixties when this was recorded. Hilde Gueden is wonderful too:

• zinka says:

The Met will commemorate the bicentennials of Verdi and Wagner with two
    exclusive box sets of historic Met performances, released by Sony
    Classical. Each set will feature legendary performances from the Met’s
    archives, most never before officially released and all newly restored and
    mastered from the original sources. *Wagner at the Met, *a 25-CD set, will

Tucker, and Warren in *La Forza del Destino *(1952); Renata Tebaldi in *La
    Traviata *(1957); Mario Del Monaco, Victoria de los Angeles, and Warren in *
    Otello *(1958); Erich Leinsdorf conducting Leonie Rysanek and Warren in *
    Macbeth *(1959); Rysanek and Cornell MacNeil in *Nabucco *(1960); and
    Leontyne Price, Grace Bumbry, Carlo Bergonzi, and Robert Merrill in *Aida *

• Buster says:

Thanks! I would have preferred the Melchior, Lawrence Lehmann, Schorr Walkure, but that was taped in Boston:

I own the 1937 and 1941 Flagstad/Melchior Met Tristans, and have heard ’38 on the internet -- 37 Bodanzky is my favorite still.

No Schorr Meistersinger? 1939 is in great sound, with the great Charles Kullman as Walther. Schoffler in 1951 sounds a little late to me.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Ja, ich werde meine erste Fiordiligi in Zürich singen, bisher habe ich ja nur die Elettra und die Donna Anna in meinem Repertoire, aber ich werde 2017 die Donna Elvira an der Met machen, und darauf freue ich mich besonders,

so Marina Rebeka in the Merker today….just in case Brad is taking notes.

• Buster says:

Finally, all of Edda Moser’s Lied and opera recitals in a handsome 10-CD box. Most of it never issued before on CD:

• Feldmarschallin says:

Thanks Buster. MUST get that. Alone worth it for the Mozart concert arias.

• m. croche says:

Just Discovered -

Parsifal, the Prequel: Missing Footage Proves Kundry and Flower-Maidens Wounded Amfortas

This just in feom OONY: Maestro Eve Queler’s husband Stanley has passed away and they are satablishing a fund in his memory for contributions. FYI & FWIW.

• WindyCityOperaman says: