• antikitschychick: Thanks for the info Lohenfal. I think I will try and get student rush tix as Marshie suggested but I’ll call the... 12:29 AM
  • Lohenfal: Anti, there are a few seats left in the Family Circle for Mar. 5. Actually, there are quite a lot of more expensive seats... 12:17 AM
  • Constantine A. Papas: Why Netrebko cancel? Did she get sic? 11:59 PM
  • steveac10: Would I like to see Charles Castronovo or Alek Shrader sing Tamino in their boxers (or let’s go for broke, tighty... 11:25 PM
  • antikitschychick: Yesss I’m going to try and catch it on March 5th since I will be in NY for a moot court competition :-).... 10:53 PM
  • DerLeiermann: I admit I wouldn’t mind stripping some Taminos down to their boxers… regularly or otherwise. 10:44 PM
  • marshiemarkII: Ciao manoucee, mille grazie, unfortunately they did not include the divine Sei tu che piangi, I am obsessed, I must have... 8:55 PM
  • marshiemarkII: Nice to hear from you chikita querida! Oh you must see it in the house, forget about HD, she must be heard live!, one of... 8:43 PM

The return of Unnatural Acts of Opera

la_cieca_singsAfter years (or was it months) wandering der Irrnis und der Leiden Pfade, La Cieca has returned to the broadcast booth for another episode of Unnatural Acts of Opera.

The return of Unnatural Acts of Opera

• UnaMacchia says:

Mille grazie cara Cieca!

• BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

YAY !

• BelCantoDiva says:

Just listened to this awesome recording! As this is my favorite opera, and the Met recroding with Callas caught her on a bad day, I can’t wait to hear acts 2 and 3! Keep the baritones, but every nuance of Callas’ voice is delicious. And DiSteffano ain’t chopped liver either!

More please,La Cieca!

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Thanks for the La Scala bonus, too, La C -- what a treat!

• chicagokok says:

This must be the BJR LP edition of this performance. It is the best sounding issue of this performance to date.

• marshiemarkII says:

Oh my God Chicagokok what memories you bring. I used to have those BJR LPs also with that wonderful cover :-), and when I got rid of my LP player I gave all my LPs to a library. How sorry I was later, as I eventually bought 4 different CD versions, and all have the awful glare and distorion in the Mad Scene. The Verona seems to be the less prominent, but it has other flaws. Did it ever come out on CD a good version without the distortion? it’s been many years since I heard this, but I wouldn’t mind having the “perfect” version if it ever existed. It is a GRAND performance of course!

• chicagokok says:

Boy did you make a huge mistake! I just recently started to collect the BJR LPs of Callas performances and this LUCIA was a revelation to me. The recording is so superb; I had the awful EMI version all these years, and just did not know better.

BJR’s master tapes and discs of all their Callas related stuff went to Pablo Berruti of Divina Records. He plans to release all the material on CD. He just released the BJR Bolena in July. God knows when he will get around to releasing the rest, but at least they are in good hands I think.

• richard says:

BJR’s releases were terrific. The rival outfit, MRF had a greater variety but there quality was definitely inferior to BJR.

Back in the early 70s Santiago Rodriguez, the “R” in BJR would hand out his LP lists on the Met standing room lines on Sunday mornings. I can remember groups going to his Manhattan apartment after we got our standing room tickets and buying the latest releases. My favorite of all was the Callas Anna Bolena.

Rodriguez was a huge Caballe fan and he played for us his release of Caballe in her AOS performance of La Straniera from a few years earlier. I knew nothing about the opera but after he played Caballe entrance as Alaide, I was sold and bought the set.

I guess it’s fitting that his masters went to Berruti, who seems to take greater pains to achieve maximum quality than maybe anyone other than Ward Marston. But has Berruti branched out into releases other than Callas material?

• marshiemarkII says:

Thanks for the info on DIVINA Records!

• chicagokok says:

You’re welcome!

Richard: As far as I know Berruti only does Callas material, so that begs the question where did all the other (non Callas) material that belonged to him go? He died last year, so it must be somewhere in NY would be my guess.

• powwowdancer says:

Thank you so much!

Oh, it’s nice to hear Milton’s voice again.