• Milady DeWinter: Well I heard Devia’s Lucia at the Met years back and it was wonderful. True, the voice didn’t quite ping... 2:00 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Thank you indeed for the Jessica Pratt “Lucia” ; coloraturafan. She is fast rising to the top of my list of... 1:57 PM
  • Lady Abbado: Yay, Gheorghiu’s MET Tosca will be broadcast live on Sirius on 2 November! Meanwhile, a gown from her Sydney concert of... 1:43 PM
  • chicagoing: Looking forward to hearing/seeing Mr. Brownlee in La Cenerentola here on Saturday night oppposite Isabel Leonard. Reviews have... 1:37 PM
  • Laura Amorosa: I am not trying to protect anybody. I am not sure exactly what “protection& #8221; means in this context. I am glad... 1:21 PM
  • semira mide: Considering the track record of La Donna del Lago productions in the last 10 years perhaps a concert version is a good... 1:19 PM
  • kashania: Grim: We had Alek Shrader here in Barbieri last season and I had a similar impression. He sang well and (especially in the... 11:45 AM
  • kashania: What La Cieca said. In U.S. (especially expensive cities like NYC), $1.6 for the CEO of an arts institution is par for the... 11:40 AM

Altar ego

An uplifting way to start the week from Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: a performance of Gluck’s Iphigénie en Aulide under the baton of Riccardo Muti.

Christoph Willibald Gluck: Iphigénie en Aulide

Teatro dell’Opera di Roma
Riccardo Muti, conductor
17 March 2009

Diane – Beatriz Diaz
Agamemnon – Alexey Tikhomirov
Clitemnestre – Ekaterina Gubanova
Iphigénie – Krassimira Stoyanova
Achille – Avi Klemberg
Patrocle – Mario Cassi
Calchas – Riccardo Zenellato
Arcas – Carlos Garcia-Ruiz

Final scene composed by Richard Wagner in 1847

In commemoration of the 300th birthday of Christoph Willibald Gluck on 2 July 1714.

Thank you, Marianne and La Cieca. I love the other Iphigénie but have never heard this one.

• Regina delle fate says:

You do have to wonder, though, what Muti, with his zeal for conducting things “come scritto” is doing performing the Wagner final scene in 2009. I’m sure I saw a performance there with Urmana as Iphigénie and it was as dull as ditchwater. It sounded like a Gluck performance from the 1950s.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

That would have been at the Teatro degli Arcimboldi in Milano in December 2002. I haven’t heard it, not being a big fan of Urmana since she decided she was a soprano, so I can’t comment on any change in Muti’s approach seven years later.

• Regina delle fate says:

Oh thanks Jungfer! I’m doubtless going senile. I can’t remember anything else about it, though the production might have been a zzzzzz-fest by Yannis Kokkos.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I believe it was the same production which I saw in Roma in 2009. It certainly didn’t help make a case for the opera, but the singing was spectacular, and I enjoyed the opportunity to hear all the ballet music.

And here is Minkowski’s version of Iphigénie en Aulide (Amsterdam, 2011; with Véronique Gens):

• Satisfied says:

Katie Mitchell’s production of Trauernacht: sadly underdeveloped and lacking in purpose. Gorgeous music but hardly a scant of a production. Kudos to the wonderful voices this evening, but I’m very disappointed by this less than thought-out production.

A rare misfire for the festival…

• DellaCasaFan says:

Thank you for this wonderful treat, Marianne and La Cieca. Stoyanova’s Iphigenie is a must hear. What a voice, what an interpretation! Others improve as the opera moves on, especially Gubanova with her powerful Act 3 aria. Only Tikhomirov’s voice sounded somewhat dry to my ears and I wish Testé (from the performance Oedipe links to) was casted as Agamemnon. Despite the odd choice for Wagner’s ending, Muti’s musicianship is more than evident here. This had to be a great night in the house.