• Ilka Saro: I remember watching Westbroek a few years ago as Sieglinde. During the whole long duet at the end... 6:53 AM
  • Buster: Frankfurt 15-6 looks great: http://www.oper-fr ankfurt.de/de/page 1019.cfm 5:13 AM
  • Krunoslav: For that matter, Richard Tucker himself was hardly an artist of the consequence of Edgar Evans or... 12:32 AM
  • Krunoslav: “the excellent Marjorie Owens, soon to be Norma at ENO” Owens did well at the Met as... 12:24 AM
  • Bill: PCally – Benackova was truly radiant as Elisabeth and I saw Jones do it several times in Vienna... 12:20 AM
  • Satisfied: My favorite line: Knowing that Ms. Damrau was sick, Dr. Cho expected she would not kiss her... 10:45 PM
  • PCally: Unfortunately I’ve never seen any of those ladies live but Jones and Studer (I can’t... 9:25 PM
  • Poison Ivy: One thing EMW does have that will work in her favor is a naturally sympathetic, warm stage... 9:07 PM
  • Bill: Westbroek may have the prerequisite volume for Elisabeth, but the persistent wobble absolutely turns me... 8:52 PM
  • PCally: I think Elisabeth is actually the right way for her to go. It’s not a very loud role and sits... 8:04 PM

The return of Unnatural Acts of Opera

la_cieca_singsAfter years (or was it months) wandering der Irrnis und der Leiden Pfade, La Cieca has returned to the broadcast booth for another episode of Unnatural Acts of Opera.

The return of Unnatural Acts of Opera

• UnaMacchia says:

Mille grazie cara Cieca!

• BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

YAY !

• BelCantoDiva says:

Just listened to this awesome recording! As this is my favorite opera, and the Met recroding with Callas caught her on a bad day, I can’t wait to hear acts 2 and 3! Keep the baritones, but every nuance of Callas’ voice is delicious. And DiSteffano ain’t chopped liver either!

More please,La Cieca!

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Thanks for the La Scala bonus, too, La C -- what a treat!

• chicagokok says:

This must be the BJR LP edition of this performance. It is the best sounding issue of this performance to date.

• marshiemarkII says:

Oh my God Chicagokok what memories you bring. I used to have those BJR LPs also with that wonderful cover :-) , and when I got rid of my LP player I gave all my LPs to a library. How sorry I was later, as I eventually bought 4 different CD versions, and all have the awful glare and distorion in the Mad Scene. The Verona seems to be the less prominent, but it has other flaws. Did it ever come out on CD a good version without the distortion? it’s been many years since I heard this, but I wouldn’t mind having the “perfect” version if it ever existed. It is a GRAND performance of course!

• chicagokok says:

Boy did you make a huge mistake! I just recently started to collect the BJR LPs of Callas performances and this LUCIA was a revelation to me. The recording is so superb; I had the awful EMI version all these years, and just did not know better.

BJR’s master tapes and discs of all their Callas related stuff went to Pablo Berruti of Divina Records. He plans to release all the material on CD. He just released the BJR Bolena in July. God knows when he will get around to releasing the rest, but at least they are in good hands I think.

• richard says:

BJR’s releases were terrific. The rival outfit, MRF had a greater variety but there quality was definitely inferior to BJR.

Back in the early 70s Santiago Rodriguez, the “R” in BJR would hand out his LP lists on the Met standing room lines on Sunday mornings. I can remember groups going to his Manhattan apartment after we got our standing room tickets and buying the latest releases. My favorite of all was the Callas Anna Bolena.

Rodriguez was a huge Caballe fan and he played for us his release of Caballe in her AOS performance of La Straniera from a few years earlier. I knew nothing about the opera but after he played Caballe entrance as Alaide, I was sold and bought the set.

I guess it’s fitting that his masters went to Berruti, who seems to take greater pains to achieve maximum quality than maybe anyone other than Ward Marston. But has Berruti branched out into releases other than Callas material?

• marshiemarkII says:

Thanks for the info on DIVINA Records!

• chicagokok says:

You’re welcome!

Richard: As far as I know Berruti only does Callas material, so that begs the question where did all the other (non Callas) material that belonged to him go? He died last year, so it must be somewhere in NY would be my guess.

• powwowdancer says:

Thank you so much!

Oh, it’s nice to hear Milton’s voice again.