• Buster: Frankfurt 15-6 looks great: http://www.oper-fr ankfurt.de/de/page 1019.cfm 5:13 AM
  • Krunoslav: For that matter, Richard Tucker himself was hardly an artist of the consequence of Edgar Evans or... 12:32 AM
  • Krunoslav: “the excellent Marjorie Owens, soon to be Norma at ENO” Owens did well at the Met as... 12:24 AM
  • Bill: PCally – Benackova was truly radiant as Elisabeth and I saw Jones do it several times in Vienna... 12:20 AM
  • Satisfied: My favorite line: Knowing that Ms. Damrau was sick, Dr. Cho expected she would not kiss her... 10:45 PM
  • PCally: Unfortunately I’ve never seen any of those ladies live but Jones and Studer (I can’t... 9:25 PM
  • Poison Ivy: One thing EMW does have that will work in her favor is a naturally sympathetic, warm stage... 9:07 PM
  • Bill: Westbroek may have the prerequisite volume for Elisabeth, but the persistent wobble absolutely turns me... 8:52 PM
  • PCally: I think Elisabeth is actually the right way for her to go. It’s not a very loud role and sits... 8:04 PM
  • whiskey per tutti: I’ve never understood what a “glassy̶ 1; tone is. Definition? YouTube... 6:46 PM

Divinités du stacks

The noble Alceste of Kirsten Flagstad is but one of many fascinating live recordings featured in Opera Depot’s May Sale, with all new titles 40% off through Sunday, May 13. (And while you’re there, don’t forget to download this month’s freebie, a Rosenkavalier featuring Janet Baker and Helga Dernesch.)

• antikitschychick says:

I am still waiting for my Corelli and Norma Cds from Opera Depot….apparently they had a huge sale and the shipping was delayed, ugh -_-.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Don’t let it put you off, antik -- I’ve always had rapid service from them, even over here to FB land.

• antikitschychick says:

I won’t, they sent me an email apologizing for the delay which was nice…I’m just anxious to finally get my hands on those Cds!! lol.

• phoenix says:

despite that 1952 foto, she was once VERY beautiful:

• mjmacmtenor says:

One of the most interesting selections is the Otello with both Del Monaco and Vinay. I know that Vinay started his career as a baritone (not unusual for a heldentenor or big dramatic) and then returned to baritone roles for a while late in his career. I presume he is singing Iago here. Still, it is quite a coup to have two of the greatest Otellos in the same cast. The duet must be thrilling -- anything you can sing, I can sing louder -- and I am sure that they both went for the high note at the end.

• la vociaccia says:

The best thing I got from Opera Depot was that free Varnay compilation, especially since about half of the tracks were from repertoire you don’t normally associate with her, like selections from Il Trovatore, Macbeth and other Italian roles. In addition of course to a dozen or so incredible scenes from Wagner and Strauss