• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Cami, the complete “Wuthering Heights” is on my Mixcloud page at https://www.mix... 10:34 PM
  • Sempre liberal: Excellent review. I went this weekend to Don Carlo and Jenufa. Mattila was superb, and she dominated Act II like that... 10:06 PM
  • Operngasse: In the Heeresgeschichtlic hes Museum (military history museum) in Vienna there is an exhibit devoted to Sarajevo. Of prime... 10:05 PM
  • Porgy Amor: +1. Fanciulla and the short operas of Il trittico, especially Schicchi, are the best of Puccini to me. 7:44 PM
  • Will: No, not to all of us. There are marvelous things in Fanciulla; many critics and musicologists have commented on its merits and a... 7:39 PM
  • gustave of montreal: « greatest of all Puccini scores » is a surprise to all of us. 7:21 PM
  • Camille: All the Bernard Herrmann one could ever ask for or want: httpv://youtube.co m/watch?v=9uIEIelz _SM About halfway through you may... 6:52 PM
  • Camille: Oh, I just notice Le Mage! That one is a fave of Mr Belfagor and we have had a little discussion at some point in time. I... 5:52 PM

Ye gods and little fishes

On this day in 1893 Verdi’s Falstaff premiered in Milan.

Born on this day in 1885 composer Alban Berg.

Born on this day in 1928 bass-baritone Franz Crass.

Born on this day in 1937 soprano Hildegard Behrens.

Happy 75th birthday baritone Wolfgang Schöne.

Happy 74th birthday singer songwriter Carole King.

Happy 72nd birthday tenor Ryland Davies.

Born on this day in 1953 soprano Kaaren Erickson.

• 1
    WindyCityOperaman says:

• 2
    JohninSeattle says:

I love this moment in FALSTAFF. Mille grazie, Windy

• 2.1
      Donna Anna says:

JIS:
      My favorite part of the opera, too, and one of my favorites--tutti gabbati with the house lights up.
      And JL is in his prime.

• 3
    gustave of montreal says:

And I love the short clip from LULU , need some more.

• 4
    m. croche says:

Raising a glass to Alban Berg:

• 5
    redbear says:

And on this day, today, I read that Sofia Coppola will stage Traviata in Rome next season.

• 5.1
      antikitschychick says:

haha touche redbear. That is certainly exciting and interesting news! Thanks to the poster that shared it.

• 5.1.1
        redbear says:

I may have come in second, but the other guy came in next to last!

• 5.1.1.1
          redbear says:

Just found more on this in the Guardian. A commenter mentioned that the last time we saw her at the opera, she was shot on the steps at the end of the opera and he hopes it goes better the next time.

• 6
    m. croche says:

Not sure whether anybody has yet mentioned the Lunar New Year. If not, to celebrate the Year of the Monkey, I’ll share “The Great Spirit Charges Heaven”, depicting the Monkey King’s early days in the Water Curtain Cave, his rowdy escapades in heaven, stealing peaches and getting drunk, and his eventual subjugation by the Buddha. The great Zhan Lei stars

• 6.1
      manou says:

I am a Monkey!

• 6.1.1
        m. croche says:

Though I now possess a bearish exterior, I, too, am a brother of Sun Wukong.

• 6.1.2
        phoenix says:

manou, you are a monkey, too? if you are a wood monkey, you were born the same year I was

• 6.1.2.1
          manou says:

I’m afraid I don’t know whether I am a wood monkey or not -- I think Croche, you and I should just climb a tree and eat bananas,

• phoenix says:

This is a year of the Fire Monkey -- not so good for world politics. Monkey years:
            --> Metal Monkey – Years 1920 and 1980
            Metal Monkeys are determined and ambitious individuals and as a result, they’re often successful. Although they’re considered warm-hearted and very likeable, their preference in life is to be alone. Metal Monkeys are loyal to both their employers and their partners.
            --> Water Monkey – Years 1932 and 1992
            Water Monkeys are extremely sensitive and often feel hurt by the things that are said to them. They refuse to show their sensitive side to others and as a result, are extreme jokesters. If they can stay focused, they can succeed, but more often than not, they’re easily distracted from their goals.
            --> Wood Monkey – Years 1944 and 2004
            The Wood Monkey’s exceptional communication skills enable them to interact well with others. They’re hard workers who have a keen understanding of the way things operate.
            --> Fire Monkey – Years 1956 and 2016
            Full of strength and determination, Fire Monkeys are excellent at not only setting goals, but in meeting them as well. Others enjoy being in the company of Fire Monkeys, even though these Monkeys want the upper hand in every situation.

• 7
    • 7.1
      Lohengrin says:

The whole saison 2016/2017 is online now operadeparis.fr, including Anja´s Tosca, Jonas´Hoffmann and Lohengrin.

• 7.1.1
        grimoaldo says:

Cavalli’s Eliogabalo with Nadine Sierra, wow, how interesting and wonderful
        Carmen with Alagna!

• 7.1.1.1
          grimoaldo says:

Also glad to see Pretty Yende scheduled for Lucia, saw her in the part in Berlin, she was lovely, and Stuart Skelton as Lohengrin, he is tremendous, it seems a pity in a way they are not doing those parts in the US as far as I know though

• 7.1.1.2
          manou says:

Alagna will also sing Carmen on the Place de la Bastille on July 16.

• 7.1.2
        Krunoslav says:

‘Anja´s Tosca’

Ganz! Bet she can still rock the groovy dress!

• 7.1.2.1
          armerjacquino says:

That is the best thing I have ever seen.

• 7.1.2.2
          PCally says:

Is it odd that I want to track this recording down solely for the cover (the last thing I would want is to actually listen to Silja sing Tosca)?

• 8
    umangialaio says:

Jonas will debut Hoffman in November!

U

• 9
    umangialaio says:

Jonas will debut Hoffmann in November!

U