• Bill: Goerke was quite good as Iphigenia (Taurus) at the City Opera quite a few years back – the voice is not a gorgeous voice but... 4:18 PM
  • Cicciabella: Thanks for this upload, Jungfer. I hope Gheorghiu was having a bad night, because in both arias she sounds out of breath, the... 3:57 PM
  • Cicciabella: Love reading the exigent S. Jay-Taylor. From his review of the Glyndebourne at the Proms Entführung: ‘Of course, like... 3:16 PM
  • Ilka Saro: Thanks a million for the Michele Molese Hoffmann clip! I saw that Hoffmann on TV when I was 13 or 14, and became nutty for the... 3:13 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: ATTENTION GHEORGHIU FANS: her performance of two Verdi arias at the Grafenegg Festival tonight (29 August)... 2:08 PM
  • zinka: https://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=2vlD 3sK-O8o Are you as abnormal as I am to go NUTS at 3:15 on Magda’s “MUUUUUUU... 1:44 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: I thought Goerke was excellent as Brünnhilde in Die Walkure at Houston Grand Opera this year. The vocal problems... 1:24 PM
  • manou: I am sorry La C – I did not realize you had uploaded the whole performance. But I am thrilled at the idea that you could be... 1:12 PM

The return of Unnatural Acts of Opera

la_cieca_singsAfter years (or was it months) wandering der Irrnis und der Leiden Pfade, La Cieca has returned to the broadcast booth for another episode of Unnatural Acts of Opera.

The return of Unnatural Acts of Opera

• UnaMacchia says:

Mille grazie cara Cieca!

• BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

YAY !

• BelCantoDiva says:

Just listened to this awesome recording! As this is my favorite opera, and the Met recroding with Callas caught her on a bad day, I can’t wait to hear acts 2 and 3! Keep the baritones, but every nuance of Callas’ voice is delicious. And DiSteffano ain’t chopped liver either!

More please,La Cieca!

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Thanks for the La Scala bonus, too, La C -- what a treat!

• chicagokok says:

This must be the BJR LP edition of this performance. It is the best sounding issue of this performance to date.

• marshiemarkII says:

Oh my God Chicagokok what memories you bring. I used to have those BJR LPs also with that wonderful cover :-) , and when I got rid of my LP player I gave all my LPs to a library. How sorry I was later, as I eventually bought 4 different CD versions, and all have the awful glare and distorion in the Mad Scene. The Verona seems to be the less prominent, but it has other flaws. Did it ever come out on CD a good version without the distortion? it’s been many years since I heard this, but I wouldn’t mind having the “perfect” version if it ever existed. It is a GRAND performance of course!

• chicagokok says:

Boy did you make a huge mistake! I just recently started to collect the BJR LPs of Callas performances and this LUCIA was a revelation to me. The recording is so superb; I had the awful EMI version all these years, and just did not know better.

BJR’s master tapes and discs of all their Callas related stuff went to Pablo Berruti of Divina Records. He plans to release all the material on CD. He just released the BJR Bolena in July. God knows when he will get around to releasing the rest, but at least they are in good hands I think.

• richard says:

BJR’s releases were terrific. The rival outfit, MRF had a greater variety but there quality was definitely inferior to BJR.

Back in the early 70s Santiago Rodriguez, the “R” in BJR would hand out his LP lists on the Met standing room lines on Sunday mornings. I can remember groups going to his Manhattan apartment after we got our standing room tickets and buying the latest releases. My favorite of all was the Callas Anna Bolena.

Rodriguez was a huge Caballe fan and he played for us his release of Caballe in her AOS performance of La Straniera from a few years earlier. I knew nothing about the opera but after he played Caballe entrance as Alaide, I was sold and bought the set.

I guess it’s fitting that his masters went to Berruti, who seems to take greater pains to achieve maximum quality than maybe anyone other than Ward Marston. But has Berruti branched out into releases other than Callas material?

• marshiemarkII says:

Thanks for the info on DIVINA Records!

• chicagokok says:

You’re welcome!

Richard: As far as I know Berruti only does Callas material, so that begs the question where did all the other (non Callas) material that belonged to him go? He died last year, so it must be somewhere in NY would be my guess.

• powwowdancer says:

Thank you so much!

Oh, it’s nice to hear Milton’s voice again.