• kashania: Well, Arangi-Lombardi is simply fantastic. I’ve known of her for a long time but this might... 5:03 PM
  • Chanterelle: The kerfuffle was over the vulgar language in the contemporary dialog, as I recall. TCE draws a... 5:03 PM
  • kashania: That Tebaldi/Bjoerling “Tu qui Santuzza” is beyond fabulous. I think I’d give it... 4:51 PM
  • kashania: Camille: I may not get anything done today. Listening to the gorgeous Tebaldi/Bjorling “To... 4:44 PM
  • Camille: AddioBelpassato. Sorry, man. 4:42 PM
  • Camille: This is sublime singing, and what I would call ‘singing with the red sauce’:... 4:40 PM
  • kashania: Luvt: I’d like to hear your thoughts on the Met Verdi box set. I didn’t buy it because... 4:33 PM
  • Lohengrin: It is to be read on Wiki that they are separated/devorced since 2009. 4:32 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Unfazed as usual. I saw it in both places. I don’t know why it got the Parisians’ goat... 4:25 PM
  • Tim: I believe Lohengrin asked about the marital status of Joseph Calleja. To my knowledge he and his wife... 4:15 PM

That’s entertainment!

The highlight of the Bayerische Staatsoper’s 2014-2015 season is a new production of Manon Lescaut featuring Anna Netrebko and Jonas Kaufmann, directed by Hans Neuenfels. (And perhaps the most delightful part of this announcement is that Richard Eyre is not involved in any way at all.)

• laddie says:

Is it me, or are four Mozart operas the norm for Munich? (I’m ALL for it!)

Angela Brower seems to definitely be a *house* mezzo too!

• Regina delle fate says:

Munich does about 40 titles a year with mostly very short runs of three or four performances apart from the most popular warhorses. Plus, Mozart is one of the three “Hausgötter”, the other’s being Wagner and Strauss, so it’s not at all unusual for four Mozart, or even five, to be playing in one season. For a time, it looked as if Handel was going to join the house-gods, but the new Intendant Bachler, has put a stop to that.

• Feldmarschallin says:

There are 5 Mozart operas next season: Figaro, Don Giovanni, Titus, Cosi and Zauberflöte (2 different runs and casts).

• operacat says:

Maybe it isn’t a major company, but I am very excited by the Washington (DC) National Opera season next year. Christine Goerke sings FLORENCIA EN EL AMAZONAS; Eric Owens is DER FLIEGENDE HOLLANDER; Isabel Leonard is CENERENTOLA; BOHEME with Corinne Winters; and DIALOGUE OF THE CARMELITES with Leah Crocetto, Elisabeth Bishop, Layla Claire and Delora Zajick. http://web.kennedy-center.org/~/media/Files/KC/Press%20Releases/Season%20Announcement%202014-2015/Press%20Release%20-%20Washington%20National%20Opera%20Announces%202014-2015%20Season.pdf

• phoenix says:

That also looks better than the Met’s.

• fletcher says:

Good season! Florencia is also happing at LA Opera next season, with Villarroel and Oropesa — I’ve never heard it and I’m not sure what to expect. Any thoughts?

I see that the soprano is transformed into a butterfly at the end …

• operacat says:

FLORENCIA is a beautiful work and I am looking forward to seeing it. IMHO it is a work that will be still performed in a hundred years. Melodic and emotional filled with magic realism. I have thought for a while that it would be an ideal vehicle for Renee Fleming. I was excited by the LA cast. . I have always liked Villaroel. Oropesa’s role is quite lovely as well. . .a gorgeous duet and quartet are highlights. I am very excited about a luxurious voice like Goerke singing the role. The final 10 minutes is a sort of Liebestod. . .albeit one where the soprano changes into a butterfly (it makes sense within the story :-)