• Chirper: Another example is “In Cold Blood,” book and movie. The murdered members of the Clutter... 3:54 PM
  • manou: The f*** Brits have a go: http://www.theguar dian.com/music/201 4/oct/21/the-death -of-klinghoffer... 3:54 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Aha, now I get the “y” and its qualifiying connection to said “kitsch&#... 3:54 PM
  • Henry Holland: I can’t find confirmation via a link, but my understanding is that the Los Angeles... 3:53 PM
  • LittleMasterMiles: Thanks, Batty. Those definitions do suggest that Leon Klinghoffer qualifies as a public... 3:47 PM
  • Robby: Whether they crossed an ethical line is way above my pay grade, but though not common it’s... 3:30 PM
  • antikitschychick: oh you were kidding, lol ok yeah that makes sense. Re: my moniker/username, it’s... 3:29 PM
  • Batty Masetto: LMM, here are definitions of a “public figure” from two generally reliable legal... 3:18 PM
  • Dabrowski: The parallels with the Rushdie affair are inescapable. Do you have it on good authority that it... 3:18 PM
  • Dabrowski: Ivy: Curiously enough, no less a figure than Edward Said himself reacted to the opening chorus in... 3:11 PM

En retard

Please forgive La Cieca’s tardiness this week, cher public, but she had a major snafu with her toilette. Better late than never, though, to begin the discussion of off-topic and general interest subjects.

• PushedUpMezzo says:

With pearls firmly clutched I regret to inform you of rather inappropriate behaviour by one of our Transatlantic friends during dear Mr Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus:

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1819 composer Jacques Offenbach

Born on this day in 1891 soprano Giannina Arangi-Lombardi

Born on this day in 1896 conductor and pianist Wilfrid Pelletier

Born on this day in 1899 soprano Helen Traubel

Born on this day in 1905 mezzo-soprano Helene Bouvier

Happy 77th birthday bass Stafford Dean

Happy 69th birthday tenor Wolfgang Neumann (as the Drum Major)

Happy 68th birthday baritone Brent Ellis

• zinka says:

As a special bonus in honor of Marisa Galvany’s June 19th birthday, I have decided to give as a BONUS all of my Marcello Giordani tapes to anyone who can tell us the TRUE ORIGINAL NAME of Galvany…PLUS,if you can guess all the PHONY names ( Union regulations required this ) I will let you come to my home in Queens (NO NASTY COMMENTS,PLEASE!)with a huge shopping cart, and grab all the Fischer Dieskau tapes.(That will take about 5 seconds.)
    Ain’t I a sweetheart???????

• WindyCityOperaman says:

The operabase websites misses a LOT of birthdays, even established divas/divos, and certainly a lot of the younger people. I always got her mixed up with Maria Glavany when Andy Karzas would play her 78 rpms on his show, I was thinking “Didn’t she do Stuarda with Bubbles?”.

• Buster says:

Or established, ànd young divas, like Eva Lind, who celebrated hers on June 14th:

Tickets for the Wiesbaden May Fest next year went on sale. I got in for the Klaus Florian Vogt, Waltraud Meier, and Barbara Haveman Lohengrin! The program is carefully hidden on their website, and you need to go back and forth to the pogram book to find out about the great May casts (Manuela Uhl, Herlitzius and Soffel for Frau ohne Schatten, for example), that mostly come together for one performance only.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1891 conductor Hermann Scherchen

Born on this day in 1925 mezzo-soprano Larisa Avdeyeva

Born on this day in 1928 soprano Judith Raskin

Happy 78th birthday tenor John Wakefield (as Eurimaco)

Happy 67th birthday soprano Lucy Peacock