• zinka: https://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=UX7P e8faPu8 Courtesy of Ed Rosen..Closest to Caruso…combi nation of lyric,dramatic,... 12:56 PM
  • Baltsamic Vinaigrette: “[Exit, pursued by a bear]” happens in quite a few opera houses – though not necessarily on the... 12:50 PM
  • Batty Masetto: I can’t figure out what you thought of DV in that staging, but if it’s the same Hal Prince production we saw... 12:31 PM
  • DellaCasaFan: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=lvUC F2-3nxE 12:09 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Wondering if there was an Opera called Bleak House in which someone has to burst into flames, I Googled for “bleak house... 12:03 PM
  • manou: Well – there is always “[Exit, pursued by a bear]” if one considers Shakespeare operatic enough. 11:56 AM
  • NPW-Paris: There’s a game in here somewhere: name opera’s most exotic and irrational stage direction: fishes flying in to the... 11:53 AM
  • Cicciabella: Chilcott’s story is worthy of an operatic treatment, provided it is respectful and matches the passion of her love... 11:51 AM

Altar ego

An uplifting way to start the week from Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: a performance of Gluck’s Iphigénie en Aulide under the baton of Riccardo Muti.

Christoph Willibald Gluck: Iphigénie en Aulide

Teatro dell’Opera di Roma
Riccardo Muti, conductor
17 March 2009

Diane – Beatriz Diaz
Agamemnon – Alexey Tikhomirov
Clitemnestre – Ekaterina Gubanova
Iphigénie – Krassimira Stoyanova
Achille – Avi Klemberg
Patrocle – Mario Cassi
Calchas – Riccardo Zenellato
Arcas – Carlos Garcia-Ruiz

Final scene composed by Richard Wagner in 1847

In commemoration of the 300th birthday of Christoph Willibald Gluck on 2 July 1714.

Thank you, Marianne and La Cieca. I love the other Iphigénie but have never heard this one.

• Regina delle fate says:

You do have to wonder, though, what Muti, with his zeal for conducting things “come scritto” is doing performing the Wagner final scene in 2009. I’m sure I saw a performance there with Urmana as Iphigénie and it was as dull as ditchwater. It sounded like a Gluck performance from the 1950s.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

That would have been at the Teatro degli Arcimboldi in Milano in December 2002. I haven’t heard it, not being a big fan of Urmana since she decided she was a soprano, so I can’t comment on any change in Muti’s approach seven years later.

• Regina delle fate says:

Oh thanks Jungfer! I’m doubtless going senile. I can’t remember anything else about it, though the production might have been a zzzzzz-fest by Yannis Kokkos.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I believe it was the same production which I saw in Roma in 2009. It certainly didn’t help make a case for the opera, but the singing was spectacular, and I enjoyed the opportunity to hear all the ballet music.

And here is Minkowski’s version of Iphigénie en Aulide (Amsterdam, 2011; with Véronique Gens):

• Satisfied says:

Katie Mitchell’s production of Trauernacht: sadly underdeveloped and lacking in purpose. Gorgeous music but hardly a scant of a production. Kudos to the wonderful voices this evening, but I’m very disappointed by this less than thought-out production.

A rare misfire for the festival…

• DellaCasaFan says:

Thank you for this wonderful treat, Marianne and La Cieca. Stoyanova’s Iphigenie is a must hear. What a voice, what an interpretation! Others improve as the opera moves on, especially Gubanova with her powerful Act 3 aria. Only Tikhomirov’s voice sounded somewhat dry to my ears and I wish Testé (from the performance Oedipe links to) was casted as Agamemnon. Despite the odd choice for Wagner’s ending, Muti’s musicianship is more than evident here. This had to be a great night in the house.