• Rowna: I hope Cocky and Mandryka can see this – for some reason I can’t respond to their replies... 3:33 PM
  • Fluffy-net: I have a young friend who was looking for an apartment a year ago (he lived in Prenzlauer Berg).... 3:23 PM
  • MontyNostry: Or was manou being Agnostic? 3:21 PM
  • ML: No. He took the position that all, not just some, performances benefit from prompting. What do you... 3:18 PM
  • kashania: And here I was thinking “What does ‘Endra’ ; mean?” 3:14 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Yes and it is an opera which you cannot hear that often. I would also prefer the Bieto... 3:07 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: I was looking at IBIS or Leonardo. Meininger and Motel One I can check into. Dresden is all... 3:05 PM
  • Lohengrin: Nofretete is in the very beautiful Neues Museum. Please book Your ticket from home to miss the... 2:59 PM
  • Lohengrin: What meens “like going to Kassel”? 2:57 PM
  • Lohengrin: I prefer Meininger or Motel One. They are not so expensive and mostly good located. 2:56 PM

Divinités du stacks

The noble Alceste of Kirsten Flagstad is but one of many fascinating live recordings featured in Opera Depot’s May Sale, with all new titles 40% off through Sunday, May 13. (And while you’re there, don’t forget to download this month’s freebie, a Rosenkavalier featuring Janet Baker and Helga Dernesch.)

• antikitschychick says:

I am still waiting for my Corelli and Norma Cds from Opera Depot….apparently they had a huge sale and the shipping was delayed, ugh -_-.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Don’t let it put you off, antik -- I’ve always had rapid service from them, even over here to FB land.

• antikitschychick says:

I won’t, they sent me an email apologizing for the delay which was nice…I’m just anxious to finally get my hands on those Cds!! lol.

• phoenix says:

despite that 1952 foto, she was once VERY beautiful:

• mjmacmtenor says:

One of the most interesting selections is the Otello with both Del Monaco and Vinay. I know that Vinay started his career as a baritone (not unusual for a heldentenor or big dramatic) and then returned to baritone roles for a while late in his career. I presume he is singing Iago here. Still, it is quite a coup to have two of the greatest Otellos in the same cast. The duet must be thrilling -- anything you can sing, I can sing louder -- and I am sure that they both went for the high note at the end.

• la vociaccia says:

The best thing I got from Opera Depot was that free Varnay compilation, especially since about half of the tracks were from repertoire you don’t normally associate with her, like selections from Il Trovatore, Macbeth and other Italian roles. In addition of course to a dozen or so incredible scenes from Wagner and Strauss