• Don_Dano: Does anyone have problems with the Metropolitan Opera being able to process corporate matching gifts. Each year, I make a... 7:58 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: There is absolutely NO official rule at Bayreuth about not applauding at the end of Act I of... 7:41 PM
  • brackweaver: This is the clearest summary of the plot I’ve encountered. Too bad it is such a mess. Mascagni’s operas have so... 7:36 PM
  • Jack Jikes: Bi “Yes!’ to La Cieca ond Ivy. Standing at Messiah? Precious. 7:10 PM
  • Operngasse: Dear JML, Many thanks for posting this. I was lucky to have heard Astrid Varnay near the end of her career in Elektra and she... 6:44 PM
  • PCally: LOVE her Färberin, even finer than Ludwig, her only rival in the role at the time. 6:30 PM
  • Olivero is my Drug of Choice: Mostly Mozart program for tonight looks fun. Christine Goerke doing D’Oreste, d’Aiace among other things:... 6:27 PM
  • Krunoslav: Great cast. Am I the only one who expected from the original buzz that this would be concert arias and arias from the much less... 6:20 PM

Divinités du stacks

The noble Alceste of Kirsten Flagstad is but one of many fascinating live recordings featured in Opera Depot’s May Sale, with all new titles 40% off through Sunday, May 13. (And while you’re there, don’t forget to download this month’s freebie, a Rosenkavalier featuring Janet Baker and Helga Dernesch.)

• 1
    antikitschychick says:

I am still waiting for my Corelli and Norma Cds from Opera Depot….apparently they had a huge sale and the shipping was delayed, ugh -_-.

• 1.1
      Cocky Kurwenal says:

Don’t let it put you off, antik -- I’ve always had rapid service from them, even over here to FB land.

• 1.1.1
        antikitschychick says:

I won’t, they sent me an email apologizing for the delay which was nice…I’m just anxious to finally get my hands on those Cds!! lol.

• 2
    phoenix says:

despite that 1952 foto, she was once VERY beautiful:

• 3
    mjmacmtenor says:

One of the most interesting selections is the Otello with both Del Monaco and Vinay. I know that Vinay started his career as a baritone (not unusual for a heldentenor or big dramatic) and then returned to baritone roles for a while late in his career. I presume he is singing Iago here. Still, it is quite a coup to have two of the greatest Otellos in the same cast. The duet must be thrilling -- anything you can sing, I can sing louder -- and I am sure that they both went for the high note at the end.

• 4
    la vociaccia says:

The best thing I got from Opera Depot was that free Varnay compilation, especially since about half of the tracks were from repertoire you don’t normally associate with her, like selections from Il Trovatore, Macbeth and other Italian roles. In addition of course to a dozen or so incredible scenes from Wagner and Strauss