• antikitschychick: Oh my goodness, I have a 30 pg. paper due tomorrow so I’m swamped atm and I’ve been trying to catch up with... 1:27 AM
  • PCally: Well I honestly can’t remember the singing all that much, it’s not really that kind of role. 11:17 PM
  • Krunoslav: Nope. We have bad/spoiled voices here too. Roz P started out with a rich sound and much promise but never got the top... 10:56 PM
  • Camille: I’m sold. Especially after looking at the programs to be featured this summer–all Puccini and other veristi, all the... 8:23 PM
  • FragendeFrau82: Thank you so much! Will listen to this on the drive to DC on Saturday. Nice photo too–includes the gray. New to me,... 8:07 PM
  • Camille: Bluebeard–I fear you may have hit the bullseye here, based on many of the already established actualities re Ms LH... 8:01 PM
  • Camille: Yes, and similarly, I had so looked forward to the double bill of Iolanta/Bluebeard& #8217;s Castle at the MET, and ended up not... 7:42 PM
  • Camille: Caro Cocky K.— That would indeed make me very happy as -for some peculiar reason- perhaps based upon your unusual degree of... 7:19 PM

That’s entertainment!

The highlight of the Bayerische Staatsoper’s 2014-2015 season is a new production of Manon Lescaut featuring Anna Netrebko and Jonas Kaufmann, directed by Hans Neuenfels. (And perhaps the most delightful part of this announcement is that Richard Eyre is not involved in any way at all.)

• 1
    spiderman says:

Guth is no Neuenfels ;)

• 1.1
      La Cieca says:

Got it, thanks!

• 1.2
      Feldmarschallin says:

I don’t get the joke about Guth and Neuenfels. Can someone please explain? Hopefully it won’t be a tame Neuenfels but something like the Berlin Idomeneo.

• 1.2.1
        laddie says:

Feld, I’m guessing that by the time you saw this post, La Cieca had made a correction.

• 2
    Satisfied says:

Exciting…if *perhaps* not as exciting as this current season. But just barely.

The Tcherniakov Lulu sounds very promising as does the Manon. Not terribly excited to see Alain Altainoglu conducting, however. Quite the step down for Anna from the Roma run.

• 3
    antikitschychick says:

looks like a good season :-). Anja H is singing in like 5 or 6 different operas, which is awesome. I hope they do a live stream broadcast for the Tosca and Arabella and Manon of course. Oh and Norma with Sondra.

I’m disappointed in the absence of a certain soprano but I’m hopeful that the future will have more opportunities in store.

• 3.1
      Guestoria Unpopularenka says:

Harteros in Munich is practically a house singer now :D

• 3.1.1
        operaassport says:

Isn’t it basically the only place she’ll sing? She cancels everywhere else.

• 3.2
      Cocky Kurwenal says:

Your fave’s 14/15 season isn’t shaping up to be all that exciting so far is it -- the known quantity of her Aida, plus Foscari in Barcelona, which I guess is quite novel, but probably like you I was hoping for more new roles (new to those of us who aren’t regulars in Kiev, that is -- I take it her repertoire is more diverse at home).

• 3.2.1
        antikitschychick says:

right Cocky, though Im thinking there have to be more international engagements that we just don’t know about because they’re not on operabase…unfortunately she just doesn’t have the level of publicity around her that some other singers do and so those of us outside of Kiev don’t know what the hell she’ll be up to…it could also be that she’s taking on less engagements abroad to learn/add new roles to her rep, which I do hope will be the case. But your guess is as good as mine at this point.

• 3.2.1.1
          Cocky Kurwenal says:

Of course there are plenty of houses yet to announce for 14/15 so there is time for more interesting stuff to come to light. There might even be some stuff in London which would be great from my point of view. Personally I can’t see her scaling back the international career at this point to learn repertoire -- she’s just hit the top level in the past couple of years, it’d be surprising if she didn’t continue to capitalise on it.

• antikitschychick says:

but besides the ROH, what other major houses have yet to announce?

Also, point taken about the issue with scaling back at this point but whether she scales back or not she does need to add more roles to her rep. Its not a choice you see, it like NEEDS to happen lol.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Unless I’m mistaken, Vienna and Berlin haven’t announced yet either. No doubt somebody will gently correct me if I’m wrong!

• antikitschychick says:

ay that’s only three houses…better start crossing my fingers lol. Thanks for the 411 Cocky.

• Bill says:

Vienna announces later but I have been told Stemme has 3 roles planned for
              Vienna next season. Gruberova will do Roberto Devereux in Oct 2014 and a 45th annivesary Gala for her debut there on Feb 7, 2015, Ring Cycles in May and June 2015

• Feldmarschallin says:

Tetralogie in Wien is with Herlitzius who will do all 3 there.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

Theater an der Wien announces on 31 March. Staatsoper will probably announce the same week.

• antikitschychick says:

“Gruberova will do Roberto Devereux…” yeah and she’s doing it at the BSO as well. I love her but I really think its time that she (and the administration) let younger singers have their chance. Im not saying she should retire and I know there’s not that many singers who can sing that rep, but she is just very past her prime and there are some exciting up-and-comers who could sing it better at this point.

• turings says:

Monastyrska will be singing Abigaille at the Deutsche Oper in Berlin next June, anti.

• turings says:

Gruberova is also doing Robert Devereux in a concert performance at the Philharmonie as well, so perhaps it is a farewell tour of sorts.

• antikitschychick says:

oh gosh, turings, I was hoping she would stay away from that role but I guess its good they’ve hired her for something. Thanks for the 411 and to Bill and Jungfer as well :-).

• turings says:

I heard her sing Lady Macbeth in November at the DOB, and she was great. I’d only seen the Aida HD, so wasn’t expecting much of her acting, but I thought she made something of the character as well and was compelling on stage.

• Henry Holland says:

Does ENO count as a “major house”? :)

All three Berlin houses are still TBA, but it looks like it’s going to be 2015-16 before the renovations are done at the Staatsoper unter den Linden. Other major German houses still to announce: Dresden, Hamburg and Frankfurt.

Also: Amsterdam (now renamed the DE National Opera) has announced their 2014/15 season:

Hmmmm…Pierre Audi staging the Gurre-lieder. Benvenuto Cellini and Lulu look interesting too.

• antikitschychick says:

glad to hear you enjoyed her LM turings :-D. I think she subbed in for someone during that run correct? Any who, I agree she pretty much owns that role. If you haven’t already, do check out the DVD from ROH with hottieside. Her performance was fantastic.

Henry: thank you for the info.

• turings says:

Thanks for the tip – I do like Macbeth, so will check it out :)

I have the Deutsche Oper Berlin’s season 14/15 subscription booklet here – don’t think it’s up on their website yet.

The new productions are:

Oresteia (Xenakis)
              Dinorah ou Le Pardon de Ploërmel with Ciofi, Etienne Dupuis, Philippe Talbot and Jana Kurucová
              Ariadne auf Naxos in concert at the Philharmonie with Harteros
              Roberto Devereux in concert with Gruberova
              Lady Macbeth of Mzensk with Herlitzius and Tomlinson
              La Rondine with Calleja (and Villazón as the director!)
              Romeo and Juliette
              Faust with Ilincai, D’Arcangelo and Stoyanova

And revivals of Le Damnation de Faust, Carmen, L’Elisir d’Amore, Lucia di Lammermoor (with Pretty Yende and Calleja), Hänsel and Gretel, Le Nozze di Figaro, Die Zauberflöte, L’Amour des Trois Oranges, Bohème, Butterfly, Fanciulla, Tosca (with Harteros), Turandot, Barber of Seville, Samson and Dalila, Elektra (wih Meier), Rosenkavalier, Onegin (with Poplavskaya), Don Carlo (with Villazón, Falstaff, Nabucco (with Monastyrska), Traviata, Lohengrin (with Vogt, Harteros and Meier) and Tannhäuser.

• antikitschychick says:

sounds like a good season turings :-). There are just so many roles she could be singing instead of Abigail in Nabucco. Its rather frustrating but, she has to start somewhere. I just hope she doesn’t wreck her voice before she gets to the good stuff. Fingers crossed for ROH and the other 2/3 houses :!:

Villazón directing La rondine … And maybe he should be singing Prunier rather than Don Carlo.

• turings says:

Yeah – has Villazón directed before? And I see I forgot to close the parentheses on him, ouch: http://xkcd.com/859/

Good luck with the ROH, Vienna and the rest, antikitschychick :)

Turings -- rather appropriate that the unclosed bracket aligned him with Falstaff, an opera with at least one tenor role that is more suited to his talents than Don Carlo.

• turings says:

I wish my use of punctuation were so sophisticated …

• antikitschychick says:

Lol thanks turings I appreciate that.

• Regina delle fate says:

Cocky -- further to my previous post about the RO season, there’s a Tristan revival with Stemme, Gould, Paterson conducted by Pappano near the beginning of the season.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Oh thanks Regina -- I thought Stemme was just WONDERFUL in that Tristan last time. Shame about the production, but whatever.

• 4
    uwsinnyc says:

Wow- may be with the exception of the MET, this seems the most extensive season of any opera house.
    And pretty good casts too.

• 4.1
      Satisfied says:

Just to add to the missing announcements: la monnaie has yet to announce. If not a large house, certainly an important one.

• 5
    tannengrin says:

I understand that the funding is quite different in Europe for opera but the spectrum that season offers is quite something.

How do they do it? Are their productions less ‘involved’ in terms of scenery? In terms of sheer logistics, how do they manage to switch productions so frequently during the season?

• 6
    Poison Ivy says:

I’m most impressed by the booklet. All that artwork in a season brochure? Very nicely done. :)

• 7
    La Bestia says:

I am not surprised La Cieca calls that farce of a season entertainment. Being interested in BSO’s money exclusively, anything else would mean to bite the hand that feeds her!

• 8
    Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I just got Sunday’s performance of “Manon Lescaut” with Netrebko recorded in-house in Roma. I could post it immediately at Mixcloud, but I need some kind of assurance that it will be promoted and listened to. It appears that La Cieca has decided to drop “Montag mit Marianne” with no warning or reason offered to me, and has refused to reply to any e-mails after I posted the Corelli/Ludwig “Werther” as per her request this past Sunday night (which currently has less than 40 “listens” – normally after La Cieca promotes one of my uploads, there are 150 or more “listens” within the first 24 hours). The last e-mail I received from her was on 24 February, confirming the link to the Kaufmann “Lohengrin.” I have no idea why I am being cut off like this.

• 8.1
      Feldmarschallin says:

Perhaps best to wait until she sings one with Kaufmann then the interest will be bigger. I for one do not want to hear a one woman show especially when we know that a better pairing is just around the corner. I am sure that there will be a livestream of one of the Münchner Manons this fall Marianne.

• 8.2
      antikitschychick says:

sorry to hear that Jungfer. I for one would be very interested in hearing your recorded performance.

• 9
    Bianca Castafiore says:

Darlings, did anyone record the Monday Werther performance with Borras? A dear friend of mine is looking for a copy. Mille grazie!!!!!

• 9.1
      bluecabochon says:

Bianca, I saw your previous query and guess that Betsy isn’t around these days. Maybe the House of Bobolink can help you out: ditzbobble “at” gmail.com

Apologies to Betsy if I am overstepping the mark!

• 10
    phoenix says:

Bayerischen Staatsoper’s season looks a lot better than the Met season. Big PLUS for me: they were able to get rid of Marina Rebekah and replace her with Stojanova in Guillaume Tell.

• 11
    laddie says:

Is it me, or are four Mozart operas the norm for Munich? (I’m ALL for it!)

Angela Brower seems to definitely be a *house* mezzo too!

• 11.1
      Regina delle fate says:

Munich does about 40 titles a year with mostly very short runs of three or four performances apart from the most popular warhorses. Plus, Mozart is one of the three “Hausgötter”, the other’s being Wagner and Strauss, so it’s not at all unusual for four Mozart, or even five, to be playing in one season. For a time, it looked as if Handel was going to join the house-gods, but the new Intendant Bachler, has put a stop to that.

• 11.2
      Feldmarschallin says:

There are 5 Mozart operas next season: Figaro, Don Giovanni, Titus, Cosi and Zauberflöte (2 different runs and casts).

• 12
    operacat says:

Maybe it isn’t a major company, but I am very excited by the Washington (DC) National Opera season next year. Christine Goerke sings FLORENCIA EN EL AMAZONAS; Eric Owens is DER FLIEGENDE HOLLANDER; Isabel Leonard is CENERENTOLA; BOHEME with Corinne Winters; and DIALOGUE OF THE CARMELITES with Leah Crocetto, Elisabeth Bishop, Layla Claire and Delora Zajick. http://web.kennedy-center.org/~/media/Files/KC/Press%20Releases/Season%20Announcement%202014-2015/Press%20Release%20-%20Washington%20National%20Opera%20Announces%202014-2015%20Season.pdf

• 12.1
      phoenix says:

That also looks better than the Met’s.

• 12.2
      fletcher says:

Good season! Florencia is also happing at LA Opera next season, with Villarroel and Oropesa — I’ve never heard it and I’m not sure what to expect. Any thoughts?

• 12.2.1
        MontyNostry says:

I see that the soprano is transformed into a butterfly at the end …

• 12.2.2
        operacat says:

FLORENCIA is a beautiful work and I am looking forward to seeing it. IMHO it is a work that will be still performed in a hundred years. Melodic and emotional filled with magic realism. I have thought for a while that it would be an ideal vehicle for Renee Fleming. I was excited by the LA cast. . I have always liked Villaroel. Oropesa’s role is quite lovely as well. . .a gorgeous duet and quartet are highlights. I am very excited about a luxurious voice like Goerke singing the role. The final 10 minutes is a sort of Liebestod. . .albeit one where the soprano changes into a butterfly (it makes sense within the story :-)