• Clita del Toro: I saw DFD sing Dr. Faustus at Carnegie Hall. It wS fabulous. He’s no Hampson, too bad.... 6:14 PM
  • ML: Ignored by Camille, ML telephones Calzabigi … 6:05 PM
  • Camille: Feldmarschie: I had the same, exact impression of Tommy Hampsong, after the Dr. Faustus given here... 5:41 PM
  • peter: Yes, Stemme is only 51. I don’t think Salome is an ideal role for her voice and in general, I... 5:31 PM
  • MontyNostry: For some reason, I thought Stemme was 55, But I see she’s 51. The UK Twittersphere is... 5:17 PM
  • ML: Why is it popoli and not popolo? 5:11 PM
  • ML: 15 years older, a different generation. 5:08 PM
  • ML: Thielemann should fire him and get Groissböck for Mandryka — yes, he’s a bass, but his top is... 5:02 PM
  • Camille: Kashania is no “Canuck̶ 1;! He is a prince of Persia, secreted in the Commonwealth, for... 4:59 PM
  • MontyNostry: Sorry – 66, so about 10 years older than Stemme. 4:52 PM

That’s entertainment!

The highlight of the Bayerische Staatsoper’s 2014-2015 season is a new production of Manon Lescaut featuring Anna Netrebko and Jonas Kaufmann, directed by Hans Neuenfels. (And perhaps the most delightful part of this announcement is that Richard Eyre is not involved in any way at all.)

• laddie says:

Is it me, or are four Mozart operas the norm for Munich? (I’m ALL for it!)

Angela Brower seems to definitely be a *house* mezzo too!

• Regina delle fate says:

Munich does about 40 titles a year with mostly very short runs of three or four performances apart from the most popular warhorses. Plus, Mozart is one of the three “Hausgötter”, the other’s being Wagner and Strauss, so it’s not at all unusual for four Mozart, or even five, to be playing in one season. For a time, it looked as if Handel was going to join the house-gods, but the new Intendant Bachler, has put a stop to that.

• Feldmarschallin says:

There are 5 Mozart operas next season: Figaro, Don Giovanni, Titus, Cosi and Zauberflöte (2 different runs and casts).

• operacat says:

Maybe it isn’t a major company, but I am very excited by the Washington (DC) National Opera season next year. Christine Goerke sings FLORENCIA EN EL AMAZONAS; Eric Owens is DER FLIEGENDE HOLLANDER; Isabel Leonard is CENERENTOLA; BOHEME with Corinne Winters; and DIALOGUE OF THE CARMELITES with Leah Crocetto, Elisabeth Bishop, Layla Claire and Delora Zajick. http://web.kennedy-center.org/~/media/Files/KC/Press%20Releases/Season%20Announcement%202014-2015/Press%20Release%20-%20Washington%20National%20Opera%20Announces%202014-2015%20Season.pdf

• phoenix says:

That also looks better than the Met’s.

• fletcher says:

Good season! Florencia is also happing at LA Opera next season, with Villarroel and Oropesa — I’ve never heard it and I’m not sure what to expect. Any thoughts?

I see that the soprano is transformed into a butterfly at the end …

• operacat says:

FLORENCIA is a beautiful work and I am looking forward to seeing it. IMHO it is a work that will be still performed in a hundred years. Melodic and emotional filled with magic realism. I have thought for a while that it would be an ideal vehicle for Renee Fleming. I was excited by the LA cast. . I have always liked Villaroel. Oropesa’s role is quite lovely as well. . .a gorgeous duet and quartet are highlights. I am very excited about a luxurious voice like Goerke singing the role. The final 10 minutes is a sort of Liebestod. . .albeit one where the soprano changes into a butterfly (it makes sense within the story :-)