• antikitschychick: This is awesome; thanks for the heads up Liz :-). Also, meant to mention in my previous comment that J&O’s... 11:44 PM
  • Krunoslav: “Gheorghiu’s upcoming Australian concerts seem to include her first live performance of Sola Perduta Abbandonata —... 11:43 PM
  • Liz.S: Did anybody already mention that Enescu Festival is streaming live on their home page – festivalenescu.ro? This weekend, we... 10:33 PM
  • antikitschychick: thanks for the link Cieca; I listened to some excerpts and while we certainly get some lovely & virile singing from... 10:04 PM
  • antikitschychick: correction: she did take a break after the first aria and the orchestra played the intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana.... 9:16 PM
  • m. croche: Heartwarming news: Meredith Monk, composer of the opera “Atlas” ;, dancer, choreographer, composer, and filmmaker,... 8:59 PM
  • antikitschychick: hey Camille, sorry for the late reply; had a long day lol. I was planning on renting binoculars since it’s only 5... 8:32 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: This is a treat to run in the background http://mariinsky.t v/n/ 7:38 PM

Shirley Verrett 1931-2010

shirley_verrettLa Cieca has just heard that magnificent American mezzo-soprano and, later, soprano Shirley Verrett died earlier today. She was 79.

• Lucky Pierre says:

i was wondering if anyone would know of an address to send cards to, maybe in care of the university or the lomonacos?

This video is fascinating. Does anyone know the provenance of the Aida Jusgment Scene at the end of the clip? There are 4 unfortuante bloopers in it that didn’t phase Shirley one bit. I wonder if it was ever broadcast this way. See if you can spot them.

• SilvestriWoman says:

I’m surprised no one has posted this rare treasure. Just stumbled on it at YouTube -- the most crushingly exquisite Liebestod I’ve ever heard. (And, yes, I saw Nilsson live in the mid-70s…) The voice is ravishing but her face expresses so much more…

• Often admonished says:

total diva performance! thanks for that.

has anybody mentioned what an impeccably accuarte Presiosilla she is on the RCA/Schippers Forza? every trill a diamond.

• This performance is so much more emotionally resonant than either Norman or Nilsson’s celebrated renditions. I feel she handles the multiple climaxes with incredible taste. This is a wonderful collab with Mehta and I love how pissed he is at the audience’s lack of appreciation. He is hypnotized during the performance as am I.

• Tamerlano says:

That final “lust” is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever heard. And I love the amazing lack of diva affect. Just a person standing before us pouring their heart out. Even her dress is understated. What a gorgeous and expressive face she had, too.

• Lucky Pierre says:

thanks, imelda. i wanted to send an actual card via post, so i’ll see if i can find a mailing address. but i’ll sign the online one as well. thank you.

• luvtennis says:

What a great singer she was!

Her Eboli was nonpareil -- Bumbry was great, but Shirley CRUSHED that role, everything from the delicate tracery of the Veil Song to that world-shattering Fatale!

My first experience with her, like many, was on the RCA recordings with Price -- Ballo, Forza -- the singing was glorious even in that glorious company. The Orsini on the Caballe Lucrezia was also an early stunner.

Though my strong preference is for a soprano Lady, her performances of the role under Abbado were near-definitive, certainly the finest mezzo Lady I can recall.

To top it off, she was a fabulous beauty.

My goodness, all this death makes me want to emphasize the positive.

Was 1918-1938 the greatest 20 year stretch for great singers in HISTORY or what???!?!?!?!

Was there a series of solar flares? Something in the water?

Just a partial list of sopranos only -- Nilsson, Grob-Prandl, Varnay, Tebaldi, Callas, Sutherland, Price, Caballe, Freni, Janowitz, Sills.

Amazing then -- scary sad now as they are all leaving us.

For all admirers of Shirley Verrett: her ‘l’Assedio di Corinto’ performances will once more be featured on Sirius this week, starting today @ 3pm EDT.