• Cicciabella: You’re welcome, armer! The heat is boiling my brain, and I forgot to mention the level-headed Brit by name: Mark... 7:37 AM
  • armerjacquino: But not all Brits agree *crying with relief* I’ve been waiting ten years for someone to say that on here. THANK you,... 6:55 AM
  • Cicciabella: Context for above posts: ENO’s Queen of Spades, avaiable on BBC iPlayer and elsewhere discussed by manou et al. 6:20 AM
  • Cicciabella: But not all Brits agree. After singling out Felicity Palmer’s Countess (powerful even via radio), he praises thr... 6:01 AM
  • Cicciabella: Guess who: “There was nothing much wrong with Nicholas Pallesen’s Yeletsky or Gregory Dahl’s Tomsky either, but I can... 5:45 AM
  • Cicciabella: Placido demands respect while promoting Operalia: http://www.theguar dian.com/music/201 5/jul/04/placido-d omingo-opera-ra... 4:48 AM
  • Cicciabella: Orchestra and chorus indeed sounded wonderful yesterday on the radio. It’s still available on BBC Opera on 3. What a... 4:46 AM
  • Henry Holland: Some Alice related pieces, starting with Unsuk Chin’s Alice in Wonderland: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=S... 2:52 AM

Vieni a mirar la cerula

More Verdi from the Mike Richter collection, this time from CD-ROM SFO-02, a performance of Simon Boccanegra featuring Ingvar Wixell and Kiri Te Kanawa.

Verdi: Simon Boccanegra
14 November 1975
San Francisco Opera

Simon: Ingvar Wixell
Amelia: Kiri Te Kanewa
Gabriele: Giorgio Merighi
Fiesco: Martti Talvela
Paolo: Allan Monk

Conductor: Paolo Peloso

• Krunoslav says:

In what hill town did Adler find such conductors?

• Jack Jikes says:

I’ve listened to about forty minutes -- so far extraordinary. Get me to a hill town.

• Sempre liberal says:

How does one save these performances to ones computer (e.g. through iTunes, preferably)?

• javier says:

there might be an easier way, but here is what i did:

in firefox right-click anywhere on this page.
        select “view page info”.
        select the “media” tab.
        now scroll down and select the address for the audio.
        then click save as.

you can save the mp3 anywhere on your hard drive.

if you want to listen to it in itunes just add the file to itunes the way you normally would.

• Ilka Saro says:

I don’t know anything about itunes, but I can download it from firefox usings their flash downloader plugin. Comes out as an mp3, which you could put on your ipod.

• Sempre liberal says:

Excellent, Javier and Ilka. Thanks for the advice.

• Cenerentola says:

This is truly fantastic, but isn’t it out of order?

• SilvestriWoman says:

As a teenager, I was fortunate to be at one of these performances. Dame Kiri’s council scene remains one of the most indelible of my life. Same for the scene between Wixell and Monk… Unforgettable…

Joke about the conductors, but Adler was one of the all-time great impresarios… Not only did he cast phenomenal singers but also his relationship with Ponnelle…

• Dolciamente Pipo says:

Wow. Thank you! Thanks,Mike Richter, for documenting this and thanks La C for posting it. I don’t often have time to listen to the historic broadcasts posted here, but this and the extraordinary Pelleas have made my respective weeks. Thank You! I’ve only gotten as far as the Amelia/Simon scene and am totally verklempt. Can’t wait for the Council Chamber! Thank you!
    Did I say thank you?

• Sempre liberal says:

Didn’t someone once call Dame Kiri Te Kanawa the highest paid church singer in the world? I do enjoy her voice, and her Solti Boccanegra is fantastic.

I still long to hear Anna Netrebko sing one Amelia. And (shoot) me Diana Damrau as well.

• La Valkyrietta says:

Happy Valentine’s day all.

• Jack Jikes says:

Why all the snide asides about the conducting? THIS ranks with the best I’ve ever heard. I have the conceit to think that I know Boccanegra well.