• NPW-Paris: I tried some of my Italian learnt from Monteverdi’s Orfeo on Roman friends. It made them... 3:14 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Aaaaargh bis : champ. 3:12 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Aaaaargh “champs de blé” – whenever will we be allowed to edit here? 3:09 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Well I’ve always thought knowing Bluebeard’s Castle would be handy for complaining to... 3:08 AM
  • MontyNostry: I didn’t listen to the entire Figaro, but the conducting was fatally turgid. Bill, I saw... 2:43 AM
  • UpB7: I heard yester-day’s radio broadcast of the Met’s “Nozze di Figaro”. It sounded... 2:37 AM
  • zinka: I had posted on “learning a language through opera.” If all you know is what you know from... 1:51 AM
  • antikitschychick: OMG so I finally watched “A Night at The Opera” by the Marx brothers and... 1:48 AM
  • antikitschychick: Awww that sounds like a lovely trip DSS. Sorry about the wretched Christmas music lol. Btw... 1:29 AM
  • pirelli: Today’s “Figaro̶ 1; sounded very much like the Sirius broadcast earlier this week... 12:45 AM

Song of the lark

Our Own Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin presents Natalie Dessay in recital.

Natalie Dessay

Extase

Richard Strauss:
Ich schwebe
Wasserrose
Fruhlingsgedrange, opus 26, no 1
Die Nacht

[Cassard requests the audience to refrain from applause at the end of each selection.]

Gabriel Fauré:
Apres un reve
Clair de lune
Prison
Mandoline
En sourdine

François Poulenc: Fiançailles pour rire
La Dame d’Andre
Dans l’herbe
Il vole
Mon cadavre est doux comme un gant
Violon
Fleurs

Claude Debussy:
Apparition
Romance d’Ariel

Encores:
Chausson: “Le Colibri” unidentified [Dessay can be heard to say "Hummingbird" to the audience.]
Rachmaninov: “Zdes’ khorosho”

• orlando says:

I’m pretty sure that first encore is Chausson’s Le Colibri (The Hummingbird).

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

That’s it! Many thanks! I looked up the French word for hummingbird and tried Google to see if any chanson turned up, but I got nothing. I will make the correction on the Mixcloud page and add my thanks.

• orlando says:

You’re very welcome, and I’m glad to help.
        Thank you for sharing all of these treasures!

• alejandro says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Thank you, JML! And I am pleased to inform the Parterriat that Mlle. Dessay and M. Cassard will perform the same programme here in Dublin in the 1,100-seater National Concert Hall next March with seat prices ranging from €35 to €60 -- a veritable snip!

Book your St. Patrick’s Day trip now, feck off to Europe for a few days’ opera-going in between and then come back for the 26th when they’ll be here:

The cover star for next season’s International Concert Series, Joyce DiDonato, shows up three weeks later and is top-priced at €100-€145 (with NYPO/Gilbert, let us note -- Shéhérazade features) and Wexford alumnus Juan Diego Flórez is not far behind at €75-€125 with our own, excellent, RTECO/Rolli. Note his date: Saturday 25 October, when the Wexford Festival will also be in full swing. The last Monday in October is a holiday, and I’d normally be in Wexford for the long weekend, but I reckon on breaking with tradition just this once.

• alejandro says:

I think I paid $40 to see Dessay at Carnegie Hall. I was sitting up in the balcony, but it was perfectly fine. I’m a working lad opera lover and I can only do cheap seats.

God bless the working lad (and lasses) who gladly fork over their forty bucks, hard won, to see and hear a living artist performing live in real time and space.

If only there were more of you guys.

An appreciation from
        Camille

• alejandro says:

Thank you. I was raised by a working class dad who loved the arts. It’s why I am super supportive of anything that democratizes the fine arts to all people. I am grateful for PBS and public libraries for making opera and theater accessible to me growing up.

(these days I am grateful to YouTube and Spotify and cheap seats! LOL!)

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

Please understand that I am not mocking anyone nor do I mean this in any negative connotation, but I was reminded of a cartoon in, I think, the old Christopher Street magazine from the 1970s. It showed a drawing of the Met’s auditorium with, from bottom to top, the following designations: “Orchestra; Parterre; Grand Tier; Dress Circle; Balcony; Poverty-Stricken Gay Man Who Have To See Everything.”

Alejandro, you were just born too late! I went to the Met usually between three and six times a week in my university years when Family Circle standing room was $1.85 (an Orchestra seat was $13.50). I recall that at NYCO standing room was $1 (or else you just slipped the usher a one dollar bill if the show was sold out).

• alejandro says:

No offense taken . . . and in many ways . . . yes, I was born too late. I feel like I was born at the tail end of a cultural world that just evaporated in my 20s. It’s hard because I wanted to work in the theater and write plays and it’s been a hard lesson to learn that the theater I wanted to make just isn’t possible for me for various reasons--money being the biggest one. But my nights at the opera are some of the few little bits of “this is why I moved to New York 22 years ago” that I have left.

• Ilka Saro says:

Wow. I got to NYC in 1983 somewhat later, when Family Circle standing was 5 bucks. And yeah, sometimes I ate ramen and jiffy corn bread so that I could squeeze that 5 bucks out of my puny budget. But the company of those other poverty stricken gay men was superb! And the casts were, um, stronger.

You DO KNOW about the same day tickets at Carnegie Hall for ten bucks? I do not know if feasible with your work schedule, but you stand out front for an hour or two or three and when the box office opens at ????? ten or eleven a.m., you can get the same balcony tix for ten dollars instead. Occasionally, they will not even sell all of those and one may breeze in at a much later time and still pick up tix at that price. If at all convenient to your schedule, give it a try. It takes some forbearance but, in the end, may be worth it to you. And good luck to you.

• alejandro says:

Yeah, I work 9-6 so it isn’t feasible. I’d be doing Rush tix at the Met more often if I could. I have a friend who can WORK while standing in line for Met Rush Tix on weekdays. He just brings his wireless devices and gets stuff done while he waits. LOL.

Just FYI: They are also available for the weekend performances, it’s not just a Monday through Friday thing. Just so you know. Try getting the cheaper tickets, even at 7 pm! Ask! It won’t hurt to try and you may be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

Liebste Jungferissima!
    We should all set you aloft on a Silberschüssel and parade you through the streets of Vienna shouting “Hosannah!”, whilst proclaiming your gloria in sempiternum.
    I am not quite sure how you manage to access all these items but most deeply grateful that you do!

Thank you so much and so kindly for this doux souvenir. I especially recall the Poulenc song ” Mon cadavre est doux comme un gant” being touchingly rendered, as well as the “Chanson d’Ariel” being executed and sung in a manner equal to the best of her salad days.
    Other than being unsure about the Brahms songs, I believe the program here is identical to the one presented in Carnegie Hall. I do not have my program at hand, but someone here may be able to confirm. The encores, other than the Rachmaninov song, were different.

I wish her the best in this new phase. A great artist who has upon occasion given me great joy in the theatre. And am I wrong to still long to hear a Mélisande at the MET???

• antikitschychick says:

OMG THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH J.MARIANNE!!! I can’t wait to listen to this!!!

You see—

Never give up hope about hearing someone you love and admire, even when it seems hopeless—I know, I know, you and *LUMI* are star-crossed lovers!!!

After despairing of ever getting to hear Mariella Devia, and after having foolishly not gone to have heard her with OONY when I could have and, admittedly only becoming aware of her in the last five years, the miracle of miracles has happened and on the fifth of June I’ll get to hear her in Roberto Devereux, an unimagined boon for me!

Your day with *LUMI* will arrive. I promise.

• antikitschychick says:

haha thanks for embracing my quirkiness dear Camille and congrats on getting to see Ms. Devia soon! I agree she is fantastic :-) .

You are a very, very smart young woman, and there is nothing quirky about you at all as far as I can see.

Will you be reporting on your travels to Germany this coming summer to us?
          Here is hoping so and hoping your Reise is fun and interesting and a success. Pack lightly!

• antikitschychick says:

aww, thank you for the kind words Camille and for expressing interest in my travels :-) . I will try and report on Anja H’s recital which I will be attending (thanks to Feld!) and any other performances I can attend…my cousin who is very into theater mentioned he wanted to take me to the Komische Oper but Im not sure how often I’ll have access to internet so no promises lol :-P . I’ll definitely report back once I return though :-) .

Keep a travel diary or keep a fee notes every day or for every performance and a ticket. Just a bit to jog your memory and your memory will do the rest!

Gute Reise! I wish you a happy and productive summer vacay.

• antikitschychick says:

Grazie Camille! :-)

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

antikitschychick: so you’re coming to Germany? Will you hit any of the festivals? I have the whole package for Salzburg Pfingsten, all seven operas at Bayreuth, a few at Bregenz (I’m mostly going to hear Philippe Jordan conduct the “War Requiem”), and haven’t decided if I should go to Salzburg for the summer festival or take a real vacation. If you’d like to meet up, send me an e-mail with your itinerary.

• antikitschychick says:

hi Jungfer :-) yes I will be visiting Germany this summer but I wont be able to attend any festivals since I wont be going in August. Right now my flight is set for the end of June and I was planning on staying til the end of July but that might change. I really would love to go to Bayreuth but apparently tickets are impossible to come by…hopefully I’ll be able to go sometime in the near future. Hope you have a blast at all those performances you’ll be attending and yes I’d love to meet up. I’ll send you an email once I have my itinerary set :-) . XO.

• CurlyOperaGal says:

FYI Bayreuth now offers online tickets to certain performances. No guarantee they’ll do the same thing next year, but worth keeping an eye out for come fall.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

CurlyOperaGal: all those Bayreuth tickets up for grabs on the Internet sold out on the first day they were available back in October. Be sure to check the Web site NEXT September for the date to order for 2015.

• antikitschychick says:

Thanks for the heads up CityOperaGal. I did see that tickets were being sold on the Internet but I wasn’t planning that far ahead…but it’s definitely on my bucket list to attend a Bayreuth festival at least once so I’ll keep an eye out!

• antikitschychick says:

whoops! Sorry I called you “city” opera gal instead of “curly”. My bad :-P .

• pasavant says:

I will be attending the second Ring Cycle at Bayreuth plus Tannhauser in August. I am trying to decide between two hotels: the Golden Anker which is not air conditioned and the Arvena Kongress which is air conditioned. Do you recommend an air conditioned hotel in Bayreuth? Also since the Wagner museum and the Margrave theater will both be closed this summer, is there anything else worth seeing in Bayreuth? Thanks.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Der Goldene Anker is a very charming and beautiful hotel and I can only recommend it. I always try to avoid any place that has air-conditioning. :)

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

The weather in Bayreuth in mid-August is usually comfortable (maybe a bit humid), so I wouldn’t say air-conditioning is a necessity, although I have grown used to its total absence in Europe. The place I always stay in Bayreuth isn’t air conditioned and I’m fine with it. It depends on your personal needs for comfort. Do bring a folding umbrella, as brief but strong summer showers can pop up out of nowhere.

Unfortunately with the renovations going on there isn’t much to see in Bayreuth, but you can at least go to the garden of Villa Wahnfried and have a look at the graves of Richard, Cosima, and their dog. I am not sure if the Liszt house next door is open or also under renovation. It’s not like you want to be doing a lot of other things, especially if you are jamming a lot of operas into a few days. You really need to start getting ready – and that means showering, dressing and having a light lunch – by about 14:00 and you will want to be on the “Green Hill” no later than 15:30-15:45. If your seat numbers are high (there are as many as 51 seats in a row and no aisles), you need to enter the auditorium when the first fanfare sounds at precisely 15:45 or else incur the wrath of the 25 people you have to crawl over. Just FYI: the seats are barely padded and there are no armrests. Intermissions are one hour, so you won’t be getting out till 22:00 or later (give or take) and will then want to pursue a nice dinner, probably at the other end of town (restaurants all stay open late on performance nights). So just going to the operas is really a fulltime activity!

I, too, will be at the second “Ring” and the “Tannhäuser” between “Die Walkure” and “Siegfried.” Perhaps we can meet.

While we are talking about Bayreuth: a while ago somebody posted a few restaurant recommendations, but I didn’t bookmark the page. Would the connaisseurs care to post those recommendations again?

• Feldmarschallin says:

Oedipe avoid the Bürgerreuth which is now not what the name might imply but a very overpriced Italian restuarant where they look at you if you do not order three courses. If you want to walk to something nice and casual where we paid about 10-13€ for entrees and they have us free usu at the end, go to the Greek restaurant which is very close to where the Holländer Stuben used to be. You must walk down the hill and it is on the right hand side on a corner and you go up a few steps. We didn’t even need a reservation.

Thanks, Feld.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Here I found it again.

• Feldmarschallin says:

I had the Schnitzel mit griechischen Pommes and my friend she had the Garnelen and we were both very happy with the quality and the sizes! Mine came to 10€ and hers to 13€.

• DeepSouthSenior says:

Lovely! I’m out of retirement for a few days’ consulting work. What a wonderful companion for a sterile office with no windows.

At 49, Natalie is still quite a “young lady” to me.

• Milady DeWinter says:

Thank you indeed, Jungfer Marianne -- how lovely this is! And my favorite (or at least, close to it) song cycle of all -- the Poulenc “Fiancailles pour rire” -- which I just got to hear Susan Graham perform in recital the other night. So different from Natalie’s, yet both wonderful.
    And “Le colibri” is an exquisite little thing, isn’t it?

• pasavant says:

Thank you for the helpful reply Jungfer. I would like to get together with you in Bayreuth. How can we arrange this?