• kashania: Thanks for the great review, La Cieca. Looking forward to the rest of your European adventure. 11:13 AM
  • kashania: Toronto and Houston are getting Goerke in successive seasons with one Brünhilde at a time. And... 11:09 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: This news about the Ian Campbell buy off is disgusting! http://www.kpbs... 9:44 AM
  • La Cieca: Oh boo hoo. The armchair served a specific purpose dramatically and the straight back chairs were,... 9:38 AM
  • aulus agerius: “What chairs?” There was the ubiquitous armchair which was a focal point of the... 9:22 AM
  • manou: Ah, but a great touch of originality here “…most ly in black and white against video... 8:41 AM
  • Krunoslav: Bad guys wearing Ray Bans onstage – what an unaccustomed image! 8:33 AM
  • La Cieca: What chairs? The first scene of the opera takes place in what is apparently a reception area for... 5:11 AM
  • manou: Elephant dung is so passé (cf Chris Ofili). I am sure we can rely on Bieito to find other more... 5:04 AM
  • Porgy Amor: He was not OK IMO — he nearly derailed the duet, for example, as I’m sure everyone heard.... 1:51 AM

Altar ego

An uplifting way to start the week from Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: a performance of Gluck’s Iphigénie en Aulide under the baton of Riccardo Muti.

Christoph Willibald Gluck: Iphigénie en Aulide

Teatro dell’Opera di Roma
Riccardo Muti, conductor
17 March 2009

Diane – Beatriz Diaz
Agamemnon – Alexey Tikhomirov
Clitemnestre – Ekaterina Gubanova
Iphigénie – Krassimira Stoyanova
Achille – Avi Klemberg
Patrocle – Mario Cassi
Calchas – Riccardo Zenellato
Arcas – Carlos Garcia-Ruiz

Final scene composed by Richard Wagner in 1847

In commemoration of the 300th birthday of Christoph Willibald Gluck on 2 July 1714.

Thank you, Marianne and La Cieca. I love the other Iphigénie but have never heard this one.

• Regina delle fate says:

You do have to wonder, though, what Muti, with his zeal for conducting things “come scritto” is doing performing the Wagner final scene in 2009. I’m sure I saw a performance there with Urmana as Iphigénie and it was as dull as ditchwater. It sounded like a Gluck performance from the 1950s.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

That would have been at the Teatro degli Arcimboldi in Milano in December 2002. I haven’t heard it, not being a big fan of Urmana since she decided she was a soprano, so I can’t comment on any change in Muti’s approach seven years later.

• Regina delle fate says:

Oh thanks Jungfer! I’m doubtless going senile. I can’t remember anything else about it, though the production might have been a zzzzzz-fest by Yannis Kokkos.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I believe it was the same production which I saw in Roma in 2009. It certainly didn’t help make a case for the opera, but the singing was spectacular, and I enjoyed the opportunity to hear all the ballet music.

And here is Minkowski’s version of Iphigénie en Aulide (Amsterdam, 2011; with Véronique Gens):

• Satisfied says:

Katie Mitchell’s production of Trauernacht: sadly underdeveloped and lacking in purpose. Gorgeous music but hardly a scant of a production. Kudos to the wonderful voices this evening, but I’m very disappointed by this less than thought-out production.

A rare misfire for the festival…

• DellaCasaFan says:

Thank you for this wonderful treat, Marianne and La Cieca. Stoyanova’s Iphigenie is a must hear. What a voice, what an interpretation! Others improve as the opera moves on, especially Gubanova with her powerful Act 3 aria. Only Tikhomirov’s voice sounded somewhat dry to my ears and I wish Testé (from the performance Oedipe links to) was casted as Agamemnon. Despite the odd choice for Wagner’s ending, Muti’s musicianship is more than evident here. This had to be a great night in the house.