• pasavant: Thanks for the help. I see that Mr. Costello is scheduled to sing in Traviata on December 27th. In... 8:34 AM
  • marshiemarkII: CammiB adoree!!! I was just thinking about you tonight as I was back again at Bar Boulud, and... 1:25 AM
  • Poison Ivy: “X-RAY STORY: A type of DIVA ANECDOTE that’s all windup and no delivery. Named for a... 10:52 PM
  • zinka: n the old Met we stood all the way down near the orchestra..Boxes hardly were overhanging. One night... 10:09 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=Lrm3 jSrJwCE See next comment. 10:08 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: That should be: Lance Ryan has talked about the booing and the hatred from the... 9:53 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Petrenko is passing the “Ring” to Marek Janowski in 2016 &... 9:52 PM
  • Camille: It almost has seemed on many occasions I’ve listened in on in the past few years that the... 9:48 PM
  • Camille: Mr. Fabiano has two sterling qualities, per my view: he PROJECTS his voice out and into the theatre,... 9:21 PM
  • kennedet: I apologize for the off-topic comment. I promise to mend my ways, in future. 9:11 PM

It’s today!

La Cieca’s spy informs her that the Met will make its 2014-2015 season announcement at 6:00 PM today.   “Wednesday evening.”

• peter says:

I think it’s bizarre that people are debating whether Nadja is up to singing a one act 20th Century opera, while Poplavskaya is going to sing Mozart’s Countess on opening night: a role that demands a stellar technique, not something you think of with Poplavskaya. I hope I’m wrong, but I shudder at the thought of her Porgi Amor.

• Batty Masetto says:

Peter, we’ve had much longer to let the dread build up about Bluebeard.

And unfortunately, La Michael doesn’t usually cancel.

• Lady Abbado says:

Here’s the Countess I’d want; I think she thinks low of poor Mozart, just like La Divina…

• messa di voce says:

She and Battle went shopping together: Kathy got it in red, and Angie the blue.

It’s a shame that Angela didn’t make Mozart a focus of her career. She has a limited repertoire and some of those roles (like Mimi, which she sings beautifully) are better suited to young singers. But a Countess would’ve been wonderful (still could be). I also wouldn’t have minded her taking a crack at Donna Elivra.

• Lady Abbado says:

A couple of years ago she said in some interviews about future projects that she’s tempted to do a Mozart arias CD; but I have never heard her saying that she’s considering doing a major Mozart role on stage.
          The only Mozart on stage she ever tried was her ROH debut in 1992 as Zerlina (unfortunately zero Youtube videos of it…).

I’ve always thought she would be near ideal as Elvira. I think she’s had a Mozart voice all along.

• laddie says:

I wouldn’t mind getting this one:

Mebbe it’ll help her to get a ‘line’ on singing.

She’s supposedly coaching or studying something with Christa Ludwig these days and I would *imagine* that la grande dame Ludwig has zero to 2% tolerance for vocal BS. She did learn to negotiate some damn hard soprano roles, if not altogether felicitously all of the time at least awfully damn good most of the time, and must know something. Didn’t she also study with the one, the only, the goddess of pedagogery, Mme. Zinka Milanov, during a period of vocal tribulations?

Anyway, I had utterly no intention whatsoever of attending that Marriage but the thought of what La PoppyFleur will do for that old stiff, La Contessa, has got my curiousity piqued.

• Rowna says:

Miss Poplavskaya ascent and stability in the rarified field of opera stars is a total puzzlement to me. There are many singers out there whose careers I just don’t get. Then you hear others and wonder, why aren’t they singing at the Met? Why can’t I be in charge of casting there?

• PetertheModest says:

Poplavskaya’s career might represent the ascent of acting over singing in modern opera productions, so that the equation is tilted in the direction of acting; whereas in the past, it may have been more in the direction of singing. If so, she would be the embodiment of a trend.

• Buster says:

Well, you cannot win an opera award every year:

• Cicciabella says:

Last red carpet look before entering completely other style and ideas , such as MANON LESCAUTs world between love and power of glitter and money . Nadja , of course , loves fashion and beauty in each sense , but will be sucked away from this part of life. living only her art for almost three following months.

Nadja Michael on Facebook needs to hire someone who can write and punctuate in English.

• Signor Bruschino says:

Are we still getting the french ‘Don Carlos’? After reading the article about Jonas this weekend, I guess he won’t be in it, but that is the one thing that I am genuinely excited about hearing

Of ALL of La Cieca’s manifold ‘dos, the hands down favorite of mine is this one, the blonde beehive upsweep. It is absolutely brilliant looking, classy, chic, timeless, and further reminds everyone whom it is that we call Queen Bee.

What are youse guys worried about? No matter if MARIA CALLAS is cast in every single last role—someone will find something to kvetch and beat the breast about. Just relax and let it all roll over you.

Just relax??? Are you new here some sumptin’?

Tee hee— in fact, I am about to celebrate my fifth anniversary here on parterre, BION!

Soon I will start the onslaught of Monsieur Camille about the Devereux @ Toronto. Don’t know if it will jell but it’s worth a shot.

In the meantime, my prince, keep that parka handy!

xoxox

• luvtennis says:

Don’t you recognize the ‘do? It’s the Patsy pile. Remember Patsy of ABFAB fame. In fact, you might say that La Cieca stole that wig right off of Patsy’s head. :-) The question remains -- who is the Edina of Parterre. Saffy is easy -- it’s Kashania!!!

Kashania is SO not Saffy! She’s a little frumpelsteltskin! My kashania has all the allure of the mysterious East wrapped around him, like a holy mantle descended from and handed down by Darius the Great!!!!!

Edwina is ME!

Thank you, darling! If anyone’s Saffy (a character I like a lot, incidentally), it’s Luvt!!

• luvtennis says:

I think you are just a bit younger than me Kashie. I am soon to no longer be in my early 40s while I have it on good authority that you are only just graduated to long pants!

Camille, like Edina, is eternally 39! As was my blessed mother who was younger than me when she passed away at 63 or as she like to say thirty-nine-ish!

She often introduced as her “friend” after I reached 30. I don’t blame her. She could pass for 40 on a good day until she became ill! I never got to watch AbFAB with her, but she loved the show -- and often laughed at the little bits of herself she saw in the anti-heroines. She was full-blown heroine herself!

• Of COURSE I am Edina

• luvtennis says:

I remember when I first watched the “Birthday” episode in like ’99? And I just laughed and laughed at Edina’s desperation at turning 40. Having passed 40 4+ years back, I have a very different perspective on her meltdown.

Of course, 40 is now the new 17 so there is that! ;-)

• Rory Williams says:

I think my favorite was Eddie’s Mom. “Oh, look who’s here. It’s poor old Pats. Still blonde then, dear? Still managing to keep that up?”

• skoc211 says:

It certainly would be a coup for Gelb to get a revived Callas to sing next season. Perhaps Elisabetta in Don Carlo or her role debut in Manon? I can’t imagine she’d care for the current productions of Lucia or Traviata. Maybe she could even stick around for next season’s Roberto Devereux!

• Will says:

The MET Future Wiki page does state that it will be Don Carlos “In the original French, conducted by Yannick N-S.”
    Jonas’s name appears with a strike through, followed by Yonghoon Lee. Others: Simon Keenlyside, Furlanetto, Morris (Inquisitor), Frittoli/Lianna Haroutunian and Ekaterina Gubanova.

• Flora Amici says:

The Don Carlos was supposed to be in the original French, but we will get Don Carlo in Italian instead.

• tannengrin says:

How exciting. I wonder if there shall appear a hologram of Pete.r.Gelb or if they’ll play with a magic wall, John King-style, to light up all the productions for the season!

• sycorax says:

The Future Met Wiki has been updated. Two things:
    - The Death of Klinghoffer will be the tenth HD
    - Don Carlo lost it’s “s”

• zinka says:

Because of the negative things said about Gelb, when you get the announcemtns later, you will see an addition…The cast of Parterre will be doing the nuns in the Carmelites next season..with REAL BLADES…”Tis a far far better thing they do….(quoting Ronald Coleman). Look..we have to be thankful they let us last this long.

However, the vil CODARDO La Cieca, having heard abiut this..will be absconding to Hoboken to avoid the castigo…..shows a lot we did not know about him/her/it.

• RamiroNYC says:

IMHO, next season at the Met looks like a colossal snooze-fest. They couldn’t come up with anything more interesting than Nozze for opening night? Yawn!
      I will definitely go the the Donna del Lago, as it is one of my favorite Rossini operas, but I wish they hadn’t cast Elena with a mezzo (it is a soprano role).
      I will also see the Macbeth, mainly to see how AN fares, and it is always a treat to hear Pape.
      ‘Will also go to Iolanta/Bluebeard, because of their relative rarity here.
      I might see a couple of Aidas too. I hope to see Latonia Moore, as well as Monastyrska , who I really liked last time. And is Borodina really going to attempt Amneris at this point? She had a lot of trouble with years ago.
      Will also see the Ballo for SRAD, and Ernani with Meade.
      It will be interesting once the cancellations start to come in….

RamiroNYC

• Will says:

I just went to the Wiki and the “s” is still there in Don Carlos, except it isn’t in bold face any more the way it was earlier when I made my print-out. Strange — maybe it will be in Frentalian?

Who does the copywriting? It veers within a few lines from clunky hype to dreary lists.

Hibla Gerzmava as the three heroines in Hoffmann? Last time saw her she was nice, but sounded tight and uncomfortable singing anything above about an A.