• ML: @ LaC and Ian: Audi has done good work. It was a disaster to ask architects to design a theater set and a... 4:03 AM
  • La Cieca: Muti chose the cast and put forward Audi’s name as director. 3:15 AM
  • steveac10: This is mutually respect (and delightfully camp all at once! httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=Y... 2:34 AM
  • steveac10: This is what’s being lost. If this were Renee and Nathan last week, Parterre would be giving... 2:19 AM
  • ianw2: but saddling him with a shit staging built around incompetent big names and convincing him never to... 1:54 AM
  • ML: … but saddling him with a shit staging built around incompetent big names and convincing him never... 1:40 AM
  • ML: The subject, after the “as a tenured professor” clause, is SANDOW, not m. croche or... 1:34 AM
  • Constantine A. Papas: So did I, except for Grigolo. 12:31 AM
  • Clita del Toro: I watched about half of The Requiem as I didn’t know it was on. I did enjoy it. 12:04 AM
  • 98rsd: Am I missing some key fact? Is there a reason an orchestra member SHOULD be paid more “than,... 12:00 AM

The girl on the moon

“In Kristine Opolais, who gave her first Met performance in the title role on Friday night, the company has a Butterfly with the soaring voice and penetrating theatrical presence to meet Minghella’s elegant dramaturgy head on. In fact, she is the most compelling Met Cio-Cio-San since Diana Soviero last sang the role here nearly 20 years ago.” [New York Observer] (Photo: Marty Sohl/Metropolitan Opera)

• alejandro says:

I think Valenti sucked the life out of everything in Act One, but boy did Opolais bring the goods in Act Two. The drama was immense. That death scene was amazing. I was in tears and then muttered “bow down bitches” before I began my “bravas!”

• Poison Ivy says:

Guys, while we’re on Ms. O, I found the HD of “O soave fanciulla”:

And here, for comparison’s sake, is Anita Hartig:

• Rudolf says:

Ivy, Thank you much for these interesting sound samples. I am glad now that I did not attend the HD in the movie theatre. Mr. Grigolo’s voice has no appeal for me. I think his voice blends better with Ms. Hartig’s. As for Ms. Opolais, I have not yet heard her live but various samples tell me that I cannot warm to her voice. :-)

• alejandro says:

From the clips of that HD online, I think she sounds a little tired . . . which is understandable. But it’s still a formidable achievement to sound like that given she sang Butterfly the previous evening … and she’s in a production she’s never rehearsed.

• alejandro says:

I’m a total newb but I find Grigolo pleasant sounding. He’s also very charismatic. From what I read here, I was expecting to hear something really awful, but … sue me …. I like it.

From what I read here, I was expecting to hear something really awful

Hmm, I wonder what might have given you that idea…

Why were you “expecting” something awful, what has led you in this biased direction?

Hey, there’s no such thing as a prevailing view capable of biasing your opinion (or at least, so I’ve been repeatedly told).

• alejandro says:

I am not understanding your question. I read a lot of griping about his singing in Boheme on this site. I was expecting him to be out of his league vocally, but he sounds just fine to my ears.

Oedipe, there’s certainly no prevailing opinion here about Grigolo. If you look at any thread about him, there’s a more or less even spread of admirers and detractors.

Once again you’ve picked an example which proves the opposite of your point.

I know, I’ve seen all those negative comments too.

…but some people might say you just “imagined” you saw griping, rather than praise, or whatever, Alejandro.

Oedipe- there’s plenty of griping, and there’s plenty of praise too.

I mean, people can read, you know. When I say there’s plenty of praise on here for Grigolo I’m stating a fact, not offering an opinion. A verifiable fact: read the threads.

• alejandro says:

Yikes, oedipe, I am referring to reviews about his Rodolfo that I casually read on here last week. I read the review of his recital which was actually positive.

• Poison Ivy says:

Yes Oedipe my review of his recital and Boheme were total slams. Do you even read?

• Rackon says:

I’m not a newb, and I don’t get the hate for Grigolo either. Don’t worry -- just enjoy.

• Milady DeWinter says:

I had thought so too Rudolf, but last night made a believer out of me. She knocked it out of the park. Magnificent.

• williams says:

Hadn’t intended going until reading JJ’s review. My sincere thanks to LaCieca for posting Mr. Jorden’s piece. This was a performance I won’t soon forget. Her Magda last year was delightful but this is a part that really suits her vocally & dramatically. It has been a long long time since Cio Cio San has brought me to tears.
      Apropos of the earlier thread on opera fashion I saw some gorgeous ladies kimonos last night. Most of them were worn by women.

• antikitschychick says:

Hola queridos!

great review and lovely photo of Ms. Opolais! Does anyone perhaps have a recording of last night’s performance they’d be gracious enough to share? I really wanted to listen to the broadcast but, alas, ma bum aint gonna tone itself :-P .

• alejandro says:

Ooh . . . I was actually thinking about what you would think about it!

It’s too bad she wasn’t paired with Hymel and this wasn’t taped.

• alejandro says:

For video that is.

• antikitschychick says:

yeah its a shame indeed (though I’m hopeful a recording will surface on YT or something in the coming days). I’m happy for her success as she seems to be a hard-working, serious artist…I’m really curious to hear her rendition of Butterfly though so I can get an idea of what she’s capable of offering. You’re lucky you got to see it live!

• Bill says:

Alejandro -- at this time Hymel is singing Pinketon in Vienna with Hui He and Markus Eiche -- all but the conductor (Jonathan Darlington) had good reviews though there were some quibbles about Hymel’s lack of sweetness in the voice mentioning the metallic sound -- it was Hymel’s Vienna debut but he is not listed for anything there next season.

• alejandro says:

I meant that he sang it with Echelaz here earlier and I heard she wasn’t that great, so it’s a shame they couldn’t get a good tenor and a good soprano together. I was so torn about which cast to see. Same thing with Boheme next season. Usually I like the Rodolfo but not the Mimi. Ack!

• Yes, that would be wonderful to have (hint).

• antikitschychick says:

Hey there Lurker. Thanks for the hint! Lol how might I go about hitting up the hinter? (Nice Tumblr you’ve got btw).

Happy Friday to the Cher public as well :-)

• Hi AKC -- Hope you didn’t interpret my post as having something to share -- I was hoping someone else had something to share!

But you can contact me at roselovr @ nyc.rr.com (without the spaces) and I just added a message link to my tumblr.

Thanks for the props!

:grin:

• Satisfied says:

I believe someone inquired about her Sempre Libera…here’s a nice clip with some fierce signing. gets a little out of control at the end, but otherwise very impressive.