• Clita del Toro: PS “RobertoR 21; I saw a number of Tebaldi’s Toscas between 1956 and 1958,... 2:00 PM
  • robertovillalba: I never saw a person to be insulted by his arguments, and knowledge about singing, is this a... 1:59 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: What a punim! Makes Gelb look downright viral. 1:50 PM
  • Clita del Toro: “RobertoR 21;, go back to opera-l. where you bore everyone to tears. I guess you are... 1:50 PM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: She’s their go-to girl when a major diva cancels, or she gets double cast alongside the... 1:43 PM
  • robertovillalba: I do not know how to answer is this Clita del Toro , you are well? Yes indeed, for me the... 1:39 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well the production deserves to be filmed with this cast especially. 1:39 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I hope the Cenerentola was filmed and the Favorite will eventually become a recording. I have... 1:30 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I have no idea. But also I think the Verona casts are like whittled down to so-so singers because... 1:28 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well those performances suit a purpose to provide entertainment for the tourists but like... 1:14 PM

Easy as falling off a loge

No effort is required, cher public, to enjoy a discussion of off-topic and general interest subjects.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1887 director and administrator Carl Ebert

Born on this day in 1913 soprano Nadine Conner

Happy 83rd birthday soprano Margareta Hallin

Happy 74th birthday tenor Giorgio Merighi

Happy 63rd birthday composer Anthony Davis

Happy 61st birthday conductor Riccardo Chailly

• Krunoslav says:

Sing, o Nightingales, in Berkeley Square!

“The [Minnesota Opera] season opens on September 20, 2014, with the company premiere of Puccini’s La fanciulla del West. Soprano Claire Rutter stars as Minnie…”

Best since “Our Own” Aussie Betty Fretwell!

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1831 librettist Henri Meilhac

Born on this day in 1836 composer Léo Delibes

Born on this day in 1897 soprano Maria Nezadal (she’s the Gerhilde)

Born on this day in 1907 poet and librettist W H Auden

Happy 74th birthday tenor Heinz Zednik

Happy 69th birthdays soprano Lisbeth Balslev and baritone John Bröcheler

The Liceu Barcelona 2014-2015 fresh off the press:

A “solid” season for lean times. Not a lot of risk taking, but some good productions and/or casts.

Special for Anti: I Due Foscari with Domingo, Monastyrska and Vargas. In concert version, though.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome!! Thanks for posting that oedipe :-D . Its unfortunate that it’ll only be a concert version…hopefully there will at least be a recording or a broadcast…?

Any who, it looks like she is also up for some national award: http://www.day.kiev.ua/en/article/culture/shevchenko-prize-committee-names-2014-winners

“Liudmyla MONASTYRSKA (lyric dramatic soprano) was chosen for her brilliant impersonations as a prima donna of the National Opera of Ukraine in 2009-13. She has performed in the box-office productions of La Scala, Covent Garden, and Metropolitan Opera. Foreign critics agree that Monastyrska is the best Aida these days. Each opera starring her has played to a full house.”

:-D :-D :-D . She totally deserves it!! I was surprised that she wasn’t nominated for one of those international opera award thingies for best new artist or artist to watch or something like that :-P .

Also, its Friday!! Don’t know about ya’ll but I’ve had a loooooong week so the respite is muy bienvenido lol

Well, it’s the kind of thing they are likely to broadcast. So, if you are not there, a concert version is just as good.

• antikitschychick says:

I really, really, REALLY hope so!! I mean PD and Ramon Vargas are also singing in it so the star wattage is there. I’ll prob email them at some point and find out. Thanks again for the 411. Xo.

Who was it who was talking about Roschmann not taking the top C in ‘Susanna, or via sortite’? I owe him an apology. Just listening to the Salzburg/ Harnoncourt recording and NETREBKO DOESN’T TAKE IT EITHER! I agree, it sounds awful with neither lady on it.

• Opera Teen says:

Shameless self-promotion: Please read the review I wrote of Fleming’s final Rusalka! http://wp.me/p1ThK2-dV

Bravo, OT—I see you have been doing your homework.

It pleases me you were able to see her in this role for even if it was the end there was still something of the beauty left from when I first saw it twenty-three years ago. An amazing feat.

Peter Gelb had better watch out, as you are gaining on him!

xoxox
      Old Camille

• Opera Teen says:

Camille, every time I hear people write off the Parterre commenters for their meanness and close-mindedness, I remember how cosistently kind and supportive you are to me. I so appreciate it. Here’s to you!

And I enjoyed Rusalka, but I can only imagine how it must have been 20+ years ago. Fleming in her prime must have been a thing to behold!

Best,
        OT

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

“Well, he was on the bottle the whole time! He had a huge glass of what seemed like water next to him. It was vodka. Yet he was still amazing….”

Dame Kiri on working with Leonard Bernstein. 70 next month and taking on the Duchesse at ROH on her birthday night, she talks to Richard Morrison behind the Times paywall today.

“I started off with the Countess in Figaro in 1971, then I did all my major roles for the first time there -- the Mozart and Strauss operas, Otello, Simon Boccanegra. Yes, everything I did at Covent Garden was basically a tryout, which is pretty stupid….

“Actually, it was tough. A couple of years ago, I thought to myself, ‘Oh my God, how did I ever keep on this freight train?’ I give a lot of advice to young singers now simply about surviving….

[In her musical heaven, who would conduct the orchestra?] “Oh, hard question! I’ve worked with so many great ones. I’d like half a dozen, please. Definitely Georg Solti. John Pritchard, he was so naughty! Colin Davis, Jimmy Levine, definitely Karajan… Böhm….

Her foundation is making a special award of £70,000 available to one or more young singers in 2014. “This is a year I want to celebrate. No negatives, There have been plenty of those.”

• ML says:

That’s twice she’s mentioned Karajan. I don’t doubt her, but WHEN exactly did they collaborate? Or, as Zinka would put it, when ?????????????? !!!

• ML says:

Many thanks, MPA! And good sleuthing. Looks like that was HvK’s last run of Nozze.

But how weird that she cites him as one of her greats having collaborated so little with him. The experienced must have overwhelmed her.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

Uh, that would be at Salzburg (read the review in the link at the bottom of the credits; also Staatsoper is closed in August).

HvK’s last “Figaro” at Staatsoper was:

Jules Bastin | Don Bartolo
          Zoltán Kelemen | Antonio
          Christine Barbaux | Barbarina
          Hermine Saidula | Bauernmädchen

• Bill says:

Jungfer -- correct -- actually te Kanawa
            never sang the Figaro Countess in Vienna at all and did not make her debut there until 1980
            as Desdemona. But a singer can have an
            admiration for a conductor’s work even if not
            performing with that conductor.

• ML says:

@ Jungfer and Bill, could it be that she sang only ONE performance with him in all? And that, as part of a Salzburg run centered on someone else?

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

Off the top of my head, there were also the concert “Otellos” with Pavarotti and the CSO, the legendary Carneige Hall performance recorded by Decca (with Pav hiding under a blanket for most of the show, inhaling steam and drinking god knows what). There also were some performances of “Carmen,” “Otello,” and “Boccanegra” at ROH/Covent Garden, and a Paris “Don Giovanni” in 1975, plus several recordings (i.e. the Strauss Four last Songs).

I’m confused. None of those were with Karajan, were they?

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

D’oh! Sorry, sorry, sorry… I forgot the conversation was about HvK, NOT Solti! Pardon my senior moment (actually I was asleep just now until the cat woke me and after 20 minutes of tossing and turning I pulled the laptop up to the bed; and of course the cat is now asleep on top of me).

• ML says:

You’re forgiven, Jungfer, and the cat is duly thanked.

Isn’t it odd that Te Kanawa sings ONE NIGHT with HvK and lists him as “definitely” one of her greats?

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Birthday tributes for Saturday, February 22 (sorry to be a day late)

Born on this day in 1904 tenor José Soler

Born on this day in 1910 bass Hervey Alan

Happy 85th birthday soprano/mezzo-soprano Anny Schlemm

Happy 84th birthday soprano and Hollywood “ghost” singer Marni Nixon

Happy 75th birthday baritone Silvano Carroli

• Feldmarschallin says:

Zürich 2014/2015

• Feldmarschallin says:

Not very interesting season. I was thinking of going to the FroSch until I saw the name Emily Magee and then I quickly turned the page. Then I saw an Elektra with Herlitzius and again Magee popped up so again I will skip that. I won’t pay those high Zürich prices for a second rate singer. Yoncheva is singing Lucia there.