• manou: …Marceau. 5:10 AM
  • Lohengrin: https://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=0gJl vu8FNxM https://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=Gd-o Ykr05Ec 2:06 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Youtubies like the vast collection collection of coloratura fan can be difficult to locate, but if you enter (for... 1:32 AM
  • Porgy Amor: I would have guessed O’Hara for Belinda, but the NYT’s piece has her as Dido. Also, Deborah Voigt is doing Pirates... 1:30 AM
  • Paysan Bleu: Camille, it was last July during the outdoor performance of the “Gala Anna Netrebko & Friends” in the... 1:19 AM
  • DerLeiermann: This news have me conflicted. 12:45 AM
  • Baritenor: Well, I’ll take “headlines I didn’t expect to read today” for 400 Alex. Does anyone know what the... 12:38 AM
  • Camille: Merci bien, mon ami L’oseau lyre! Yes, I auditioned this version as well but decided to go for the one more close in time... 10:25 PM

Altar ego

An uplifting way to start the week from Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: a performance of Gluck’s Iphigénie en Aulide under the baton of Riccardo Muti.

Christoph Willibald Gluck: Iphigénie en Aulide

Teatro dell’Opera di Roma
Riccardo Muti, conductor
17 March 2009

Diane – Beatriz Diaz
Agamemnon – Alexey Tikhomirov
Clitemnestre – Ekaterina Gubanova
Iphigénie – Krassimira Stoyanova
Achille – Avi Klemberg
Patrocle – Mario Cassi
Calchas – Riccardo Zenellato
Arcas – Carlos Garcia-Ruiz

Final scene composed by Richard Wagner in 1847

In commemoration of the 300th birthday of Christoph Willibald Gluck on 2 July 1714.

Thank you, Marianne and La Cieca. I love the other Iphigénie but have never heard this one.

• Regina delle fate says:

You do have to wonder, though, what Muti, with his zeal for conducting things “come scritto” is doing performing the Wagner final scene in 2009. I’m sure I saw a performance there with Urmana as Iphigénie and it was as dull as ditchwater. It sounded like a Gluck performance from the 1950s.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

That would have been at the Teatro degli Arcimboldi in Milano in December 2002. I haven’t heard it, not being a big fan of Urmana since she decided she was a soprano, so I can’t comment on any change in Muti’s approach seven years later.

• Regina delle fate says:

Oh thanks Jungfer! I’m doubtless going senile. I can’t remember anything else about it, though the production might have been a zzzzzz-fest by Yannis Kokkos.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I believe it was the same production which I saw in Roma in 2009. It certainly didn’t help make a case for the opera, but the singing was spectacular, and I enjoyed the opportunity to hear all the ballet music.

And here is Minkowski’s version of Iphigénie en Aulide (Amsterdam, 2011; with Véronique Gens):

• Satisfied says:

Katie Mitchell’s production of Trauernacht: sadly underdeveloped and lacking in purpose. Gorgeous music but hardly a scant of a production. Kudos to the wonderful voices this evening, but I’m very disappointed by this less than thought-out production.

A rare misfire for the festival…

• DellaCasaFan says:

Thank you for this wonderful treat, Marianne and La Cieca. Stoyanova’s Iphigenie is a must hear. What a voice, what an interpretation! Others improve as the opera moves on, especially Gubanova with her powerful Act 3 aria. Only Tikhomirov’s voice sounded somewhat dry to my ears and I wish Testé (from the performance Oedipe links to) was casted as Agamemnon. Despite the odd choice for Wagner’s ending, Muti’s musicianship is more than evident here. This had to be a great night in the house.