• antikitschychick: hey there armerj! Nice to see you back :-). As to the question at hand, I really have no... 1:08 AM
  • m. croche: Happy birthday, Georgi Konyus. httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=Zwb0 dhjrc1U 1:06 AM
  • la vociaccia: I poked through Varnay’s autobiog the other day, I particularly loved the anecdote of... 12:50 AM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: The limo story I know to be true was Frankie, excuse me: Felicia Weathers, who... 12:39 AM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Astrid Varnay’s is among the better ones, tho’ she had a professional... 12:37 AM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: I found that ‘suspension of belief’ rather an endearing Freudian slip! She... 12:26 AM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Quanto grandezza!!! Man-o-wockety, she personifies affected! But what the Hell, why... 12:24 AM
  • Krunoslav: So, Clita, do you consider these piece the work of a “Miss Cutesie”? http://joycedi... 12:06 AM
  • ML: Laugh out loud. So much for “AdChoices&# 8221; and the Digital Advertising Alliance! 11:38 PM
  • ML: Intermezzo blog may have gone to Twitter. That’s what happened to Opera Chic, alas. 11:28 PM

Altar ego

An uplifting way to start the week from Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: a performance of Gluck’s Iphigénie en Aulide under the baton of Riccardo Muti.

Christoph Willibald Gluck: Iphigénie en Aulide

Teatro dell’Opera di Roma
Riccardo Muti, conductor
17 March 2009

Diane – Beatriz Diaz
Agamemnon – Alexey Tikhomirov
Clitemnestre – Ekaterina Gubanova
Iphigénie – Krassimira Stoyanova
Achille – Avi Klemberg
Patrocle – Mario Cassi
Calchas – Riccardo Zenellato
Arcas – Carlos Garcia-Ruiz

Final scene composed by Richard Wagner in 1847

In commemoration of the 300th birthday of Christoph Willibald Gluck on 2 July 1714.

Thank you, Marianne and La Cieca. I love the other Iphigénie but have never heard this one.

• Regina delle fate says:

You do have to wonder, though, what Muti, with his zeal for conducting things “come scritto” is doing performing the Wagner final scene in 2009. I’m sure I saw a performance there with Urmana as Iphigénie and it was as dull as ditchwater. It sounded like a Gluck performance from the 1950s.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

That would have been at the Teatro degli Arcimboldi in Milano in December 2002. I haven’t heard it, not being a big fan of Urmana since she decided she was a soprano, so I can’t comment on any change in Muti’s approach seven years later.

• Regina delle fate says:

Oh thanks Jungfer! I’m doubtless going senile. I can’t remember anything else about it, though the production might have been a zzzzzz-fest by Yannis Kokkos.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I believe it was the same production which I saw in Roma in 2009. It certainly didn’t help make a case for the opera, but the singing was spectacular, and I enjoyed the opportunity to hear all the ballet music.

And here is Minkowski’s version of Iphigénie en Aulide (Amsterdam, 2011; with Véronique Gens):

• Satisfied says:

Katie Mitchell’s production of Trauernacht: sadly underdeveloped and lacking in purpose. Gorgeous music but hardly a scant of a production. Kudos to the wonderful voices this evening, but I’m very disappointed by this less than thought-out production.

A rare misfire for the festival…

• DellaCasaFan says:

Thank you for this wonderful treat, Marianne and La Cieca. Stoyanova’s Iphigenie is a must hear. What a voice, what an interpretation! Others improve as the opera moves on, especially Gubanova with her powerful Act 3 aria. Only Tikhomirov’s voice sounded somewhat dry to my ears and I wish Testé (from the performance Oedipe links to) was casted as Agamemnon. Despite the odd choice for Wagner’s ending, Muti’s musicianship is more than evident here. This had to be a great night in the house.