• Buster: They need all the tits in the world to make this work. 3:02 PM
  • Krunoslav: But where is Broadway’s Betsy Wolfe? 3:00 PM
  • semira mide: Since this opera is infrequently performed, it will be great to see it live. Barcellona will... 2:10 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Could it be Jeanne Moreau? Sounds (technically, from the recording acoustic, to have been... 1:56 PM
  • messa di voce: Is that really Vilmorin in the youtube clip? The only times I’ve heard her speaking... 1:42 PM
  • coloraturafan: I saw the performance in Lyon, the opening night November 18. While I was very unimpressed... 1:32 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well the productions are both nothing special but the singing and conducting is. 1:15 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well they always do the premieres during the Festspiele except in rare instances like when... 1:14 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: How many Christmas cards did Beverly Sills address while she was singing Niktokris? 1:04 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Good for you, Milady. Seek further into Middle Eastern lore and ye shall find. Knowing... 1:03 PM

La place des étoiles

“Le Concert de Paris” featuring Natalie Dessay, Anna Netrebko, Olga Peretyatko, Elina Garanca, Piotr Beczala, Lawrence Brownlee and Laurent Naouri, with the Orchestre National de France sous la direction de Daniele Gatti. Watch it!

Rumor has it that Netrebko will sing Elsa in a new production of Lohengrin in Bayreuth in 2018.

Incidentally, Katharina Wagner will become sole GM of the festival from the end of 2015 till the end of 2020.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Well her recent Senta and Kaiserin were quite good as well. I like her, don’t love her but like her and there are few who are as honest as she is. No she doesn’t paint with the words nor is she the greatest actress but she is always well prepared and she will never give you filth. I would much rather here her Elsa than most others especially since she sings quite good German and actually learned to speak it as well. You can only hear the accent when she speaks but not when she sings. Buster I am thinking of going to Dollarprinzessin von Kalman which is opening on Friday. Have you seen it? Kaufmann was great last night (if unbearably hot upstairs), much better in the second half especially Wagner and opererette which were the encores. Fragende you would have loved it as well and he is coming out with a new operette CD in Sept. Now I must make more jam. 25 jars already made and have about another 10 to go. First tomatoes are starting to get red which is a new record by about 3 weeks.

• Buster says:

Never heard Dollarpinzessin, by Leo Fall not Kalman, who wrote Zirkusprinzessin. That one I do know, it is a lot of fun, especially the recording with Sari Barabas.

• grimoaldo says:

A morceau from Dollarpinzessin:

• Feldmarschallin says:

Die Zirkusprinzessin
        Operette

von Julius Brammer und Alfred Grünwald
        Musik von Emmerich Kálmán

Altersempfehlung ab 12 Jahren
        Musikalische Leitung Karsten Januschke a.G. / N.N.
        Regie Josef E. Köpplinger
        Choreografie Karl Alfred Schreiner
        Bühne Rainer Sinell
        Kostüme Marie-Luise Walek
        Licht Michael Heidinger
        Dramaturgie David Treffinger

• grimoaldo says:

1970 film with Ingeborg Hallstein and Rudolf Schock

• Regina delle fate says:

Grim -- we, who love operetten -- and Meyerbeer of course ;) -- are eternally in your debt. I listened to Pariser Leben with Rothenberger, Dallapozza, Holm, Bakker, Fuchs et al last night. We forget that Offenbach was as big a hit in Vienna as he was in Paris. Well, some of us do. Quite late Rothenberger and she’s not in the main role, but you can’t beat her for style, diction, glamour, panache.

• grimoaldo says:

What a nice message Regina, yes it is nice to find on Parterre a few kindred souls who enjoy the same weird stuff I do!

• Milady DeWinter says:

I add my thanks to you too, Grim -- as a Hallstein fan (AND a Meyerbeer lover); the great Sembrich recorded one of the waltzes from Dollarprincess. A little too late in the career, in Italian, but charming nonetheless.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Yes Zirkusprinzessin of course.

• Rackon says:

Thanks for the JK report, Feldy. What was the new piece like? Listened to some excerpts and have to admit I’m looking forward to that operetta/light music album.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Let’s say that the best thing about it was that it was short. :)

• Lohengrin says:

Where is the “JK report”, cannot find it…………

Am curious about the Liederabend last night.

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Thank you for thinking of me, FM. I am looking forward to the operetta CD and DVD documentary about the period that I hope will be available in the US. I’m very curious to see how popular the operetta CD is outside Germany. Not many in the US/UK are familiar with some of the operetten on this CD.

• DeepSouthSenior says:

“Kaufmann was great last night (if unbearably hot upstairs)”

Was it the house that was “unbearably hot upstairs,” or was it Kaufmann himself? I have some weird images dancing around in my head.

• Feldmarschallin says:

We are in the middle of another heatwave and the temperatures were quite tropical. But Kaufmann looked very, very good. Cleanshaven and with a Frack he looked every inch the gentleman. No chit chatting either and he stood there just singing which is how I like it the best for Lieder.

• Feldmarschallin says:

That Münchner Festspiel Figaro has had more cast changes than Elisabeth Taylor and I have had husbands. Now Siurina is out as Susanna in the first performance and Hannah Elisabeth Müller is singing instead. I am skipping the Figaros and sold my ticket already last week. Next for me is L’Orfeo GP tomorrow if I get in or Tosca on Friday.

• Regina delle fate says:

I was hoping to get to the Tosca and Orfeo, but one can’t do everything. I might try to come for one of the September Toscas….Glyndebourne Traviata next week, and Boheme at the RO -- Jaho/Castronovo -- on Sat.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Regina just as it happens I have an extra ticket for the second Tosca on Monday. Let me know if you are interested.

• Satisfied says:

Apropos of nothing, but has anyone else noticed a dearth of updates or reports on opera sites for the past month or so (Parterre being the exception)? I know it’s the low season, but there’s still plenty going in Europe where most opera bloggers (at least the ones I read) are based.

• Feldmarschallin says:

I checked Intermezzo today and that was last updated something in June. Perhaps she is en vancances.

• Satisfied says:

Hmm…maybe. Well your reports of the goings-on in Munich have been a wonderful substitute! I hope to have time to put together something on Aix this week.

I hope someone in New York will report back back on Euryanthe, Caramoor, and the happenings at Glimmerglass.

• Feldmarschallin says:

en vacances of course.

• damekenneth says:

I agree with Satisfied about our dear Feldmarschallin. Her “Letters from Bayern” are essential reading for me, both for their personality and for the details that give me a sense of being there. Thank you, Feldmarschallin.

• Feldmarschallin says:

And the cancellation continue in the Tosca tonight….

Umbesetzung: „Tosca“ heute
    In der heutigen Vorstellung von Tosca (18. Juli 2014) wird Stefano La Colla die Partie des Cavaradossi anstelle des erkrankten Marcelo Álvarez übernehmen.

On the plus side I saw Gruberova today and she is singing the Borgias. Had a nice chat with her as I was waiting around outside the box office where the tickets go on sale tomorrow for Sept/Okt. I was thinking just a few days ago if Alvarez cancels maybe we would get someone else who is very close to BSO to sing Cavaradossi but alas that hasn’t happened.

• Krunoslav says:

“maybe we would get someone else who is very close to BSO to sing Cavaradossi but alas that hasn’t happened.”

Now, now, Feldmarschallin, it can’t be Wolfgang Ablinger-Sperrhacke *every* night…. :)

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Believe me, FM, when I saw Tosca in London last month, in between two Manon Lescauts, I was praying for a certain Einspringer Cavaradossi who was right there, knows the production, etc etc. As it happened the tenor who sang that night (name forgotten) didn’t stand much of a chance between Bryn Terfel and Sondra Radvanovsky.