• Feldmarschallin: She also sang the Verdi Requiem :) which sort of counts. 6:44 AM
  • Krunoslav: Are you speaking of Jessye Norman? She sang Selika in L’AFRICANA ( Firenze, 1971) and Aida (... 6:25 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Thanks DellaCasaFan. I do have an icon on my Handy that says Spotify so I will try it there.... 4:52 AM
  • Ruxxy: All kudos to Mr Fry – this documentary is incredibly good. 3:34 AM
  • CwbyLA: NPW-Paris, I have been to that building before. It is called the Sureyya Opera House and it is in the... 3:12 AM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Did she ever sing in Italian other than Mozart? I can’t find anything. 1:52 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Would you believe this is *not* the Théâtre des Champs Elysées? http://upload.wiki media.org/wik... 1:30 AM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=epn7 Pi9Loao If GOD was a tenor!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! Drives me... 1:12 AM
  • Rudolf: A note on Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari’s “Il Campiello”. This is not a verismo opera. It’s... 1:05 AM
  • antikitschychick: yeah it definitely sounded like a C to me as well and it’s really the one note he... 12:42 AM

Altar ego

An uplifting way to start the week from Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: a performance of Gluck’s Iphigénie en Aulide under the baton of Riccardo Muti.

Christoph Willibald Gluck: Iphigénie en Aulide

Teatro dell’Opera di Roma
Riccardo Muti, conductor
17 March 2009

Diane – Beatriz Diaz
Agamemnon – Alexey Tikhomirov
Clitemnestre – Ekaterina Gubanova
Iphigénie – Krassimira Stoyanova
Achille – Avi Klemberg
Patrocle – Mario Cassi
Calchas – Riccardo Zenellato
Arcas – Carlos Garcia-Ruiz

Final scene composed by Richard Wagner in 1847

In commemoration of the 300th birthday of Christoph Willibald Gluck on 2 July 1714.

Thank you, Marianne and La Cieca. I love the other Iphigénie but have never heard this one.

• Regina delle fate says:

You do have to wonder, though, what Muti, with his zeal for conducting things “come scritto” is doing performing the Wagner final scene in 2009. I’m sure I saw a performance there with Urmana as Iphigénie and it was as dull as ditchwater. It sounded like a Gluck performance from the 1950s.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

That would have been at the Teatro degli Arcimboldi in Milano in December 2002. I haven’t heard it, not being a big fan of Urmana since she decided she was a soprano, so I can’t comment on any change in Muti’s approach seven years later.

• Regina delle fate says:

Oh thanks Jungfer! I’m doubtless going senile. I can’t remember anything else about it, though the production might have been a zzzzzz-fest by Yannis Kokkos.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I believe it was the same production which I saw in Roma in 2009. It certainly didn’t help make a case for the opera, but the singing was spectacular, and I enjoyed the opportunity to hear all the ballet music.

And here is Minkowski’s version of Iphigénie en Aulide (Amsterdam, 2011; with Véronique Gens):

• Satisfied says:

Katie Mitchell’s production of Trauernacht: sadly underdeveloped and lacking in purpose. Gorgeous music but hardly a scant of a production. Kudos to the wonderful voices this evening, but I’m very disappointed by this less than thought-out production.

A rare misfire for the festival…

• DellaCasaFan says:

Thank you for this wonderful treat, Marianne and La Cieca. Stoyanova’s Iphigenie is a must hear. What a voice, what an interpretation! Others improve as the opera moves on, especially Gubanova with her powerful Act 3 aria. Only Tikhomirov’s voice sounded somewhat dry to my ears and I wish Testé (from the performance Oedipe links to) was casted as Agamemnon. Despite the odd choice for Wagner’s ending, Muti’s musicianship is more than evident here. This had to be a great night in the house.