• armerjacquino: Well, there you go. If a few mics mean you can dismiss a whole genre (complete with dismissive quote marks round the word... 4:38 PM
  • Krunoslav: I am aware that many divas back then changed their birth years ( Albanese, Kirsten, Steber, Verrett) and am aware of the... 4:33 PM
  • grimoaldo: Well, yes, I do realise that the actors singing into mikes at musicals” are real live people. I don’t like anything... 3:59 PM
  • RosinaLeckermaul: In the 90s there was a fine John Caird production at the National in London with Daniel Evans and Simon Russell Beale. 3:50 PM
  • armerjacquino: If I want to listen to something amplified through speakers I can stay at home You do know that what’s being... 3:30 PM
  • Dawn Fatale: Hal Prince turns 89 next year. I was genuinely surprised to see he was taking on new productions. One other thing worth... 3:27 PM
  • grimoaldo: “Sounds like a very impressive season.” Yes it does. All best wishes for a successful relaunch of NYCO! 3:26 PM
  • grimoaldo: I can’t stand that either, it is the major reason why I don’t like “musicals 221;. If I want to listen to... 3:24 PM

Hot ticket

La Cieca invites the cher public (all of you!) to engage in the weekly ritual of discussion of off-topic and general interest subjects.

• 61
    marshiemarkII says:

For those so inclined, at the Morgan Library on Sunday at 4:30, the glorious Emalie Savoy accompanied by the sublime Ken Noda on the piano, and also including Anthony Dean Giffrey:

Not to be missed!

• 62
    zinka says:

Rest in peace and i hope you can now get along better with Franco….

• 63
    Signor Bruschino says:

Forgive if this has been discussed already (if so i must have missed it) but noticed Teatro Liceu’s new production of Contes d’Hoffman (the one that SF Opera has in the summer) opens next month, and Dessay is not doing all 3 heroines there, only Antonia… When is SF going to announce that she isn’t doing all 3 there?

• 63.1
      Feldmarschallin says:

Perhaps when a few more tickets have been sold…

• 63.2
      oedipe says:

Yes, this has been discussed before at some length.
      It is highly unlikely that Dessay will be singing the 3 roles in SF, of course, since she has cancelled similar assignments at Pleyel in Paris and at the Liceu. I have no insight into the SFO management’s plans, but I suggest they get on the phone with Sonya Yoncheva’s agent FAST (if they haven’t already done so).

• 63.2.1
        Signor Bruschino says:

Thanks Oedipe- I am in SF on at a convention and bought tickets, so its not like I made a trip specifically for it, but since she already has made her decision in a sense not to do all 4 heroines, it seems very foolish to avoid the obvious, especially since there will be of this new production opens in Barcelona on 2/4, 3 weeks from now- and its not like they are hiding the truth…

• 64