• Feldmarschallin: Congratulations. Two people I know got tickets, one for the premiere and one for the second... 7:50 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Not to mention the piano G on ‘Rosn’ . 7:47 AM
  • tiger1: The opening phrase of the trio also contains a high B flat and should be very “floating 221;... 7:43 AM
  • Lohengrin: May be in Salzburg he was not as familiar as necassary withe Don Carlo…... 7:29 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well I heard Hampson as well live in Salzburg and thought he was horrible. Dry tone the... 7:00 AM
  • Lohengrin: Ich have seen DC livein Sakzburg. TH was in general a convincingly Posa, but his singing was... 6:31 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well in that Arabella it is a tie who is worse and it is also a tie who looks older. Not all... 4:26 AM
  • ML: He is past the end of his shelf life. Have you heard the Sony Don Carlo? 4:04 AM
  • m. croche: Also forthcoming. Reviews enclosed. Can you spot the JJ? httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=5... 2:27 AM
  • danpatter: Camille, I believe Beverly Sills’ recording of NORMA has “Casta diva” in G,... 10:47 PM

Vieni a mirar la cerula

More Verdi from the Mike Richter collection, this time from CD-ROM SFO-02, a performance of Simon Boccanegra featuring Ingvar Wixell and Kiri Te Kanawa.

Verdi: Simon Boccanegra
14 November 1975
San Francisco Opera

Simon: Ingvar Wixell
Amelia: Kiri Te Kanewa
Gabriele: Giorgio Merighi
Fiesco: Martti Talvela
Paolo: Allan Monk

Conductor: Paolo Peloso

• Krunoslav says:

In what hill town did Adler find such conductors?

• Jack Jikes says:

I’ve listened to about forty minutes -- so far extraordinary. Get me to a hill town.

• Sempre liberal says:

How does one save these performances to ones computer (e.g. through iTunes, preferably)?

• javier says:

there might be an easier way, but here is what i did:

in firefox right-click anywhere on this page.
        select “view page info”.
        select the “media” tab.
        now scroll down and select the address for the audio.
        then click save as.

you can save the mp3 anywhere on your hard drive.

if you want to listen to it in itunes just add the file to itunes the way you normally would.

• Ilka Saro says:

I don’t know anything about itunes, but I can download it from firefox usings their flash downloader plugin. Comes out as an mp3, which you could put on your ipod.

• Sempre liberal says:

Excellent, Javier and Ilka. Thanks for the advice.

• Cenerentola says:

This is truly fantastic, but isn’t it out of order?

• SilvestriWoman says:

As a teenager, I was fortunate to be at one of these performances. Dame Kiri’s council scene remains one of the most indelible of my life. Same for the scene between Wixell and Monk… Unforgettable…

Joke about the conductors, but Adler was one of the all-time great impresarios… Not only did he cast phenomenal singers but also his relationship with Ponnelle…

• Dolciamente Pipo says:

Wow. Thank you! Thanks,Mike Richter, for documenting this and thanks La C for posting it. I don’t often have time to listen to the historic broadcasts posted here, but this and the extraordinary Pelleas have made my respective weeks. Thank You! I’ve only gotten as far as the Amelia/Simon scene and am totally verklempt. Can’t wait for the Council Chamber! Thank you!
    Did I say thank you?

• Sempre liberal says:

Didn’t someone once call Dame Kiri Te Kanawa the highest paid church singer in the world? I do enjoy her voice, and her Solti Boccanegra is fantastic.

I still long to hear Anna Netrebko sing one Amelia. And (shoot) me Diana Damrau as well.

• La Valkyrietta says:

Happy Valentine’s day all.

• Jack Jikes says:

Why all the snide asides about the conducting? THIS ranks with the best I’ve ever heard. I have the conceit to think that I know Boccanegra well.