• Porgy Amor: Interesting, Will; I think that the view of him as cold is not entirely supported either. Once he... 9:24 PM
  • Porgy Amor: didn’t care for it . . . despite adoring everything else I’ve seen by him. The Bregenz Trovatore... 9:08 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Last night at Le Cirque Bocelli fired off a fine high C as he accompanied himself... 9:03 PM
  • alejandro: I’ve seen the Carsen production on DVD and didn’t care for it . . . despite adoring... 9:01 PM
  • alejandro: Thank you for this review because now I am officially obsessed with Sabine Devielhe. I watched her... 8:57 PM
  • la vociaccia: That’s the thing; he gets them on a fast-track. He doesn’t actually teach them a... 8:33 PM
  • Niel Rishoi: Excellent review, Ivy, detailed and keen. I listened to the clip of Rebeka singing “Sempre... 7:57 PM
  • Will: I like the idea of a cold Germont; I have felt for a long time that the supposed warm father/daughter... 7:52 PM
  • olliedawg: “richly deserves every…” ; (fingers & brain out of alignment this evening) 7:39 PM
  • olliedawg: GM — wow..what a list of the fabulous and fantastic! 7:38 PM

Do my eyes deceive me?

Which artist who recently won acclaim at the Met will return to that theater very soon to provide an unexpected “bright” spot in a much-anticipated revival this spring?

• Milady DeWinter says:

:) Yes, perfidia -- perhaps during the weekdays, a Virgin Mary with your coffee and croissant is a better idea.
    MdW

• perfidia says:

No croissant on weekdays. Comes Saturday I get drunk on carbs, so we are not taking a croissant but rather the whole patisserie. Then every Sunday is Ash Wednesday.

• Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

Sonya Yoncheva and conductor Domingo Hindoyan are expecting a baby. Due this fall.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Does that mean San Francisco can expect a cancellation? Possibly the Met Boheme in January also?

• Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

I would think so. Both are not that important anyway (*ducking*). The only pity would be Romeo et Juliette with Bobby at the Teatro Real.

• NPW-Paris says:

Hmm. She’s supposed to sing Télaïre in Castor et Pollux at the TCE in October.

• Regina delle fate says:

She’s still singing baroque stuff?

• Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

It’s not a bad idea to have that here and there. It’s good for the voice. I just don’t know how she would be managing the London-Munich shuttle this month.

• Grane says:

OT, but Slipped Disc is reporting that Angela has backed out of Faust.

• Grane says:

Oops, meant to include link. Thank you, CK. Yes, that’s our Angela!

• Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

Amusing and delusional.

• PetertheModest says:

Stepping in is not her forte, it seems.

• Lady Abbado says:

She succeeds at being her own worst enemy. Maybe a composer should write an opera for her -- she is far more fascinating than Floria Tosca or Adrianne Lecouvreur!

Maybe she and Rufus Wainwright could work on something together.

• alejandro says:

Angela Gheorghiu in THE REAL HOUSEWIFE OF ROMANIA.

That is just plain downright evil, Monty N.!
              Why, mercy me, I am just mortified by the thought of it!

Where are my smelling salts………

She would actually be brilliant in PRIMA DONNA, if it were only any good.

• m. croche says:

“Waiting for Angela” ossia “Nothing to be Done”

• Lady Abbado says:

On further thought, I don’t know if she’s to blame or the people surrounding her: isn’t there any person with enough common sense around her to explain to her what’s wrong with this kind of statement?

The text itself must have been corrected by some acolyte, because Angie’s English ain’t that good…so why that person didn’t alert Angie to the many bizarre items in the statement?

I also note that Angie doesn’t get a chance to learn from honest feedback: I went out for lunch, and by the time I returned I noticed that a couple of the critical but polite replies to her Facebook statement have been deleted. The ones left show how deluded fans themselves can be…

• Krunoslav says:

How about presenting Angela in a (specially tailored-for-her, natch) MAKROPULOS CASE?

• alejandro says:

My God, the woman needs serious therapy for her narcissistic personality disorder.

• Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

I don’t think it’s narcissism. I believe she’s actually a very insecure and unhappy woman. The charades are a coping mechanism.

Just when we thought that Angela was going to have a season during which she, you know, actually made a few appearances here and there. I hope her voice sounds good in her practice room ’cause few people ever get a chance to hear it anymore.

• PetertheModest says:

Cancellation Queen is quite a contest this year.

• Poison Ivy says:

As an interesting aside, Piotr Beczala’s FB is usually filled with gushing about the sopranos he’s singing with. Every soprano is the most beautiful and wonderful, etc. He posts lots if happy backstage selfies. But he’s been strangely silent during the Bastille Bohemes so … Maybe things aren’t so happy backstage?

• Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

Good observation!

By the way, what was this outburst that Angela had at the interview during the broadcast of La Boheme recently? Did anyone hear it? What did she say?

• Poison Ivy says:

From what I understand she ranted against the management for making her sing the broadcast. She said she was sick and she wanted them to replay the earlier performance but they said no. She went on like this for awhile.

• messa di voce says:

That is, she wanted to sing the performance and collect her fee, but she didn’t want it broadcast in spite of a signed contract.

• Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

Thanks.

Yes, read all about ‘ The Cancellation’ , with wonderful illustration of Ange taking it easy in the park, PLUS, the new Maria Callas Museum in Athens.

The cafe is called “La Divina” on Intermezzo. Eat hour hearts out.

• Milady DeWinter says:

Alas, no ball of light streaming through the auditorium last night. More like a momentary failure of a smoke detector.

• Tamino says:

“Al brillar di sì bell’ora” = Puritani

Thank you, Tamino mein! I have been trying to come up with that for hours—knew there was something in that score with a “bri”.

Now then, it would appear far more likely Sr. Camarena would be substituting as Don Ramiro, at least based on his schedule:

Of course, he could always do a Callas and learn it in a week….he must already know “A te, o cara” and the third act scena.

On verra.

• williams says:

Until recently Angela’s dramatic curtain calls always had a peculiar element. She would execute a deep bow almost prostrate, gown spread about the floor, lift her hand, palm towards her, high above her head and slowly lower it with a sweep towards the audience. Every time I saw her execute this move her index and ring finger would droop slightly leaving the middle digit alone and aloft. Doubting myself I pointed this out to my companions one evening and they thought I was nuts. At the night’s end out she came to her ovation and down she went to the stage slowly giving the entire house the bird. My entire box couldn’t stop laughing until the lights went up.

• FaustinaBordoni says:

By the way, I can’t help but notice that Angela Gheorghiu has stills get work despite her narcissistic, bitchy antics. Many moons ago Kathleen Battle carried on, ruffling as many feathers as Angela Gheorghiu has. But Kathleen Battle got fired from the Met. The rest is history.

Why is Gheorghiu still employed by the MET? Shouldn’t she be treated similarly?

• kennedet says:

I don’t think any one can surpass Ms. Battle’s antics. They are legendary and well documented. Also, she continues to have them although the career and the firings are long past history.We have discussed her ad nauseum on this blog but everytime I see her name, I shudder. What a waste of a one-time glorius talent. There must be a movie somewhere in all of this.

Jada Pinkett Smith? Halle Berry? There’s a hell of a part somewhere for an African-American actress.

I’m just annoyed that Stockard Channing is now too old for the Steber biopic of my dreams.

• williams says:

Wait! Why not an opera? Maybe Mary Zimmerman directing Pretty Yende as Cathy & Placido as Jimmy in a production of a rehearsal of Adriana LeCouvreur

• kennedet says:

O.K., armer…you started this. I vote for Halle Berry. I think a movie better than an opera. There needs to be a love interest…maybe someone to play Wynton Marsalis as a love interest. F. Murray Abraham as Joe Volpe. Ru Paul as Jessye Norman. Somebody stop me!!

• Ruxxy says:

There must be a part for Naomi Campbell somewhere?

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

I won’t stop you as long as you’re coming up with genius notions like Ru Paul as Jessye.

• kennedet says:

Wait a minute! We better be careful.Didn’t Ms. Norman try to sue someone for slander years ago because they joked about her being stuck in a revolving door? Help me somebody…I’m sure I didn’t make that up.

Also, all praises to Ms. Norman for the best “O Glaube” I have ever heard live.

kennedet:

…There was a flurry of articles a few years ago about a lawsuit she brought against a British magazine for telling a story about her being trapped in a revolving door and being advised to go sideways. The magazine quoted her as saying: ”Honey, I ain’t got no sideways.”
              Ms. Norman said the other day that the story was old and may have originally been about a German singer. She never said it, she reiterated, even though she lost the lawsuit. She said that she felt the fabricated comment was a slap at all African-Americans, a way of saying that to be black is to exist in the vernacular.

Ru’s more of a Leontyne Price, I reckon.

• rapt says:

I’m sort of astounded to hear this story seriously applied to Norman--the first I read the “sideways” riposte, years ago, it was supposedly Schumann-Heink addressing the conductor Gabrilowitsch.

• Ruxxy says:

Well -- at least we can always get Oprah to do it -- girlfren can do anything! :)

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Julia Roberts for Carol Vaness.

• FaustinaBordoni says:

Note: I realize that this latest fiasco invoves Baden Baden, not the Met. Nonetheless, as I recall, AG has made the Met suffer too.

• Lady Abbado says:

I think it’s a misnomer to say she’s employed by the MET: there are no new productions organized around her or for her. We are talking about two guest performances of La Boheme, in a role that’s easily replaceable in case she were to cancel. So the MET isn’t risking anything with this.

I think there’s far more risk in relying on Poplavskaya to pull off the Countess for the season opening!

• FaustinaBordoni says:

Agreed re: Popsy singing the Countess. I can’t think of one good reason for that casting choice. What do you make of it? The Countess requires vocal qualities and skills that Popsy simply does not have.

• PetertheModest says:

Eyre is directing; he has worked with Popsy before, but, as far as I can see, Levine has not conducted her before. She has had 4 major cancellations in the past year and seems to be out of Tannhauser. She is still down for Nozze and next year, 2015, will do Onegin again, and Alice Ford in Falstaff at ROH. I can only think that Eyre thinks she is such a good actress, hopefully not too many people will notice her singing, but some will, of course.

• alejandro says:

She sounded horrible in Onegin this season--and I say this as a Popsy fan--but God, I loved watching her. Her bizarre casting in this role (and Peter Mattei) are the things that are calling me to see this. I have a hard time connecting to Mozart on stage. Granted, I also don’t have tons of experience with him (one Zauberflote, two Giovannis, and a Clemenza).

Remember now that she was really sick with bronchitis. That was a part of it. I heard the last two performances, which had the space of a week in between them, and the last one she had cleared up some and it was slightly improved.

A truly marvelous stage animal -- I only wish she could clear up her major vocal problems, stay well, and find a Fach that works for her. I do dread another set of Traviatas. Oy.

• laddie says:

Could you tell us more about “seems to be out of Tannhauser?”

Eyre is a replacement himself- and in any case I very much doubt he has the clout to insist on a particular singer.

• PetertheModest says:

Not insist, suggest; and Gelb is a known Popsy-pusher; so the only odd factor is Levine agreeing to her without having conducted her before in an actual production, as far as I could find out.

• Flora del Rio Grande says:

Faustina -- I would have agreed with you, but lately I heard a live recording of a Don Giovanni perf. with Miss Popsy as Anna and it was astonishingly good! She sang it lightly (had to!),but with great musicality and dramatic effect.I had no idea she had the chops to be a good Mozartean, though I gather this was a decade or more ago. Anyone know of that perf.?
          God bless her; she has her troubles. She wants to do well but simply has not got her art sufficiently together these days to make it all work at the same time. There has always been so much tension in her jaw, in her vocal production, I am surprised she has gone on this long. I wish her well but am not optimistic.

• PetertheModest says:

Was that the 2008 Giovanni at ROH with Keenlyside ? If so (I cannot find another on her Schedule at Operabase),
            she acts it brilliantly; some of it she sings quite well, but you can easily find people who sing it better. The overall effect is pretty impressive.

I saw that DG: she was announced as indisposed and, never having heard of her, I assumed that she was singing very carefully on a cold. As it turned out, it was the best I’ve ever heard her.

• PetertheModest says:

But, is the tension in the jaw actually caused by her jaw, by the size of it, (it is huge); or does she have muscular tension caused defective technique which is merely reflected in her jaw ? That is the question.

• La Cieca says:

Flora will have to wait until Mme. Poplavskaya comes by the studio for another voice lesson before she can say definitively.

• Rowna says:

I was trying to reply to a comment but kept getting bounced around -- so here is a guess -- how bout Pretty Yende -- someone mentioned a coloratura -- and Pretty and bright must have something in common somewhere!

Last I heard about Pretty Yende was that she was considering an appointment in the artistic administration of the San Diego Opera -- no joke.