• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I just listened to the preview clips available on Amazon and it sure as hell... 2:22 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Tanner is indeed hard on the ears – I was somewhat traumatized by his Samson.... 1:40 PM
  • la vociaccia: I might try to get to her performance, then. I was also planning on going to Tamara... 1:17 PM
  • antikitschychick: lol Milady it’s ok. You don’t have to apologize for disagreeing with me,... 1:05 PM
  • antikitschychick: ok for all those who have yet to see this here is proof of how compelling L :shock: mi can... 12:56 PM
  • Krunoslav: Tanner is scheduled for 1/2, the same show as the debut of Marjorie Owens. , I heard her in the... 12:54 PM
  • Krunoslav: “[W]ho knows more about Italian opera than Muti?” –Fiend and Billingsgate... 12:51 PM
  • la vociaccia: Palombi, the tenor on youtube bleating the entirety of ‘Vesti La Giubba’ out of... 12:45 PM
  • antikitschychick: thanks for responding to my comment Ivy. I now totally get what you mean and again, I... 12:38 PM
  • manou: He was in the Gods. 12:30 PM

parterre for the course

No need to crowd, cher public: there’s plenty of room for everyone to discuss off-topic and general interest subjects.

• Buster says:

The new cpo recording of Gasparone is so authentic, it even omits Dunkelrote Rosen, which was from an other operetta, but added later on by Millocker himself. It is like hearing a new work -- much more balanced, spirited, and amusing. Fabulous to finally hear the work as written -- hopefully many other neglected Millocker operettas follow soon! And I have a new favorite singer: Miriam Portmann.

• Buster says:

Dr. Alexander Dick dug up more original Millöcker scores, apparently, Feldprediger, Arme Jonathan (a great live recording of the original exists, unfortunately in poor sound, conducted by Leopold Hager), Verwunschene Schloss (a radio performance exists). So hopefully this is indeed the first of a long series. Marius Burkert is the excellent conductor. All previous recordings followed the dreadful 1931 Steffan/Knepler version (Rothenberger, Barabas, Jurinac, Schlemm) -- these no longer have any use whatsoever.

• Buster says:

Miriam Portmann is much better than all the previous Carlotta’s, she really sings “mit heiterer Laune” as it says in the score. Rothenberger is too stiff, Jurinac too tragical, Barabas too lusty, and Schlemm overdoes it in general.

• PushedUpMezzo says:

Danielle de Niese is right now introducing Till Eulenspiegel at the Proms on BBC TV. Somebody seems to have done a Professor Higgins on her speaking voice, which now veers towards a rather pleasant rural Irish with a touch of Somerset.

• PetertheModest says:

Her make-up is way too heavy.

“Till is, like, a really wacky guy. I can’t see him being a hit on the lawns at Glyndebourne, dontcha know.”

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1856 playwright George Bernard Shaw

Born on this day in 1894 writer Aldous Huxley

Born on this day in 1903 conductor Donald Voorhees

• Feldmarschallin says:

According to the Bayern 4 Carlo Bergonzi has died at age 90. I heard him only once in a Liederabend and he was a great artist.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Oedipe you might be interested to know that Tezier is doing Ernani at the BSO in 17/18. I haven’t heard yet who is the Ernani and Elvira but will make inquiries. Yesterday before the performance someone came out to make an announcement and that was that the three male leads all were under the weather but will sing. Tezier had some difficulties in the beginning but got better. Kaufmann was in grand form and she was even better than in the first run in Dec/Jan. She has dropped the Boccanegra Amelia from her rep now and therefore will not be singing in the Scala this fall. Apparently that is why the two Berlin performances were also cancelled at Easter.

• Buster says:

There is good news from Bayreuth too:

“Auch die Abendkleider von der Grande-Dame der Volksmusik, Caroline Reiber, und Sopranistin Eva Lind wurden besonders beim Publikum gewürdigt”

Maybe she can sing Eva in the new Barry Kosky Meistersinger?

• DellaCasaFan says:

I hope there will be some other Parterrians watching L’Orfeo webcast from the Bayerische Staatsoper today. Can’t wait for Gerhaher and Bonitatibus. I don’t think I ever heard Anna Virovlansky, today’s Euridice.

• Feldmarschallin says:

She was a great Waldvogel in the Siegfried and also sings things like Adele, Despina. You will enjoy her.

• DellaCasaFan says:

I indeed enjoyed her and also everyone else. I adore Gerhaher and his was the most soulful Orfeo I’ve heard. I saw later that this webcast had been announced on a new general topic thread and posted my reaction there as well. Superb production.

• brooklynpunk says:

I just got a message , while watching the live stream of “L’Orfeo” from Munich , that “due to occasional technical difficulties , the stream will resume at 8:30 “(I am assuming that refers to Munich time?)

Does any one know/or think/ that means they are going to re-show the entire thing from the beginning?

• brooklynpunk says:

I am actually getting many more cut-offs on this re-broadcast, than I did the first time, on my macbook..anyone else?

• DellaCasaFan says:

I don’t know about now because I logged off from their website, but during the live broadcast it worked for me once I turned off the subtitles and used the old player. You can see this option if you scroll down their webcast page. Hope this helps.

Both versions have technical problems. But if you want, you can switch back to the initial stream: look below the webstream, there is a button that says “Switch to previous player version”.