• armerjacquino: It was indeed a delightful post. (I don’t like quarreling. Only an idiot likes quarreling. Saying so will doubtless... 5:09 PM
  • antikitschychick: Cicciabella, for posting that review I thank you. (Also, email you about my spring break trip I must! Amsterdam... 5:09 PM
  • grimoaldo: hahaha Particularly interested in this debate I am not but most entertained by this post I certainly was, delightfully written... 5:04 PM
  • antikitschychick: Armerj, smart and righteous you are but taking what I said to the extreme you are because like to quarrel you do ;-).... 4:56 PM
  • Porgy Amor: No, the unnamed, puny-sounding Manrico on Netrebko’s DVD of Trovatore is Gaston Rivero. He stepped in late, so there was... 4:38 PM
  • kekszakallu: Catherine Foster was born about 2 miles away from where I live, so when I saw her in the Ring cycle in Amsterdam a couple of... 4:16 PM
  • Cicciabella: Brandon Jovanovich is also a very good Cavaradossi. Eyvazov is hardly the only game in town, although sound spinto tenors are... 4:09 PM
  • armerjacquino: Well, it could be argued that having to mention two tenors who by your own admission don’t sing the role would... 3:31 PM

Shirley Verrett 1931-2010

shirley_verrettLa Cieca has just heard that magnificent American mezzo-soprano and, later, soprano Shirley Verrett died earlier today. She was 79.

• 61
    Lucky Pierre says:

i was wondering if anyone would know of an address to send cards to, maybe in care of the university or the lomonacos?

• 62
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

This video is fascinating. Does anyone know the provenance of the Aida Jusgment Scene at the end of the clip? There are 4 unfortuante bloopers in it that didn’t phase Shirley one bit. I wonder if it was ever broadcast this way. See if you can spot them.

• 63
    SilvestriWoman says:

I’m surprised no one has posted this rare treasure. Just stumbled on it at YouTube -- the most crushingly exquisite Liebestod I’ve ever heard. (And, yes, I saw Nilsson live in the mid-70s…) The voice is ravishing but her face expresses so much more…

• 63.1
      Often admonished says:

total diva performance! thanks for that.

has anybody mentioned what an impeccably accuarte Presiosilla she is on the RCA/Schippers Forza? every trill a diamond.

• 63.2

This performance is so much more emotionally resonant than either Norman or Nilsson’s celebrated renditions. I feel she handles the multiple climaxes with incredible taste. This is a wonderful collab with Mehta and I love how pissed he is at the audience’s lack of appreciation. He is hypnotized during the performance as am I.

• 63.3
      Tamerlano says:

That final “lust” is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever heard. And I love the amazing lack of diva affect. Just a person standing before us pouring their heart out. Even her dress is understated. What a gorgeous and expressive face she had, too.

• 64
  • 65
    Lucky Pierre says:

thanks, imelda. i wanted to send an actual card via post, so i’ll see if i can find a mailing address. but i’ll sign the online one as well. thank you.

• 66
    luvtennis says:

What a great singer she was!

Her Eboli was nonpareil -- Bumbry was great, but Shirley CRUSHED that role, everything from the delicate tracery of the Veil Song to that world-shattering Fatale!

My first experience with her, like many, was on the RCA recordings with Price -- Ballo, Forza -- the singing was glorious even in that glorious company. The Orsini on the Caballe Lucrezia was also an early stunner.

Though my strong preference is for a soprano Lady, her performances of the role under Abbado were near-definitive, certainly the finest mezzo Lady I can recall.

To top it off, she was a fabulous beauty.

My goodness, all this death makes me want to emphasize the positive.

Was 1918-1938 the greatest 20 year stretch for great singers in HISTORY or what???!?!?!?!

Was there a series of solar flares? Something in the water?

Just a partial list of sopranos only -- Nilsson, Grob-Prandl, Varnay, Tebaldi, Callas, Sutherland, Price, Caballe, Freni, Janowitz, Sills.

Amazing then -- scary sad now as they are all leaving us.

• 67
    Camille says:

For all admirers of Shirley Verrett: her ‘l’Assedio di Corinto’ performances will once more be featured on Sirius this week, starting today @ 3pm EDT.