• redbear: Operas next season in Lyon: L’Ange de feu, L’Enfant et les sortilèges, Ermine, en version concert, Une Nuit à Venise, Jeanne au... 2:22 AM
  • antikitschychick: Oh my goodness, I have a 30 pg. paper due tomorrow so I’m swamped atm and I’ve been trying to catch up with... 1:27 AM
  • PCally: Well I honestly can’t remember the singing all that much, it’s not really that kind of role. 11:17 PM
  • Krunoslav: Nope. We have bad/spoiled voices here too. Roz P started out with a rich sound and much promise but never got the top... 10:56 PM
  • Camille: I’m sold. Especially after looking at the programs to be featured this summer–all Puccini and other veristi, all the... 8:23 PM
  • FragendeFrau82: Thank you so much! Will listen to this on the drive to DC on Saturday. Nice photo too–includes the gray. New to me,... 8:07 PM
  • Camille: Bluebeard–I fear you may have hit the bullseye here, based on many of the already established actualities re Ms LH... 8:01 PM
  • Camille: Yes, and similarly, I had so looked forward to the double bill of Iolanta/Bluebeard& #8217;s Castle at the MET, and ended up not... 7:42 PM

Altar ego

An uplifting way to start the week from Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: a performance of Gluck’s Iphigénie en Aulide under the baton of Riccardo Muti.

Christoph Willibald Gluck: Iphigénie en Aulide

Teatro dell’Opera di Roma
Riccardo Muti, conductor
17 March 2009

Diane – Beatriz Diaz
Agamemnon – Alexey Tikhomirov
Clitemnestre – Ekaterina Gubanova
Iphigénie – Krassimira Stoyanova
Achille – Avi Klemberg
Patrocle – Mario Cassi
Calchas – Riccardo Zenellato
Arcas – Carlos Garcia-Ruiz

Final scene composed by Richard Wagner in 1847

In commemoration of the 300th birthday of Christoph Willibald Gluck on 2 July 1714.

• 1
    kashania says:

Thank you, Marianne and La Cieca. I love the other Iphigénie but have never heard this one.

• 2
    Regina delle fate says:

You do have to wonder, though, what Muti, with his zeal for conducting things “come scritto” is doing performing the Wagner final scene in 2009. I’m sure I saw a performance there with Urmana as Iphigénie and it was as dull as ditchwater. It sounded like a Gluck performance from the 1950s.

• 2.1
      Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

That would have been at the Teatro degli Arcimboldi in Milano in December 2002. I haven’t heard it, not being a big fan of Urmana since she decided she was a soprano, so I can’t comment on any change in Muti’s approach seven years later.

• 2.1.1
        Regina delle fate says:

Oh thanks Jungfer! I’m doubtless going senile. I can’t remember anything else about it, though the production might have been a zzzzzz-fest by Yannis Kokkos.

• 2.1.1.1
          Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I believe it was the same production which I saw in Roma in 2009. It certainly didn’t help make a case for the opera, but the singing was spectacular, and I enjoyed the opportunity to hear all the ballet music.

• 3
    oedipe says:

And here is Minkowski’s version of Iphigénie en Aulide (Amsterdam, 2011; with Véronique Gens):

• 4
    Satisfied says:

Katie Mitchell’s production of Trauernacht: sadly underdeveloped and lacking in purpose. Gorgeous music but hardly a scant of a production. Kudos to the wonderful voices this evening, but I’m very disappointed by this less than thought-out production.

A rare misfire for the festival…

• 5
    DellaCasaFan says:

Thank you for this wonderful treat, Marianne and La Cieca. Stoyanova’s Iphigenie is a must hear. What a voice, what an interpretation! Others improve as the opera moves on, especially Gubanova with her powerful Act 3 aria. Only Tikhomirov’s voice sounded somewhat dry to my ears and I wish Testé (from the performance Oedipe links to) was casted as Agamemnon. Despite the odd choice for Wagner’s ending, Muti’s musicianship is more than evident here. This had to be a great night in the house.