• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: mjmacmtenor: Wow. I don’t do Facebook (or any other social networking)... 11:23 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: Big Klinghoffer demonstration in the Dante square, lots of people, much more than the anti... 11:16 PM
  • mjmacmtenor: I was reading an article on the Met’s Figaro. It commented on the youth of the Countess... 10:42 PM
  • mjmacmtenor: I was checking out a post on Facebook with an article about the Figaro opening night. I was... 10:34 PM
  • Rackon: Met live stream worked fine for me via Chrome on my android. 10:27 PM
  • pasavant: Lots of Klinghoffer tickets still available on the Met website despite the heavily discounted... 9:45 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I just picked up my tickets for the season at Theater an der Wien (spectacular... 9:44 PM
  • Uncle Kvetch: Mais il n’y a pas de quoi. I for one thought this was a most auspicious start to the new... 9:37 PM
  • aulus agerius: Washington Concert Opera has announced Nicole Cabel as Giulietta in Montecchi this weekend. I... 9:25 PM
  • DonCarloFanatic: Agreed. Very fine singing but totally dull production. Pretty much put me off ever seeing... 9:22 PM

Belt, tightened

Following all-night bargaining with the Met, AGMA and Local 802 “have agreed to cut a little more than 5% of their members’ compensation during the first year of the four-year contract, growing to 7% in the second and third years,” say those familiar with the negotiations. (Note correction, recently updated in the Crain’s article linked.) [Crain's New York Business]

We were talking about Levine’s silence on this whole episode. I wonder if he would give this kind of interview today…

In it, he not only talks about 1980-81 labour dispute but also talks about how he conducts more than he should because getting other conductors like Solti and Mehta is difficult.

• ML says:

He wouldn’t.

• Tamino says:

I’ve often wondered why Mehta has not conducted at the MET since 1971, after having been a regular there from about 1966 on.

I had always presumed that Levine’s appointment had something to do with Mehta’s absence. The fact that Levine mentioned him here by name perhaps indicates that there was no personal animosity.

But in the 40 some years that have passed since his last appearance, surely Zubin could have found a month or two to devote to the MET, right?

I’m sure someone here knows the real story….

Since leaving the NYP, Mehta has stayed mainly in Europe and Israel. But surely, during his long tenure as Music Director of the NYP, there would have been ample opportunity…

Me, too.

I would like someone to spill their guts, as Mehta had quite the flourishing career at the Met, some 97 performances, between December 1965 and March 1971 (as per he Met Database).

Levine means to tell us that Mehta could never find time in his schedule, in the intervening FORTY-THREE YEARS?

What a crock.

• rofrano says:

Ronald Wilford.

• ML says:

Ernest Fleischmann! Exclusivity, etc.

• Porgy Amor says:

We were talking about Levine’s silence on this whole episode

What was John Dexter’s quote (late ’70s/early ’80s) — “Trying to get Levine to make a decision is like expecting Clytemnestra to fry you an egg”?

• Signor Bruschino says:

Since this is settled, I guess we can move onto the calls to cancel Klinghoffer performances- you know that is going to bubble up again…

• turings says:

And now the stagehands have reached an agreement too – hurray!

• Feldmarschallin says:

So now the chorus only makes 200.000$ per year instead of 250.000$ Guess we might to start to pass the hat.

• Daniel says:

Oh please, FM, can’t we just drop this nasty sneering at the chorus, based on totally inaccurate propaganda, already? So tired.

• Uncle Kvetch says: