• phoenix: In agreement with kennedet but facing the reality of la voci. Meade is not always vocally reliable... 8:26 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: In a positive or negative sense? 7:19 AM
  • thenoctambulist: I was replying to these comments in the article but somehow they could not be quoted:... 5:04 AM
  • thenoctambulist: I beg to differ. Pretty much the in the entire nineteenth century, Rigoletto was not... 5:02 AM
  • thenoctambulist: How did the Borgia go? 4:50 AM
  • manou: Yes, but are American woman you’d see at a state fair in a fair state? 4:14 AM
  • steveac10: From what I can see Friend has a huge blind spot when it comes to American singers who lack... 3:59 AM
  • MontyNostry: Indeed. I was thinking about singers of the role at Covent Garden, but ENO have at least latched... 3:06 AM
  • Rackon: I’m SO happy to hear all the praise for Stephen Powell! I heard him in ’06 or ’07... 12:53 AM
  • coloraturafan: First time I heard Powell live, I was very impressed. It was a May Festival performance of... 12:08 AM

P.S. I glove you

La Cieca would never kid you, cher public: it’s that time of the week when we discuss off-topic and general interest subjects.

Monsieur œdipe,

Juste pour Vous, et pour les 225 ans de la liberté!

• Buster says:

Scovotti serenading die Mannschaft:

• Buster says:

Evelyn Herlitzius is out of those Verona Turandots, I see. Singing now are Iréne Theorin, Tiziana Caruso, and Martina Serafin.

• CwbyLA says:

I just love this note emanating from Fleming.

• aulus agerius says:

I’m going to the matinee performance of Euryanthe on the 30th. Anyone else??

• la vociaccia says:

Probably. I want to see it and any excuse out of the pit of humid hell they call NYC in summer is welcome

• aulus agerius says:

Last night I went to see Susannah performed by Ash Lawn Opera in the Paramount Theater in Charlottesville VA. Like Carousel last year, I found it to be quite disturbing. I experienced the piece as being about ostracization, shunning by the group. I’m sure it has universal overtones but it resonated with my experiences as a gay boy growing up in GA and not understanding why I was shunned by peers, family, church and society in general. I did not flaunt my gayness as Susannah flaunts her attractiveness, but still…. Like her though, I always refused to come down to the altar during those horrible emotionally wrenching exhortations at the close of Baptist services. I suspect that the males who ostracized me as a youth had homosexual thoughts/feelings/fantasies that they could not own, like the Elders in the opera.
    The production was adequate. Leah Partridge sang the title role. She has sung in east coast regional companies for years and this was my first time to hear her. I was not impressed. The tone is not pleasant and her expression of the text was near zero. Brent Reilly Turner who sang her brother, Sam Polk, was the best IMO. Vocally he was quite a few notches above everyone else and quite attractive in a burly sort of way -- not unlike my own big brother incidentally. In the first act it was hard to believe that he is a tenor, but in the second act that was more in agreement with what I heard.
    I was very surprised to read in the Washington Post this week of the CDC study that showed 2-3% of the population identifying as gay. That’s almost impossible for me to believe based on long life experience. I don’t think those Elders would have self-identified as adulterers either!

Variety is reporting that Elaine Stritch has died.

• aulus agerius says:

I just read in the July OPERA that Mme. Caballe has ‘handed over’ half a million euros in back taxes in hopes of avoiding trial. She may be liable for up to 6X that amount in fines! She was deposed at her apt in……Barcelona, not Andorra.

• DellaCasaFan says:

The latest about Tamar Iveri. She plans a charity concert at the National Coming Out Day in Tbilisi: