• m. croche: And for those who couldn’t make it, Actual Footage of Batty’s Big Birthday Bash! 1:57 AM
  • m. croche: Watch Batty grow up from a baby to a strapping young man (with sidearm) in this highlights reel... 1:55 AM
  • Buster: Just got his 1934 Pagliacci with Tibbett, and Queena Mario. One of the most exciting Met broadcasts I... 1:42 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: Ruxxy says: “Re the veil — to you it may well be the pinnacle of sophistication... 11:57 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Party on! httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=3Ibd nTeMGpM 11:46 PM
  • m. croche: Happy Birthday, Caro Batty! httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=Jn9_ 6yINCy4 11:35 PM
  • ilpenedelmiocor: But that is precisely the point: those of us who live far from New York are NOT able to see... 11:31 PM
  • m. croche: Those primitive foreigners, amirite? 11:26 PM
  • danpatter: THANKS SO MUCH for posting this! What a terrific discovery, this should have been released on... 11:12 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: I find myself agreeing with about one-third of what redbear says. This is really scary. Who... 11:00 PM

The lovely bones

“Peter Gelb, the Met’s general manager… has engaged Mr. Domingo to sing Don Carlo in Ernani next season, Simon Boccanegra the following season and Nabucco in 2016-17.” [New York Times]

• Henry Holland says:

Good, anything that keeps him thousands of miles from Los Angeles is fine with me.

As to Sr. Domingo putting butts in seats — just checking again for Student Ticket Offers,( as that is a task I perform for the good of my husband’s students), there are offers for tickets on both March 12 and March 20th for The Enchanted Island, with Domingo, of course. Now, those offers are only made if they are really, really not selling the house.

Also, FWIW2Y: Plenty of Sonnambula tickets, Wozzeck, and Vittorio Grigolo tickets still available for students, an unusual high number.

Watching Student Ticket Offers is always an interesting indication of what is working, and what is not.

• La Valkyrietta says:

There are few operas I adore more than Sonnambula, Camille, but I will not go to the Met to see that disgusting show that carries the beloved name, even if the tickets were free. I saw this “production” once and was sick for days. :(

• Satisfied says:

Ugh, I agree with you about the production but I don’t want to miss Damrau’s only New York opera this season! Am I wrong in saying this will be her first Amina?

No, you’re not.

I’d actually be quite interested to see this, were I a New Yorker. In among all the fury there were a few quiet, interesting voices piping up to say how much they enjoyed it.

• Batty Masetto says:

I liked it (in the HD). It didn’t bowl me over, but it was amusing and had a good deal of charm in a completely non-nineteenth-century way.

As for the internal contradictions that troubled some people – meh. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an opera production that didn’t have some kind of significant issue in an exposed place, and that includes the wonderful recent Parsifal and Igor. One can fixate and fume, or one can move on and see if there’s still stuff to enjoy. As far as I’m concerned, there was, and part of it was the slightly Marx-brothers goofiness of the world the production established. Which didn’t exclude the possibility of touching moments.

• havfruen says:

Maybe there are still some “restricted view” seats left for Sonnambula? One could also go with VERY dark glasses. I’m going for Damrau. Maybe the sets will get stuck in NJ and they’ll have to do it in concert form.

Damrau as Amina:

PS: after all the talk of her unflattering costumes in RIGOLETTO and the Scala TRAVIATA…

• antikitschychick says:

well,

That was certainly interesting lol. I didn’t really like the ah non credea…thought it was a bit too mannered/gimmicky w the pianos (and there wasn’t enough pathos for me) but the cabaletta on the other hand was total camp. Very entertaining. Thanks for sharing armer.

Don’t worry. I am sitting in my box and will be donning my sleep mask if the going gets too rough. This is a part of “The Vinnie B. Trifecta” this year, and my attendance is compulsory. Next up, at April’s end: I Puritani!!!

Happy Ides of March, 2U2!!’ May the best opera survive!

In fede belliano—
        Camille

• m. croche says:

Hooray. Sonnambula may be the only thing I catch at the Met this season.

• m. croche says:

Aside from grippe, of course.

Do be careful, croche!

I was only here three days and caught an illness from sitting in Carnegie Hall from Thommy Hampson. At least I am gonna blame my hacking and spewing on him ’cause he was there, too. Everyone in NYC looks so grey and worn out and weary from this Long, Freezing Winter and I feel so sorry for them all.

Are you going to be here for the Whitney Biennial? M. Camille is quite happy you pointed that all out, for he had been busy and forget about it, so thanks a bunch!

• m. croche says:

I’ll miss the Ashley operas at the Biennial, which is unfortunate. Please ask M. Camille to provide us with a full report.

Promise that whatever he may get around to seeing he will recount to you, if via myself as necessary intermediary. He is terribly busy and tired out these days and won’t likely be able to attend all, as he would have liked.
              When he does have the time to cast an eye on parterre, he is always on the lookout for your very interesting posts and profits from them, and further appreciates what you do for the cause of the living composer.

Camille: I’m not sure the Domingo audience necessarily crosses over with the Enchanted Island audience, does it?

I’d say he’s probably still a draw for the likes of NABUCCO or BOCCANEGRA though. Well, we’ll see!

Honey—for the true Domingo hounds—it’s the only time they can catch him at the Met this season—therein lies the rub.

Otherwise, of course not. The thought would not occur to them.

As Damrau handles regie with flair and does not suffer from “Lack-of-voiceitis”, as did the previous sleepwalker, I will take a chance with her. At least she can trill and is a very smart cookie.

• Regina delle fate says:

“true Domingo hounds”!!!! lolol Abso-bloomin’-lutely priceless, Camille.

• Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

How do you know how many student tickets are being offered?

• luvtennis says:

Nabucco in 2017. Please, God, let Kermes be the Abigaille!

Then finally, maybe, we can see what opera is supposed to be about. Real singers singing “real” opera. The rest of you just listen to your old records of fat singers like Caballe and Pavarotti. We want opera for today’s generation!!!!!!!!

• kennedet says:

Are you listening to yourself, lovetennis? Will you have this attitude IF you live to be old? Don’t you think young people want to listen to old fat singers like Caballe and Pavarotti? I feel I’m at an advantage because I’ve heard them live, several times. Ageism can be linked to all of the other predujices others have toward people who cannot help being who they are.

• Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

I think he/she was being sarcastic.

I know he was being sarcastic!

• kennedet says:

O.K., I’m “Sheldon Cooper”. I can’t fathom sarcasm. Blame it on my age.

Oh no, don’t be so hard on yourself: you are probably just not that familiar with luvtennis and his manner of expressing himself! He loves that old time religion.

• kennedet says:

Thanks. I thought I was the old-timer on this blog.

Kennedet,

Camille was born in 182—- so you are just a spring chicken in comparison.

Don’t beat yourself up. There are plenty around here who will gladly do that for you so save yourself the trouble!

• zinka says:

I just decided to BURN all my Muzio, Ggili, and other recordings (most of my house) and buy those wonderful new digital recordings that bear no resemblance to what opera should be!!!!!!!

Vergogna to Lovetennis…you better never listen to that stupid old Flagstad..We need FRESH BLOOD in the Ring..like….or…..or…….??????

zinka, you’re overreacting to some pretty heavy sarcasm. There is literally nobody in the world who feels the way lt pretends to in that post.

• zinka says:

Not sure…I do know some people who cannpot listen to anything that ain’t digital..Tne jury ist aus!!!!!!

• luvtennis says:

Thank you, AJ and Camille. I knew you would get it. Sheesh. But it would be cool to watch Kermes break dance her way through early Verdi.

Either that or maybe she can replace Left-eye Lopez in the planned TLC reunion….

As for Domingo, there’s no use in complaining…. As long as we lack a stable of real Verdi baritones they are going to hire him. Sucks but if we had a new Bastianini or MacNeil, this would not be a problem.

• antikitschychick says:

a little break dancing would certainly spice things up :-D . Speaking spice, I think she’d make a perfect addition to the Spice Girls too. She’s certainly got the feisty funkiness down pat! :-P .

• luvtennis says:

Kennedet:

I would never be disrespectful of my elders. In fact, I was poking fun at a certain type of fan. I realize now that I should have added some type of sarcasm warning.

But I can assure that I listen to my recordings of past greats all the time. Indeed, I am usually criticized for being an old fogey -- and as someone who is about to hit the big 44 years old, I am no spring chicken.

:-)

And isn’t Camille just wonderful. Sometimes, I lurk just to read her wonderfully civilized and humane posts.

She reminds me of myself sometimes…. ;-)

• kennedet says:

Luvtennis: Who Knew??!! I’m just satisfied it’s all came to a better understanding. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Camille is brillant in many ways.

• Ruxxy says:

What is it you can’t face luvtennis?

• zinka says:

LORD FORBID we have to endure a Kermes….I want to bring back Caterina Mancini,Maria Callas, or Marisa Galvany..REAL singers…but I hope they do not have a good Abigaille..so I do not have to be forced to hear a tenor sing baritone…Sick of his “political clout.”
      Opera for “today’s generation’ is a TRAVESTY in many ways…… i guess we should burn all our old recordings and enjoy the boredom of so many singers,who have NO CLUE as to operatiuc traditions (with notable exceptions of course.) Demeaning tradition is a disgrace…

• NPW-Paris says:

Hehe. Kermes seems litle different from…

• NPW-Paris says:

Little, sorry. Note the standing ovation.

She was great in LACE though… ;-)

The Marschallin has her levée and her philosophy, but Arielle has her Lévy and a philosopher.

• Gualtier M says:

The time is ripe for my long-ago suggestion for an operatic adaptation of Shirley Conran’s “Lace”.

Pagan: Susan Graham
            Judy: Renee Fleming
            Maxine: Natalie Dessay (or Elisabeth Vidal)
            Lili: Danielle de Niese with the coloratura aria “Which one of you bitches is my mother???”
            Aunt Hortense: Francoise Pollet

This has to happen.

• Grane says:

“…mais la robe et la sillhouette sont renversantes.” I’ll say!

• zinka says:

LUVTENNIS!!! Go to the following site (organized by la Cieca) and LEARN something:

OR just read the posts here and find out that opera did not begin with Renee Fleming.

• La Valkyrietta says:

Zinka,

I for one, before burning any Flagstad or Gigli, would burn all the HD I have. It would not be a great financial loss to me anyway :) .

• luvtennis says:

La Valkrietta:

Now you know, I was just joking. I think it is a good bet that I have more recordings of great singers of the past than just about anyone else who is still legally sane. I practically put Ward Marston’s children through college while I was still in college myself!

My post was intended to be in the style of those youtube comments usually posted by game non-English speakers who are big fans of Bartoli or Anna Netrebko.

For the record, I would rather be chopped into messes than forced to listen La Kermes and Doming sing Nabucco either now or in 2017.

K.