• Lohengrin: https://www.facebo ok.com/baystaatsop er/ Good to know that terrorists cannot win and music heals up our soul. 7:06 AM
  • redbear: This is from The Guardian site about 5 hours ago: Fears over Bayreuth opera festival Germany’s legendary Bayreuth opera festival... 5:06 AM
  • redbear: They could change but they don’t because of reams of the mindless who vote regardless. 4:34 AM
  • Sanford: Control of the media by the DNC???? If that were true, Trump wouldn’t have gotten billions of dollars of free TV coverage.... 3:14 AM
  • Sanford: Well, here;s the original, Patricia Elliot. She died last December after a long career on One Life To Live as Renee Buchanan and... 3:00 AM
  • Lohengrin: He is! 2:13 AM
  • La Cieca: President Nader thanks you for your vote. 11:08 PM
  • antikitschychick: Yes I just saw that and I’m not at all surprised, especially the part about them wanting to smear Bernie Sanders.... 10:47 PM

Altar ego

An uplifting way to start the week from Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: a performance of Gluck’s Iphigénie en Aulide under the baton of Riccardo Muti.

Christoph Willibald Gluck: Iphigénie en Aulide

Teatro dell’Opera di Roma
Riccardo Muti, conductor
17 March 2009

Diane – Beatriz Diaz
Agamemnon – Alexey Tikhomirov
Clitemnestre – Ekaterina Gubanova
Iphigénie – Krassimira Stoyanova
Achille – Avi Klemberg
Patrocle – Mario Cassi
Calchas – Riccardo Zenellato
Arcas – Carlos Garcia-Ruiz

Final scene composed by Richard Wagner in 1847

In commemoration of the 300th birthday of Christoph Willibald Gluck on 2 July 1714.

• 1
    kashania says:

Thank you, Marianne and La Cieca. I love the other Iphigénie but have never heard this one.

• 2
    Regina delle fate says:

You do have to wonder, though, what Muti, with his zeal for conducting things “come scritto” is doing performing the Wagner final scene in 2009. I’m sure I saw a performance there with Urmana as Iphigénie and it was as dull as ditchwater. It sounded like a Gluck performance from the 1950s.

• 2.1
      Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

That would have been at the Teatro degli Arcimboldi in Milano in December 2002. I haven’t heard it, not being a big fan of Urmana since she decided she was a soprano, so I can’t comment on any change in Muti’s approach seven years later.

• 2.1.1
        Regina delle fate says:

Oh thanks Jungfer! I’m doubtless going senile. I can’t remember anything else about it, though the production might have been a zzzzzz-fest by Yannis Kokkos.

• 2.1.1.1
          Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I believe it was the same production which I saw in Roma in 2009. It certainly didn’t help make a case for the opera, but the singing was spectacular, and I enjoyed the opportunity to hear all the ballet music.

• 3
    oedipe says:

And here is Minkowski’s version of Iphigénie en Aulide (Amsterdam, 2011; with Véronique Gens):

• 4
    Satisfied says:

Katie Mitchell’s production of Trauernacht: sadly underdeveloped and lacking in purpose. Gorgeous music but hardly a scant of a production. Kudos to the wonderful voices this evening, but I’m very disappointed by this less than thought-out production.

A rare misfire for the festival…

• 5
    DellaCasaFan says:

Thank you for this wonderful treat, Marianne and La Cieca. Stoyanova’s Iphigenie is a must hear. What a voice, what an interpretation! Others improve as the opera moves on, especially Gubanova with her powerful Act 3 aria. Only Tikhomirov’s voice sounded somewhat dry to my ears and I wish Testé (from the performance Oedipe links to) was casted as Agamemnon. Despite the odd choice for Wagner’s ending, Muti’s musicianship is more than evident here. This had to be a great night in the house.