• Feldmarschallin: Yes, I too. 6:44 AM
  • Lohengrin: I am looking forward to Muttertag-performa nce!! See You! 6:24 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Good top but Tézier was missed by me. Perhaps he will get better over the run. In every run... 4:59 AM
  • Lohengrin: How was Piazzola yesterday? 3:52 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Just heard a very good performance at the Schiller Theater with Ventris. He was quite good. 3:02 AM
  • La Cieca: My fault I fear as I posted this after a disturbing performance of Ariane et Barbebleu at... 2:15 AM
  • antikitschychick: evening all; just wanted to say a few words about the Cav/Pag from the Met which I saw the... 1:22 AM
  • RobNYNY: The Mad Scene from “The Barber of Seville.” Peters is very accurate in pitch and... 12:32 AM
  • steveac10: I can’t but admire Peters’ upper extension, but she has always left me cold... 11:58 PM
  • Sanford: I will say this about the Peters Una Voce Poco Fa. It is a very well sung example of a type I find... 11:41 PM

Zing! went the strings of his heart

Prince Charles‘s harpist, 27 leaves husband for Britain’s biggest opera star Bryn Terfel, 48″ [Daily Mail]

• Cicciabella says:

Prince Charles has a harpist?! Is she a one-off or does he possess a full-scale orchestra?

• Feldmarschallin says:

Well of a sudden Terfel now leaves wife and several children. There was a time he would cancel because his son had a broken nail or something. Guess the children are not important anymore. What a woman will do to a man :) Perhaps he said if Kaufmann can do so can I.

• Feldmarschallin says:

BTW I ran into Grace Bumbry in Salzburg and chatted with her briefly. She will be coming for a Liederabend nach München in the coming season at the Herculessaal. She looked great and was very gracious and friendly.

• ML says:

She was my first Lady M.

• Bill says:

Fekdmarschallin -- I saw Grace Bumbry do an all
      Brahms Liederabend in Salzburg in 1965. She had been studying lieder with Lotte Lehmann and the
      Brahms songs (many rather sad or mooody) suited her Mezzo voice and it was
      a very sucessful evening for her with the public -
      1965 was the first Salzburg Festival after the end
      of the Schwarzkopf/Seefried era (neither appeared
      in Salzburg after 1964) and their female replacements in the lieder series that year were Bumbry (all Brahms with Beaumont Glass pianist) and Lear (all Wolf wih Erich Werba). The other recitalists were Fischer-Dieskau all Beethoven), Prey
      (Schubert) and Walter Berry and Fritz Wunderlich
      in mixed programs. Fischer-Dieskau, Prey, Souzay,
      Christa Ludwig had been fixtures in the lieder series which was re-established after WWII in
      1954 when Schwarzkopf and Seefried both sang recitals. Lotte Lehmann had regularly given lieder recitals in Salzburg up through 1937 but
      that was her last year in Salzburg and the tradition of lieder recitals was pretty much dropped in the period 1938-1954 except in 1945 when Patzak, Cebotari, Ludwig Weber among others gave concerts with lieder (and some arias).

Bumbry also sang Lady MacBeth in Salzburg 1965 (not carried over in 1966) as well as an all Schubert liederabend there in 1966 and an all Schumann liederabend in 1967 in the tradition at Salzburg at the time of featuring one composer only in a complete lieder recital. Bumbry’s all Brahms lieder recital in 1965 was a considerable success -- and she had a wonderful warm rapport with the audience. If she is singing a recital in Munich next season it will have been almost 50 years since the
      Salzburg 1965 event -- remarkable !

• EarlyRomantic says:

But would anyone really want to hear Bumbry at this very late stage? Even if allowing for the necessary vocal and artistic concessions?

• Feldmarschallin says:

Thanks Bill for your great stories on Bumbry and Salzburg. I heard her twice live, once in the mid to late 80′s in the Herkuleessaal in the concert series that had Sutherland and Bergonzi as well and then once later in Alice Tully Hall where I also recall she sang Brahms. She lives in Salzburg you know.

• Krunoslav says:

Surely Jane Eaglen is “Britain’s biggest opera star “…

• liza says:

I think her husband is much sexier. But who knows. Want compelling outline for libretto with completed choreography and staging? Leave it to the Daily Wail to provide us with the perfect opera. Desperately seeking composer. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727579/Pictured-The-moment-demonstrator-34-shot-Ferguson-riots-police-fire-teargas-protestors-ANOTHER-night-violence-begins.html