• Hippolyte: The couple of times I’ve heard Jagde I thought he was monotonously loud and lacking in... 12:22 PM
  • la vociaccia: Correction: That crossover soprano they had playing the British dancer with the halter top... 11:49 AM
  • la vociaccia: I’m not getting involved in that debate right now – It’s too damn nice out.... 11:41 AM
  • laddie: I saw him sing the role in Santa Fe as well; don’t agree that he stole the show (the set... 11:36 AM
  • overstimmelated: What about protesting the fact that singers are amplified at the Met? (They are,... 11:34 AM
  • la vociaccia: Klinghoffer last night. More on the whole production after I’ve digested it fully but... 11:10 AM
  • Greg.Freed: Nah, de gustibus, you know. But thanks, and likewise! 11:06 AM
  • Lindoro Almaviva: Imagine what will they say when gay marriage is allowed. On, wait… 11:04 AM
  • zinka: Baseball and opera: You need 5 balls to get on the stage Batti,batti, o bel Masetto Nilsson and... 10:53 AM
  • Dabrowski: A question for the experts on Parterre: I have been near bursting with anticipation for the... 10:52 AM

“Catalani is no Mrs. Billington”

The parterrians (pictured, top right) are invited to put the internecine squabbling on hold for a while, the better to discuss off-topic and general interest subjects.

• Just got around to see this production. WOW. Finally somebody made believable theatre out of Forza. Having the same singer for Padre / Marchese is a coup. Singers for once don’t seem like satellites crossing the stage, doing their bit and dissappearing until their next cue. And there’s a real CAST here, with real personalities. And mostly the voices. Not undercasting, no 3rd raters, no faceless technicians with no soul or understanding. Harteros is mostly in tune (very rare nowadays) and she shows what she can do, scenically and musically, when on form. I like Tezier, and Kaufmann works here for me. The sound is right for Alvaro. Pity about Fisch who seems to me to be on automatic pilot, I guess he doesn’t really care for the score.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Having the same singer for Marchese / Padre is fairly common, isn’t it?

• Here he’s obviously the same character. Lovely way of showing the guilt complex evident in Leonora’s music (Piu tranquilla l’alma sento, one of the greatest pages in all of Verdi) manifested visually.

• Lohengrin says:

Great production; singers and also staging. Alvaro/Kaufmann and Carlo/Tezier fit perfectly. AH is an great Leonora and also Marchese is very good. Saw it three times.

• mjmacmtenor says:

Some very interesting and thoughtful modernism. However, the bit where Alvaro throws down his pistol in surrender and then it goes off accidentally and shoots Leonora’s dad is still one of the sillier moment in all of opera. Doesn’t mean I don’t like the opera or this production. It is just nigh impossible to make that moment plausible (if not downright laughable).

• Clita del Toro says:

Tenor, are you kidding? Gun accidents happen all the time--and even less plausible ones than in Forza. Read the newspapers. This country is gun crazy!

• Clita del Toro says:

PS I bet in those days guns were even less safe.

• BB says:

Far less. There was no safety and they could explode in your face. Never thought that moment was implausible. At least not if the hapless Alvaro had cocked it already, and being a tenor he probably had.

• DellaCasaFan says:

Right now:

Wer war Ihre Lieblingssängerin 2014?

Betsy Horne (37%, 236 Votes)
      Tara Erraught (36%, 230 Votes)
      Anja Harteros (6%, 39 Votes)
      Diana Damrau (4%, 29 Votes)
      Joyce DiDonato (3%, 21 Votes)
      Nina Stemme (3%, 21 Votes)
      Catherine Forster (2%, 15 Votes)
      Barbara Hannigan (2%, 14 Votes)
      Simone Schneider (2%, 13 Votes)
      Maida Hundeling (2%, 12 Votes)
      Ana Durlovski (1%, 8 Votes)
      Marina Rebeka (1%, 5 Votes)
      Anna Virovlansky (0%, 1 Votes)
      Sonya Yoncheva (1%, 1 Votes)

Interesting that Betsy Horne and Tara Erraught currently lead by such a wide margin. I’m not saying they are not good, but wonder if this could also be a social media effect. My vote went to Harteros, I think Feld would be pleased to hear. :-)

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1862 composer Claude Debussy

Born on this day in 1922 bass Raffaele Arie

Born on this day in 1928 composer Karlheinz Stockhausen

Happy 76th birthday bass-baritone Robert Hale

• Feldmarschallin says:

Just a few words since I am leaving here shortly but the last two performances in Salzburg were the two best operas this summer. Especially the Cenerentola with Bartoli and Camarena where all the singers and the production were a delight from start to finish. Was completely overwhelmed by Camarena with his huge top. Then La Favorite with the goddess Garanca and Florez and Tézier. More Sunday or Monday.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1900 composer Ernst Krenek

Born on this day in 1904 soprano Stella Roman

Happy 87th birthday bass-baritone Raimund Herincx

Happy 85th birthday baritone Franz Ferdinand Nentwig

Happy 75th birthday soprano Celestina Casapietra

Everybody loves Leyla -- a fun little video if you like spotting musical celebs(though I don’t really hear Lady Macbeth in her voice).