• Henry Holland: Some Alice related pieces, starting with Unsuk Chin’s Alice in Wonderland: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=S... 2:52 AM
  • Krunoslav: Midwesterners begin at Binghamton. 1:40 AM
  • LT: Batty, my vacuum is used strictly for on-label activities such as carpet cleaning. 10:54 PM
  • Donna Anna: Ivy–by terrible things, I meant more along the lines of being Statler and Waldorf at the opera. The mind reels.... 9:43 PM
  • -Ed.: It’s raining like a whore in church here in St. Petersburg at dusk, putting quite a dampener on our 4th of July festivities.... 9:17 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Be extremely careful what you initiate with that sexy vacuum cleaner, LT. 8:36 PM
  • -Ed.: Manou, I live in St. Petersburg (the sunny one with beaches) which I know for a fact is in the South. Er,.. except it isn’t,... 8:33 PM
  • Operngasse: We now know where the West ends: The western border of Arizona and Nevada, per Justice Scalia (forgive me for mentioning his... 7:52 PM

Altar ego

An uplifting way to start the week from Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: a performance of Gluck’s Iphigénie en Aulide under the baton of Riccardo Muti.

Christoph Willibald Gluck: Iphigénie en Aulide

Teatro dell’Opera di Roma
Riccardo Muti, conductor
17 March 2009

Diane – Beatriz Diaz
Agamemnon – Alexey Tikhomirov
Clitemnestre – Ekaterina Gubanova
Iphigénie – Krassimira Stoyanova
Achille – Avi Klemberg
Patrocle – Mario Cassi
Calchas – Riccardo Zenellato
Arcas – Carlos Garcia-Ruiz

Final scene composed by Richard Wagner in 1847

In commemoration of the 300th birthday of Christoph Willibald Gluck on 2 July 1714.

Thank you, Marianne and La Cieca. I love the other Iphigénie but have never heard this one.

• Regina delle fate says:

You do have to wonder, though, what Muti, with his zeal for conducting things “come scritto” is doing performing the Wagner final scene in 2009. I’m sure I saw a performance there with Urmana as Iphigénie and it was as dull as ditchwater. It sounded like a Gluck performance from the 1950s.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

That would have been at the Teatro degli Arcimboldi in Milano in December 2002. I haven’t heard it, not being a big fan of Urmana since she decided she was a soprano, so I can’t comment on any change in Muti’s approach seven years later.

• Regina delle fate says:

Oh thanks Jungfer! I’m doubtless going senile. I can’t remember anything else about it, though the production might have been a zzzzzz-fest by Yannis Kokkos.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I believe it was the same production which I saw in Roma in 2009. It certainly didn’t help make a case for the opera, but the singing was spectacular, and I enjoyed the opportunity to hear all the ballet music.

And here is Minkowski’s version of Iphigénie en Aulide (Amsterdam, 2011; with Véronique Gens):

• Satisfied says:

Katie Mitchell’s production of Trauernacht: sadly underdeveloped and lacking in purpose. Gorgeous music but hardly a scant of a production. Kudos to the wonderful voices this evening, but I’m very disappointed by this less than thought-out production.

A rare misfire for the festival…

• DellaCasaFan says:

Thank you for this wonderful treat, Marianne and La Cieca. Stoyanova’s Iphigenie is a must hear. What a voice, what an interpretation! Others improve as the opera moves on, especially Gubanova with her powerful Act 3 aria. Only Tikhomirov’s voice sounded somewhat dry to my ears and I wish Testé (from the performance Oedipe links to) was casted as Agamemnon. Despite the odd choice for Wagner’s ending, Muti’s musicianship is more than evident here. This had to be a great night in the house.